Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Eimi posted:

XIV's story doesn't really get good til Coerthas, or arguably after the 2.2 patch.

The biggest redeeming features of the ffxiv storyline are 1) they lead you to all of these neat referential fights like gilgamesh on a big bridge and the primals and all of that, and 2) you only have to do it once.

The thing that turns a lot of people off in ffxiv is that it starts out assuming you know nothing about MMOs, and the early to mid content is designed around that premise. If you're a regular poster in the mmo hmo, you have problems and know all about threat and how the tank-healer-dps thing works and what dungeons are and all of that poo poo, so it's got a start like molasses, but once you get to the end of the game the rotations are actually fairly involved just because of the poo poo you do between GCDs and, in some cases, actually using the correct ability instead of completely loving your rotation (BLM, gently caress you transpose :argh:) and the fights have enough complexity to keep veteran wow raiders happy.

Granted, a slow start really is a big problem with a game. The beginning of a song of fire and ice is why I could never get into the game of thrones books, so it didn't really matter if all the cool stuff after was amazing if your start is so slow that people just can't get through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
A part of me wants to see Wildstar become successful only to witness what retarded timesink raid mechanics they would come up with. I remember hearing about FF11's Absolute Virtue raids taking ~18 hours and people were getting physically ill.

That's what I want to see again.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I want Wildstar to survive under this same mindset for that exact reason, but I don't necessarily want it to be "successful" as far as the industry (aka shareholders) define the term because that would just mean more MMOs like Wildstar. One is enough.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Mayor McCheese posted:

I remember hearing about FF11's Absolute Virtue raids taking ~18 hours and people were getting physically ill.

how is this loving legal

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

It was technically the result of a bug and players weren't supposed to be able to fight Absolute Virtue yet. But once it started happening, they couldn't/wouldn't admit to the bug that let players fight AV, so they just let it go on... Sounds kind of familiar, actually...

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I want Wildstar to succeed because I like "sci-fi wow" and the cartoony aesthetic and would waste time on this game if they ever fix the developers attitudes.

I've been playing Rift lately and, is it just me, or is Rift basically what Wildstar wanted to be in terms of difficulty but better? There's always stuff for casual players to do but even their new version of LFR has one-hit-kill mechanics.

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002
Dang, with all the new replies itt I thought they finally dropped to F2P.

I am disappointed.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This is still better than the actual FFXIV thread, where people cry about how preview trailers are full of spoilers.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Xavier434 posted:

I want Wildstar to survive under this same mindset for that exact reason, but I don't necessarily want it to be "successful" as far as the industry (aka shareholders) define the term because that would just mean more MMOs like Wildstar. One is enough.

We need a game like Wildstar to survive solely to be a holding pen for grognard developers and the players like them. If it shuts down those devs are just going to move on to make more terrible games.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

cthulhoo posted:

how is this loving legal

It was a long story, and not entirely the result of a bug. Basically AV was released with a super secret kill strat. But this is SE circa 2006-7~ so if they changed a fundamental aspect of your class the patch notes would read 'X class has been adjusted, please look forward to it." Vagueness was an artform. At least on my server we fought AV for around that much time, but it wasn't just our guild, it was a big enough deal we brought in some others to help rotate when we ran out of max level jobs (you could delevel) or just had to sleep. Eventually a method to kill AV was found where you glitched it so it didn't do any moves and you just wailed on it. :v:

I did hear that SE eventually revealed the 'legit' way to beat it, like 5 years after it was relevant content.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

I did hear that SE eventually revealed the 'legit' way to beat it, like 5 years after it was relevant content.

