Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol so this went down like In Goodfellas.

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

Lol 300+ new posts, is Blatter holed up with hostages yet

A New York Times reporter just told CBS that it's possible Sepp ends up arrested considering everything that's happening now.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Praise be.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

TheBigAristotle posted:

Lol 300+ new posts, is Blatter holed up with hostages yet

If this means we get to watch Einsatzgruppe TIGRIS raid Blatter's office I'm all for it.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

excuse me lady posted:

Update - Swiss Federal Office of Justice opens criminal proceedings over the allocation of the 2018 and 2022 football world cups
Oh gently caress yeah, today owns hard.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Shitshow posted:

Again, I'd love to be wrong, but that's how the bureaucracy works.

You're doing that 'oh no were bound to lose against Havant and Waterlooville' faux negativity thing that United and Liverpool fans used too and it's really boring.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Dirk Pitt posted:

Honestly, will any ex-co members roll over?

Everyone who the feds want to roll over will roll over. It's how this works.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Seems to me that gently caress all will change. Blatter will never be forced in to the USofA and what jurisdiction do they have anyway?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I almost feel bad for Blatter. Qatar 2022 wasn't his idea. If he had his way it would have been awarded to the US. Platini set him up to be the fall guy, and will likely get to take over FIFA when Blatter kicks the bucket.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Seems to me that gently caress all will change. Blatter will never be forced in to the USofA and what jurisdiction do they have anyway?
If he used an American bank account for any of his bribes.

But again, Sepp Blatter is amazing and a genius and he won't be caught up in this at all.

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.
I wonder how many people at the top have to be arrested for anything to change

I mean FIFA is so hillariously corrupt top to bottom its like a full on cartoon criminal organization ala COBRA as it is, I picture you can't even work there without a wiry mustache and a snickering laugh

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

I almost feel bad for Blatter. Qatar 2022 wasn't his idea. If he had his way it would have been awarded to the US. Platini set him up to be the fall guy, and will likely get to take over FIFA when Blatter kicks the bucket.
Blatter got everyone else to vote for Qatar, then sneakily voted for someone else himself, so he wouldn't look like a corrupt piece of poo poo. He is a literal genius.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

With CONCACAF being hosed and Issa Hayatou being investigated he could lose a massive amount of votes he gets in the FIFA elections giving prince Ali an actual chance at winning. That might not change anything though

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Crazy Ted posted:

A New York Times reporter just told CBS that it's possible Sepp ends up arrested considering everything that's happening now.

i hope we can get teflon sepp

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

St Evan Echoes posted:

If he used an American bank account for any of his bribes.

But again, Sepp Blatter is amazing and a genius and he won't be caught up in this at all.

Yeah the USofA isn't going to catch Blatter at anything, and I very much doubt the Swiss will.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazy Ted posted:

This is beautiful.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Jose posted:

With CONCACAF being hosed and Issa Hayatou being investigated he could lose a massive amount of votes he gets in the FIFA elections giving prince Ali an actual chance at winning. That might not change anything though

No, nothing will change, and even if Blatter somehow loses the election (he will not) Ali will be no better.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

Well at least we know what the first wish was.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

that reporter is talking out of his arse, he knows as much as everyone else, which is nothing.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The USofA have extradition treaties all over the place. He will have to tread very carefully. Especially if there won't be any doubt as to the validity of charges. Besides, if he's indicted, the rest of FIFA will throw him under the bus, just like he's been doing up till now. After all, they have a business to run and this is an unwelcome distraction.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Shitshow posted:

Nobody really cares; this will barely register a blip on most people's radars. They're funding soccer tournaments, not terrorist cells. DOJ/FBI will go after the low-hanging fruit initially, but they're on a clock: once something else actionable happens that grips the public's or administration's attention, most of these resources and personnel will be re-tasked.

Blatter can sacrifice these members with no sweat; he'll probably get re-elected on Friday. If things get uncomfortable for him personally, FIFA will just throw a million lawyers and motions at DOJ and run out the clock.

Again, I'd love to be wrong, but that's how the bureaucracy works.

The guys who are right now set to go to prison care, and you're silly if you think they won't sacrifice people higher in the food chain for their own liberty (which is the only way plea bargains go). Geopolitically, this is a huge deal: America the savior of a sport so big, in many countries it's more important than a religion. And RICO charges aren't susceptible to an army of lawyers. Why do you think 4 people already pled guilty?

I'm not saying we'll definitely get Blatter curbstomped tomorrow, but this is a really good week for football and we should hope more comes out of this.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

mackintosh posted:

The USofA have extradition treaties all over the place. He will have to tread very carefully. Especially if there won't be any doubt as to the validity of charges. Besides, if he's indicted, the rest of FIFA will throw him under the bus, just like he's been doing up till now. After all, they have a business to run and this is an unwelcome distraction.

I'm pretty sure he has to have broken a law in America for America to be granted an extradition, and there is no way at all he's done that, or left evidence of such.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'm pretty sure he has to have broken a law in America for America to be granted an extradition, and there is no way at all he's done that, or left evidence of such.

As long as he's touched anything American (bank accounts or whatever) America can request an extradition. It's a matter of finding that.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

As long as he's touched anything American (bank accounts or whatever) America can request an extradition. It's a matter of finding that.

