Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Don't think of it as 43% of joint income, think of it as 86% of a single income. Best not get sick or unlucky with the job market!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

jm20 posted:

Living frugally is now spending 43% of net on housing costs :downs:

No poo poo losing a job causes issues.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

sbaldrick posted:

No poo poo losing a job causes issues.

That number is from a current dual-income budget.

quote:

Last year, just a week after they signed the deal to start building their house, Camus lost his sales job at a construction company. Then, the day before they moved in, their contractor handed them a surprise $27,000 bill for extra costs. The couple were forced to tap into their line of credit to pay for it.

So far, they've managed. Edgerton still runs her own website design company. Camus recently found a new, largely commission-based sales job at a car dealership. "I feel we can handle what we are dealing with right now," he says.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
Saw this photo and thought of this thread, cause it explains the poo poo we're in pretty well

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

keithy george posted:

Did they really give 'reducing retirement savings' as an example of frugality?

One of the more baffling things about retirement is the number of people who view it as a luxury rather than an inevitability of the deterioration of your body and mind as you start getting up there in age.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

MickeyFinn posted:

One of the more baffling things about retirement is the number of people who view it as a luxury rather than an inevitability of the deterioration of your body and mind as you start getting up there in age.

We've had enough generations of security in old age now that people have forgotten what happens to the elderly poor if they have no children to take care of them. Of course, pointing at other nations doesn't wake them up because we're developed so such things are in our past.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I should probably make some kids. I think there's going to be a ton of people who "couldn't afford kids" who also can't afford retirement and will die alone on the streets.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I should probably make some kids. I think there's going to be a ton of people who "couldn't afford kids" who also can't afford retirement and will die alone on the streets.

Ahh, the "Confucian" model of society, where you respectfully walk around a dying elderly stranger, secure in the knowledge that your own parents are doing fine.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I suspect a great many people currently in their twenties and thirties will be unable to afford children, because caring for their utterly irresponsible parents will already be bankrupting them.

Either that or we see a huge spike in seniors mysteriously dying in their sleep.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
this euthanasia thing is coming up again just in the nick of time!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The only realistic retirement plan is social revolution, societal collapse or an early grave.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I don't think societal revolution will be all that effective in an age where wealth isn't held locally

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
We should encourage people to smoke and drink more, so they die quicker and don't need luxuries like pensions.

I'm doing my part for Canada, do yours! :canada:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When you put it that way we really should do away with all sin taxes. Actually, from a totally financial perspective which model does society come out ahead? Collecting sin taxes on cigs to pay for healthcare, or letting idiot smokers die early and save society from their healthcare and retirement costs?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Restore the Gin Ration!

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Baronjutter posted:

When you put it that way we really should do away with all sin taxes. Actually, from a totally financial perspective which model does society come out ahead? Collecting sin taxes on cigs to pay for healthcare, or letting idiot smokers die early and save society from their healthcare and retirement costs?

ive seen some economic studies on this and smokers cost the healthcare system less long term

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

RBC posted:

ive seen some economic studies on this and smokers cost the healthcare system less long term

I'm not convinced by this incredibly vague statement.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

great, i dont give a gently caress

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Given that I've seen studies that claim the opposite, and neither one of us has linked gently caress all, I'm calling this first round a draw.

At near $15/pack for good smokes, I just can't see how it's net drain.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
They're incredibly easy to find.

http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.0050029

quote:

The lifetime costs were in Euros:

Healthy: 281,000

Obese: 250,000

Smokers: 220,000

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

its really not controversial

anti-smoking studies just ignore the comparison by saying smoking costs x amount without saying the lifetime costs of a healthy individual

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

RBC posted:

its really not controversial

anti-smoking studies just ignore the comparison by saying smoking costs x amount without saying the lifetime costs of a healthy individual

Apologies, I misread your post so it turns out we agree and its backed up by data apparently. Huzzah!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Shut the gently caress up idiot

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Yep. My eyes rolled out of my head when I read that. Literally what every loving prideful home owner in Canada thinks.

Somehow the pride justifies paying much higher housing cost than just renting.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

etalian posted:

Somehow the pride justifies paying much higher housing cost than just renting.

