Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

The official twitter is now saying that the Europe release is on May 28th, bah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Guys, I just can't kill the Chargers. Trying to do stuff differently this playthrough, but I just. can't. do. it. Iron Bull gets so bummed out I just end up reloading :(

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

Guys, I just can't kill the Chargers. Trying to do stuff differently this playthrough, but I just. can't. do. it. Iron Bull gets so bummed out I just end up reloading :(

Killing the Charger does suck, but pragmatically an Alliance with the Qunari is better than one mercenary band. You get naval support in the form of Dreadnoughts as well as direct reports from their spies. You can also save half of Denerim from burning down and deal a big blow to the Venatori's spy network only if you ally with the Qunari (though this only happens through the War Table). And, hopefully, a real alliance with the Qunari may open up more diplomatic ventures in the future. Best case scenario being the Qunari call a real truce with Thedas. And if they try to invade even though they are your allies, then you'll know they are truly assholes and you won't feel bad kicking their rear end.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SubponticatePoster posted:

PSN usually updates in the afternoon, so it's not unusual. I've been :f5:ing for a while now, but 2-3 PST is normal.
It's available now.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

As a Tal-Vashoth, gently caress the Qun :black101:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

It's available now.

Yeah, finally. Now the only question is, do I play it first with my Solas-romancing Elf archer who is *this* close to endgame, and who I haven't touched in months? Or my Knight Enchanter who's about halfway through and is a canon playthrough because I'm a dork like that?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
From what I understand it's L20+ so whichever one won't get their poo poo pushed in? :v:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

From what I understand it's L20+ so whichever one won't get their poo poo pushed in? :v:

That would probably be neither at this point, they're both unstoppable killing machines :sigh:. The fact that it's so incredibly easy to get completely overpowered is probably my least favorite thing about this game.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Crow Jane posted:

That would probably be neither at this point, they're both unstoppable killing machines :sigh:. The fact that it's so incredibly easy to get completely overpowered is probably my least favorite thing about this game.
I dunno, I've died a couple of times already (and I'm 23 I think) and can't remember the last time that happened. It's great! :haw:

e: I've been fighting 24's so far, right out of the gate

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I took a nigh invincible team of two templars, varric and solas spec'd for shields and rez and went after an Ice Troll and got rekt. I won but any given hit would evaporate a bar of health like it was made of pixie wishes. To be fair, I had forgone Guard on Hit abilities on my armor in favor of Hidden Blade stacking on everyone's gear.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Wow, yeah, you guys aren't kidding. I'm level 20, and that first giant just absolutely wiped the floor with my party.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So does Jaws of Hakkon actually extend the story and matter to the plot or is it just a hardtype dungeon like Golems of Amgarrak or something?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

It's in-between? The major plot of Jaws of Hakkon is digging into the history of the last Inquisitor before you. It doesn't directly impact the main plot, but it's not a dungeon slog at all. It definitely builds on some things in the lore, and you get to actually interact with the Avvar and learn a lot more about them (which is totally new). The new area is also pretty cool to explore, if you like that, and the loot upgrade is fantastic. Every single rift drops a really good purple item, there is silverite all over the place, and you get access to sweet Tier 4 armor.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Is it like the DA2 plot dlc where if I go post endgame I can take certain unavailable characters?

In other news: Found Blackwall's VA in Witcher 3. He doesn't even try to sound different :3:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

eating only apples posted:

Is it like the DA2 plot dlc where if I go post endgame I can take certain unavailable characters?

No, the DLC is a new area like the Hinterlands. You unlock it through the war table like any other area and can enter it at any point in the game.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

eating only apples posted:

In other news: Found Blackwall's VA in Witcher 3. He doesn't even try to sound different :3:

No, if you play post end-game, certain characters will be unavailable.

Who did everyone take with them? I'm on hard and rolling with my KE, Cass, Dorian and Blackwall at the moment, which normally means instant death to anyone that crosses our path. In the DLC, we're getting our asses handed to us every other battle (which is honestly a refreshing change of pace). The awesome gear and schematics we're finding are certainly helping, but I'm afraid that any other team I take would get their poo poo pushed in really quickly. I wanted to take Solas, Cole and Bull on my Tempest elf play through, because she really doesn't like humans and I'd like to hear what other characters have to say about things, but I'm afraid we'd just get slaughtered.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I was rolling with Cass, Dorian, and whomever I felt like last night, usually Varric or Sera. Though I threw Bull in there at one point and swapped Dor out for Viv. It's post game so Solas is on vacation.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I took Blackwall, Dorian and Sera. Got a new appreciation for Sera as she'd yell "WHAT? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!" in the background during all my choices. Dorian had some great commentary on the tevinter stuff around the basin.

