Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

My only quibbles so far are that Roach is dumb as poo poo and seems to like to run into things and come to a dead stop while I'm trying to runaway from a level bajillion monster and that the GPS-type thingy seems to bug out every now and then and want you to run in a circle and almost never offers the shortest path to the next destination.

The only thing a good thing a Roach needs is silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Rant time: Agreed that CDPR is very consistent in creating great games with utterly hosed inventory systems. The inventory from W2:EE was more functional than this one, but on release it was total crap--I think they folded in a sorting mod so you can at least do alphabetical, weight, value, or time-acquired sorting.

"Press F to sort by latest acquired/type" is pretty damned limited and not terribly useful outside of reading the latest note I picked up. And when I'm trying to make coin, being able to sort by value so I can sell off the best-price stuff first would be really useful.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ice Fist posted:

Nobody could possibly like the inventory system. It is *the* horrible thing about this game. That said, I've gotten so used to just going into my inventory and using my oils and potions during combat that it doesn't bother me - but I don't think it's a good design decision. All potions and all bombs should just be on the combat quick wheel.

TBH, I'm doing the Green path on the skill tree - it's got some really fun and cool skills like poison on oils, extra bombs, potion effects not wearing off if you're above the toxic limit, using the correct oil giving you flat 25% damage reduction, the extra vitality associated with green mutagens, potions giving flat health on use. It's not terrible, but I'm still seriously considering just eating the 1k gold and respec'ing into combat, but at this point I just don't know.
I'm not too impressed with any of the later on skills based on how the game is going right now so I am thinking of having one set of three Red, one set of three Blue, and one set of three Green for the foreseeable future. I am most intrigued by the variety and usefulness of a lot of the alchemy skills though, much more so than combat or signs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I kept wondering if I was missing something about the inventory system. "Surely they wouldn't do something like that, right?" Nah, it's just bad. Great game otherwise but they seriously need to change that.

Why not have a radial menu like you do for quest objects/bombs/ect but just have it entirely customizable? At least then you could set a bunch of potions without as much fiddling and the system is already there. Why are there two borderline-worthless "pocket" tabs that you barely ever use?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Bort Bortles posted:

In some of the letters I have read (I think the one to the Bloody Baron for sure) they are signed by a Nilfgaardian who is in command of their "Army Group Center" which is a Nazi Germany thing (they not the only ones to ever use the term, but definitely the most well known), so I have to wonder...

I think it was Army Center Group Command; the Nilfgaardian invasion is three pronged and the arm in the Velen region was the "Center" group. It's also a location you can go it, in the SE of the map; it even has a notice board.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The Northern Realms seems to be full of racist xenophobic morons that die very quickly, usually to my sword because said idiots don't seem to quite grasp that pissing off a witcher is a seriously bad idea.

Nilfgaardians least seem to negotiate first before I kill them.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Even with 1.04 Hairworks still kicks my Pc in the jewels.

On my GTX 980 I can run everything on Ultra (Hairworks off) and play at 1440p with roughly 45 fps average (no tearing thanks to g-sync). Or I go back to 1080p with Hairworks on and get 50fps but I can't help but notice the significant 1080 vs 1440 difference.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

NeurosisHead posted:

I think it was Army Center Group Command; the Nilfgaardian invasion is three pronged and the arm in the Velen region was the "Center" group. It's also a location you can go it, in the SE of the map; it even has a notice board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Group_Centre

Moscow Valen.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I like the inventory better than Witcher 2 inventory. I had a bad habit of accidentally unequipping stuff in the second game(usually my boots). I'm curious what people consider a good inventory system though.

keylez
Dec 15, 2012

Urit posted:

You can't press E, but you can drag them to the sword and it applies just fine.

Also, you can't press E to eat food, but you CAN drag it to your quickbar, then exit the menu and press R/F to eat it in combat.

I dunno man, iCe-CuBe has some points here, some of the menus are super weird and console-ized, e.g. why can't I have 6 quick slots, and why do I have signs on 34567 instead?