it was a youtube video that was ridiculously vague and mostly pictures of the combat log of people using 2 hour abilities

the "legit" way was that if you cast the same 2-hour it was then it would interrupt and lock that 2-hour temporarily. so instead of hoping it doesn't use benediction you just hope it doesn't use it too much.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Is WoW really that big of a train wreck right now? I quit after the first raid tier of WoD out of boredom but now it looks like you got dudes still yelling about wanting WoD flying saying they are the playerbase majority alongside a bunch of people yelling at Blizzard because they want a Vanilla WoW server for some loving reason also claiming they are the playerbase majority.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
there's nothing to do at max level but raid or play facebook games

the flying thing is a Hot Button Issue for some reason but it's not why wow is really terrible atm

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

there's literally nowhere to fly so yeah, who cares

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
if i could merely hover 420 miles above the ground doing nothing wod would be so much better than being on the ground doing nothing. alas

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

well at least i would stare on my super duper rare flying mounts rear end while doing nothing

its the little things

e: garrison complete lack of customization is really lol worthy, i'm having way too much fun in swtor with my imaginary house, this is pretty much my loving endgame atm

me irl

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 26, 2015

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Calls for a classic server have started in WoW? That's when you know something is wrong and set off the alarms. If people want to play the objectively worse game they remember over the game you currently provide, there's a problem. Just look at EQ. The first calls for retro servers started just after PoP got old...

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I played on WoW vanilla server once for about a minute. Made a Rogue, hit a level 1 mob, saw "your dagger skill increased to 1" and all the horrible memories came flooding back.

Never again.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
if you consider grognards whining for a classic server a sign the game has fallen then you better be prepared to revert every game back to it's first incarnation

there's people who pine for ffxiv 1.0 for christ's sake

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

nerd nostalgia for poo poo ancient obtuse games is sickening

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
a lot of it is "loving game's too easy now and more people can play it" which is a mentalism i don't loving get at all

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

e: disregard, there's a better thread for that

Shy fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 26, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah this definitely sounds like some loud people on the internet making themselves sound like they represent a lot more people than they actually do.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

sword_man.gif posted:

there's people who pine for ffxiv 1.0 for christ's sake

Excuse me while I go to the corner to weep for humanity.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

cthulhoo posted:

there's literally nowhere to fly so yeah, who cares

You could fly from your garrison craft huts to the loving mission board.

I'm so glad I quit this loving expansion before I got invested past the first raid tier.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
People have been demanding classic World of Warcraft servers since the game moved on from classic to Burning Crusade. I wonder how many people would actually play officially sanctioned classic servers all the way through to the hard and grindy content.

My guess is a tiny number, since it's such a inaccessible, dated, and niche product. But enough about Wildstar... :rimshot:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

a lot of it is "loving game's too easy now and more people can play it" which is a mentalism i don't loving get at all

While they have no mythics done and barely any heroic bosses killed.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

sword_man.gif posted:

there's nothing to do at max level but raid or play facebook games

the flying thing is a Hot Button Issue for some reason but it's not why wow is really terrible atm

More or less. Flying is merely a symptom of the problem, and that problem is that WoW is an understaffed game with a dreadful dearth of current content. Raiders tell me that the Raids out right now are some of the best in the game's history, but they also tell me that they have no reason to log on anymore EXCEPT to raid. As this thread has proven an MMO who can only provide raiding content is on the way out, at least Blizzard is rattling on about cupcakes and talking about how HARDCORE they are.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Roflan posted:

Calls for a classic server have started in WoW? That's when you know something is wrong and set off the alarms. If people want to play the objectively worse game they remember over the game you currently provide, there's a problem. Just look at EQ. The first calls for retro servers started just after PoP got old...
that has happened to every single mmo thats released an expansion

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

WoW is an understaffed game

wrong. they're very lazy, not understaffed. but putting forth that content is so hard to make you guys gets people defending them, so it goes

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Isn't WoW's codebase pretty much incomprehensible to anyone without a degree in quantum physics? I imagine that might contribute somewhat to their ridiculous development times.

