Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

croutonZA posted:

I'm going to miss quotes like this when this game inevitably gets tossed on NCSoft's big pile of shutdown MMOs.

There is always Crowfall, my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm p. convinced that even if Wildstar becomes a decent game, the fanbase is going to discourage people from trying it again.

"Hey, I hear Wildstar implemented some cool changes, I should see what they are. Better load up the official forums and check the active threads."

"Cool changes" are far from enough. This game needs the FF XIV 2.0 treatment. A complete overhaul which won't happen.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
"We're in the no child left behind" era?

You just know a guy who uses that line to complain about casuals ruining games has a whole lot more opinions they could use a punch in the mouth for.

loving casual children just expecting to be given an education. Go grind in the library??

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
The end of last year WoW even updated one of their first raid dungeons so people could see how terrible it was and apparently some people still pine for that poo poo

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

IPlayVideoGames posted:

The end of last year WoW even updated one of their first raid dungeons so people could see how terrible it was and apparently some people still pine for that poo poo

actually if you listen to those people they "didn't do it right" because you don't have the old spells which explicitly countered that poo poo

which i guess is true for the curses. and nothing else. because raid design back then was a 30 minute duration curse that made you receive 50% less healing or some poo poo

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I want Wildstar to succeed because I like "sci-fi wow" and the cartoony aesthetic and would waste time on this game if they ever fix the developers attitudes.

I've been playing Rift lately and, is it just me, or is Rift basically what Wildstar wanted to be in terms of difficulty but better? There's always stuff for casual players to do but even their new version of LFR has one-hit-kill mechanics.

If you want sci-fi wow, why not SWTOR? at least you go to more then one planet.

but yes I agree wildstar had a lot going for it and it sad it's run by a team who are to full of the "HARDCORE" bullshit.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 27, 2015

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

sword_man.gif posted:

actually if you listen to those people they "didn't do it right" because you don't have the old spells which explicitly countered that poo poo

which i guess is true for the curses. and nothing else. because raid design back then was a 30 minute duration curse that made you receive 50% less healing or some poo poo

Mages and Druids still have curse removal, and as far as I recall they're the only ones who ever have.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Shadowlyger posted:

Mages and Druids still have curse removal, and as far as I recall they're the only ones who ever have.

The decurses aren't spammable anymore.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mizuti posted:

People have been demanding classic World of Warcraft servers since the game moved on from classic to Burning Crusade. I wonder how many people would actually play officially sanctioned classic servers all the way through to the hard and grindy content.

My guess is a tiny number, since it's such a inaccessible, dated, and niche product. But enough about Wildstar... :rimshot:

At the very least it would show off if people only play private vanilla/TBC/wotlk servers because they're free or what. I have to imagine it would be more popular than as just a niche product, but Blizzard has been saying no for ten years now.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
At least I still get a little bit of fun every new season in diablo 3. Hopefully overwatch will be fun too. Blizzard still make fun games, its just that wow isn't one of them anymore.

The most hilarious thing is that Ghostcrawler went to work on LoL and immediately began raging about casuals ruining his games.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/37f2jr/meta_meet_your_new_rwildstar_moderators/

The goon troll entry for moderator actually got made into a moderator.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Byolante posted:

At least I still get a little bit of fun every new season in diablo 3. Hopefully overwatch will be fun too. Blizzard still make fun games, its just that wow isn't one of them anymore.

The most hilarious thing is that Ghostcrawler went to work on LoL and immediately began raging about casuals ruining his games.

This was pretty funny when I found out about it a few months back. Dude just seems to despise the fact that design decisions need to be made with casual players in mind, and his comment about a good portion of players rejecting Cataclysm's "gently caress you" difficulty is one of the most passive aggressive things I've ever seen :allears:

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

as someone who likes SWTOR let me tell you SWTOR is only really enjoyable when they have a 12x exp event running and you can just enjoy the story. the sidequests are explictly not fun and six thousand dollars worth of VA work to justify you collecting 6 droid hearts or w/e

it's a fun game to play through a few times though, and makes me pine for an original sci-fi mmo that is good.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

yeah sidequests in swtor are 100% BC-level garbage

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

and his comment about a good portion of players rejecting Cataclysm's "gently caress you" difficulty is one of the most passive aggressive things I've ever seen :allears:
Have a link handy? I vaguely recall it being a kind of spectacularly pass-agg spergy flameout for someone that high up in a major game company who was usually so careful about picking their language. :allears:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Oh Snapple! posted:

This was pretty funny when I found out about it a few months back. Dude just seems to despise the fact that design decisions need to be made with casual players in mind, and his comment about a good portion of players rejecting Cataclysm's "gently caress you" difficulty is one of the most passive aggressive things I've ever seen :allears:

that sounds good please link

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
http://imgur.com/iDb22v9

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

:airquote: Compromising game design :airquote:

I love how much beating around the bush he's doing there, like he can't bring himself to actually tell players they should just gently caress off. He's basically saying that the things that made vanilla wow difficult (resist grinding, hours upon hours of trash mobs and tedium, etc) are what devs should still be designing because just making fights hard isn't actually hardcore.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

ghostcrawler more like idiot bitch crawler

e: welp swtor patch day today, guess i'll play tera at work :(

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 27, 2015

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I hate when I go to MMO Champion and there is a pretty beefy update and 2/3rds of it is nothing but a Ghostcrawler circlejerk. I just don't see why people would even be interested in reading what he thinks about WoW anymore.

