Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

one in a while the stars align and the interests of the US converge with unadulterated goodness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

CubanMissile posted:

All they had to do was not award the World Cup to the most obvious bribe country possible and these assholes could have made a killing for eons to come.

The best best case scenario for me is if FIFA winds up taking the World Cup away from Qatar and Qatar decides to spill the beans and take down the entire ExCo. At this point it seems like the US probably has dirt on each and every one of them but doesn't feel confident charging anyone but those with the most contacts actually in the US.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

The USA saves soccer after all. Makes you think.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Boy, FIFA's internal ethics committee's faces are sure gonna be red when they realize all this corruption happened right under their noses!

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I won't start celebrating until they arrest Blatter, but it's a start. Thanks America, glad that we can count on you again. :911:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

gently caress the Champions League Final this is quickly turning into the greatest football-related event we'll see in 2015.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Nice one, america!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol at anyone who thinks this will change anything, all of the power is consolidated in europe and you'd be a fool to think that blatter and the true elites within the organization didn't have themselves legally isolated from charges.

it's just a long jail sentence for a few of the most obvious cronies and further bad PR for FIFA, but we can see from their public ostensible endorsement of slave labor that they don't really give a poo poo.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I'm glad of it

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
:911:

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

straight up brolic posted:

lol at anyone who thinks this will change anything, all of the power is consolidated in europe and you'd be a fool to think that blatter and the true elites within the organization didn't have themselves legally isolated from charges.

it's just a long jail sentence for a few of the most obvious cronies and further bad PR for FIFA, but we can see from their public ostensible endorsement of slave labor that they don't really give a poo poo.

What I'm hoping in pure prime time show fashion is that they'll offer these people deals to give the Americans enough dirt on Blatter to prosecute him, but then again I'm a retard.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

from the other thread lol

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

I dunno, Commebol is a very large association that has a lot of power with regards to elections. Much like africa is full of loving easily bribed countries. You take away the easy votes and then things start to get a bit more difficult to bribe your way through.

The damage will also come from the fact some of these guys were about to be part of the executive committee, or indeed were already serving on it. Further criminalises blatter by association.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

This was a nice thing to wake up to.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Agreed.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

serious gaylord posted:

I dunno, Commebol is a very large association that has a lot of power with regards to elections. Much like africa is full of loving easily bribed countries. You take away the easy votes and then things start to get a bit more difficult to bribe your way through.

The damage will also come from the fact some of these guys were about to be part of the executive committee, or indeed were already serving on it. Further criminalises blatter by association.

Whatever happened to Mayne-Nicholls's candidacy after all? I thought he was one of the few Conmebol officials who didn't look as corrupt.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Things are happening, I'm shocked. Even if all that happens is the USA are kicked out of FIFA and have to play in that bootleg world cup with the likes of Monaco and the Federated States of Micronesia it's still a positive outcome.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

HJB posted:

Things are happening, I'm shocked. Even if all that happens is the USA are kicked out of FIFA and have to play in that bootleg world cup with the likes of Monaco and the Federated States of Micronesia it's still a positive outcome.

We won't really mind.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

yeah you're right

i guess my cynicism is just that there's no like alternative choice out there that is fully about the advancement of the game or fairness or justice. The people that get into this 'non-profit' line of work are all corrupt; one would assume that an equally bribeable person will rise up in their stead.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

quote:

Details of the FBI investigation which led to today’s arrests emerged in November last year via The New York Daily News - headline “Soccer Rat!” - which claimed Chuck Blazer, the former Fifa executive turned FBI informant, had used a bugging device to record meetings with his Fifa colleagues at the London 2012 Olympics.

The paper claimed how, faced with a multi-million dollar bill for unpaid tax on hidden earnings, Blazer agreed to cooperate with an investigation by the FBI and the Internal Revenue Service. He then recorded meetings with Fifa colleagues on a bug hidden inside a key fob while staying at a Mayfair hotel during the Olympics.

