Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Where's the basic ursine diagram? I've got like 3 cat diagrams already but that greatcoat just looks so pretty.

It's in some broken castle at the top of a mountain in skellige. Don't remember which one sadly but there's a side quest to do some challange and get a token of Earth and a token of air or something.

The armor looks amazing minus the drat rusted chain mail portions. The only reason that irks me is because I made the entire set in one Forge run. The chain should been shiny and new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Voyager I posted:

The books weren't fully translated into English last I checked, but the theme seemed to be that Geralt's pretty bad at making friends and not a whole lot better at keeping them alive.

EDIT: this raises another question as to how the gently caress Dandelion has managed to survive spending this much time woefully over his head with some of the most dangerous people on the planet.

Geralt is a giant baby when they start out on their trip, yeah. He gets better at that. Not so much at the other thing but it's hard to blame him for that. The last book is pretty sad because even if someone doesn't die in the present, their death is shown in the future. And everyone in Geralt's traveling party but Dandelion die. The book ends with Geralt being stabbed and Yennefer killing herself from exhaustion trying to save him while he bleeds to death. It's a pretty depressing book.

To be fair, he also has some good friends to help bail him out when he gets in over his head. Presumably when he's in his element, his head isn't in as much danger of being removed.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Voyager I posted:

The books weren't fully translated into English last I checked, but the theme seemed to be that Geralt's pretty bad at making friends and not a whole lot better at keeping them alive.

EDIT: this raises another question as to how the gently caress Dandelion has managed to survive spending this much time woefully over his head with some of the most dangerous people on the planet.

Geralt gets all his non-Witcher non-Dandelion, non-Zoltan friends killed trying to assault Stygga Castle, which is in one of the Polish books (more specifically, Pani Jeziora - the latest released Polish book). The games take place well after the books.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Indeed. For all the people who think Nilfgaard isn't so bad...

Between "lets impose a level of cultural and legal imperialism" and "lets kill/rape/steal everything from all the things that aren't us", I take cultural imperialism every time. The Empire is repugnant on a modern scale, not so bad on a medieval one and is down right peachy in Witcher terms. Nilfgaard is terrible, Redania is worse; get further into the game and you'll see just how much worse.
Freedom is great, but half the point behind freedom is that you should be free to not die.

Arglebargle III posted:

Getting back to Nilfgaard, isn't Emhyr on a mission to conquer the world because he believes the Time of Disdain is nigh and the continent needs to be politically united to have a chance of surviving?

In the books he believes in Ithlinne's prophecy, which basically says Ciri will rule half the world and her son will rule the entire world and usher in a new world or something to that effect.
In the game, he is being pressured into abdicating as unease at the war and the fact that he seems to like being at war is making the nobles unhappy and less wealthy. Ending spoilers following:

[spoiler[If you get the Nilfgaard ending, Ciri moves to Nilfgaard and takes over (as heir?). To the "Nilfgaard sucks" thing, Emhyr does crack down (in the usual "crack down-y" fashion, replete with hangings and public humiliations) on the nobles and the Redanians as he establishes his power (but in my game he remade Temeria so all is forgiven; Anais, your time has come).[/spoiler]

quote:

various Triss stuff

YEAH BUT SHE WAS IN PLAYBOY AND YENNEFER WASN'T SO NURR. /sarcasm
Philippa has it right when she says that Geralt, Yennefer and Triss make a really bad family for Ciri what with Geralt being the father that's never home, Yennefer being the ice queen Ciri doesn't (didn't, Ciri didn't like Yennefer at first) really like and Triss being the Big Sister who can't wait to hop into bed with Dad (Philippa states it very differently)

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 27, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

drat really? The flavor text says "sell for a large sum of money" but they offer between 1 and 30 coin for all of this blue and gold junk I'm carrying. That sucks.

