Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wait...attacking people for running away, firing warning shots and pistol whipping are only NOW against the rules? Is this some kind of sick joke?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Good Lord I'm so afraid of cops.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Agrajag posted:

The fact that they approached an accident scene with guns drawn is retarded.

He could have been hiding had a gun or a bomb or the goddamn Batman in that car. People just in vehicular accidents are prone to sudden spams extreme kung-fu. He was probably building up one hell of a super-hadoken in there.

These cops are very brave heroes.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait...attacking people for running away, firing warning shots and pistol whipping are only NOW against the rules? Is this some kind of sick joke?

"There are police agencies without a coherent use of force continuum and escalation/de-escalation policy?", I asked myself before realizing I knew the answer.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I found the CPD's current training video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXvqYYJSv3I

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

It's 2015 and we need the federal government to tell major municipal police departments not to pistol-whip people and pop off warning shots.

At this point we should just make digging up and prosecuting police abuse into a massive public works project and kill two birds with one stone.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

"There are police agencies without a coherent use of force continuum and escalation/de-escalation policy?", I asked myself before realizing I knew the answer.
Over the years I have seen so many cops post on the internet about the importance of force escalation rules so I am wondering, are they all from police departments where that is actually practiced, or are those just their own personal convictions that their coworkers don't necessarily have?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Samurai Sanders posted:

Over the years I have seen so many cops post on the internet about the importance of force escalation rules so I am wondering, are they all from police departments where that is actually practiced, or are those just their own personal convictions that their coworkers don't necessarily have?

Many police departments serve predominantly white areas.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

So get rid of municipal cops and make all citizens "that want to be" auxiliary deputy sheriffs. Once everyone is a cop, it will be cops policing cops. Jails will empty and, the reported crime rate will drop.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

With respect to this issue, forces that have escalation rules and other similar practices foisted upon them by the DoJ are basically dodging civil rights lawsuits. What emerges are "consent decrees" like the one apparently being instated in Cleveland. According to The Crime Report,

quote:

Currently about 20 cities have entered into consent decrees or “memos of understanding” with the Department of Justice (DOJ), usually under threat of civil rights lawsuits filed by the DOJ if they refused.

The departments and police agencies vary widely: they have included Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Cincinnati, Oakland, New Orleans, Portland, Oregon, Cleveland, New York City, Detroit, the New Jersey State Police, the Virgin Islands PD, and, most recently, departments in Seattle, Albuquerque, NM and Newark, NJ.

That being said, I am interested to know how many departments/agencies have established and effectively enforced their own escalation rules and other similar codes of conduct without the looming threat of a DoJ smackdown.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was. It was this one:

and it was an integral part of our use of force instruction program. I can't picture a coherent course that doesn't rely on a similar model to explain, generally: what one ought to do in any given situation; that your presence changes the situation; that verbal communication is something you should always be doing; and that both escalation and de-escalation are reasonable responses that should be strongly considered when the situation changes. What kind of force is "reasonably necessary" is a very fluid idea that can change very quickly depending on both the member's own actions as well as those of the subject. On top of all those pretty colours was the idea that you must always be able to justify the force you used with the knowledge you had at the time. If, for example, you started firing a weapon in the absence of the threat of death or GBH to someone, you are right and proper hosed.

Models like this help UOF instructors and patrolmen explain to judges and inquests why they chose the force options they did. They give the member a way to better articulate what they did and why in an attempt to justify it; or if the act was clearly unjustifaible, they give the oversight agency something to beat you over the head with.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Alligator Horse posted:

That being said, I am interested to know how many departments/agencies have established and effectively enforced their own escalation rules and other similar codes of conduct without the looming threat of a DoJ smackdown.
Yeah, that's what I want to know more than anything else. Does the threat of this smackdown have a preventative effect, or will it only ever mean anything after disasters have already happened?

Huh...sounds almost like I'm talking about law enforcement itself.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Cleveland police to stop hitting people on heads with guns as part of Justice Department agreement

That article title!

