Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
The tissue box is priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Oooh, Got the Time would be a good one, especially for the bass so...oh, right.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

whypick1 posted:

Oooh, Got the Time would be a good one, especially for the bass so...oh, right.

There's a Royal Blood song so you never know

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

...huh. Okay?

quote:

Previously, Thresher admitted, fans meant very little. Their capital carried little weight. In Rock Band 4, “you accumulate fans per geographic location across the world, and fans gain you access to new opportunities that unlock special, cool – we’re still working on it – but special Easter Eggs and that kind of thing. So, if you have fans in a certain region, you might be able to have a cool metal gig, you might have a big set list, you might see avenues you haven’t seen before.”

Well, I mean, if they let you dud out your chracter in freeplay however you like then okay but hm.

Anyway, "salted meats" means 'Hamdix' is back, and it's funny again!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I wonder if they actually have metrics to say that people like the "story mode" aspects.

Everyone I know hated it because it means you can't necessarily play the songs you want* or dress up your paper doll how you'd like without doing "chores" to unlock.

*I think they got rid of unlocking songs for RB3 at least.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

~Coxy posted:

I wonder if they actually have metrics to say that people like the "story mode" aspects.

Everyone I know hated it because it means you can't necessarily play the songs you want* or dress up your paper doll how you'd like without doing "chores" to unlock.

*I think they got rid of unlocking songs for RB3 at least.

I like it well enough. It forces me to play songs I otherwise wouldn't, or reminds me of songs I forgot I had.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah there was no song locking, thank God (unlike GH6/GHWOR which hid 2112 and the Zomg Uber Hard Tier songs behind progress) but goddamn it I like playing dress-up more or less uninhibited!

RB2 had a cash system for like 99% of the items in the game, so outside of some hidden items like the Bo Diddley rectangle guitar (which didn't even show up in the shop until you unlocked it) it was all at your disposal. RB3 on the other hand locked a lot behind in-game accomplishments, even from Pro instruments and equipment. The worst though was that a basic jacket-and-tie combo required you to save other band members 50 times in a game with No-Fail mode. They took away the "Add Art" function off a lot of costume options, too, which was a double bummer... mostly because it seemed like it was almost at random which allowed for it and which didn't. It was kinda weird all around.

These are all the most minuscule of gripes but it meant I couldn't recreate my old look and I still get a little huffy about it. And no I'm not going to grind out fake band member saves because I still have some dignity standards. I still managed to make a few decent characters; I guess they really prioritized the faces and body types more, which hey, fair enough.

The facial hair in RB3 was all chunky-looking and strange, too.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Gaspar Lewis posted:

They took away the "Add Art" function off a lot of costume options, too, which was a double bummer... mostly because it seemed like it was almost at random which allowed for it and which didn't. It was kinda weird all around.

Most of the items that had art support in RB2 still support it in RB3 but the "add art" button was hidden because either a bug or laziness. You can trick art onto un-artable clothing by putting it on something supported and then switching shirts I think.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Telex posted:

Fake plastic drums just aren't worth paying to move across country.

They disassemble pretty easy. I've got all our instruments in a rubbermaid tub thing (4 guitars, 1 drum kit, 1 keyboard) and there's still room for other stuff in the tub. I think this is the third move I've made with them.

sba fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 27, 2015

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

The story mode in RB2 and RB3 was great fun for me, until you got to the part where it was 'play these boring gigs to progress'. At least it wasn't like RB1.

I was pretty excited for Tribute until I realized I already own that song on RB since loving 2009.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Merijn posted:

The story mode in RB2 and RB3 was great fun for me, until you got to the part where it was 'play these boring gigs to progress'. At least it wasn't like RB1.

I was pretty excited for Tribute until I realized I already own that song on RB since loving 2009.

Yeah, I think that's the only song I recognize by name on this list, but likewise, I already own it.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Do repeats really matter in such a drastically different game?

/optimistic

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

toymach1ne posted:

Do repeats really matter in such a drastically different game?

/optimistic

If you're only buying one game, duplicates don't matter at all. I'm just musing on how apparently out of touch I am with the kind of person GH:L is attempting to woo over to their side.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

If you're only buying one game, duplicates don't matter at all. I'm just musing on how apparently out of touch I am with the kind of person GH:L is attempting to woo over to their side.

If you check the replies on twitter to the setlist reveals the excited ones are mostly young girls or scene kids. Which is good because that's a pretty huge market for Activision to tap into.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

That explains Band Hero too. :suicide:

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Merijn posted:

That explains Band Hero too. :suicide:

Band Hero had amazing pop and soft rock classics. GHL doesn't. Not saying it doesn't have good music, I'm sure they picked the right songs for their market, but 20 years from now I'm not sure of how many of the songs released we will easily remember, something that can't be said for plenty of Band Hero songs.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But that's true of any music game. Kids these days have no clue who Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins are, let alone Strokes, Molly Hatchet etc. We are all just out of touch old men looking for comfort songs. It's partly why Rock Band 3 sold so bad. They tried to cater to nostalgia. Who the hell under the age of 25 knows or cares about Huey Lewis?

Actually I can't even remember what was on RB3s set list except that and antibodies.

Alas, we are not the market.