Party banter was cranked up to the extreme in the DLC. I got more chatter between those 3 than I did between all characters in the entire rest of the game. When clearing out say, Hissing Wastes, I'd get a banter every 30 minutes or so, compared to every 5 in the DLC. Does that mean I was affected by the banter bug? I didn't start playing until last month so I thought they'd patched it by then. The main game would have been so much better if they'd talked like that the whole way through.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I've been using my dual wielding tempest, Cass, Blackwall, and Vivienne. It is nice to have such challenging battles and I'm also really enjoying the scenery and the Avvar lore so far.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Stop talking about the DLC, you inconsiderate people! :cry:

Uh, sorry. Stressful day, you know? :stare:

Sounds like when I do eventually get my hands on it, I'll want to to use my currently-in-progress Inquisitor (ranged-focused Rogue Assassin), who is late-game, but pre-end-game. (Edit: My other Inquisitor being post-game and something like L25 after I hunted all the dragons).

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

I brought Cassandra, Dorian, and Cole around on most of the Hakkon missions. They all definitely had interesting stuff to add. Try bringing Cole around Stone-Bear Hold.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The expansion came out yesterday on PS4 and this thread is buried? Is that a bad sign? Is it worth 15bux?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

precision posted:

The expansion came out yesterday on PS4 and this thread is buried? Is that a bad sign? Is it worth 15bux?

It's a small expansion, and it's not bad but doesn't really add anything to the game. It's a nice new zone and a small, self-contained story.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

precision posted:

Hopefully we're too busy playing it to comment! I just finished, and it was good fun, although I wish the Basin would go back to daylight. It was kind of annoying finishing up certain sidequests in the dark.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

bagrada posted:

I took Blackwall, Dorian and Sera. Got a new appreciation for Sera as she'd yell "WHAT? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!" in the background during all my choices. Dorian had some great commentary on the tevinter stuff around the basin.

Party banter was cranked up to the extreme in the DLC. I got more chatter between those 3 than I did between all characters in the entire rest of the game. When clearing out say, Hissing Wastes, I'd get a banter every 30 minutes or so, compared to every 5 in the DLC. Does that mean I was affected by the banter bug? I didn't start playing until last month so I thought they'd patched it by then. The main game would have been so much better if they'd talked like that the whole way through.

I haven't played the DLC, but before the patches, I didn't have a problem with the banter bug. Once they "fixed" it, banter went way down. Although I did get more background music, I guess.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So how early can you start the DLC quest? I ended up restarting the game before taking a break from it months ago, so it's gonna be a while before I can do it. Is it available as soon as you get to Skyhold or what? I guess I could ask the same about the Black Emporium.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

precision posted:

I finished it up last night. Felt like I got my $15 worth.

Geostomp posted:

So how early can you start the DLC quest? I ended up restarting the game before taking a break from it months ago, so it's gonna be a while before I can do it. Is it available as soon as you get to Skyhold or what? I guess I could ask the same about the Black Emporium.
I don't think it's level-locked or anything, but the enemies are 23+ and the fights are hard so I wouldn't take someone who was say, 15, you'd just get hosed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Emporium can be unlocked for free as soon as you can access the War Table.

Jaws of Hakkon requires you at least get to Skyhold, I believe, and its baddies start at or near level 23 or so.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

SgtSteel91 posted:

Killing the Charger does suck, but pragmatically an Alliance with the Qunari is better than one mercenary band. You get naval support in the form of Dreadnoughts as well as direct reports from their spies. You can also save half of Denerim from burning down and deal a big blow to the Venatori's spy network only if you ally with the Qunari (though this only happens through the War Table). And, hopefully, a real alliance with the Qunari may open up more diplomatic ventures in the future. Best case scenario being the Qunari call a real truce with Thedas. And if they try to invade even though they are your allies, then you'll know they are truly assholes and you won't feel bad kicking their rear end.
Regarding the chargers, the conflict is inland, all the established armies and states in thedas are consistently useless garbage, and the qun leaves no room for real negotiation. As a smaller, more pc-esque group, the chargers are worth more than another bunch of extras to flail around in the crowd scenes until the player turns up to fix everything.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

A Catastrophe posted:

Regarding the chargers, the conflict is inland, all the established armies and states in thedas are consistently useless garbage, and the qun leaves no room for real negotiation. As a smaller, more pc-esque group, the chargers are worth more than another bunch of extras to flail around in the crowd scenes until the player turns up to fix everything.

Plus anyone who kills the Chargers is a goddamn monster :colbert:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Catastrophe posted:

My main issue was how that entire situation went down with Iron Bull ABSOLUTELY calling what would go wrong. The Qunari did not listen to him, got really tense about being questioned, and insisted doing it their way. And then HE was supposed to take all the loss on his own head. Is that how all our 'alliance' is going to go, Qunari? Are you going to be laying out how it's going to be done and ignoring our input the whole time? And when something we saw coming goes wrong, we take all the losses? Because that's not an alliance, that's me working for you.