Its so funny but sad at the same time.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Or how about this:

quote:

Workers who fix elevators in the city’s housing projects have been ordered to wear bright-orange vests by supervisors calling NYPD cops “trigger-happy,’’ sources told The Post.
The edict came down from city Housing Authority brass after an officer fatally shot an unarmed man in the stairwell of a Brooklyn complex and other cops accidentally pulled a gun on a maintenance crew, sources said.
“[The elevator workers] were basically told the reason was because of recent incidents where cops had pulled a gun on a caretaker and a supervisor on the roof of a housing project,” a source said.
“No one got shot, but they also referred to the cop shooting and were told, ‘We’re doing this for your protection. Your lives are in jeopardy, and we don’t want you to get hurt,’ ” the source said

(http://nypost.com/2015/05/25/city-housing-puts-workers-in-bright-vests-in-fear-of-nypd-shootings/)

City workers having to wear reflective vests so that the cops don't mistake them for a housing resident and shoot them....

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zelder posted:

Good Lord I'm so afraid of cops.

I'm a middle-class white man, and even I'm afraid of American cops in 2015. That oughta tell you something.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

In a darkened elevator shaft a man looks a lot like a deer, to a complete idiot anyway.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

nm posted:

The pre-existing condition was having too much skin pigment. It is known to be fatal when you come into contact with assholes.

If it was any other country, we'd be jumping up and down calling it "genocide."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

I guess every infographic has to choose some method of colorizing but man it made me laugh at the colors they chose for officer perception of"cooperative" and "grievous harm or death".

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

reignofevil posted:

I guess every infographic has to choose some method of colorizing but man it made me laugh at the colors they chose for officer perception of"cooperative" and "grievous harm or death".

Somehow this makes me better understand why officers have such a hard time telling the difference between cooperation and causing grievous bodily harm...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bel Shazar posted:

Somehow this makes me better understand why officers have such a hard time telling the difference between cooperation and causing grievous bodily harm...
Somehow I remember an old Penny Arcade comic about troubles with a game where the typical button to talk to someone instead fires your weapon. Maybe some cops' brains are wired that way?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bel Shazar posted:

white = cooperative
black = grievous bodily harm or death

I think I understand the problem now...

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/26/america-cannot-lock-its-poor-in-debtors-prisons-to-fund-its-police-departments
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/its-sinister-were-locking-poor-people-debtors-prisons-fund-police-depts

quote:

America cannot lock its poor in debtor's prisons to fund its police departments

Unable to pay an outstanding debt of $409 in court fines, Mr Staten was arrested and sentenced to 16 days in Mississippi’s Harrison County Jail. Shortly after being booked at the jail, Mr Staten fell seriously ill. Despite his obvious symptoms and his cellmates’ cries for help, the jail’s privately-contracted medical staff allowed his condition to worsen until – on the fifth day of his sentence – he collapsed in his cell and, upon being transported to a medical center, could not be revived. He had suffered acute peritonitis, a life-threatening infection of the abdominal lining for which early treatment is essential.

Whenever the government locks someone in jail, it has a constitutional duty to provide adequate medical care, a responsibility that can’t be evaded simply by contracting it out to a for-profit company. Unfortunately, Mr Staten’s is a familiar story: the ACLU is currently litigating a case in a Mississippi prison that challenges, in part, the dangerously inadequate health care provided by Health Assurance, a private corporation also responsible for Mr Staten’s medical treatment — or lack thereof.

Mr Staten’s experience is far from unusual. Every day, indigent Americans are ripped from their homes and their communities and forced into jails of varying degrees of dysfunction and decay. The US supreme court ruled three decades ago that it is unconstitutional to imprison people because they cannot afford to pay debts. The ruling, however, hasn’t ended the practice of jailing people for unpaid government fees and fines.

In 2010, the ACLU found that courts across the nation regularly deny Americans proper consideration of their financial position and throw them into jail over fines they could never hope to pay. As a result, local jails nationwide have transformed into modern-day “debtors’ prisons” overcrowded with indigent people whose only punishable offense is being poor. The effects are devastating.

Local courts and municipalities – reliant on fines and fees as a source of revenue – are adopting increasingly aggressive collection practices. This was the case in DeKalb County, where county policymakers enlisted a for-profit company for the specific purpose of targeting those too poor to pay fines on sentencing day.

Too many Americans are locked away over small debts. At best, they will leave with few resources and diminished job prospects, trapped in a cycle of poverty and inequality. At worst, they will suffer and die due to the callous neglect of their jailers, like Mr Staten. Poverty should never be criminalized. Local courts and municipalities must find other sources of revenue that don’t make victims of their most vulnerable citizens.