Edit; J Giels band and Chicago :laffo:

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 28, 2015

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Abu Dave posted:

But that's true of any music game. Kids these days have no clue who Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins are, let alone Strokes, Molly Hatchet etc. We are all just out of touch old men looking for comfort songs. It's partly why Rock Band 3 sold so bad. They tried to cater to nostalgia. Who the hell under the age of 25 knows or cares about Huey Lewis?

Actually I can't even remember what was on RB3s set list except that and antibodies.

I like the Strokes but I seriously wonder if they got any new fans as a result of Comedown Machine.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Abu Dave posted:

No poo poo.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Kids today listen to different music than the 35 year old fatboys of this forum. This is an interesting and insightful post.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not even kids, the money having public.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Kids today :argh:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Kids today :argh:

Actually, you will find that market demographics show that most informed purchasers today enjoy Kids Today, and thus your complaints are invalid, meaningless, and unimportant. You can find more of my posts in the Xbox One hate thread.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Abu Dave posted:

Marketing is one thing and it's ok to sell products based on the lowest common denominator. But knowledge is different, you can't say that it's nostalgic or comforting to read books published before you were born. Actually, if you only know art, pop or classic, from after you were born, you (not "you", "you" as in the one who does this) live in a pit of ignorance. I can see people not knowing older movies because a movie takes dedicated time to watch, but reading books or listening to 4 minute songs is not that time consuming and if you don't know what's been released before you were born, shame on you. :) Again, not a marketing thing, that's a different matter. But knowing your musical, literary, movie, etc. history is not lame, it's good, it's how it should be. I grew up in the 80s and started listening to anything before then, starting from the 50s, while I obviously absorbed Madonna, Culture Club, Phil Collins, etc. via radio and MTV (yes, they used to show music videos).

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Abu Dave is your average sort-of-vitriolic Something Awful Goon Poster, if he makes a post with WACKY WILD AND CRAZY (read: inflammatory) claims, you're probably better off ignoring him. Then again, controversy gets people to post at all, so... :shrug:

My opinion: RB4 will probably try and cater to many demographics, just like RB1-3 did. The RB3 disc did skew a little more toward indie, '80s stuff, and classic rock, but it had Tokio Hotel, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, and Paramore, too. If they land a few 2015 radio hits they'll be fine.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Also these dumb kids are not even that likely to research the setlist of a music game before they buy it. I doubt that old songs really deterred kids from buying RB3. There were a lot of factors involved.

I haven't used any next-gen consoles yet, so I'm not familiar with the shop interfaces, but they need to make buying content as easy as possible for these new games to succeed. Kids gotta be buying DLC like it's iTunes or IAP in a bad mobile game. Like so easy that they buy poo poo on accident sometimes. Really it's messed up if like Candy Crush can make a ton of money and Rock Band can't. Again I have no experience with new consoles so I hope the infrastructure makes this feasible.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
We all know the teens are digging Pearl Jam's latest album, that's for sure.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I literally had no idea Pearl Jam released a new album 2 years ago.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Counterpoint to ':argh: Those Kids' - Turns out there's a reason I actually do like the Chicago, etc, stuff! :v:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/09/05/219278386/turns-out-your-kids-really-did-love-that-music-you-played

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
The RB3 setlist wasn't hampered by tasteless song selection, it was hampered by indirectly tasteless song selection because a majority of the on-disc songs had to have keys.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
C3 custom song releases for May 29, 2015:

New! Sonic the Hedgehog C01 4-pack
  • Crush 40 - "Knight of the Wind" K 2x (DVDSmith)
  • Crush 40 - "Open Your Heart" 2x (DVDSmith and Gigakoops)
  • Crush 40 - "What I'm Made Of..." (DVDSmith)
  • Sonic Adventure 2 - "Escape from the City" 2x (DVDSmith)
New! Singles
  • Radiohead - "Nude" M (Ruck Bogers 22 ft. BearzUnlimited)
  • Rick James - "Super Freak" (Nunchuck, Sygenysis, and farottone)
  • T-ara - "Little Apple (ft. Chopsticks Brothers)" (AddyMilldike)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Hell yes to Super Freak! I was just thinking to myself that it's a shame that it's not in rockband.

Also, it's me. I'm the guy who wants more Sonic songs, so yay for that too.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Needs more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0hV3dea9g

(No it doesn't.)

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

pksage posted:

Today is the best day

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

elf help book posted:

Actually, you will find that market demographics show that most informed purchasers today enjoy Kids Today, and thus your complaints are invalid, meaningless, and unimportant. You can find more of my posts in the Xbox One hate thread.

Why won't they bring back blades? :cry:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

pksage posted:

C3 custom song releases for May 29, 2015:

And here I thought I was the only one requesting Crush 40 on the request site.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Trying to get my new drive all set up...and neither PartyBuff nor UXT500 recognizes the usb. It's a new sandisk and all the video tutorials are out of date.

Can anyone walk me through it? I can toss a few bucks over from Paypal, but all the documentation seems to be from 2013 or not acknowledge my error.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

If you just formatted it with the latest 360 firmware, it should actually be all drag and drop I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
Or you can use RBtoUSB in C3 CON Tools, which is designed specifically for Rock Band 3 customs use.