Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Please just tell me that Tokyo Sexwale is going to be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

All the big sponsors will be replaced with Russian/Middle east equivalents.

Have you seen where the ruble / oil is?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Besides football executives, the list includes “US and South American sports marketing executives who are alleged to have systematically paid and agreed to pay well over $150 million in bribes and kickbacks to obtain lucrative media and marketing rights to international soccer tournaments.”

I'm fully expecting the amount of bribes to hit $300 million by the end of the day.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Friday afternoon will be when it really hits the fan. There must be loads of fifa members who are making GBS threads themselves now. Theres clearly a decision for maximum publicity impact in these charges. I still expect them to grab more people as soon as the votes over.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Should America do the IOC or the FIA next?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Issa Hayatou getting charged would probably be the most damaging for Blatter so lets hope that happens

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Could a fellow American please fulfill the needful and do a comprehensive write up as to the FIFA ExCom, CONCACAF and the other confederations would be which respective houses in Game of Thrones?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What a lovely day.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Four have already pled guilty. They're almost assuredly rolling on everyone.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Teddybear posted:

Plea deals are a hell of a thing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ahahahaha

The Guardian posted:

Among those on the charged list, 86-year-old Nicolás Leoz, the former Fifa executive and Conmebol president. Leoz - named in court in 2008 as having received bribes in Fifa’s unrelated ISL scandal - spoke in 2013 about the new allegations he faced related to his World Cup bid conduct: “A while ago the press in England were at it, now the German press do it. I don’t know. What is it that drives these people?”

Retiring from football that year he said: “I’m retiring with the tranquility and knowledge of having done a sincere, honest job … I’ve not stolen so much as a cent.”

Yessssssssssssss it's so good, soooo gooodddd

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

reminder that RICO prosecutors are capable of dismantling criminal organisations by rolling people that have every reason to believe they'll get murdered if they testify, most of FIFA is done

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
God bless the United States of America.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Teddybear posted:

Before the week's over the entire executive committee are gonna sing like loving canaries

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

The RICO Act focuses specifically on racketeering, and it allows the leaders of a syndicate to be tried for the crimes which they ordered others to do or assisted them, closing a perceived loophole that allowed someone who told a man to, for example, murder, to be exempt from the trial because he did not actually commit the crime personally.

Hahahaha FIFA is an organized crime syndicate and Blatter is the leader, all they need is the word that he gave the order or assistance to someone else committing crimes and he's done.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm liking this Law and Order new series

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
So a few corrupt types from countries where corruption is generally culturally accepted were arrested. What of it?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
*webb, warner li and figueredo come in with everything for a HUGE party*

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Greg Dyke posted:

As one of the associations who nominated [presidential election challenger] Prince Ali it will not surprise you to learn that if the election for president goes ahead The FA will be voting for him. However, there must be a question mark over whether the election should take place in these circumstances. Clearly things are changing very quickly and our delegation to the Fifa congress in Zurich, which I am leading, will discuss the position and what we should do about it with our colleagues in Uefa when we meet tomorrow morning.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I can't believe this is actually happening.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jyrka posted:

Brazil could probably too.
Haven't they turned at least one and possibly more of their WC stadiums into car parks?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

St Evan Echoes posted:

Haven't they turned at least one and possibly more of their WC stadiums into car parks?

One is a bus depot or something, yeah

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

One is a bus depot or something, yeah
lmao

Yeah it cost billions to organise but ~*the legacy*~

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

United Passions 2 is going to be a great movie.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

St Evan Echoes posted:

They only finished one of them last month.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

They only finished one of them last month.
Should have got some slaves in, smdh

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
FIFA's only hope at this point is to bankrupt the FBI with the overtime and man hours they'll need to identify all of the corruption and bribery.

There must be a couple of UEFA members making GBS threads it at the moment as well. I know England had 'friendlies' and 'development funds' go to Warner by way of Trindiad and Tobago, I don't doubt that it happened a lot elsewhere either. Look at the fine Rumminegge got for his forgotten watches, and how the tendrils of this are going to start reaching into the domestic club sphere as well.

Thank god yanks hate football.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Total Meatlove posted:

There must be a couple of UEFA members making GBS threads it at the moment as well. I know England had 'friendlies' and 'development funds' go to Warner by way of Trindiad and Tobago, I don't doubt that it happened a lot elsewhere either. Look at the fine Rumminegge got for his forgotten watches, and how the tendrils of this are going to start reaching into the domestic club sphere as well.

Thank god yanks hate football.

The head of Australia's FA said publicly that our World Cup bid team paid $500,000 for a "new stadium in Trinidad" directly into Warner's personal bank account lmao

They of course only mentioned it after he voted for Qatar anyway

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Fifa is corrupt from top to bottom. No nation is guilt free, they've all been complicit in it at some point.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

quote:

Fifa welcomes actions that can help contribute to rooting out any wrongdoing in football ... We are pleased to see that the investigation is being energetically pursued for the good of football and believe that it will help to reinforce measures that Fifa has already taken.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I wonder at what point will the yanks take a step back as they realise the entire game of football is a bottomless well of corruption. The rabbit hole goes all the way down to conference level football worldwide. Good luck locking everyone up. I do hope they indict Blatter though. That oval office deserves it more than anyone else.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

The Feds are just copying all the hard work FIFA has done to clean up corruption :smugbert:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
ICYMI the DoJ just got paid $11bio from a bunch of banks for fx rate rigging so they got cash to blow on a vanity project

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
It's just a pity that the English FA didn't have the balls to stop groveling to FIFA even after they were comprehensively screwed over with the World Cup bid

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
News Alert via BBC:
FIFA announces relocation of world headquarters from Zurich to Pyongyang.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Lol the Feds raided CONCACAF HQ in Miami this morning

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

mackintosh posted:

I wonder at what point will the yanks take a step back as they realise the entire game of football is a bottomless well of corruption. The rabbit hole goes all the way down to conference level football worldwide. Good luck locking everyone up. I do hope they indict Blatter though. That oval office deserves it more than anyone else.

They don't give a poo poo about how deep it goes, as long as US banks were used in the laundering operations.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
My initial read of the situation is that FIFA will cooperate, some mid- and few high-level officials's heads will roll, and then it'll be back to business as usual.

I'd love to be wrong, but corruption in soccer only gets so much traction in a DOJ/FBI with finite resources, and the cases will be closed way short of fans' expectations.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Monday Bandele posted:

It's just a pity that the English FA didn't have the balls to stop groveling to FIFA even after they were comprehensively screwed over with the World Cup bid

They kind of do look a bit feckless. I am happy that the FBI might get to RICO FIFA. This was a good thing to wake up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Shitshow posted:

My initial read of the situation is that FIFA will cooperate, some mid- and few high-level officials's heads will roll, and then it'll be back to business as usual.

I'd love to be wrong, but corruption in soccer only gets so much traction in a DOJ/FBI with finite resources, and the cases will be closed way short of fans' expectations.

Counterpoint, RICO charges are incredibly serious business, and let's not forget Bill Clinton was personally angry at the 2022 bid process. And any cooperation in a RICO case only makes more people go down.

Most that haven't been arrested this go round will probably flee to a country with no extradition treaty and never face repercussions - they aren't dumb enough to congregate in one hotel again I think.