Hey man can I bum a nickel? How about 5 years of free labor out of your lifespan?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
lol, america has debtors prisons. what a shithole.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I question the validity of the claim made in the title of the article, because many municipalities and indeed some states are doing just that, and have been for many years quite successfully.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

I question the validity of the claim made in the title of the article, because many municipalities and indeed some states are doing just that, and have been for many years quite successfully.
Its a British article. "Cannot" is more like "WTF, should not be..." doing that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Imposing a fine on someone when you know drat well he can't pay it, fully intending to have the poor bastard wind up in a for-profit prison that just happens to have a contract with the state doing the sentencing is cruel and inhuman and capricious and terrible. Hoofing down someone's door and dragging them off to jail for a loving parking ticket is... I don't even know what to call that.

Driving without insurance is a great way to permanently screw over an innocent person and leave them without the means to feed themselves. That's why Ontario sets the minimum fine for doing that at $5000 (which works out to about $7500 after the victims services surcharge and court costs), plus a license suspension and short impound period. That's a minimum, off-the-top, gently caress-you fine for an absolute liability offense that is ridiculously easy to prove. I've seen dozens of people charged with it, I've laid that charge myself more than once, and I've seen exactly zero people actually be assessed that fine because they were all too broke to even have insurance and fining someone who is already indigent for half of their gross annual income isn't going to advance the cause of justice any. Instead, what most sane JPs do is impose a conditional or suspended sentence, or reduce the minimum fine with an exceptional circumstances exemption, which could include a short sentence of incarceration in lieu of other penalties. If you're not working anyway, seven to ten weekends in jail (half of which you might not even serve if they're full when you get there) is a drat sight easier to pay than $7K but it still sucks enough to make you not want to do it again.

Do traffic court judges in the states not ask their recently-minted convicts if they have time or the means to pay?

edit: Speaking of expensive insurance,

[quote="
CBC Ottawa @CBCOttawa · 1h 1 hour ago
"]1 male driver, 21, fined $1,343 and hit for 18 demerit points after travelling 165 km/h on 80 km/h Eardley Rd.[/quote]

My one regret is never having written a stunt driving ticket because the chance to do that is literally better than Christmas for an eight year old. A license only has fifteen points on it, which means if convicted he'll be suspended in a way that only the Minister can fix. Also because he was stunt driving, his car's impounded for a week, he's suspended again for seven days (and up to two years if convicted), and he's looking at a minimum $2000 fine over and above the $1,343 in fines for whatever else he got lit up for.

And even after all of that's over, he's a 21 year old male with charges for stunt driving and excessive speeding on his abstract, which means his insurance is going to be astronomical. And unlike judges, they do not give a tinker's drat whether he can afford it or not.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 27, 2015

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

flakeloaf posted:

Do traffic court judges in the states not ask their recently-minted convicts if they have time or the means to pay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjpmT5noto
(Here's the embed, as, gently caress off youtube, let me copy the drat url)

This should answer your question.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

flakeloaf posted:

Only if they're already very wealthy

quote:

But the district attorney told the Vail Daily that the decision to drop the felony charges against Hurlbert was also based on the possible effects on his income-earning ability and, therefore, his ability to pay restitution.

"Felony convictions have some pretty serious job implications for someone in Mr. Erzinger's profession, and that entered into it," Hurlbert told the paper. "When you're talking about restitution, you don't want to take away his ability to pay."

Erzinger allegedly hit Milo from behind on the road in Eagle County, Colorado, with a 2010 Mercedes Benz sedan and fled the scene. Another driver stopped to help Milo and called 911.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The justice system is such a joke.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

That's actually a very clever move by an astute judge: The guy hurt somebody, that somebody's going to need millions of dollars in health care and support, and that's the sort of thing that should have immediate, relevant consequences that will follow him forever. A felony charge against wealthy white man with a team of well-heeled lawyers isn't going to amount to dickall because the justice system for his class of people is a joke and the judge knows it, but two slam-dunk traffic offenses will put a permanent mark on the guy and establish the guilt needed to bootstrap the poor victim's civil suit. In one move the judge ensured that he'd face some kind of punishment and handed the victim an unbeatable hand that would literally guarantee an out of court settlement that will take care of him. If ever I have the good fortune to become a JP, I should hope to have that gift of insight.

