Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

timrenzi574 posted:

It looks mostly external but you'd have to ask the seller to be sure.

I'm going to be honest, the listing says it's from a Pawn Shop/ ewelry store. Should that be a little sketchy even though it is from a high rated seller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm going to be honest, the listing says it's from a Pawn Shop/ ewelry store. Should that be a little sketchy even though it is from a high rated seller?

Plenty of pawn shops deal in a lot of photo gear - how much this one does yo ucould probably see by the feedback and what it's for. Photo gear is worth a lot of $$, so it's something people bring to pawn shops when they are in dire straits and need some cash.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I dunno about the brand but it has good enough reviews and at this price who cares really?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AV3XJOU/?tag=dreldarion-20

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I dunno about the brand but it has good enough reviews and at this price who cares really?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AV3XJOU/?tag=dreldarion-20

Dr. Eldarion gettin' some referral love.

And it takes exactly one time to lose data from a bargain brand to find out that you actually really do care.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

High read speed is nice, complete lack of write speed should be a worry.

I have a Transcend and a Sandisk side by side, not had a problem with either.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 23, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

timrenzi574 posted:

Tamron USA (not sure about other countries) -will not- service gray market equipment, even for $$. It's not just a refusal to honor grey market warranties - they will not fix it at all.

This sucks. How do they deal with people who buy stuff on holiday, or with pros who work in more than one country?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

blowfish posted:

This sucks. How do they deal with people who buy stuff on holiday, or with pros who work in more than one country?

I have no idea, but it's obnoxious. Probably why pros don't buy from these companies.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I got the lens. What flash would you guys recommend that is <$80? I remember getting angry that the previous flash I had wouldn't be able to auto-focus well in dark rooms.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

timrenzi574 posted:

I have no idea, but it's obnoxious. Probably why pros don't buy from these companies.

Yeah, but I've heard Nikon can also be obstinate about servicing non-US stuff so...

red19fire
May 26, 2010

somnambulist posted:

I'm not sure if this even exists.

I have a small little photo studio in my apartment, and to save time/ be more versatile, I want to use a support system similar to this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/45652-REG/Savage_63151_Multiple_Polevault_System.html

But I don't want to buy the entire system, just the part that would (I'm assuming) attach itself to the top of my existing system.

So basically: Do they sell a part that attaches to the top of background stands that enables you to use more than one backdrop at a time without buying an entirely new system?

You can get away with using a bunch of super clamps with J hooks, they'll run about $30 each. There's also a triple j hook that's meant to go on an autopole with a chain system, using it on a regular stand might be too top heavy and unstable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M4HTE8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_elDyvb0P4QQQY

This is what that is, it looks like you could bolt it into a wall, too, and it should have a brass stud for a super clamp on the back.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 24, 2015

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Speaking of Tamron, dropped my 28-75 2.8 yesterday. Was in a hurry to change lenses and it rolled off a chair.

:suicide: It was my main workhorse for almost 10 years.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

ah forget it posted:

Speaking of Tamron, dropped my 28-75 2.8 yesterday. Was in a hurry to change lenses and it rolled off a chair.

:suicide: It was my main workhorse for almost 10 years.

Yuup, that looks like de-centering, all right.
Maybe you can DIY it? Should be a matter of reseating the offending optical group. Probably not really feasible with a modern zoom lens though.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
I want to dick around with some flash photography, but I don't want to drop too much money since I'd rather spend it on glass. What's the cheapest option I can go for, that won't break apart on me after light use? I'm closely eyeying the Yongnuo YN568, but the price tag seems ridiculously low. I'd hate for the thing to break apart after a week or two.

Should I save up for a Speedlite 430EX instead? Any of you have recommendations for a decent flash? I'm a complete novice at this, so I don't think I'd fare well with the manual only flashes.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Muttonchips posted:

I want to dick around with some flash photography, but I don't want to drop too much money since I'd rather spend it on glass. What's the cheapest option I can go for, that won't break apart on me after light use? I'm closely eyeying the Yongnuo YN568, but the price tag seems ridiculously low. I'd hate for the thing to break apart after a week or two.

Should I save up for a Speedlite 430EX instead? Any of you have recommendations for a decent flash? I'm a complete novice at this, so I don't think I'd fare well with the manual only flashes.