In regards to the console-ized comment you had, one of the CD Projekt Red dudes had this to say (granted this was in regards to the graphics issue but it still makes sense in this context):

"If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is,"Iwinski said. "We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world."

So perhaps the menu feeling console-ized is just a by product of designing a multi platform game. I personally don't mind it, but I can see how its annoying. I'm really on board about having all those bullshit books and notes consolidated to the glossary. Its so goddamn overbearing.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

iCe-CuBe. posted:

No thanks.

Theres so much wrong with basically everything consumable related it's ridiculous.

Why do you need to reapply oils at all when you can do it in the middle of combat and they are unlimited
Why do you need to pick which bombs you carry in your pockets when you can switch them in and out in the middle of combat
Why do you need to pick which potions to carry in your quickslots when you can switch them in and out in the middle of combat

The amount of time spent in menus in this game is so loving stupid and I hate it

There are a lot of potions/bombs in the game, i don't know if there's an elegant solution to this outside of just adding a bunch of hotbars. I really don't want to open up a radial menu of 500 icons or bind unique keys for every consumable.

I agree with the oils, though but it becomes less of an issue as you upgrade them (even on death march when things take a million hits to die). I think they should either not let you coat them again until you exit combat or just make them persist.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Hammerstein posted:

Even with 1.04 Hairworks still kicks my Pc in the jewels.

On my GTX 980 I can run everything on Ultra (Hairworks off) and play at 1440p with roughly 45 fps average (no tearing thanks to g-sync). Or I go back to 1080p with Hairworks on and get 50fps but I can't help but notice the significant 1080 vs 1440 difference.

Change the grass render distance to High. Unless you're on top of a mountain overlooking vast plains you're not going to notice the difference between High and Ultra in 99% of situations. Saying this based on both my own experience and looking at some screenshots. That should get you some more FPS, especially at 1440p.

Also, someone posted awhile back how to lower the AA on hairworks. I think it's in Rendering.ini. By default it's at 8, lowering it to 4 isn't a huge visual impact and helped performance a good bit. Only exception being when Geralt's hair is wet it looks a little wonky.

e. Despite its many failings, I remember Kingdoms of Amalur having a pretty good inventory system. But it's been awhile.

Archimago fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 26, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm very slow with games like this so I'm still poking through at level 7. I just started the Fyke Isle quest and goddamn, talk about atmosphere. Witcher 3 scratches an itch I didn't really know I had. It's very good.

EDIT: when will something other than light armor start dropping. It's been slim pickings so far.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
So, I haven't tested this yet, but apparently if you're using a controller you can get directly to the map by holding Start (instead of just pressing it).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

NeurosisHead posted:

This is interesting because Nilfgaard's Army Group Center is on the coast, then :confused:

edit:

Lord Lambeth posted:

I like the inventory better than Witcher 2 inventory. I had a bad habit of accidentally unequipping stuff in the second game(usually my boots). I'm curious what people consider a good inventory system though.
Obviously not possible with a Witcher game, but no inventory management at all like in Tomb Raider 2013 :haw:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Levantine posted:

I'm very slow with games like this so I'm still poking through at level 7. I just started the Fyke Isle quest and goddamn, talk about atmosphere. Witcher 3 scratches an itch I didn't really know I had. It's very good.

EDIT: when will something other than light armor start dropping. It's been slim pickings so far.

I had this exact feeling when the Witcher 1 came out. They just nail atmosphere and you really want to visit that world. (Only as the biggest and baddest member of one of the most badass factions in the world.)

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
For those who haven't been looking at the available Mods (most of which are just shader presets or variations on 'increase sale prices'), here's a useful one that adds additional hotkey rebind options:

Extended Keybind Options Menu

It's incredibly annoying that 'Dismount Boat' can't be re-bound (and isn't even listed) by default, since if you happen to bind the 'Use Quickmenu Item' action to the same key it makes it impossible to ever get off the boat without smashing it into the rocks a few times to sink it. The above Mod addresses that issue, among others.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Theres so much wrong with basically everything consumable related it's ridiculous.