e: It would of course be better if the guy did ten years for criminal negligence and fleeing the scene, but if a gaggle of white bankers can defraud an entire planet with a lending scheme and not even hear the click of handcuffs you can be pretty sure that running over some schmuck on a bicycle isn't going to amount to anything.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 27, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The problem isn't really that the rich don't have their lives destroyed, it's that the poor do. On an emotional level it might be satisfying to see the privileged broken down, but overwhelming reformers don't want the rich to suffer more - we want the rest of the world to enjoy the same consideration and respect from the justice system as well.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

Our justice system doesn't give a poo poo if you can pay or not. That's part of why it's so bonkers and why the comparison to debtor's prison is there. This is also the nation that has a raging hardon for levying any fee they possibly can on people that are broke while deliberately trapping them in systems they can never escape. It's on the same level of payday loans; the poor absolutely and positively cannot get unpoor. The system is set up that way. Every year the price of literally everything goes up but the poor are told they just have to make do somehow. "Making do" generally involves things that are living on borrowed time. Can't afford car insurance? Well you still need to get to work somehow and lol you expected us to have mass transit that's a good one. Can't afford to get your car inspected and reregistered? Well hope that a cop doesn't see you that's hundreds to thousands in fines you won't ever be able to pay. If you don't pay them you don't get to drive anymore. Oh you need to drive to get to your job? Tough poo poo poor, you should have thought of that when you chose to be poor.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

flakeloaf posted:

That's actually a very clever move by an astute judge: The guy hurt somebody, that somebody's going to need millions of dollars in health care and support, and that's the sort of thing that should have immediate, relevant consequences that will follow him forever. A felony charge against wealthy white man with a team of well-heeled lawyers isn't going to amount to dickall because the justice system for his class of people is a joke and the judge knows it, but two slam-dunk traffic offenses will put a permanent mark on the guy and establish the guilt needed to bootstrap the poor victim's civil suit. In one move the judge ensured that he'd face some kind of punishment and handed the victim an unbeatable hand that would literally guarantee an out of court settlement that will take care of him. If ever I have the good fortune to become a JP, I should hope to have that gift of insight.

e: It would of course be better if the guy did ten years for criminal negligence and fleeing the scene, but if a gaggle of white bankers can defraud an entire planet with a lending scheme and not even hear the click of handcuffs you can be pretty sure that running over some schmuck on a bicycle isn't going to amount to anything.

Also, if it is like CA, they get a restitution order as part of the sentence which is non-discharchable by bankruptcy.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

http://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/7/71/587596/judge-wont-seal-photo-cpd-cops-posing-african-american-man-antlers

Chicago police pose with black man wearing antlers as if he was a hunting trophy.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Buried deep in that article are some real gems:

quote:

In his closing arguments at the police board hearing, Herbert emphasized the lack of information about where and when the photo was taken — and the mystery surrounding the African-American man’s identity.

“What’s to say this individual wasn’t performing at a Christmas pageant in the district and was dressed as a reindeer and had taken the reindeer suit off? Again, I don’t mean to make preposterous arguments, but the charges in this case, they warrant that,” he said.

Herbert also compared the photo to an episode of “Seinfeld” in which Jerry is wrongly accused of picking his nose.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Its those drat cameras "making" cops look bad again!

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/body-cam-video-catches-barstow-cops-slamming-black-pregnant-woman-to-ground-letting-white-woman-go-free/

quote:

Body cam video catches Barstow cops slamming black pregnant woman to ground, letting white woman go free

Officials with the city of Barstow, California insisted this week that officers had acted properly when they used force to arrest a pregnant woman who refused to show them her identification, even though the charges were later dismissed.

In police body camera video obtained by the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of Southern California (ACLU SoCal), an officer is responding to an apparent traffic dispute between Charlena Michelle Cooks, who is 8 months pregnant and black, and an unidentified white woman.

The officer first talks to the white woman, who accuses Cooks of acting “all crazy.”

“I don’t see a crime that has been committed,” the officer admits after examining the woman’s car. After promising the woman a police report, the officer heads over to talk to Cooks.

Cooks explains that the argument occurred because the woman disagreed with the way she was driving in the parking lot. Cooks also said that the woman frightened her daughter, who was in second grade.

“She called the police for whatever reason, I don’t know,” Cooks says. “Should I feel threatened by her because she’s white? Because she’s white and she’s making threats to me?”

