Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Anidav posted:

The only downside is that the console is loving huge and has Yellow Light problems?

Launch PS3s also have issues with improperly installed heatsinks, which is why its so hard to find a working one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Anidav posted:

The only downside is that the console is loving huge and has Yellow Light problems?

If you don't keep it properly free from dust it's almost guaranteed to gently caress up after a few years. I've had one friend who had the problem and another where the system is going strong. Sadly once it happens you can only reflow it to work for a bit longer until it fucks up again.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So you're better off getting a PS1 and PS2 separately?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Anidav posted:

Just a PS2.

E: With a net adapter and a ide hard drive, don't even need a freemcboot memory card anymore.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 27, 2015

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Anidav posted:

A PS3 and a PS2, yeah. I have a superslim and a slim respectively, and they take up relatively little room and are both very quiet to boot.

EDIT: Unless you only want PS2/PSX games. Sorry. :(

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Is a super slim ps3 going to poo poo the bed eventually if you don't crack it open and clean it out from time to time like the fat ps3?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Mogomra posted:

Is a super slim ps3 going to poo poo the bed eventually if you don't crack it open and clean it out from time to time like the fat ps3?

The power supply is outside the unit, so you don't need to worry really.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I like the design of the PSOne. It's a really good, small design.

I heard the PSVita is good for PS1 games too but handhelds; meh.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

DisposableHero posted:

Speaking of PS1 I feel like there was a ton of hidden treasure on that system. It's the system I had the largest library for while it was current. These days though I'm not sure what to look for. I like to pick up random oddities when in a place that carries PS1 games but I've not found anything that surprised me in a long time. Anyone have some PS1 favorites that I might have missed?

For me Omega Boost is pretty up there in terms of surprising favorites. Maybe it's more well known than I realized but I bought it at random from a rental place selling their whole library and really loved it.

Dragon Valor, an action RPG by Namco. Its main gimmick is its story being told through multiple generations of a family of dragon slayers but with the occasional branching path option. It's pretty simple overall, but really fun. Threads of Fate is kinda similar gameplay-wise but with a better story and somewhat more nuanced combat.

Also, Omega Boost is rad.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Kazvall posted:

If you don't keep it properly free from dust it's almost guaranteed to gently caress up after a few years. I've had one friend who had the problem and another where the system is going strong. Sadly once it happens you can only reflow it to work for a bit longer until it fucks up again.

Yet I got a 20GB from a pawn shop that my nephew now uses with 0 issues to this day and way too much use :shepface:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Anidav posted:

The only reason to get a PS1 is because you're importing a Japanese one for ten dollars. Or if you buy one for a dollar so you don't care if you burn out the motor with Swap Magic.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Except that the original PS1 looks better than any PS2 or the PSOne.

So I ordered a GBA flash cart based on someone's recommendation. Tracking said it was sitting in Chicago since April 30th. It arrived today. Or it should have, this packaging arrived with nothing in it. Hey, at least it was in a clear baggie telling me how sorry they are that my item may be damaged (aka lost/stolen). I guess ill bring this in to the USPS office but I would imagine they will give no fucks?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Looks like someone pocketed your swag dude.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Tell me it went through Opa Locka, Florida?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I remember buying Kirby and the Amazing Mirror off ebay, Australia Post was like whoops your parcel was damaged and there's nothing inside now.

Went to the post office to complain, they found the guy on CCTV who did it and asked him what the gently caress was going on and he reported he took it and sold it on ebay.

The Post Office then asked me to print out my ebay invoice and they refunded my ebay price back and fired the guy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I wouldn't normally say anything since I like to be a little bit sneaky with gift exchanges, but since I'm your Santa and your package was supposed to be delivered today, I just saw your pics and nearly had a heart attack.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
So seeing that Krikzz's stuff was back in stock I got a hold of my buddy. This led to that, now I'm ordering a Turbo Everdrive for him and a Super Everdrive for me. I was wanting to wait until black friday to see if they are on sale again but playing with the ED64 so much lately has had me thinking about it way too much. I'm still hoping he makes a GBA version one day. I'm SO CLOSE to buying someone's ez flash iv it's not even funny.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

In the manual for Elemental Gearbolt, Working Designs reviews all of the light guns available for the Playstation.