Are you talking on the hardest difficulty or something? Normally besides heal potion you don't need anything else, and for bosses you might use 3-4 things, but having juggle consumable inventory against a boss kind of makes sense since this is an RPG.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
How quickly do you gain adrenaline points using Signs with the talent for it? Is it, like, one blast of Igni gives you a pip, or do you need to use it several times? And do you have to do damage using signs, or will Axii add points?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I know that this does not help the players who use a controller, but the main thing that I need to fix the inventory issues surrounding potions and oils and bombs is to greatly expand upon the key binding feature and allow keyboard modifiers. give me Shift + 1 please and allow me to assign whatever I want to it including quick access to all the potions, oils, bombs that I want.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Xavier434 posted:

I know that this does not help the players who use a controller, but the main thing that I need to fix the inventory issues surrounding potions and oils and bombs is to greatly expand upon the key binding feature and allow keyboard modifiers. give me Shift + 1 please and allow me to assign whatever I want to it including quick access to all the potions, oils, bombs that I want.

I feel like it'd be fairly easy to allow for multiple radial menus on the controller.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

keylez posted:

In regards to the console-ized comment you had, one of the CD Projekt Red dudes had this to say (granted this was in regards to the graphics issue but it still makes sense in this context):

"If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is,"Iwinski said. "We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world."

So perhaps the menu feeling console-ized is just a by product of designing a multi platform game. I personally don't mind it, but I can see how its annoying. I'm really on board about having all those bullshit books and notes consolidated to the glossary. Its so goddamn overbearing.

Just to be clear, I do not have a problem with it being on consoles. I have a problem with the UI for PC being stomped on by the UI for consoles.

And yeah, I do wish the books/notes/letters/scrolls/scraps of bark with scribbles all got moved into the glossary rather than taking up inventory slots.

Compounding my frustration with this otherwise excellent game, I need to wait for the next few patches, because right now my save is screwed up due to that stupid bug in Pyres of Novigrad - yes, I could do sidequests, but I completed Velen for a reason - so I could go on to Novigrad - and now I'm stuck in a basement with a "secret door" and a brick that won't push despite the "press E" prompt coming up. I really don't want to restart again and hope that the bug doesn't resurface. It's especially nasty too because the bug appears at the quest triggering - which is level 4 - but the quest itself is level 10 so it's basically impossible to know if you're hosed without speedrunning to Novigrad as soon as you land in Velen and setting the difficulty to easiest and killing that Drowner in the basement, then hitting the brick to see if it works.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, first off to the guy who said that thing about the East not getting on as well without Fuedalism, have you never goddamn heard of the T'ang dynasty? Most of what you would call markers for Fuedalism are present there, simply with differing ways of achieving power and mixed in with other stuff.

Second of all, yeah I hate the Nilfgaardians but in terms of their leader, who do I want? A petulant and unstable lunatic with all the likeability of a screaming child and a face so eminently punchable it could be a game of whack-a mole or Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister version 2.0?

Saying that, you aren't really selling to me why the Nilfgaardians are bad in abstract, they just sound like any other empire from back in the day, except with serfdom replaced by slavery.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spiky Ooze posted:

Are you talking on the hardest difficulty or something? Normally besides heal potion you don't need anything else, and for bosses you might use 3-4 things, but having juggle consumable inventory against a boss kind of makes sense since this is an RPG.

"You don't need to use consumables" and "RPGs are expected to have bad inventory management" aren't very good arguments.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Hey in case anyone didnt know, you can get your passage fee to Skellige refunded upon arrival, just look around where you come ashore

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Second of all, yeah I hate the Nilfgaardians but in terms of their leader, who do I want? A petulant and unstable lunatic with all the likeability of a screaming child and a face so eminently punchable it could be a game of whack-a mole or Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister version 2.0?