At that point the officer asks for Cooks’ name, but she insists that she does not have to tell him.

“I actually do have the right to ask you for your name,” the officer replies.

“Let me make sure,” Cooks says as she makes a phone call to someone.

The officer says he will give Cooks two minutes to verify his right to ask for her identification. But less than 20 seconds later, the officer and a colleague are performing a painful wristlock takedown on Cooks. The pregnant woman screams as she is forced belly first into the ground.

“Why are you resisting?” the officer demands.

“Please! I’m pregnant!” Cooks exclaims. “Please, stop this!”

ACLU SoCal staff attorney Adrienna Wong pointed out that Cooks had a right to refuse to show her ID.

“It would be a wrongful arrest, but it would be an arrest,” she noted. “Even if an officer is conducting an investigation, in California, unlike some other states, he can’t just require a person to provide ID for no reason.”

“Officers in California should not be using the obstruction law, Penal Code 148, to arrest someone for failing to provide ID, when they can’t find any other reason to arrest them,” Wong added.

ACLU SoCal staff attorney Jessica Price observed that Cooks, who is black, was handled very differently than the white woman.

“Imagine getting wrestled to the ground and handcuffed in front of your child’s elementary school,” Price remarked. “Imagine interacting with other parents afterwards. Imagine what kids who saw the incident tell your child. And if you think the whole incident happened because of your race, how does that impact your view of police?”

To make matters worse, Cooks was banned from her daughter’s school until the charges were dismissed. She said that she has not decided whether or not she wants to sue the city. But ultimately, her goal is to move out of Barstow as soon as possible.

“I’m still trying to process everything and get in a good state of mind,” she told the Desert Dispatch. “I’m in a very fearful state of mind. Barstow is so small and I used to be comfortable living here. Not anymore. I really felt like after all that happened I had some of my everyday freedoms taken from me.”

“I don’t think I’ve ever been that terrified in my life,” Cooks continued. “I never saw that coming. I told him I was pregnant so he could proceed with caution. That didn’t happen and the first thing I thought was I didn’t want to fall to the ground. I felt the pressure on my stomach from falling and I was calling for help. But those guys are supposed to help me. But who is supposed to help me when they are attacking me?”

Sometimes after a hard day of hero work you just need to let off some steam, you know?

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cops-beat-wives-girlfriends-double-national-rate-receive-promotions/

quote:

Cops Beat Their Wives & Girlfriends At Double The National Rate, Still Receive Promotions

Statistics show that 1 in 4 women in the US is a victim of domestic violence, those numbers jump to 1 in 2 if they are married to a cop.

Law Enforcement officers beat their significant other at nearly double the national average. Several studies, according to Diane Wetendorf, author of Police Domestic Violence: Handbook for Victims, indicate that women suffer domestic abuse in at least 40 percent of police officer families. For American women overall, the figure is 25 percent, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

According to The Advocates for Human Rights Organization, studies indicate that police families are 2-4 times more likely than the general population to experience domestic violence, making the potential for disparities in protective success particularly troubling.

The trouble with spousal abuse lies in the very nature of police work. The authority and control in the wrong hands, will be misused, according to domestic violence counselors.

What makes police domestic violence more difficult to deal with is the fact that women feel scared to report it. Even advocates for battered women are reluctant to dive into domestic violence cases involving police for fear of alienating the agencies they rely upon for help in other abuse cases, according to a report by SFGate.

So battered cop-spouses, like raped prostitutes, have to "just deal with it" because the heroes are right and if you say otherwise "who knows what might happen".

quote:

An example of this tendency to cover up domestic police abuse can be seen in the case of Jeremy Yachik. This monster beat and tortured his daughter for years. His girlfriend even filmed the abuse with her cellphone and brought the footage to the police department that Yachik worked for.
After showing the video to Glen Johnson, the Police Chief, they failed to respond and she was forced to find another venue to expose this abuse.

Also a study conducted by the Domestic Violence Task Force called Domestic Violence in the Los Angeles Police Department: How Well Does the Los Angeles Police Department Police Its Own? revealed that performance evaluations of cops with history of domestic violence are largely unaffected.The study of the Los Angeles Police Department further examined the 91 cases in which an allegation of domestic violence was sustained against an officer.