It's not even "pride of ownership" at this point, it's "pride of being better than the Joneses"

Seriously, here's a tiny proportion of places that cost literally less than half of what their mortgage does, are not total shitholes, are all 3 bed+ and in the same town. There were literally hundreds of these up on MLS.ca when I did a cursory search.

http://passerelle.centris.ca/Redirect2.aspx?CodeDest=ROYALLEPAGE&NoMls=MT15373265&Source=WWW.REALTOR.CA&Langue=E
http://www.remax-quebec.com/en/house-for-sale-laurentides/236-route-du-canton-brownsburg-chatham-19350123.rmx?source=centris
http://passerelle.centris.ca/Redirect2.aspx?CodeDest=DYNASIMPLE&NoMls=MT17806065&Source=WWW.REALTOR.CA&Langue=E
http://www.remax-quebec.com/en/house-for-sale-laurentides/246-rue-st-antoine-lachute-12548764.rmx?source=centris
http://passerelle.centris.ca/Redirect2.aspx?CodeDest=ROYALLEPAGE&NoMls=MT25937647&Source=WWW.REALTOR.CA&Langue=E
http://passerelle.centris.ca/Redirect2.aspx?CodeDest=ROYALLEPAGE&NoMls=MT22854793&Source=WWW.REALTOR.CA&Langue=E

Sidenote holy poo poo I'm moving to Quebec.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Quebec is in the aftermath of their own little condo building frenzy.

Also having more euro style renter protections probably helps too to keep rent prices along with the whole no jobs thing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://passerelle.centris.ca/Redirect2.aspx?CodeDest=ROYALLEPAGE&NoMls=MT22854793&Source=WWW.REALTOR.CA&Langue=E

This house is loving awesome :black101:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yeah, I saw that one come up and I had to do a double take that it was only 200k because holy poo poo I would buy that so hard if I lived in that area.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Whoa this is like a mini version of Mike Tysons abandoned mansion. 80's as gently caress

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was also thinking Tyson's abandoned mansion with all the 80's ness and potted plants.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The fridge is definitely my favourite part.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Whoa this is like a mini version of Mike Tysons abandoned mansion. 80's as gently caress

it's also right next to a curling club

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Ikantski posted:

I love that rising interest rates are now considered a possible unplanned setback. Doing a little backwards math, they must make about $90k a year combined. That $1.63 debt per $1 earned statistic is scary, these guys are at $4.64. Even if that guy was making twice as much at construction, it'd be a bad decision to get a $400,000 mortgage especially because neither of their jobs are stable or promise salary growth. They'd still be paying 33% of net towards their dream house (25% is usually the top). At least that means that they must have made a large down payment and the bank won't lose money when they foreclose.

Owning bank stocks truly lets us invest in Canada's #1 seemingly unlimited resource, homeowner stupidity. Thank you for your business French people. Go sell cars and design websites so that you may eat hamburger kraft dinner on your spectacular granite countertops and increase my dividend yields. Thank you taxpayers, myself included, for guaranteeing my investment. What else can we invest in to directly leverage into homeowner pride? Granite mines?

Edit: My god, the top comment. Which one of you is this?

Yes. There is no glass/steagall or consumer financial protection act in Canada whereby the loan officer adjudicates and advises a loan if the math provided by the applicant exceeds reasonable financial projections. The retail banker must also ensure he does everything to get you the most possible credit allowed, to fulfill his duty of care. Or you can sue the franchise. This means that so long as the credit applicant clears FICO and gives proof of collateral/cash coverage on their loan app the Canadian bank legally can not discriminate or block an applicant from being offered a loan. Sure the terms can be gently caress you expensive, but if a consumer lacks the required math skills to understand he is being given 5 stiff offers, then that is purely his dumb rear end on the line. Historically all forms of consumer policing have only led to new and more risky forms of shadow lending. A quick trip over to the China thread can explain what happens if leverage and collateral limits are capped by law, and not explained to your local art graduate.