This is probably 90% of why people can look over Nilgaard's problems (also the presentation thing I mentioned earlier)

Burns
May 10, 2008

I am in agreement about the inventory. it would be much appreciated if the game would tell me what notes or books I've already read for example. The quick menu is also terrible and too limited in functionality. There need to be more slots for bombs, and I find the two pocket slots to be utterly pointless besides a few quests that give you items that need to be used.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
"What does it have in its pocketses?" "Nothing, because they're pointless slots that nothing fits in."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is there just something loving broken with Novigrad or what? Even with the new patch, I still get random crashes, though at least not as frequent as before I guess. But I feel like I almost never had this problem until I got to Novigrad. It's really frustrating.

There's something so likeable and slimey about the Morvran guy, and I like how he's not just "clearly a bad guy" or "clearly a good guy". I like that a lot of the game is like that. I'm always never sure which decision to choose. I also liked that I encountered two characters I met before while in Novigrad. The Innkeeper from the very first Inn you go to at the very beginning of the game. She was not too pleased to see me and called me a murderer in front of everyone. Half the people there were like "okay?" and "It's war, everyone is a murderer" so her freakout didn't matter a whole lot.

And then I ALSO came across the dude who challenged me to a fight in the middle of a road, so he could win the heart of some girl. I beat him easily again. I thought it was funny running into him again, and I completely forgot about him. So it's cool actually seeing things I did from what back at the beginning start to resurface again.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Burns posted:

I am in agreement about the inventory. it would be much appreciated if the game would tell me what notes or books I've already read for example. The quick menu is also terrible and too limited in functionality. There need to be more slots for bombs, and I find the two pocket slots to be utterly pointless besides a few quests that give you items that need to be used.

The Magic Lamp comes up at least two times outside the quest you use it in, and you may eventually find a Horn (assuming you do a particular side quest) that automatically knocks Sirens out of the air when you use it. So the two slots do have a use.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The two pocket slots are kinda dumb. It would be better if we had 4 slots that you can either put bombs or those special items.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Alchemy build is pretty funny once you have like 8 potions running at once with indefinite duration and can spam Signs for all eternity while also basically having infinite health. But it's pretty clearly a respec build as it's near-worthless in the early game compared to the immediate benefits the other two trees provide. And requires actually fiddling with items. But casting Igni once a second forever is still funny.

The inventory management is awful and slapping level restrictions on everything and giving high-level enemies gobs of HP is just incredibly lame. I'd rather there be fewer magical or unique swords but each have its own unique stat spread and niche so that hunting them down actually means something. And there's so little medium/heavy armor available for so much of the game and all the light stuff is inferior to Temerian early or Cat/Bear/Griffin stuff later, so why does it even exist? And gently caress repairing things. They absolutely poo poo the bed with everything inventory and equipment-related.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
I'm hoping that Natalis will somehow take the helm, land some excellent political advisers, and have the wisdom to listen to them when appropriate and shut them down when they get too power-grabby... But this is Witcherverse so obviously none of that will ever happen.

Still, that's the ideal scenario I'm aiming my Geralt toward on this playthrough. I know it will all blow up in his face, the only question is how.

Also Foltest's incest was way creepier to me because it seemed strongly implied that Adda the Younger was at some point being groomed to be the new Adda the Elder, starting right with the name. Similar to the Baron, I couldn't help liking the guy on a personal level, yet can't exactly be sorry for his troubles.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

mikeraskol posted:

I've told both Triss and Yen that I love them. I feel like this won't go very well.

Your feeling is more right than you could know.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Wiseblood posted:

The two pocket slots are kinda dumb. It would be better if we had 4 slots that you can either put bombs or those special items.

This is true.

Nakar posted:

The inventory management is awful and slapping level restrictions on everything and giving high-level enemies gobs of HP is just incredibly lame.