The investigation into Blazer’s tax affairs turned up some choice claims about his lifestyle - including the revelation that Concacaf paid $18,000 a month for his Trump Towers apartment, and another $6,000 per month for a second Trump Towers flat, used mainly by his cats.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Clearly you're unfamiliar with the institution of plea bargaining. I assure you, it is supper effective. Especially when it comes to white collar crime. Unless Blatter has death squads on speed dial, this is far from over.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

advanced statsman posted:

Whatever happened to Mayne-Nicholls's candidacy after all? I thought he was one of the few Conmebol officials who didn't look as corrupt.
last I heard he was considering running against Blatter, this was in like October

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
However poo poo the US are at football, they are far from the worst and it'd be a shame to see them leave their spot to the likes of… Trinidad & Tobago? I don't think FIFA will suspend their membership anyway, that'd be lost revenues for nothing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

BBC reporting alleged bribes totaling 100 million dollars.

Holy poo poo the Justice Department is going to go balls deep on this

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Sepp Blatter does sound like a lovely Star Wars extended universe character

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

This is the real reason for the scooter, so he could go pette his cattes. Walking would get to be a hassle.

edit: also he fat

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Chuck Blazer and the Pussy Palace

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

mackintosh posted:

Clearly you're unfamiliar with the institution of plea bargaining. I assure you, it is supper effective. Especially when it comes to white collar crime. Unless Blatter has death squads on speed dial, this is far from over.
I'm not the internation law guy, but *from the movies* if Blatter isolated himself from all of the actual paper trail and there aren't records of him saying elect this guy and pay him $x regarding money going into or out of the United States, what jurisdiction does the US have to prosecute him?

Again, I'm sure that he considered the possibility of this occurring.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

:captainpop:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Can't wait to see the courtroom footage, the Bushwick chapter of the American Outlaws at the ready with their song sheets, the capo gives the signal for the Judge Wapner themed tifo to unfold across the jury box...

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

serious gaylord posted:

CONMEBOL is the smallest association in terms of FIFA votes... only 10 members.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The arrest of Concacaf’s president Jeffrey Webb comes a month after Blatter’s visit to the confederation’s congress in the Bahamas. The event made headlines for a speech by one of the delegates in support of Blatter’s re-election: the Dominican Republic FA head Osiris Guzman, back in the game after his ban in the 2011 Concacaf bribery scandal, comparing Blatter to Moses, Jesus and Nelson Mandela. The Turks and Caicos FA vice-president Olive Smith called for delegates to vote for Sepp “en bloc, to continue this mutually beneficial journey”, and Webb summed up by telling the hall: “Concacaf is – more than ever – united by one vision.”

At this same congress there were literally 3-5 bodyguards posted at the doors to each bathroom, entrance, and exit to make sure no outsiders saw what was going on.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Crazy Ted posted:

comparing Blatter to Moses, Jesus and Nelson Mandela

Moses walked through the Red Sea, Jesus walked on water, Mandela walked with people of all colours; Blatter can't even walk across a stage.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQaH3-LK54

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

That's rather good news to wake up to. God bless America.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

I'm not the internation law guy, but *from the movies* if Blatter isolated himself from all of the actual paper trail and there aren't records of him saying elect this guy and pay him $x regarding money going into or out of the United States, what jurisdiction does the US have to prosecute him?

Again, I'm sure that he considered the possibility of this occurring.

I'm sure he has. I'm also sure the people they just picked up will be doing their absolute best to get an immunity deal in exchange for Blatter's head. They'll come up with something soon enough. FIFA isn't a country and football fans everywhere hate it. It's not like there is going to be an international backlash if they indite him on a bogus charge.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Hmmm, turns out that American imperialism... is good?

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
Update - Swiss Federal Office of Justice opens criminal proceedings over the allocation of the 2018 and 2022 football world cups

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm loving this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

excuse me lady posted:

Update - Swiss Federal Office of Justice opens criminal proceedings over the allocation of the 2018 and 2022 football world cups

I'm proper loving this wow.