Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Teddybear posted:

I've been poking at this for a while, and I'm just not figuring it out. Does anyone know how I can stream video from my PC to iOS? I thought VLC could do it, but it hasn't seemed to work.

Can't you just share the folder as a upnp volume on your LAN?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Or if the video is in your iTunes library (hehe, yeah right) you can just use iTunes Sharing.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Any recommendations for a flight tracker? I don't care about being able to book flights or hotels, look at airport maps, etc., I just want to be able to save a list of flights and get notifications when they're boarding, when they've departed, if they're delayed, etc., mostly so I can plan when to be at the airport to pick people up.

I have TripIt through work but it assumes you're the person actually traveling so it's weak on trip-in-progress notifications. Basically I want Mobiata's FlightTrack from before it got Expedia-fied.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Any recommendations for a flight tracker? I don't care about being able to book flights or hotels, look at airport maps, etc., I just want to be able to save a list of flights and get notifications when they're boarding, when they've departed, if they're delayed, etc., mostly so I can plan when to be at the airport to pick people up.

I have TripIt through work but it assumes you're the person actually traveling so it's weak on trip-in-progress notifications. Basically I want Mobiata's FlightTrack from before it got Expedia-fied.

Give the google app (Google now) a try, maybe. You can make a list of flight numbers to track. I have no idea how notifications work but maybe it'll do the job.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The best flight tracker I have ever used is opening up safari and typing (or saying) "American Airlines 603" or whatever the company and number is...

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Kayak is pretty good for single flight tracking.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

tuyop posted:

Can't you just share the folder as a upnp volume on your LAN?
You can also run a dlna server on your computer, and there's a free one out there that's really really easy to set up

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

duckfarts posted:

You can also run a dlna server on your computer, and there's a free one out there that's really really easy to set up

PS3 Media Server

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Flight Aware will do everything you are asking for and more. It even has a specific button on the notification setting screen for "meeting this flight."

Just Landed is also good as it uses your current location and traffic info to calculate when you need to leave for the airport in order meet someone on time. You can't save a list of flights though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

duckfarts posted:

So, it's Universal Media Server that i'm using, works great and stays out of the way, should work with any app that will stream from a dlna server(there's tons)

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I don't get the sense that there is a huge difference between AirDisplay 3 and DuetDisplay but if someone has used both, which would you recommend? I've only used AirDisplay 1 and it doesn't reliably work anymore.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Is there a better Calendar than iCal for iphone and OSX?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

PaganGoatPants posted:

Fantastical and Sunrise if you wanna get fancy

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there a way to use iOS settings (or built into Sonos?) to passcode lock a Sonos controller app on my kid's iPad? (He randomly fucks with it but it's nice to have his nanny be able to put music on....

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

noirstronaut posted:

Fantastical and Sunrise if you wanna get fancy

Going to second Fantastical, absolutely love it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I was in the fantastical camp but recently jumped to the sunrise beta, when it came up when your question was asked like a page ago.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

PaganGoatPants posted:

You're going to need to expand on your requirements to get a good answer.

I use Calystwo CCal because as far as I can tell it's the only calendar that has:
-sync with google calendar directly and handle multiple shared calendars
-customise the start day of the week
-colour-code weekends
-colour-code Today
-print the title of events in Month view
-multi-day events render across days nicely

If it would only cross off days in the past it would be perfect.
Since pretty much no other calendar has a usable Month view I must be in the incredible minority but I mention it in case anyone else has been dying for it.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Is Flipboard still the gold standard for news aggregators? I'm getting a little annoyed at its propensity for giving me garbage blogs some dude flipped, but have no idea if there's anything comparable. I'm less interested in finding three hundred new blogs and more on something to self-contain a wide variety of things.

I'm sort of worried what I want is basically Flipboard and nothing else.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 27, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I just got an iPhone, I used to use Android with an Imgur app that let me upload, and I'm confused with how to conveniently upload my camera photos to some place where I can make a URL and share it with people. Photo Sharing seems to be designed around sharing family albums with people you know. How do I upload it somewhere where I could post it in IRC or the forums or something?

I guess I could use Google Drive, but I kind of like something quasi-anonymous and disposable.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Craptacular! posted:

I just got an iPhone, I used to use Android with an Imgur app that let me upload, and I'm confused with how to conveniently upload my camera photos to some place where I can make a URL and share it with people. Photo Sharing seems to be designed around sharing family albums with people you know. How do I upload it somewhere where I could post it in IRC or the forums or something?

I guess I could use Google Drive, but I kind of like something quasi-anonymous and disposable.