What are you trying to light?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

red19fire posted:

You can get away with using a bunch of super clamps with J hooks, they'll run about $30 each. There's also a triple j hook that's meant to go on an autopole with a chain system, using it on a regular stand might be too top heavy and unstable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M4HTE8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_elDyvb0P4QQQY

This is what that is, it looks like you could bolt it into a wall, too, and it should have a brass stud for a super clamp on the back.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Muttonchips posted:

Everyone seems to love the Yongnuo stuff, I only see really solid reviews for it. I'll be going that path myself, just not sure which model(s) yet.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I found a company that makes hand painted backdrops in the style of Oliphant for significantly cheaper. I'm ordering a few, I'll give my opinions when they get here.

This one

backdrop by David Franco, on Flickr

I'm getting the first and third options

and this one

It's about 900 euros (1000 usd) for all 4 including shipping as opposed to 2 grand for a single oliphant.

I'm optimistic about it, I hope they're great quality.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

somnambulist posted:

What are you trying to light?

I want to shoot people- especially indoors. I've never really messed around with flash photography before (save for the pop-up ones which flatten everything out).

Do any of you have any experience with Yongnuo?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Muttonchips posted:

I'm closely eyeying the Yongnuo YN568, but the price tag seems ridiculously low. I'd hate for the thing to break apart after a week or two.

Yongnuo flashes are really well constructed. Don't waste your money on brand-name flashes.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Muttonchips posted:

I want to shoot people- especially indoors. I've never really messed around with flash photography before (save for the pop-up ones which flatten everything out).

Do any of you have any experience with Yongnuo?

I have a Yongnuo YN-560 iii and the TX radio control. I'm not the most experienced when it comes to flash but it seems robust enough and works great with the TX controller. I'm going to be picking up another 2 yn-560s in a few months.

There's no TTL metering with these but they allow full manual control. For the price I really don't think they can be beat.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Thorpe posted:

I have a Yongnuo YN-560 iii and the TX radio control. I'm not the most experienced when it comes to flash but it seems robust enough and works great with the TX controller. I'm going to be picking up another 2 yn-560s in a few months.

There's no TTL metering with these but they allow full manual control. For the price I really don't think they can be beat.

http://www.amazon.com/YN600EX-RT-YN...eywords=yongnuo

This is the model I'm eyeing. I'm assuming this will do everything I need it to do. Thanks for the help!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Muttonchips posted:

http://www.amazon.com/YN600EX-RT-YN...eywords=yongnuo

This is the model I'm eyeing. I'm assuming this will do everything I need it to do. Thanks for the help!

Consider going for the YN568 instead, which you can pair with the YN622C tranceiver (The price is for two tranceivers), for off-camera flash on demand (without needing a cable attaching the flash to the camera)
I do not think the YN600 is compatible with any Yongnuo tranceivers yet, so if you want that one off-camera you need 2 of them.
Remember to get a "softbox" for the flash you choose as well.

Buy a tranceiver for each flash and 1 additional one to put on the camera.

Real estate photographers here bring a bag of these flashes and put them all over the apartments they photograph, under couches, on top of cupboards etc, so that every photo they take is completely devoid of any shadow giving the illusion of a bigger apartment. Editing photos is not legal, but whatever goes when you take the actual photo.
Its popular among wedding photographers as well. Just hide these babies all over the venue and whenever you take a photo indoors you get good light.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 26, 2015

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Ineptitude posted:

Consider going for the YN568 instead, which you can pair with the YN622C tranceiver (The price is for two tranceivers), for off-camera flash on demand (without needing a cable attaching the flash to the camera)
I do not think the YN600 is compatible with any Yongnuo tranceivers yet, so if you want that one off-camera you need 2 of them.
Remember to get a "softbox" for the flash you choose as well.

Buy a tranceiver for each flash and 1 additional one to put on the camera.

Real estate photographers here bring a bag of these flashes and put them all over the apartments they photograph, under couches, on top of cupboards etc, so that every photo they take is completely devoid of any shadow giving the illusion of a bigger apartment. Editing photos is not legal, but whatever goes when you take the actual photo.
Its popular among wedding photographers as well. Just hide these babies all over the venue and whenever you take a photo indoors you get good light.

Should I go ahead and go for the YN600 if I don't want to use more than one flash?I just can't see myself using multiple flash set ups quite yet. I figure by the time I'm ready, Yongnuo will have released a compatible transceiver. I'm assuming if I don't even know what a transceiver is, I probably won't find a use for it. Thanks for the tip about the softbox!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Which Yongnuo flash should I get? I just want a flash that does its job and has TTL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YONGNUO-E-T...=item1c20881dd5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YongNuo-YN4...=item2a40fb0a5b
http://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-YN568-Flash-Speedlite-Speed/dp/B00DB21TCM/ref=pd_sim_421_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Z40KC15HSHMC7Y0X4DN

Are there any significant differences between these flashes?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Get the YN-568EX II.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

dakana posted:

Get the YN-568EX II.

