Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

This is amazing to wake up to

Federation Internationale de Football America :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Total Meatlove posted:

Look at the fine Rumminegge got for his forgotten watches, and how the tendrils of this are going to start reaching into the domestic club sphere as well.

Oh how I wish Beckenbauer would get what he deserves. He thinks he can do whatever the gently caress he wants and get away with it. Sadly he seems to be right.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Imagine Chuck Blazer pissing his pants in the interrogation room and squealing like a pig at the mention of big boy jail

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Reminder that Sepp is a genius and a literal Bond villain and there's no way mere federal investigations will touch him

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Never been prouder posting on a real American forum :911:, unironically hope you yanks destroy FIFA. :getin:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Gonna have to send Joey Barton on his tail then.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Lmao Listkiewicz, who used to be the FA chief in Poland, says 'Blatter is beyond reproach' and 'his hands are tied, the corruption [of his underlings] is not his fault'

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Lol the Feds raided CONCACAF HQ in Miami this morning
This is like the climax to one of those true crime movies, only the climax has lasted for seven hours :getin:

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

gimpfarfar posted:

Yessss! This is glorious. May they all be forced to slave away building stadiums in deserts until they drop.

Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution posted:

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

:getin:

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

This is going to make for a good Scorcese film someday. https://vine.co/v/ebeg1x1H7A9

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

dex_sda posted:

Lmao Listkiewicz, who used to be the FA chief in Poland, says 'Blatter is beyond reproach' and 'his hands are tied, the corruption [of his underlings] is not his fault'

Well that do you expect from the guy who was literally thrown out by the FA because the corruption was so glaring and obvious they had no choice but to get rid of him. This was after the government threatened to step in, despite FIFA making threats.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

mackintosh posted:

Well that do you expect from the guy who was literally thrown out by the FA because the corruption was so glaring and obvious they had no choice but to get rid of him. This was after the government threatened to step in, despite FIFA making threats.

I expected more of a rat abandoning ship reaction. "Yeah he's dirty but we're not, haha!"

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvMPXwqTMto

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao. What wonderful news. Owns.

:boom:

kalven
Feb 17, 2006
This is nice and all but until they have Blatter I dont see this as anything but a PR stunt.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

These jerseys are probably stuck in warehouse where all foreign dignitary gifts are stuffed, including copies of The Witcher game, books, and probably some anime or something from Japan.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

quote:

It was later revealed by England’s bid chief that four ExCo members had solicited bribes from him for their votes; one asked for $2.5 million, while another, Nicolas Leoz of Paraguay, requested a knighthood.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/sports/soccer/fifa-officials-arrested-on-corruption-charges-blatter-isnt-among-them.html

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
BTW Li was one of the people arrested, the fact that he took his luggage with him doesn't change that he's named as an indicted person in the doj release.

And apparently the four that already pled guilty have agreed to forfeit over $150 million already.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

kalven posted:

This is nice and all but until they have Blatter I dont see this as anything but a PR stunt.
You go after people who are not the kingpin in order to take down the kingpin.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also lmao transparency international did a poll and found 83% of football fans don't think blatter should run again (plus 5% who don't know), 69% have no confidence in fifa (plus 14% who don't know), 2.2% think blatter should run fifa, and 2.2% think Qatar should host the world cup. For the record, top picks were Luis Figo at 59% and Australia at 39% (ahead of the usa at 38).

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Gonz posted:

As an American, I am a fairly casual fan of the sport of soccer. I know the rules of the sport, the names of several of it's best players and teams, have a respect for the athleticism of it, and occasionally see cool highlights of it on ESPN and Fox Sports. I'll watch the Gold Cup tournament when it's on TV, as well as the World Cup.

But what knowledge and enthusiasm I may be lacking for soccer, I make up for by being totally and fully aware of the eternal scumbag nature of FIFA and those who run it. Seeing this news last night was fantabulous, and I hope our Justice Department brings down every hammer they have at their disposal with regards to investigating and prosecuting this case. If ISIS and Don King joined FIFA, FIFA would probably become less corrupt. I hope they offer sweetheart plea bargains for every single person who is willing to turn on Blatter & Pals, and the 2018 and 2022 World Cups somehow get awarded to the US and Canada respectively (right after Landon Donovan is elected FIFA President, and Alexi Lalas it's Senior Vice-President).