I'd rather have the competent, loyal strike force that gets poo poo done. They even kill that envy demon from the Templar side if you go mage side.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 29, 2015

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Regarding the Chargers I actually find it hard not to let them die. Fighting people and risking their lives is their job, and ultimately at that point you are weighing the lives of six people against the lives of what is presumably a hundred others on that Dreadnought. Making those tough decisions dispassionately is your job as the leader of a military order, playing favourites with the Chargers puts the deaths of the Dreadnought crew on your hands. I can't sign the death warrants of all those people, whose only crime was being less well known to me than six mercenaries.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Reveilled posted:

Regarding the Chargers I actually find it hard not to let them die. Fighting people and risking their lives is their job, and ultimately at that point you are weighing the lives of six people against the lives of what is presumably a hundred others on that Dreadnought. Making those tough decisions dispassionately is your job as the leader of a military order, playing favourites with the Chargers puts the deaths of the Dreadnought crew on your hands. I can't sign the death warrants of all those people, whose only crime was being less well known to me than six mercenaries.

Plus an alliance with the Qun is HUGE. They barely talk to other people, you're literally making history. Yes, it SUPER sucks killing the Chargers, for all the reasons mentioned, let alone all the personal feelings you have for them; but at the end of the day, they put their lives on the line SPECIFICALLY for this reason.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I remember reading about that choice before going there in my playthrough and I was surprised how weak the mission is. Choice felt artificial Oh look, that force is between me and the Chargers, let's not try to run them down between us, let's talk about our feelings insteadl

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

alex314 posted:

I remember reading about that choice before going there in my playthrough and I was surprised how weak the mission is. Choice felt artificial Oh look, that force is between me and the Chargers, let's not try to run them down between us, let's talk about our feelings insteadl

THat pissed me off the most, really. Like, reality wise, it would be trivial for me and half the party to wreck those vints, just by rushing down that way.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Wasabi the J posted:

THat pissed me off the most, really. Like, reality wise, it would be trivial for me and half the party to wreck those vints, just by rushing down that way.

I can only assume that it was supposed to be a much larger force with the Chargers much further away. It still bugged the hell out of me for being such an obvious binary "moral dilemma".

Midnight Voyager posted:

My main issue was how that entire situation went down with Iron Bull ABSOLUTELY calling what would go wrong. The Qunari did not listen to him, got really tense about being questioned, and insisted doing it their way. And then HE was supposed to take all the loss on his own head. Is that how all our 'alliance' is going to go, Qunari? Are you going to be laying out how it's going to be done and ignoring our input the whole time? And when something we saw coming goes wrong, we take all the losses? Because that's not an alliance, that's me working for you.

I'd rather have the competent, loyal strike force that gets poo poo done. They even kill that envy demon from the Templar side if you go mage side.

That too. With both this and the qunari's habit of redefining terms to suit their purposes, they do not come off as the most reliable allies.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I wouldn't mind a grimdark game about Inquisition having to root out Qunari and then burn them at the stake. They make me unreasonably angry, especially in the universe where are unquestionably bigger assholes, like Venatori or Red Templars, or even rest of Tevinter..

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

So we got the world of Thedas 2 book which is beautiful and huge, and there's lots of little things that make me wonder about how the plot is going to develop. One detail is that in the chant of light bits written by Hessarian, they mention a mythic elven city called Barindur that was 'destroyed by Dumat. ' We know from what solas reveals that when tevinter discovered and then nuked Arlathan that they were already past their prime and had suffered some previous catastrophe, which solas had some part in, I'm sure. But this 'destroyed by dumat' is really weird. It seems obvious to me that the 'forgotten ones' (evil elven gods) are the same beings as the old gods worshipped by tevinter, even though the game repeatedly says they aren't. Even solas flatly denies any relationship between the old gods and elves. But yet somehow centuries before tevinter even knew elves existed, dumat destroyed their city? There's another bit about how it's speculated that the magisters originally learned blood magic from elves, which would make sense if the dragon+blood magic old gods were originally elven gods.

E:and looking again in that bit of the chant, the magisters who were cast out of the black city fell back to Earth 'where Barindur once stood' so that certainly supports the 'black city as ancient elven city' theory

swimming anime fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 29, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait, I never saw any other Qunari other than Iron Bull in the game. Where is this mission?

Also, Romances don't start until you do the ball right?

And Solas denying the Old Gods being the evil Elven Gods when they are can be explained by the desire not to have crazy Chantry people exterminating whats left of the Elves thinking that they are causing the blight.

I'm fully expecting a Dragon Age game to deal with the fade and all its crazyness. Directly having the Golden or Black cities as a place you actually go to. It would probably be the subject of an entire game, rather than DLC. Though i'd not be surprised to see a DLC that deals more with whats going on with the Wardens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, I never saw any other Qunari other than Iron Bull in the game. Where is this mission?

Also, Romances don't start until you do the ball right?

And Solas denying the Old Gods being the evil Elven Gods when they are can be explained by the desire not to have crazy Chantry people exterminating whats left of the Elves thinking that they are causing the blight.

I'm fully expecting a Dragon Age game to deal with the fade and all its crazyness. Directly having the Golden or Black cities as a place you actually go to. It would probably be the subject of an entire game, rather than DLC. Though i'd not be surprised to see a DLC that deals more with whats going on with the Wardens.

What? You didn't start romances until after the ball? You missed out on a cute scene, if you remembered to take your romance to the ball with you, I mean.

• Locked thread