Those guys were crazy...

Hah, that's great.

The craziest thing I remember seeing in a manual was a coupon for some French fry-esque snack food in Mega Man Zero 2's. I forget the brand name.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I know there's that new clone coming out that partially does this but where the gently caress are the PC-Engine CD/Hu-Card clone systems?

I mean Retron this and that NES SNES Genesis Game boy blah blah blah.

Give me Hucard, Sega Card, Sega CD and PCE-CD. It shouldn't be too hard to pack a CD-Rom drive onto these things and unpack CD's into an emulator; right?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tyson Tomko posted:

So seeing that Krikzz's stuff was back in stock I got a hold of my buddy. This led to that, now I'm ordering a Turbo Everdrive for him and a Super Everdrive for me. I was wanting to wait until black friday to see if they are on sale again but playing with the ED64 so much lately has had me thinking about it way too much. I'm still hoping he makes a GBA version one day. I'm SO CLOSE to buying someone's ez flash iv it's not even funny.

Krikzz has been developing, or looking into it rather...

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/515682206577348608

I'm no FPGA pro, so I have no idea if it'll even have the space. The EDGB is packed.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Discount Viscount posted:

Hah, that's great.

The craziest thing I remember seeing in a manual was a coupon for some French fry-esque snack food in Mega Man Zero 2's. I forget the brand name.

Semi-related, weirdest pack-in with a game I ever got was a strawberry flavored fruit roll-up inside Landstalker back in the mid 90s.

And yes...I ate it. I'm still alive 20 years later, but it also probably explains a lot of things....... :v:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Random Stranger posted:

I wouldn't normally say anything since I like to be a little bit sneaky with gift exchanges, but since I'm your Santa and your package was supposed to be delivered today, I just saw your pics and nearly had a heart attack.
Indeed, that arrived as well and the package appears to be populated! I will open it once I get my gift sent out- using this as partial motivation.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Anidav posted:

Looks like someone pocketed your swag dude.

No, the mailing envelope tore open and the tiny little flash cart fell out. There's no way to match the detritus on the floor with what package it may have fallen out of. No one loving stole it, there was no malice involved. Honestly it's the shipper's fault for sending it out in a padded envelope instead of spending a buck or two more and sending it out in a box.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

re: PS1 discussion: All we had growing up was Final Fantasy VII, Crash Bandicoot and some sports games. I forgot for years that I even had a PS1, the original thing didn't work anymore but since I found a PSOne model from a flea market I might play my games again. I think my "collection" consists of FF VII, IX, Crash 1&2 and Tekken 3 at the moment. So, give me some non-obvious titles to try and pick up? (PAL exclusive since I don't have a modded system).

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Krikzz has been developing, or looking into it rather...

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/515682206577348608

I'm no FPGA pro, so I have no idea if it'll even have the space. The EDGB is packed.

Don't know how I missed that, but that's awesome news!! I know it's been September but I'll still keep my hopes way up. I'd be ok with it even if it came in a big contraption like his prototype is in that picture.

Azazell0 posted:

re: PS1 discussion: All we had growing up was Final Fantasy VII, Crash Bandicoot and some sports games. I forgot for years that I even had a PS1, the original thing didn't work anymore but since I found a PSOne model from a flea market I might play my games again. I think my "collection" consists of FF VII, IX, Crash 1&2 and Tekken 3 at the moment. So, give me some non-obvious titles to try and pick up? (PAL exclusive since I don't have a modded system).

One of the first Playstation games I ever played was Twisted Metal, and it owned. I'd highly recommend it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

I'm going to go a bit sidewise to "non-obvious". I can't promise that all of these are available in PAL land but hopefully a few of the bigger suggestions hit the mark:

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Even if you don't care for Street Fighter, give this version a try. It's Street Fighter for people who don't like Street Fighter. Huge cast, absurd number of moves, and more options than you believe. This is the fighting game to pop in when you just want to mess around with your friends.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater - So you hate skateboarding and even the idea of x-treme sports. Well, that doesn't matter because Tony Hawk is a fun game. I prefer later entries in the series, but this is the only one worth getting on the PS1 (the sequel is on the Xbox and Dreamcast and after that you can pick your system based on what controller you like best). I think the games are less about skateboarding and more about exploring an environment where your tools are sick tricks.