Just realized enemies can hit each other. Dodged and attack and an axe dude missed and beheaded his own guy :black101:

Honestly I would just hold onto them in case you need ground up rubies for crafting or something. I've been making tons of money just selling off swords and armor I don't use anyway.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The northern rulers only rule due to many bloody contests of their own, Witcher 2 had two wars and in Witcher 3 Redania conquers Kaedwen, their ally. None of these countries have a democracy, it's medieval rule of might. Radovid is as "justified" to rule as the emperor in my opinion.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's Witcher. Everyone is an rear end in a top hat. Even if they're your friend. Especially if they're your friend.

It's a nice world to sightsee at but good golly I would never want to live there.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Avalerion posted:

The northern rulers only rule due to many bloody contests of their own, Witcher 2 had two wars and in Witcher 3 Redania conquers Kaedwen, their ally. None of these countries have a democracy, it's medieval rule of might. Radovid is as "justified" to rule as the emperor in my opinion.

In a world where two assholes ask you to pick sides, The Witcher marks out a middle path with a finger raised in each direction.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

boat what are you doing here this is not the ocean. go home boat you are drunk.

edit: also wearing the ursine armor in that picture.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Voyager I posted:

In a world where two assholes ask you to pick sides, The Witcher marks out a middle path with a finger raised in each direction.

also pick the option that leads to the most sexy time

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Radovid quest question: Does doing and completing the quest for Radovid to find Philippa Eilhart fail Dijkstra's quest to assassinate Radovid? Do those two quests affect each other at all? Figured I'd do whatever Radovid wants me to do then backstab him in the other quest after I finish that one. Try to avoid spoilers in answering please.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Radovid quest question: Does doing and completing the quest for Radovid to find Philippa Eilhart fail Dijkstra's quest to assassinate Radovid? Do those two quests affect each other at all? Figured I'd do whatever Radovid wants me to do then backstab him in the other quest after I finish that one. Try to avoid spoilers in answering please.

I did the Philippa quest long before I even got the quest from Dijkstra so...:shrug:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I remember and interesting discussion I had with a professor of history at Fudan University (a top-tier university in China) in which he gave the opinion that one of the major reasons for the west's relative success compared to China was the difference in the feudal system. In China, vassals merely controlled land by virtue of being given the authority by the emperor. The emperor owned all the land. What's more, in concept, at least, the power of the vassals was also simply borrowed from the emperor. The system was completely top down and power radiated out from the throne. In the west, on the other hand, the land was owned and controlled by the vassal, who had it by his personal right, though he was obliged to use it to support his lord. He claimed this fundamental difference led to the rights of the individual being much easier to establish and defend in western Europe, which was a major basis for the enlightenment.

See I am somewhat suprised by that because it was very similar in the Medieval/ Renaissance West. Even if the Duke had been in charge of the land for 200 years or so the land is still technically leased from the king. It just so happens that the T'ang did the more sensible thing of trying to limit who controlled the area by putting in things like "a rotating bureau of people" and "no your son doesn't get to inherit" though that fell by the quayside after the An Lushan rebellions.

And the real differences only start to come out somewhat later. For starters the Qing dynasty was, at it's start, essentially a fully normal and functional nation state in Europe, easily on par with Britain and France at the time. The problems there after came because of an unwillingness to exploit further advantages both at a local and national level, but I cannot really blame them for that, it's what a lot of people would do. The Chinese also made sure to collect interesting Western stuff and actively use it, just sometime it was clock work and farming substances instead of guns.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Is there an official ruling on the place of Witchers in the world in the present timeline? They're presented as a dying breed of holdovers from a less civilized era and the in-game glossaries state that there are no more being trained. The Wolf school is like half a dozen dudes with no trainees, and the handful of other schools we hear about are either described as being in even worse shape or exist only as one-line background filler. At the same time, they're apparently still common enough that everyone knows what they are, most people can recognize one on sight, and they are getting enough work done that people still consider putting up a contract for them worthwhile. They even seem to die fairly frequently without it being considered a big deal when it sounds more like they should be getting crossed off a running tally of known individuals.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Do the books or games ever explain why mages and sorceresses seem to be so afraid of witch hunters and the church when they have magic? The more powerful ones are capable of wiping out entire armies so surely the conclave would be able to throw their weight around without fear of persecution? I know it's supposed to be analogous to the medieval witch hunts but in the witcher world, the targets can actually use magic.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Manatee Cannon posted:

I mostly spoilered that stuff in the first place because the guy spoilered her name to make it not obvious who he was referring to and thus not spoil something in this game, but may as well keep it up in case someone wants to read the books or play the old games.

She uses Ciri to toy with Geralt a bit and was only even going to try and sleep with him. Her being a member of the lodge kind of hurts her relationship with Ciri as well since their entire goal was exactly the same as Nilfgaard's: to kidnap her, plant her on a throne, and use her as breeding stock for a super baby. I've not been wholly fair to her or anything though; I've been focusing on the negative because I feel it outweighs the positive. But she does do some cool and good things. For instance she saves Geralt's life when he gets beaten up by Vilgefortz. Though on the other hand, that only happened because he got caught in the crossfire of her mage faction and Vilgefortz's vying for supremacy (and Ciri), and also the Lodge are the ones that kidnap Yennefer during this and frame her as a Nilfgaardian sympathizer in league with Vilgefortz. They then use that and Ciri both to try and blackmail her into joining their little club. I do agree that the games handle her better but she's still the same in regards to Geralt.

Like I said, liking her is valid and that's cool if you do but I just can't. If you don't dig into her character at all or read the books then she seems pretty cool but when you go deeper it gets pretty ugly. Which is actually good characterization, in my opinion, but I can appreciate a well written character without liking them personally.

I definitely understand, without reading the books and playing the games you see Triss without alot of the flaws from the books. However for the most part I think she grows as a character between the book and the games and is a better person by Witcher 3, I never have played the first game so I didn't really get the Geralt amnesia aspect of their relationship (which is lovely still).

It is also interesting that in the books Geralt meets Yarpin before Zoltan etc. I was surprised at how small his role is in the books considering his importance in the games... the guy I miss the most is Regis he was a cool dude.

Ragingsheep posted:

Do the books or games ever explain why mages and sorceresses seem to be so afraid of witch hunters and the church when they have magic? The more powerful ones are capable of wiping out entire armies so surely the conclave would be able to throw their weight around without fear of persecution? I know it's supposed to be analogous to the medieval witch hunts but in the witcher world, the targets can actually use magic.

I think the primary issue is magic is exhausting and there also are anti-magic tools available like Dimetrium etc. Or the fact that Yen is easily one of the most powerful magic users in the setting and scale down from there. There also issues of the conclave is splintered and most of the top dog mages hate each other/distrust one another and the fact they are horribly outnumbered. Sure they can kill a few dozen witch hunters, but when there are hundreds more you will go down eventually. Hell Geralt is even killed at the end of the book series (not a spoiler revealed early on in games) by a goddamn peasant with a pitchfork who got lucky. So even the best can get gibbed by a lucky normal.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 27, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, magic-users seem to be really good with blowing stuff up but not so good at the "make myself an immortal lich" thing.

Plus even back in Witcher 2 we saw Triss zonk out after putting up an arrow-shield spell for a few minutes.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Magic users might be marvelously powerful in their kind of fight but they're still just flesh and blood. They can get shot in the back or killed in their sleep like anyone else.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Does anyone know exactly how armor and damage resistance interact here? Google hasn't trawled up a solid answer yet, and I'm somewhat curious as to whether all those thirty-odd percent slashing damage reduction things really are chopping off a third of the baddies' damage or if there's something more esoteric going on. I saw something implying that in Witcher 2 the percentages were actually multipliers for your armor value rather than a reduction of the hit, which is what has me wondering (I mean, Internet, so that guy might just be crazy). The only manual I could trawl up appeared to be a screenshot of the interface and two pages of text explaining the bits, which is super helpful.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Zoo06 posted:

There are a lot of North American sounding woodpeckers in the mountains of Skellige.

my girlfriend is just baffled by the accents in this game after watching me play it for like 10 mins

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Schlesische posted:

Between "lets impose a level of cultural and legal imperialism" and "lets kill/rape/steal everything from all the things that aren't us", I take cultural imperialism every time.