Over three-fourths of the time, this sustained allegation was not mentioned in the officer’s performance evaluation.
Twenty-six of these officers (29%) were promoted, including six who were promoted within two years of the incident.

The report concluded that “employees with sustained allegations were neither barred from moving to desired positions nor transferred out of assignments that were inconsistent with the sustained allegation”

Wetendorf points out the most common fears when reporting police domestic abuse in her handbook:

If your abuser is an officer of the law, you may be afraid to:

Call the police — He is the police.
Go to a shelter — He knows where the shelters are located.
Have him arrested — Responding officers may invoke the code of silence.
Take him to court — It’s your word against that of an officer, and he knows the system.
Drop the charges — You could lose any future credibility and protection.
Seek a conviction — He will probably lose his job and retaliate against you.

These fears can make someone feel incredibly trapped and feel like there is no way out.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

"Even though police Supt. Garry McCarthy moved to fire McDermott, attorneys for the police department and McDermott both asked Judge Thomas Allen to keep the photo under seal earlier this year.

They said they wanted to protect the privacy of the unidentified African-American man. Allen denied their request in March. The Sun-Times recently obtained a copy of the photo in the court file."

loving lmao

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Nebraska just got rid of the death penalty.

quote:

LINCOLN, Neb. — Nebraska on Wednesday became the first conservative state in more than 40 years to abolish the death penalty, with lawmakers defying their Republican governor, Pete Ricketts, a staunch supporter of capital punishment who had lobbied vigorously against banning it.

After more than two hours of emotional speeches at the Capitol here, the Legislature, by a 30-to-19 vote that cut across party lines, overrode the governor’s veto of a bill repealing the state’s death penalty law. After the repeal measure passed, by just enough votes to overcome the veto, dozens of spectators in the balcony burst into celebration.

The vote capped a monthslong battle that pitted most lawmakers in the unicameral Legislature against the governor, many law enforcement officials and some family members of murder victims whose killers are on death row. The Legislature approved the repeal bill three times this year, each time by a veto-proof majority, before sending it to Mr. Ricketts’s desk. Adding to the drama, two senators who had previously voted for repeal switched to support the governor at the last minute.

Opponents of the death penalty here were able to build a coalition that spanned the ideological spectrum by winning the support of Republican legislators who said they believed capital punishment was inefficient, expensive and out of place with their party’s values, as well as that of lawmakers who cited religious or moral reasons for supporting the repeal. Nebraska joins 18 other states and Washington, D.C., in banning the death penalty.

Though it is not clear that other Republican-dominated states will follow Nebraska’s example, Wednesday’s vote came at a time when liberals and conservatives have been finding common ground on a range of criminal justice issues in Washington and around the country.

In other states, Democrats and Republicans driven by different motivations have formed alliances to limit the revenue that towns can collect from traffic fines; to crack down on civil asset forfeiture, a practice that disproportionately affects the poor; and to ease mandatory prison sentences.

On the presidential trail, Hillary Rodham Clinton and Senators Ted Cruz and Rand Paul have all called for easing mandatory minimum sentences, while other Republican candidates have embraced proposals to revamp bail and expand drug treatment that have also been championed by Democrats. Though it formally considers itself nonpartisan, the Nebraska Legislature is dominated by Republicans.

Mr. Ricketts, who fought against the repeal bill by appearing repeatedly in television interviews and urging Nebraskans to pressure their senators to oppose it, immediately denounced the vote.

“My words cannot express how appalled I am that we have lost a critical tool to protect law enforcement and Nebraska families,” he said in a statement. “While the Legislature has lost touch with the citizens of Nebraska, I will continue to stand with Nebraskans and law enforcement on this important issue.”

In a debate that was by turns somber, fiery and soul-searching, with sprinklings of quotes from Ruth Bader Ginsburg, John Paul Stevens and the Book of Genesis, senators stood to make last-minute pitches to try to persuade the undecided. Some said that capital punishment should be retained as a tool to punish the most heinous crimes. Others said that the death penalty, which has not been used in Nebraska since 1997, was irretrievably broken.

“Today we are doing something that transcends me, that transcends this Legislature, that transcends this state,” said Senator Ernie Chambers, an independent from Omaha who sponsored the bill and has fought against the death penalty for decades. “We are talking about human dignity.”