Of course I can't imagine Wildstar's code is much better. In fact I bet it looks pretty similar since a bunch of WoW's devs helped make it. :v:

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 26, 2015

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
WoW's coding is a mess; the game is partially controlled by killing invisible bunnies. No joke. But it has the excuse of being built on a very dated engine as well as being a decade old. Wildstar, being a 2014 release, has no such excuses.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

FFXIV is like WOW and therefore it is the second-best MMO out there, after WOW. Parts of Guild Wars 2 are cool too but it's not as good as WOW because I really like raiding and item progression. Wildstar could have been good if they had based it on 2014 WOW instead of 2004 WOW. Basically I like WOW.

But what I really wish is for The Secret World to have been good and taken off.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Secret World had fantastic dungeons.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mizuti posted:

WoW's coding is a mess; the game is partially controlled by killing invisible bunnies. No joke.
To elaborate on this a bit, the WoW codebase has (I believe) only three methods for resolving quests: killing something, collecting something, or talking to someone. This is really obvious if you go back and remember how vanilla quests worked, but that was a long time ago and Blizzard has added a much wider variety of quests since then. However, since they can't change how quests resolve behind the scenes without tearing out the entire engine and probably breaking the game, the quick solution that someone at Blizzard came up with to handle the stages of more unusual quests was to 1) spawn an invisible, untargetable mob below the world geometry, and 2) kill it instantly and give the kill credit to the player, advancing the quest progress.

And this is the AAA, super-polished big boy of the MMO industry. :v:

Pierson posted:

I really, really wanted to like Secret World, but I couldn't even get past the tutorial. I'm not even sure why, it isn't even bad, just... super dull gameplay.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I'm p. convinced that even if Wildstar becomes a decent game, the fanbase is going to discourage people from trying it again.

"Hey, I hear Wildstar implemented some cool changes, I should see what they are. Better load up the official forums and check the active threads."

quote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. We're playing a game here, not waiting for our allowances. GO PLAY! Why keep, not only yourself, but everyone around you miserable with incessant complaints of, "they won't give me stuff," rather than playing the game to get the stuff.

My brother joined a soccer team when he was younger. He never went to practice and only showed up at games to sit on the bench and eat the team snacks. At the end of the season, they gave him a trophy. That's what this feels like, the lazy sitting around waiting to be handed progression rather than actually trying to experience it. The problem is, they've been given so many trophies for nothing in the past that they actually feel entitled to it... for no reason other than, "I'm here."

quote:

Yeah, we're in the "No Child Left Behind" era.

Especially with video games. Thank you PS2 with "cheats" as a default menu option in video games, and Mario Bros Wii that completes the level FOR YOU when you die enough.

quote:

If the game turns into a casual handout of progression then I feel zero desire to stay for the next few years. It's not saving the game, it's giving it some painkillers before it finally croaks. It is a diamond in the rough and you wanna turn it into another rock.

quote:

Nothing I'm saying is remotely deceitful. I'm countering the claim that Carbine was focused on hardcore content to the exclusion of casuals. Leveling is content.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

Seriously. It's too bad the basic gameplay is a bit clunky and both the dungeons and abilities are imbalanced as hell. Story, atmosphere and almost complete lack of pointless trash was very welcome.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Asimo posted:

I really, really wanted to like Secret World, but I couldn't even get past the tutorial. I'm not even sure why, it isn't even bad, just... super dull gameplay.

I had fun until I got to the first instance that required doing a jumping puzzle and then I noped out. The only MMO with decent jumping puzzles is GW2, trying to jump around like an idiot in Secret World felt super sluggish.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Well the problem with TSW was that the UI was poo poo and the game was buggier than Wildstar and (while I'm not an expert) I'm pretty sure the combat mechanics regardless of build were all distilled down to "get 5 combo points and use a finisher".

The world and the quests and the atmosphere were all top tier though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm p. convinced that even if Wildstar becomes a decent game, the fanbase is going to discourage people from trying it again.

I'm going to miss quotes like this when this game inevitably gets tossed on NCSoft's big pile of shutdown MMOs.

• Locked thread