Level 23 at the moment and haven't noticed any of this so-called "giving high-level enemies gobs of HP" thing you're talking about. High level enemies die just as quickly when you're at/near their level as low-level enemies do. If you're complaining about enemies 10+ higher level then you talking a while to whittle down... well yeah, they're obviously going to have a lot of HP compared to your damage output.

That behavior works both ways though. You yourself get more HP as you level, and enemies 6 or so levels lower than you end up being barely able to scratch you.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 26, 2015

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Macaluso posted:

Is there just something loving broken with Novigrad or what? Even with the new patch, I still get random crashes, though at least not as frequent as before I guess. But I feel like I almost never had this problem until I got to Novigrad. It's really frustrating.

Most of my crashes - outside of the inventory screen, which has been fixed - happen in Novigrad, particularly during dialogues. Since I've spent the majority of my playtime in Velen, I kind of suspect that Novigrad has issues.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Wiseblood posted:

Four directions on the d-pad, four categories of useful things (oils, potions, special inventory, decoctions); standard radial is signs up top and bombs down low, tapping a direction on the d-pad with the radial open changes it to a selection wheel for that type. In-inventory option for each re-usable to define whether or not it appears on the quick select menu. No limit, just awful thin slices if you've got everything turned on for some categories. Only eat food from the inventory direct. Fixed. (Also shitloads more tabs are needed, and maybe a long animation for applying oils in-combat while I'm wishing for stuffed unicorns.)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Offkorn posted:

Level 23 at the moment and haven't noticed any of this so-called "giving high-level enemies gobs of HP" thing you're talking about. High level enemies die just as quickly when you're at/near their level as low-level enemies do. If you're complaining about enemies 10+ higher level then you talking a while to whittle down... well yeah, they're obviously going to have more HP than you. You yourself get more HP as you level.
That's because higher-level weapons, which are level-restricted, have markedly superior DPS, and enemies are scaled up to compensate for this.

What I'm suggesting is the difference in DPS between the lowest-end and highest-end weapons be shrunk somewhat, but if this were the only thing that was done in a mod or something the higher-level enemies would then have way too much HP and that too would have to be adjusted.

Higher-level or more dangerous monsters should still obviously have more HP, it just shouldn't be infinitely tedious to do it because motherfucking Geralt of goddamn Rivia is somehow not comfortable enough with his swordplay to use that sword that has +100 damage over the one he's using right now even though he has the sword sitting in his backpack.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Oh hey one more complaint regarding inventory: I'm still only level 11 but it seems pretty obvious at this point that despite all the gear in the game I'm going to end up rolling deep with Witcher School stuff, thereby making most of these lootable trousers/gloves/breastplates pretty drat pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Nakar posted:

That's because higher-level weapons, which are level-restricted, have markedly superior DPS, and enemies are scaled up to compensate for this.

What I'm suggesting is the difference in DPS between the lowest-end and highest-end weapons be shrunk somewhat, but if this were the only thing that was done in a mod or something the higher-level enemies would then have way too much HP and that too would have to be adjusted.

Higher-level or more dangerous monsters should still obviously have more HP, it just shouldn't be infinitely tedious to do it because motherfucking Geralt of goddamn Rivia is somehow not comfortable enough with his swordplay to use that sword that has +100 damage over the one he's using right now even though he has the sword sitting in his backpack.

See my edit: "That behavior works both ways though. You yourself get more HP as you level, and enemies 6 or so levels lower than you end up being barely able to scratch you.".

The existing system of HP and weapon DPS is perfectly logical. Higher quality weapons do more damage, and higher level enemies (and witchers) have more HP. There is nothing wrong with this and it's balanced quite well. The only issue is not being able to use your high quality weapons because they have level requirements... which is annoying, but understandable from a game-balance perspective since this is an open-world game and you can go (almost) anywhere you want right from the start.

Unless you want to completely remove static-level drops or make it so recipes make items scaled to your level, removing the level requirements from items is a non-starter in terms of game balance.