A few senators argued that Nebraskans were still broadly in favor of capital punishment, even if many Republicans in the Legislature had turned away from it. Others said that they were deeply conflicted about their vote to retain the death penalty. “Today I will sustain the governor’s veto because I campaigned on it,” said Senator Tyson Larson, two hours into the debate. “This might be the last time I give the state the right to take a life, because I don’t think that they necessarily should.”

The bill replaces capital punishment with life imprisonment.

The vote on Wednesday came just a day after Mr. Ricketts signed a veto of the death penalty repeal bill in front of reporters assembled at the Capitol and talked about a gruesome bank robbery in the city of Norfolk in 2002 in which five people were shot to death as a compelling reason that Nebraska should hold on to capital punishment. Two family members of a woman who was shot during the robbery stood at the governor’s side.

Some Nebraskans said in interviews this week that they agreed with the governor.

“I’m sure small-town, rural Nebraska communities are furious about the repeal,” said Chris Spargen, a project specialist in his mid-20s, as he rode his bike down a main thoroughfare in Ashland, 30 miles outside Omaha. “I guess I’m technically falling under that as well.”

In downtown Ceresco, Neb., about 18 miles north of Lincoln, Wayne Ambrosias, owner of the Sweet Pea Market, said he did not want his tax dollars used to pay for murderers to stay in prison for their entire lives. And he echoed the governor’s statement that the lawmakers who supported the death penalty repeal bill were out of touch with a widely conservative public.

“I don’t think the politicians are in line with the everyday people,” Mr. Ambrosias said on Wednesday, just before the vote. “I think it’s more of a political move. I don’t think the people are telling them that’s what they want.”

But others said they saw the issue differently, rejecting the argument that the death penalty was necessary to deter crime.

“A lot of times, murder is a crime of passion,” said Don Johnson, a retired commercial fisherman from Alaska now living in Ceresco. “I don’t think they think about the death penalty when they kill somebody or somebody gets killed. I don’t think it’s a preventative measure at all.”

Mr. Johnson, who considers himself an evangelical Protestant, said he saw the issue less as a religious belief than a strictly personal one. Other members of his church are in favor of the death penalty, he said, though he admitted he could not quite reconcile the punishment with Christianity.

“If you really follow Jesus’s teachings,” he said, “thou shall not kill, you know.”

Catholic bishops in Nebraska issued a statement on Tuesday criticizing Mr. Ricketts’s veto. “We remain convinced that the death penalty does not deter crime, nor does it make Nebraska safer or promote the common good in our state,” they said.

Since 2007, six states have abolished the death penalty: Maryland, Connecticut, Illinois, New Mexico and New Jersey. According to the Death Penalty Information Center, a research group opposed to the death penalty, no conservative state has banned capital punishment since North Dakota in 1973. The center defines a conservative state as having voted Republican in the two most recent presidential elections.

Across the country, efforts to execute criminals on death row have stalled in the face of growing backlash against the death penalty and logistical difficulties with lethal injections. Many states have had difficulty obtaining lethal injection drugs, as European manufacturers, citing moral and ethical objections, have refused to sell them to prisons in the United States. Texas, which executes more inmates than any other state, has only enough drugs to carry out one more lethal injection.

Searching for alternatives in the face of drug shortages, some states have taken other measures. In March, the Utah governor signed a law allowing firing squads to be used for executions, and Arkansas, Wyoming and Idaho have considered replacing lethal injections with firing squads.

Mr. Ricketts tried to ward off concerns about the availability of drugs by announcing this month that he had made arrangements with a pharmaceutical company to obtain the necessary drugs for lethal injections. Some lawmakers said that the governor had not actually obtained the drugs, asserting that he was trying to sway legislators to uphold his veto. Those lawmakers have also raised questions about whether those drugs would be legal to use if the governor had obtained them.

Profiles of the 10 on Nebraska's death row right now:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nebraska-death-row-who-are-10-inmates-affected-repeal-n365681

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Anora posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjpmT5noto
(Here's the embed, as, gently caress off youtube, let me copy the drat url)

This should answer your question.

Holy poo poo, thank gently caress I don't live in America... god drat I can't get over how hosed up that system is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Agrajag posted:

Holy poo poo, thank gently caress I don't live in America... god drat I can't get over how hosed up that system is.

Are you new to the whole "learning things about America" game? This is par for the course, not much different than everything else in this thread.

• Locked thread