Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
God drat it feels good to be part of the most powerful nation on the face of the earth. Mmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just follow the Guardian live blog, it has all the latest stuff.

Also lol at FIFA having 15 officials arrested and their only comment so far is "Sepp wasn't involved." Like that really exonerates the organization or something.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crazy Ted posted:

I refuse to believe how Jack Warner gets swept up in this and Sepp Blatter doesn't end up getting caught in it too.

It's hard to believe they'd say that the corruption was "systemic" and just how FIFA operated on a daily basis without them having an inestigation going on into Sepp.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently a high-ranking Uruguayan official was arrested too?

Alain Post posted:

It's hard to believe they'd say that the corruption was "systemic" and just how FIFA operated on a daily basis without them having an inestigation going on into Sepp.
Especially, when you consider that he learned under the master himself - Joao Havelange.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

haha all of the payments were done via US banks too

These were not the smartest criminals ever.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Crazy Ted posted:

Note that they did this right as the FIFA Congress was starting. Really they're just waiting to arrest Blatter until his re-election ceremony for the big showstopper.

It'd be nice, but my instincts say that Blatter won't get caught up unless they can get something completely damning on him.

I mean, it's Switzerland. You give them a mandate to arrest every athletic-looking Carribean type that walks into one of their nice hotels, they're not going to say no. Having them extradite a very prominent Swiss citizen is a different kettle of fish, and would have real-world political implications.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

God bless america

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

God bless america

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Would Blatter consider removing his nomination and go into hiding/retirement?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

donkey salami posted:

Not likely imo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Troy Queef posted:

WE HAVE A STATEMENT!

Ruh roh.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Crazy Ted posted:

Chuck Blazer is going to bring down FIFA lol

http://youtu.be/xTo79sPCVXA

"Chuck Blazer? Chuck fuckin' Blazer... CHUCK FUCKIN' BLAZER? WHY? WHY WHY, GOD? WHY WOULD YOU BE SO CRUEL AS TO CHOOSE AN OLD MAN WITH loving COLON CANCER TO BRING ME DOWN?" -Sepp Blatter, 27 May 2015

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

donkey salami posted:

I bet he will claim the credit for cleaning up FIFA.

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
However this ends, I hope it doesn't affect the release of FIFA 16

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

CeeJee posted:

I bet he will claim the credit for cleaning up FIFA.

Actually Blatter was a deep undercover Interpol agent all along

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I'm so torn. On the one hand, this is just about the best outcome I hoped for in my deepest darkest fantasies.

On the other hand, they don't seem inclined to go after anyone other than North Americans so I feel like any positive long-term effects are going to be limited.

Oh, and the US is never ever getting the World Cup again. Course that was probably the case anyway, it's my sense that the western countries are finally getting fed up with bidding for the global sporting events and are happy to let the corrupt poo poo heaps of the world get it for as long as they're willing/stupid enough to pony up the dough/bribes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Big thing I just remembered: very probably nobody from Congress got a kickback or votes or anything out of the FIFA shenanigans involved in the DOJ investigation. Since FIFA didn't pay that piper, they ain't getting any tunes called for them from the Legislative Branch.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It's all a cowardly conspiracy against Sepp, arresting everyone who was going to vote for him.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FIFA has asked all members of the press to leave the hotel :laugh:

NOPE NOTHING TO SEE HERE! MOVE ALONG!

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 27, 2015

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
i am suffering from extreme priapism rn

qtiyd

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm so torn. On the one hand, this is just about the best outcome I hoped for in my deepest darkest fantasies.

On the other hand, they don't seem inclined to go after anyone other than North Americans so I feel like any positive long-term effects are going to be limited.

Oh, and the US is never ever getting the World Cup again. Course that was probably the case anyway, it's my sense that the western countries are finally getting fed up with bidding for the global sporting events and are happy to let the corrupt poo poo heaps of the world get it for as long as they're willing/stupid enough to pony up the dough/bribes.

These people are all gonna snitch on the higher ups in exchange for leniency. FIFA as we know it won't even exist in 10 years.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

African AIDS cum posted:

These people are all gonna snitch on the higher ups in exchange for leniency. FIFA as we know it won't even exist in 10 years.

FIFA President Don Garber :unsmigghh:

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Behold the man who may have toppled an empire:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The New York Times is now reporting 14 names of people it says have been charged in the US indictments. They are:

Jeffrey Webb
Eugenio Figueredo
Jack Warner
Eduardo Li
Julio Rocha
Costas Takkas
Rafael Esquivel
José Maria Marin
Nicolás Leoz

The New York Times says charges “were also expected against” sports marketing executives Alejandro Burzaco, Aaron Davidson, Hugo Jinkis and Mariano Jinkis.

It said José Margulies has also been charged for allegedly facilitating illegal payments.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Hope you're hungry, boys. Zurich Sandwich is on the menu.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

MaoistBanker posted:

The Donald Duck shirt owns.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MaoistBanker posted:

Looks like The Most Interesting Man in the World swallowed Jeremy Clarkson.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MaoistBanker posted:

You mean to tell me of all the pictures of Chuck Blazer you could have used, you didn't go with one where he's putter around on his mobility scooter?

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Crazy Ted posted:

You mean to tell me of all the pictures of Chuck Blazer you could have used, you didn't go with one where he's putter around on his mobility scooter?

Donald Duck owns bro

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

The New York Times is now reporting 14 names of people it says have been charged in the US indictments. They are:

Jeffrey Webb
Eugenio Figueredo
Jack Warner
Eduardo Li
Julio Rocha
Costas Takkas
Rafael Esquivel
José Maria Marin
Nicolás Leoz

The New York Times says charges “were also expected against” sports marketing executives Alejandro Burzaco, Aaron Davidson, Hugo Jinkis and Mariano Jinkis.

It said José Margulies has also been charged for allegedly facilitating illegal payments.

poo poo, the former heads of both CONCACAF and CONMEBOL? This is getting bigger than I thought it would.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Lol they nabbed Jeffery Webb

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

MaoistBanker posted:

one could hide a lot of wire in that beard

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

This. That's what the Justice Department will be aiming for. They can't touch anyone who wasn't directly involved in Bribery in the US in some way, but if they can get someone to go supergrass and that Bribery occurred that impacted the US they could probably charge them.

The whole deck of cards is probably going to crumble down assuming that Warner etc doesn't want a lengthy prison sentence.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

MaoistBanker posted:

Maybe I'm pessimistic but that is a huge "may"

Still, stoked for the fucks who are getting grabbed in this

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
first they saved Europe from Hitler and now they've saved Europe from FIFA

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Looks like The Most Interesting Man in the World swallowed Jeremy Clarkson.

I'm seeing old fat Robert Pattinson.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
God drat. It's been too long since the US has been unequivocally the good guys in world affairs.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

they're all readying their private jets to the coordinates of the secret fifa island theyve been building with all their bribe money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
All they had to do was not award the World Cup to the most obvious bribe country possible and these assholes could have made a killing for eons to come.