Imgur has an app that lets you upload from your photo reel.

Here!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mo0 posted:

Imgur has an app that lets you upload from your photo reel.

It didn't seem to let me do that, either from the app itself or as an extension/share option from Photos. A blog post on imgur promoting the app said that uploading is "coming soon."

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Gah,

Craptacular! posted:

It didn't seem to let me do that, either from the app itself or as an extension/share option from Photos. A blog post on imgur promoting the app said that uploading is "coming soon."

gah, duh. I'm an idiot. Browsing to imgur.com lets you do it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Use this one, Imgupr

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

~Coxy posted:

I use Calystwo CCal because as far as I can tell it's the only calendar that has:
-colour-code weekends
-colour-code Today

Since pretty much no other calendar has a usable Month view I must be in the incredible minority but I mention it in case anyone else has been dying for it.

I've been looking for a good calendar with month view and downloaded this hoping it would replace mical. Does it support exchange calendars though? Cant seem to find a way to sync mine

Edit: nevermind it just pulled my calendars synced from the stock app. Thanks for the recommendation

Shapur fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 27, 2015

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Pocket informant has been my goto Calendar for years. I've tried almost all of them but I always go back.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mo0 posted:

Is Flipboard still the gold standard for news aggregators? I'm getting a little annoyed at its propensity for giving me garbage blogs some dude flipped, but have no idea if there's anything comparable. I'm less interested in finding three hundred new blogs and more on something to self-contain a wide variety of things.

I'm sort of worried what I want is basically Flipboard and nothing else.

I use feedly and never got much use out of flipboard because it just strapped a pretty UI onto an RSS feed that just made the whole thing more cumbersome. I want twitter+, not some dumb postmodern magazine.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

tuyop posted:

I use feedly and never got much use out of flipboard because it just strapped a pretty UI onto an RSS feed that just made the whole thing more cumbersome. I want twitter+, not some dumb postmodern magazine.

See, I don't care about Twitter or Facebook, I want an app that condenses a bunch of news sites into one app without being a shell on top of a web browser. Feedly seems to just tell me to go to the website nine times out of 10.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I love Flipboard as a newsreader. Reeder 2 is also good if you're into RSS, much better than the fiddly Feedly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I've been using Feedly for a while now and it's really bad. Buggy as hell and as someone said, most of the time it asks you to open a webpage.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Mo0 posted:

Gah,

gah, duh. I'm an idiot. Browsing to imgur.com lets you do it.

Just use safari and save the page as a web link on your home screen. Their web interface works really well, but their actual app is dogshit.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mo0 posted:

See, I don't care about Twitter or Facebook, I want an app that condenses a bunch of news sites into one app without being a shell on top of a web browser. Feedly seems to just tell me to go to the website nine times out of 10.

I use feedly to manage my feeds and Newsify to read them.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?
I use Circa for news, and Breaking to monitor RSS feeds from the notification center.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Feenix posted:

Is there a way to use iOS settings (or built into Sonos?) to passcode lock a Sonos controller app on my kid's iPad? (He randomly fucks with it but it's nice to have his nanny be able to put music on....

I was thinking parental controls but they apparently don't allow you to do that for specific apps, and age restrictions are useless because the controller app is rated 4+. The nanny could always install the app on her smartphone if she has one, she just needs access to the wireless network to control Sonos.

Barring that, she can push the mute button on the Sonos players to stop/continue playback (press twice to skip). So you setup a playlist and she can stop/start that.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Mr. Reader has never failed me or asked me to pay money for it multiple times.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

~Coxy posted:

-colour-code weekends
-colour-code Today

I also need my calendar to have a proper month view. That's why I'm using week calendar.
On Android I used acalendar+ but it's not available on iOS :(

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
How does Health get my calories? I got a new iphone 6 a few days ago, and I use myfitnesspal fur 3 years.
active and resting both say 0 do they ever go up?

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Calendars by Reedle (free, but there is also a paid version) also has a usable month view.

CCal is good too, especially if you like to :spergin: over extremely detailed settings.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah I've been using Feedly for a while now and it's really bad. Buggy as hell and as someone said, most of the time it asks you to open a webpage.

I'm not Professor RSS or anything, but isn't the "view webpage" thing set by the source? I know some give you the whole article while some just give you a snippet so they can show you the same goddamn grid of Taboola ads that are on every website these days by having you click through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

How does Health get my calories? I got a new iphone 6 a few days ago, and I use myfitnesspal fur 3 years.
active and resting both say 0 do they ever go up?

Apple has made a deal with your doctor and the government to figure out how your metabolism works.