Lets be fair Im pretty sure the Nilfgaardians are also raping and pillaging across the country side.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Is there a reason these statues in this graveyard are following me? Didn't seem related to the quest at all.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Reposting this question again because I didn't get an answer. Regarding the end of the Baron's questline:

If I got the path where he saves his wife and takes her off to a healer, will I ever see him, Anna and/or Tamara again? Or is that the end of them in this game?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

slev posted:

Is there a reason these statues in this graveyard are following me? Didn't seem related to the quest at all.

Looks like a Dr. Who reference.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Pellisworth posted:

I sort of wanted to kill him because he'd slaughtered and eaten the group of soldiers he'd "enlisted" with as well as a bunch of peasants. On the other hand poor dumb Trollolol didn't seem to know any better. So I left him to guarding his boat-fort. :unsmith:

I hope the troll's version is fine art and Geralt's looks like fingerpainting in comparison, heh

Yeah, if the troll paints it's a nearly-perfect rendition of the Redania coat of arms but Trollolol thinks it's crap and you're just saying it looks good to be nice. :v:

e. Also, Triss is a cutie and I'm totally choosing her for my first playthrough (Already did actually, and kind of regret it...but also don't...so witcherdecisions.txt)

Archimago fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 27, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is there some sort of heavy EXP reduction for Broken Bones and up?
I'm only level 24 but it does't really seem as though there's enough content to get to level 30+ (the heavy bear gear needs level 31, for example.)

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

adhuin posted:

Aside from morality systems, currently Nilfgaard seems better for commoners because they have peace inside their borders and a relatively strong ruler. Those things can change.

I...don't know about that, man. Nilfgaard's also press-ganging and taking the majority of the peasants' grain to feed their army. There may be more stability for the time being but people are going to die off in droves under the current system.

slev posted:

It's a Doctor Who reference. There's a race of aliens in the series that look like statues of weeping angels and can only move when they're not being observed by a sapient creature.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Did you or did you not ask why everyone hates the Nilfgaardians??

And no, I didn't imply any such thing. You are being intentionally obstinate.

I asked what reason the game gave me for hating the Nilfgaardians more than any of the game's many, many dickheads. You instantly jumped into making a comparison about defending someone who is a pedophile. :iiam:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Begemot posted:

Man, it really bugs the hell out of me how Triss and Dandelion are apparently the only people in the whole world with flat American accents. Every single other person I've run into is either British or Scottish or whatever Nilfgaardian is supposed to be.

I mean, it's my accent and all, but it really grates on my ears in the middle of that context. I guess Geralt doesn't have an accent either but it doesn't stand out as much with his gravelly batman voice.

But Geralt does have an accent? He's got an American one, just like all the witchers. The north have English/Scottish/Welsh, Nilfgaard have their Dutch/German hybrid and Skellige has their mix of northern and southern Irish accents.

I quite enjoy a lot of the peasants having a proper west country accent though, feels like home to me. Shame no Inns sell scrumpy though, Geralt would be wasted 24/7.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

NaDy posted:

But Geralt does have an accent? He's got an American one, just like all the witchers. The north have English/Scottish/Welsh, Nilfgaard have their Dutch/German hybrid and Skellige has their mix of northern and southern Irish accents.