Also, repo/asset recovery is not a function of retail bank credit design and more thanks to Canada's shifting demographics since 2003. Thanks to Canada's large population influx, even at C$65/bbl, an excessive housing inventory that led to the US 2008 crash is pretty tough to generate in Canada. Thanks to both cross border yield pigs (investors starved for currency adjusted bonds; institutional and retail alike) even in the dredge of Alberta the average inventory turnover is still sitting at 50 days. On par with a healthy technology state in the US or suburbia England. So because of that churn, prices have remained pretty tight and default spreads still insure a near 80% recovery on a random loan offered by say, CIBC to a FICO 350 applicant on a 15 year term.

You can hate all you like on home equity, but it's an essential part of the credit formation cycle. Particularly for people who lack the business track record to get a corporate or syndicated deal on their business plan, or their plan does not meet the criteria for trade credit. Hell, Bioware and Shutterstock would have never got off the ground without Canadian "lax lending standards". Some food for thought the next time you want to sperg on Canadian banking.

Tomorrow is the start of banking week, which is why I thought I would stop in. Given National and BMO are tomorrow, and next to CIBC they carry the largest portfolio concentrationthe thread probably would learn alot by reading the call transcripts when they are posted.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Hal_2005 posted:

You can hate all you like on home equity, but it's an essential part of the credit formation cycle. Particularly for people who lack the business track record to get a corporate or syndicated deal on their business plan, or their plan does not meet the criteria for trade credit. Hell, Bioware and Shutterstock would have never got off the ground without Canadian "lax lending standards". Some food for thought the next time you want to sperg on Canadian banking.
Mortgages and tapping home equity play a pretty important role in getting small scale businesses off the ground in the UK as well, but isn't that more indicative of a badly organized banking system than anything else? It's pretty nuts that the best way to get funding for a small business venture or startup is to sign over a bit of your home rather than securing funding on the basis of a sound business plan, especially since it means that the people who are best placed to start things up are those who've lucked out in the housing market rather than the people with the best ideas.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, business loans being basically impossible to get without a security (since they're not as profitable as securitised loan) is a huge growth problem. It should not be seen as the system working.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=11084571

quote:

You can’t afford to live in Vancouver?

Stop your entitled whining. Get a better education and job. Save your money. Lower your expectations. Make sacrifices. Just like the generations did before you.

And, yes, much as it raises hackles to hear it, move. No one owes you a home in the big city, no one is obliged to provide you with a million-dollar property on your beer budget.

Can’t afford to live in Vancouver?

Welcome to reality, where the rest of us live.

Can’t afford to live in Vancouver?

Join the club.

sfralic@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) Vancouver Sun

Tldr, shut the gently caress up you poors!! I worked too hard to build up ~my equity~ by sitting on real estate to have you worthless chattering proles dissolve it!!!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=11084571

Tldr, shut the gently caress up you poors!! I worked too hard to build up ~my equity~ by sitting on real estate to have you worthless chattering proles dissolve it!!!

I love when Boomers say "And how is this situation any different than it was a 30 or 40 years ago for young people looking to own homes in Vancouver?"

Well actually the situation is way different because you weren't paying 1 mil+ for houses 40 years ago and were making the same amount of money as us, but thanks for playing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

:goonsay: Shut up your poors, I build this equity MYSELF. YOU CAN HAVE NONE

quote:

BIOGRAPHY

Shelley Fralic joined The Vancouver Sun as a reporter in 1979, just before graduating from the Langara College journalism program, and following a summer internship at the Quesnel Cariboo-Observer.

At The Sun, she has covered sports, business, religion, general news and features. In the mid-'80s, she held a number of assistant editor positions and, in 1990, was appointed deputy managing editor of the paper, a position she held until 1999, when she was named Executive Editor.

Several years ago, she returned to writing and today produces columns on a variety of subjects, including social issues, pop culture, and modern-day life.

Fralic has been a sessional instructor in the Masters program at the UBC School of Journalism, and has conducted numerous journalism lectures and workshops throughout her newspaper career.

She is currently chair of the Vancouver Sun Children's Fund, and is an industry director on the B.C. Press Council.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Career journalist who writes at the level of a high school newsletter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Career journalist who writes at the level of a high school newsletter.

It's the Vancouver Sun, after all. If you open one expecting the New Yorker, you're going to be sad.