Bushido Blade - Okay, so you really don't like fighting games. Well, you should still try Bushido Blade. This is a one-on-one fighting game in the mold of Kurosawa. Remember that scene toward the beginning of Seven Samurai where the two guys stare each other down for a few seconds, then there's a blur of motion, and one of them falls over dead? That's what this fighting game is like. Hitting a vital spot wins the match instantly and you can weaken your opponent by injuring their legs. Also, you can have dramatic show downs on a beach as the sun rises. The sequel is good, but considerably goofier.

In the Hunt - I recommend this every time someone asks for PS1 stuff and that's because it's a great horizontal shooter that doesn't get enough love. It's by the same people who made Metal Slug so you know it has to be good.

Torneko the Last Hope - The best roguelike on the PS1. It's part of the mystery dungeon series. Fair warning, this one is only for cool people who know what a roguelike is.

Power Shovel - Port of a gimmick arcade game that's really good. Sure, you could just dig holes, but you can also search mine fields, smash houses, go shopping, serve curry, and fight a volcano. I didn't know that heavy construction equipment was so versatile. I think this is called something like "Power Diggerz" in Europe...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 27, 2015

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Anidav posted:

I know there's that new clone coming out that partially does this but where the gently caress are the PC-Engine CD/Hu-Card clone systems?

I mean Retron this and that NES SNES Genesis Game boy blah blah blah.

Give me Hucard, Sega Card, Sega CD and PCE-CD. It shouldn't be too hard to pack a CD-Rom drive onto these things and unpack CD's into an emulator; right?

HuCard might be possible, although it's probably not a common and readily available interface format the way that NES/SNES/Genesis cartridge slots are. Sega cards (I'm assuming for the Master System) have the same interface cost, and also involve having to implement the Master System hardware into a clone system. This isn't so difficult on an actual Genesis, where you can use the Z80 coprocessor and fudge other things around with the Genesis AV hardware the way the Power Base converter does things; but it's not something that most clone manufacturers are capable of implementing, I think.

The Sega CD contains extra hardware (more RAM, and a faster Motorola 68000 CPU) that would need to be implemented. It also has a necessary BIOS that would be legally perilous to resell, and fat chance that some discount clone manufacturer is going to reverse engineer it to be "clean". The PC Engine CD-ROM is more bog standard as far as its internals go, I think, but it also runs into the same software legality issues; just about every CD game requires a "CD system card" to run. So, same thing as the Sega CD - someone would need to do a single clean clone that covers the version spectrum of the system cards to be in the clear, and that's not terribly likely to be done well or at all.

So, overall, it's not necessarily a simple proposal to do, I think.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Off the top of my head.

Metal Gear Solid,
Alundra,
Need for Speed,
Wild Arms,
Chrono Cross,
Legend of Legaia,
Armored Core,
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain,
Kingsfield,
Cool Boarders,
Forsaken,
Gundam: Battle Assault,
Jade Cocoon,
Monster Rancher 2,
Legend of Mana,
MediEvil,
Megaman X(3-4-5-6/Legends, etc._)
Oddworld: Abe's 1 and 2,
Omega Boost,
Resident Evil 1/2/3,
Silent Hill,
Spyro,
Syphon Filter,

Don't forget there are countless RPGs and Gungames and I'll be damned if the PS1 doesn't have a sexy library of poo poo to choose from. Glad I got one as a kid instead of a n64.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Chrono Cross and Legend of Mana weren't released in PAL territories, though, so Azazell0 should probably watch out for that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Discount Viscount posted:

The Klonoa remake on Wii came with a coupon for a free fish taco from a restaurant I've never heard of named Wahoo's, almost entirely just because Klonoa says "Wahoo!" all the time.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Kthulhu5000 posted:

HuCard might be possible, although it's probably not a common and readily available interface format the way that NES/SNES/Genesis cartridge slots are. Sega cards (I'm assuming for the Master System) have the same interface cost, and also involve having to implement the Master System hardware into a clone system. This isn't so difficult on an actual Genesis, where you can use the Z80 coprocessor and fudge other things around with the Genesis AV hardware the way the Power Base converter does things; but it's not something that most clone manufacturers are capable of implementing, I think.