I quite enjoy a lot of the peasants having a proper west country accent though, feels like home to me. Shame no Inns sell scrumpy though, Geralt would be wasted 24/7.
It's all those highly toxic potions. Murder on the throat. :haw:

Serious talk, I've only read the cliffnotes that come with 2 & 3 but isn't Geralt's 'canon' thing that he's one of those MYSTERIOUS STRANGERS who nobody knows where the hell he's from originally anyway?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Voyager I posted:

He's Geralt's Chas.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

limited posted:

Serious talk, I've only read the cliffnotes that come with 2 & 3 but isn't Geralt's 'canon' thing that he's one of those MYSTERIOUS STRANGERS who nobody knows where the hell he's from originally anyway?

He's a Witcher, so he's probably some random orphan. Of Rivia is just an assumed title to make him sound more respectable than a one-name peasant nobody.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

haris pilton posted:

Being Dutch myself it doesn't sound Dutch.
It sounds like a scandinavian dialect.

When you uncurse soldier figurine, the soldier at some point says scheiss which was subtitled as poo poo, so we can just settle on Nilfgaard = sort of Germany.

limited posted:

That's pretty much it. Geralt of Rivia is his own invention, he does not know if he is from Rivia or wherever.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 27, 2015

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

limited posted:

Arglebargle III posted:

He's a Witcher, so he's probably some random orphan. Of Rivia is just an assumed title to make him sound more respectable than a one-name peasant nobody.

From the books:

Geralt's mother is a sorceress and he even meets her in one of the short stories. While his title was originally made up, in the proper novels (was it Blood of Elves or a later one?) the queen of Lyria knights him as "Geralt of Rivia" ironically making it an official title.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think my biggest issue with the game's plot, and it's a fairly minor one all things considered, is how the game assumes we share the same attachment to Triss and Yen as Geralt does. I don't like either of them but Geralt keeps moping about being torn between the two and how they're true wuvs. W2 attempted to make me feel bad when I helped Roche rather than save Triss but it's like I don't care.

:saddowns:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Welp, my 5-day weekend is over. I've put in about an average of 12 hours a day of Witcher playin' and there's still so much to do. :catstare:

Game owns.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Archimago posted:

Yeah, if the troll paints it's a nearly-perfect rendition of the Redania coat of arms but Trollolol thinks it's crap and you're just saying it looks good to be nice. :v:

e. Also, Triss is a cutie and I'm totally choosing her for my first playthrough (Already did actually, and kind of regret it...but also don't...so witcherdecisions.txt)

Haha yeah, I'm in the same boat. Before starting my first game I was planning on going with Yen, but the way Geralt and Triss are awkwardly traipsing around each other is just too adorable :3:.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

poptart_fairy posted:

I asked what reason the game gave me for hating the Nilfgaardians more than any of the game's many, many dickheads. You instantly jumped into making a comparison about defending someone who is a pedophile. :iiam:

No, I instantly pointed out that they have some pretty reprehensible practices, like slavery, and you ignored that. That's when I brought up pedophilia.

Also, I shouldn't have called you guys neocons, what's really bothering me is the explicit fascism. When did this board turn into 4chan?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aurain posted:

I'm only level 24 but it does't really seem as though there's enough content to get to level 30+ (the heavy bear gear needs level 31, for example.)

I'm virtually certain there is. Which seems like kind of a dumb decision since, as you point out, it cuts you off from the ability to ever equip high-end gear. It would have made more sense to increase creature spawn density, level, damage, HP, basically anything other than what was actually done.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

No, I instantly pointed out that they have some pretty reprehensible practices, like slavery, and you ignored that. That's when I brought up pedophilia.

And my argument was that it didn't seem worse than other activities the other nations are doing, hence why I clarified my comment about seeing everyone as equally dickish rather than the Nilfgaardians to be morally superior. Also lmao at the fascism thing. I know the Witcher 3's your baby dude, but you could be a little less dramatic about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Aurain posted:

I don't think so, but you get a shitload of exp from the Main quest line, and the final stretch has quite a few parts.