Yeah, and I mean this sincerely, good loving luck with that.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

stickyfngrdboy posted:

This is why I'm curious if RICO has the power to grant extradtion powers. A naive reading of the law suggests that if a person who committed crimes in US jurisdiction implicates another in participating or ordering those crimes, the implicated person is considered to be charged with that same act, which could grant jurisdictional powers? Idk, I'm not a lawyer.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

stickyfngrdboy posted:

We'll see soon enough. I'm sure they'll find a branch to hang him on if there's a need for it. It all comes down to what they're after. They can get that kind of evidence by way of plea agreements with the people they already have in custody. Convicting Blatter is one thing, but getting him arrested is completely another.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah, and I mean this sincerely, good loving luck with that.

They'll need someone to flip on him and say that he participated in a bribe that was wired through a US bank account. That's where this is all going.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
This really is a win-win situation for us football lovers. Not only do we finally get FIFA's corruption seriously investigated, but the country that's doing it is the US so the only team to suffer any consequences for this, like possibly becoming ineligible for international competitions, will be the USMNT. I can't be the only one ecstatic at the possibility that we won't get another repeat of last year's World Cup, in which the USMNT were eliminated with a crap record of 1 win, 1 draw and 2 losses and were accused of being one of the teams that simulated, dived and faked injuries the most, in an ultimately futile attempt to progress in the competition. The fact that the country involved in this whole situation isn't one with a great and entertaining football team that could be put in jeopardy like Germany, Chile or Portugal is a victory for all of us.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Reminder that if you haven't watched it, the E:60 report is pretty damning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP1mZDdAtdE
Somehow I missed this. Thanks for posting.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Reminder that Blatter has a really great track record for dirt appearing on anyone who challenges him. Expect to see a video surfacing soon of Jeffrey Webb doing blow off a hooker's asscrack

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

blue footed boobie posted:

They'll need someone to flip on him and say that he participated in a bribe that was wired through a US bank account. That's where this is all going.

Is one person's (or a group of peoples') word enough? Do they not need actual evidence as well as the word of people who have something to gain by (possibly) lying about stuff like that[e: to get an extradition order, I mean]? I mean, I know you can be convicted in America on the word of convicted criminals alone but that's usually black guys with no money, not white guys with loads.

I hope the American system can somehow rid FIFA and football in general of the greedy cunts who run the game, but forgive me if I'm skeptical.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

So this tweet earlier today and it makes a lot of sense imo

quote:

Philippe Auclair ‏@PhilippeAuclair
The problem is not that 'Blatter controls everything'; it's rather that he can't, and doesn't. Result: a free-for-all, a kleptocracy.

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
Turns out #1 on the blacklist is Sepp Blatter. Well played Reddington.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Is one person's (or a group of peoples') word enough? Do they not need actual evidence as well as the word of people who have something to gain by (possibly) lying about stuff like that[e: to get an extradition order, I mean]?

I'm not sure of the actual standard for what you need to get an extradition order. I'd assume it's something along the lines of "there's a good chance that this happened." What they'll do is corroborate the witness' testimony with other, independent records, like "Blatter called me on X day at Y time to discuss the bribe" they they'll get phone records showing that there was in fact a conversation at the time, and they'll keep substantiating various parts of the witness' story until there's a coherent narrative that is tough to poke holes in.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Mean Bean Machine posted:

This really is a win-win situation for us football lovers. Not only do we finally get FIFA's corruption seriously investigated, but the country that's doing it is the US so the only team to suffer any consequences for this, like possibly becoming ineligible for international competitions, will be the USMNT. I can't be the only one ecstatic at the possibility that we won't get another repeat of last year's World Cup, in which the USMNT were eliminated with a crap record of 1 win, 1 draw and 2 losses and were accused of being one of the teams that simulated, dived and faked injuries the most, in an ultimately futile attempt to progress in the competition. The fact that the country involved in this whole situation isn't one with a great and entertaining football team that could be put in jeopardy like Germany, Chile or Portugal is a victory for all of us.

agreed op

Nyfrin
Jul 8, 2006

Something to keep in mind about this is that the if the DoJ is going after these guys with RICO charges, they have the right to get a pre-trial injunction that basically claims every asset and every penny the person owns to hold it for possible restitution if found guilty. They are literally walking into a room with these people, dropping a pile of rock-solid evidence against them on one side, and an itemized list of their assets on the other, and saying that if they don't roll over and cooperate, they will seize everything the person has and put them in federal prison for basically the rest of their lives.

For someone accustomed to a life of bribes and 5-star hotels, the prospect of having it stripped away and extradited to a country where their title and influence means jack poo poo is a pretty compelling reason to rat out your buddies.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Nyfrin posted:

Something to keep in mind about this is that the if the DoJ is going after these guys with RICO charges, they have the right to get a pre-trial injunction that basically claims every asset and every penny the person owns to hold it for possible restitution if found guilty. They are literally walking into a room with these people, dropping a pile of rock-solid evidence against them on one side, and an itemized list of their assets on the other, and saying that if they don't roll over and cooperate, they will seize everything the person has and put them in federal prison for basically the rest of their lives.

For someone accustomed to a live of bribes and 5-star hotels, the prospect of having it stripped away and extradited to a country where their title and influence means jack poo poo is a pretty compelling reason to rat out your buddies.

Or lie. It's a very good way to make people lie.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Someone explain to this dumb American how the voting process works for the President of International Federal Soccerballs.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Wouldn't surprise me if the US Government cares more about loving over Russia then Quatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Or lie. It's a very good way to make people lie.

That being the case you know that the feds are going to get Blatter eventually once all the ExCo members squeal. Those that lie to get out of it won't be returning to FIFA and those that come into power next will be wary of what's going on right now when the prospect of a bribe appears. The effects of this investigation are going to be felt for years.