EDIT: Those new demon models look cool, oh looks like warlocks will get them after all.

Givin fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 27, 2015

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

It seems to me more like he's just happy for a change of pace in his design constraints, because he no longer has to worry about whether or not something is too complex for people who are bad at vidjama games.

The rest is just him going, "No seriously, stop trying to reinterpret everything I say you sperglords."

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Would one of you be so kind as to tell me who this Ghostcrawler is?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Father Wendigo posted:

Would one of you be so kind as to tell me who this Ghostcrawler is?

he was the face of wow starting in wotlk and he left at the end of mop. he works for riot on league now. people didn't like him at the time because he could be snarky but then it turned out his replacements are even worse because they're completely up their own rear end and act like assholes.

please present feedback how we want it, bad feedback: a thing is bad and we would like it changed, good feedback: here is how you make thing more fun as it exists

or the dev that took his place on twitter: "we hear your complaints about the arms spec redesign...however you will love it. i do :)"

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

croutonZA posted:

I'm going to miss quotes like this when this game inevitably gets tossed on NCSoft's big pile of shutdown MMOs.

There will always be New garbage MMOs people are willing to fight to the last to defend

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Congrats to The Chairman. DrTugJobs is on the case!

http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/37f2jr/meta_meet_your_new_rwildstar_moderators/

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

I guess if you're gonna touch the poop, you might as well go all the way

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I feel bad about them taking my joke application enthusiastically seriously, so I might as well be polite

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

The Chairman posted:

I feel bad about them taking my joke application enthusiastically seriously, so I might as well be polite

At least they have one mod now who's smart enough to not be heavily invested in wildstar.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Chairman posted:

I am expecting great things from you. By great things, I mean horrible and hilarious drama that gets reposted here for our entertainment and your glory.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

yeah go tempban franbunny or something idk

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
And relay all the reported posts to us. Godspeed.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

sword_man.gif posted:

he was the face of wow starting in wotlk and he left at the end of mop. he works for riot on league now. people didn't like him at the time because he could be snarky but then it turned out his replacements are even worse because they're completely up their own rear end and act like assholes.

please present feedback how we want it, bad feedback: a thing is bad and we would like it changed, good feedback: here is how you make thing more fun as it exists

or the dev that took his place on twitter: "we hear your complaints about the arms spec redesign...however you will love it. i do :)"

yeah he was an awful dev and he picked his replacements who are all god-tier narcissist retards even beyond him

literally none of their gameplay design changes have been for the positive

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Well, one of the other (actual) new mods is definitely going for the gusto:

quote:

/r/Wildstar represents the largest third party fanbase for WildStar in the world.
As such, I've reached out to key individuals at Carbine to ask them about conducting exclusive interviews about the future of the game, potentially setting up AMA's, and including representatives of our moderation team for first-contact press releases.
The official forums, as many of you know, can sometimes be moderated with a heavy hand, and seems to contribute to the perceived 'code of silence' pertaining to anything that is either potentially negative feedback or something Carbine does not wish to discuss.
I'd like to assure this community, at minimum, that efforts are being made to answer your pressing questions. I've already sent mail to three key Carbine and NCSoft reps, and the phone calls start when I get home from vacation tomorrow.
Though I don't expect that they'll address certain issues prior to an official press release, even if we have double confirmation from unnamed sources (for example), including us in the first wave of interviews/AMA's about the subject would be a step in the right direction.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
The devs were very open and communicated to the fan base a lot back in beta.

Gee, I wonder what happened

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Anoia posted:

The devs were very open and communicated to the fan base a lot back in beta.

Gee, I wonder what happened

their twitter handle can be @CarbineDev

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

mulodyne posted:

as someone who likes SWTOR let me tell you SWTOR is only really enjoyable when they have a 12x exp event running and you can just enjoy the story. the sidequests are explictly not fun and six thousand dollars worth of VA work to justify you collecting 6 droid hearts or w/e

it's a fun game to play through a few times though, and makes me pine for an original sci-fi mmo that is good.

This is pretty much verbatim what my brother told me to try and 'sell' me on SWTOR last weekend. "During 12x xp weekends you can ignore all the grinding and MMO missions and play a fairly reasonable KOTOR-type storyline even as a Free player!"

I guess I was moderately tempted to give it a whirl just to see if Jennifer Hale voicing the female republic trooper is as good as her Commander Shepard :effort: But ultimately I just couldn't be arsed. My brother is the bigger Star Wars fan anyway.

Although I guess as the jackass who interrupted honorable lightsaber duels In Jedi Knight/Jedi Outcast MP with the flak cannon, I do appreciate that you can play non-jedi classes.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 27, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

trooper story is bad and dumb anyway

also male voicework in swtor is way better than w/e female voices i've heard, ~femshep~ or not

also your friend is retarded, 12x thing is for subscribers only + there is no such thing as "12x weekends"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mizuti posted:

WoW's coding is a mess; the game is partially controlled by killing invisible bunnies. No joke. But it has the excuse of being built on a very dated engine as well as being a decade old. Wildstar, being a 2014 release, has no such excuses.

To be fair, any database over fuve years old is going to be the same. Each programmer has their own way if doing things and they are the worst at the making process documents so their replacement just starts hanging what they do on the old stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

:spergin: im not sure why game engine using invisible entities to control w/e is somehow intrinsically wrong; i guess "lol bunnies" throws people off or something

• Locked thread