Go after the banks that these assholes used to transfer the bribes. Go after the bribers and the bribees. Go after government officials who were in bed with FIFA from the start, doing all of this and then trying to destroy the paper trail(s). Start writing up warrants with RICO charges on them, then have judges sign those warrants until their pens start running out of ink. Then make a copy of the warrants and sign those for posterity. Perp walk every single person arrested on these charges in front of 10,000 HD media camera lenses.

Burn it down. Burn it all down. Then salt the earth where it once stood, and start from scratch.

That'll be 25 years in the cubes, Blatter.

this. a million times this.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

If Blatter was arrested during his commencement it would probably be the best birthday ever. Make it happen football gods.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lol if you think Blatter wasn't behind all of this.

Someone make a video of all the guys being arrested, intercut with big Sepp having a smile, while that song from the Godfather plays.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Troy Queef posted:

Essentially, yes, because of this law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Tort_Statute

(Also, in all likelihood some of the stuff Blazer furnished to the Feds took place in the US--remember, CONCACAF has headquarters/offices in both NYC and Miami--so they'd have original jurisdiction on two fronts.)

There's a press conference scheduled for Wednesday morning US time where they'll unseal the indictment and go into more detail

I'm like 8 pages behind, so sorry if anyone said this, but this is a civil statute, not a criminal one, and it is therefore positively not what the feds are using

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

St Evan Echoes posted:

Lol if you think Blatter wasn't behind all of this.

Someone make a video of all the guys being arrested, intercut with big Sepp having a smile, while that song from the Godfather plays.

Truly the villain we all deserve

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

vyelkin posted:

Australia at 39%

We could still be organised and ready to take 2022, but if 2018 is taken off of Putin really only Germany, the US and UK have what it takes to get poo poo done in time now.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
To recap, the Swiss are questioning:

Issa Hayatou (president of the Confederation of African Football)
Angel Maria Villar Llona (Spain)
Michel D’Hooghe (Belgium)
Senes Erzik (Turkey)
Worawi Makudi (Thailand)
Marios Lefkaritis (Cyprus)
Jacques Anouma (Ivory Coast)
Rafael Salguero (Guatemala)
Hany Abo Rida (Egypt)
Vitaly Mutko (Russia – head of the 2018 World Cup and sport’s minister).

all of whom are on the exec committee

They're probably going to question Sepp and Michal Platini too

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
A couple of small :laffo: details from the DOJ press release:

The prosecutors have the cooperation of two of Jack Warner's sons, both of which secretly pled guilty two years ago and have presumably been funneling information to the feds.

One of those arrested today, Eugenio Figueredo, could lose his US citizenship, as he is also accused of lying on his naturalization forms.

Some of the charges are related to corruption surrounding the awarding of the 2010 Cup to Brazil.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, will any ex-co members roll over?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dirk Pitt posted:

We probably have a decent shot at that. Those arrested will have dirt on some of them and they probably don't want to spend the rest of their lives in federal prisons.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dirk Pitt posted:

Lol they'll sing like canaries

They aren't gang members or whatever, and they certainly don't give a solitary gently caress about each other beyond stuffing each other's pockets with cash

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
They're probably gonna lean on Issa Hayatou real hard at least

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lol at the idea that a bunch of corrupt rich old men would do anything to protect each other instead of taking whatever deal keeps them personally out of the poo poo

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Lol at the idea that a bunch of corrupt rich old men would do anything to protect each other instead of taking whatever deal keeps them personally out of the poo poo

Basically this. If their option is spending the next 15 years in a federal prison or testifying against those higher up in the organisation what do you think a 60+ year old white dude will do?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

dex_sda posted:

Counterpoint, RICO charges are incredibly serious business, and let's not forget Bill Clinton was personally angry at the 2022 bid process. And any cooperation in a RICO case only makes more people go down.

Nobody really cares; this will barely register a blip on most people's radars. They're funding soccer tournaments, not terrorist cells. DOJ/FBI will go after the low-hanging fruit initially, but they're on a clock: once something else actionable happens that grips the public's or administration's attention, most of these resources and personnel will be re-tasked.

Blatter can sacrifice these members with no sweat; he'll probably get re-elected on Friday. If things get uncomfortable for him personally, FIFA will just throw a million lawyers and motions at DOJ and run out the clock.

Again, I'd love to be wrong, but that's how the bureaucracy works.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

Considering blazer was an exco member and rolled asap when confronted, I'm betting on yes.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
Swiss police are probably getting in on it because you can pay a fine there instead of jail time.
Anyone in the hands of the FBI are probably hosed though

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Lol 300+ new posts, is Blatter holed up with hostages yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
This is good news