So, I take it the 600EX isn't a big improvement over the YN-568? There's like a $20 difference so it wouldn't matter either way, but you're the second person in this thread to recommend it.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Muttonchips posted:

So, I take it the 600EX isn't a big improvement over the YN-568? There's like a $20 difference so it wouldn't matter either way, but you're the second person in this thread to recommend it.

If you get the transceivers separately , rather than the flashes with them built in, you can also use them for manual flashes, monolights, etc. if you go with the 600ex system , you're only using those.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

timrenzi574 posted:

If you get the transceivers separately , rather than the flashes with them built in, you can also use them for manual flashes, monolights, etc. if you go with the 600ex system , you're only using those.

I'll go ahead and go with the YN-568EX II! No point in asking for advice if I'm going to ignore it.

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
Anyone have a Bessa R4? I'm wondering if it is comparable to a Leica M6, or if its worth forking over Leicabucks to use M mount lenses.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ethanfr0me posted:

Anyone have a Bessa R4? I'm wondering if it is comparable to a Leica M6, or if its worth forking over Leicabucks to use M mount lenses.

Leicas always feel better than the others like Bessas and Hexars etc. If you can afford one, you should get it. It's pretty much like asking whether you should get a BMW vs a Toyota. Both will get you to a destination but one will feel a lot better. It won't affect the quality of your photos normally though.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Muttonchips posted:

I'll go ahead and go with the YN-568EX II! No point in asking for advice if I'm going to ignore it.

It's always good to get more info and ask why people are recommending things than blindly follow groupthink.

Yeah, going with what the dude above said the 568 is a more versatile system since you can get the yn-622 transceivers and use them with other flashes and lights rather than only using the rf system in the 600. I have the YN-568 II and a set of the 622s, and can have wireless multiflash TTL high-speed sync if I want it. That's nuts for such an inexpensive system. It has been rock solid for weddings, too. During receptions, I like to have a key light (umbrella if I have the space) at about 45 degrees to my subjects and a bare light behind them for rim or side light. The 622 transceiver even has a built in af assist grid that it'll project to help focus in the dark without a flash on camera.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

dakana posted:

It's always good to get more info and ask why people are recommending things than blindly follow groupthink.

Yeah, going with what the dude above said the 568 is a more versatile system since you can get the yn-622 transceivers and use them with other flashes and lights rather than only using the rf system in the 600. I have the YN-568 II and a set of the 622s, and can have wireless multiflash TTL high-speed sync if I want it. That's nuts for such an inexpensive system. It has been rock solid for weddings, too. During receptions, I like to have a key light (umbrella if I have the space) at about 45 degrees to my subjects and a bare light behind them for rim or side light. The 622 transceiver even has a built in af assist grid that it'll project to help focus in the dark without a flash on camera.

They have ripoff hypersync too, so you can do high speed sync with manual flashes and monolights if they have a long enough duration at high power. The 622's really are awesome

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

dakana posted:

Get the YN-568EX II.

Is this post directed to me, Mutton, or both of us?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is this post directed to me, Mutton, or both of us?

In my opinion it was directed at both of you :)

Muttonchips, even though you don't have immediate plans to use a multi flash setup the ability to have an off-camera flash is invaluable so i'd still highly recommend getting the transceiver pack.
A transceiver is both a TRANSmitter and a reCEIVER, hence the name. There are other setups where you mount a transmitter on the camera and a receiver on the flash, but a tranceiver system is more flexible.
Another big advantage of the YN-622's is that you can also mount a flash on the camera itself. There are some systems where you cannot mount a flash on the camera if you put a transmitter/ceiver on it.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

dakana posted:

Absolutely! But in this case when I clearly have no idea what I'm doing I feel it's best to go with the conventional advice. Also, it's :10bux::10bux: cheaper so there's that too.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Ethanfr0me posted:

Use the Bessa with Leica glass. Rumour has it that Leica and Voigtlander use exactly the same sensors.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Anyone else?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

HPL posted:

Use the Bessa with Leica glass. Rumour has it that Leica and Voigtlander use exactly the same sensors.

yeah the sensor is called film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Considering the tiny price difference, and the major feature difference, it'd be stupid to buy anything other than the YN568. The 467 and 468 don't even have a full control set, the 467 doesn't even have an LCD screen to say what you have set.