The Sega CD contains extra hardware (more RAM, and a faster Motorola 68000 CPU) that would need to be implemented. It also has a necessary BIOS that would be legally perilous to resell, and fat chance that some discount clone manufacturer is going to reverse engineer it to be "clean". The PC Engine CD-ROM is more bog standard as far as its internals go, I think, but it also runs into the same software legality issues; just about every CD game requires a "CD system card" to run. So, same thing as the Sega CD - someone would need to do a single clean clone that covers the version spectrum of the system cards to be in the clear, and that's not terribly likely to be done well or at all.

So, overall, it's not necessarily a simple proposal to do, I think.

It's a matter of if the companies care. For example heaps of consolized Neo Geos use a variety of official and unofficial bios. No C&Ds from SNK. You can even switch to Neo Geo CD Bios.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm surprised that no one has made an alternate SCD Bios or full emulation or whatever. Both the Saturn and PSX have emulated bioses already.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm surprised that no one has made an alternate SCD Bios or full emulation or whatever. Both the Saturn and PSX have emulated bioses already.

Because it's so easy to get a hold of, no one has bothered.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Anidav posted:

It's a matter of if the companies care. For example heaps of consolized Neo Geos use a variety of official and unofficial bios. No C&Ds from SNK. You can even switch to Neo Geo CD Bios.

The difference here (without getting into a big Internet fistfight about it) would be that you're probably using actual hardware and ROMs manufactured by SNK in a consolized system. The unofficial BIOS (such as the Universe / UniBIOS) appears to be a patch on the original SNK BIOS; although potentially more shaky on a legal basis, one could at least argue it is a derivative extension or work from the original code.

SNK has no reason to care about people consolizing old MVS boards; you break it, it's your problem (does SNK even do work on MVS stuff these days?). Even the UniBIOS isn't necessarily a big deal; you install it, something breaks, sucks to be you. But if someone is manufacturing new hardware, it'd probably be a different story - especially if it's someone mass market like Hyperkin, because then you have the potential possibility that someone is making big money by using SNK code without the proper licensing arrangement for it.

Would Sega and NEC really give that much of a poo poo? Depends on their plans for their Sega CD and PC Engine CD stuff. But the last thing a legitimate clone maker wants is to be in the sights of either company's legal department and give them an easy slam dunk, and the effort and resources involved in reverse engineering are too great for the perceived return.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Phantasium posted:

The Klonoa remake on Wii came with a coupon for a free fish taco from a restaurant I've never heard of named Wahoo's, almost entirely just because Klonoa says "Wahoo!" all the time.

Hahaha, I totally just popped open my copy to confirm this, as I didn't recall it, and there it loving was right on top of the manual. That's great.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm going to catch poo poo for this, but I enjoyed Doom on the PS1 more than I did on the PC. I also liked the soundtrack, it was a decent alternative to the really good PC one. We even did systemlink once and did 1v1 deathmatch.

All the unique PS1 experience games are probably going to go super high soon. Jumping Flash, Bushido Blade, etc...

I wish I could get the original demo disc again with the dinosaur real cheap. It was so awesome bringing my playstation and popping that in to show how awesome that console was. Then someone stole my games one day and it was lost forever :smith:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The only PS1 game that matters is No One Can Stop Mr. Domino.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I just wish PSX Doom had taken advantage of the system's power over the Jaguar to actually make the Doom 1 maps more like the PC again, instead of the stripped down layouts iD had made to get it to run acceptably on the Jaguar's weird architecture. The Doom 2 section of PSX Doom shows that the system could handle a lot more.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I enjoyed Quake 2 a lot more on the PS1. Once I got over aiming up and down with the triggers and went on to own my friends with a multitap. Honestly, though, I'd only play it when my mom was taking up the 56k. Later on we got a second phone line and it was all about lanning from then on.

E: My point is it's a shame PSX Doom wasn't better because they fit Q2 onto the system pretty well imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The trick with the console conversions of Doom is that everyone but the SNES porter were lazy and just ported the Jaguar version that id made, rather than doing any custom work of their own.

• Locked thread