Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

cram me sideways posted:

I suppose it's the same mechanic in spirit, but Arkham's is more player friendly than what Witcher 3 does.

Anyways, I'm clearly in the minority in thinking it's bad, so I'll stop.

Video -> HUD Options has a setting to put clues on the minimap if you want to get through those parts faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Woozy posted:

Video -> HUD Options has a setting to put clues on the minimap if you want to get through those parts faster.

!?

thankyouthankyouthankyou

edit: Oh man, you just saved this game for me. I was really going to move on to something else. Thank you so much for telling me this.

cram me sideways fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 27, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sekenr posted:

Well I done hosed up now. Shaved my face and now the beard isn't growing. Help? Didn't change and hair or beard styles.

I also thought this but it turned out it just took 3-4 days to grow back to a trim beard. Few more days and it turned into a shaggy beard again. Just give it time.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

cram me sideways posted:

or just put it on the minimap.

There is an option to turn on witcher sense on the mini map, but I couldn't tell you how far it takes things.

Edit: Beaten.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014

Sekenr posted:

When you uncurse soldier figurine, the soldier at some point says scheiss which was subtitled as poo poo, so we can just settle on Nilfgaard = sort of Germany.

I'll take this compromise.
Dutch and German are somewhat connected languages. They both sound like a death rattle to the untrained ear.
Some last names are definitely Dutch.

haris pilton fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 27, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, the Skelligers seem to mix a bunch of Scandinavian and Irish names at least. I even ran into some dude with my name there.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If you get the "loose and short" haircut and let his beard grow in fully, Geralt starts to look like a drug-addicted albino Kenny Rogers, and that's something I can get behind. As a bonus that hairstyle doesn't have a dumb ponytail and clips through a lot fewer armor sets.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Eagerly awaiting the enhanced edition that fixes magical disappearing formulae and stacking quest items and bugfuck circlewalking AI. It's only so irritating (the last one) because the best fights in the game feel like the tensest Dark Souls moments, and the worst fights in the game are demigods chasing their tails or humping stalagmites in the corner or just standing stupidly in place while I cook them from five feet away with igni.

Unrelated: Late-game decoction synergy: Ekhidna (spending stamina restores vitality) and Archgriffin (strong attacks spend all available stamina and deal a flat 10% max health damage after normal damage to whatever you're hitting) are two great tastes that taste great together. I've got just barely enough tox to throw Griffin (getting hit increases defense for the rest of the fight) on the stack as well, which removes any possible potion utility but is sometimes worth it. Permits facetanking of skull-level baddies on Hard difficulty without Quen.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Badly Jester posted:

Someone's already made gwent for Tabletop Simulator. Biggest issue, of course is deckbuilding. It's obviously lacking balance.

I'm imagining a deck of:

10x Decoy
5x Healer
10x Spy
7x Anything else

First game:
1. Play non-spy, non-healer.
2. Decoy it.
3. Play it again.
4. Decoy it

Repeat until out of decoys. assuming I get a lucky draw of 5 decoys in opening hand, 10 turns in I have 4 cards left in my hand without playing any spies. If they don't have any stall/card draw, they'd be decked and I'd win with nilfgaard 2nd and 3rd games.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Fat Samurai posted:

Got stuck inside an empty sunken ship while looking for treasure. Not happy about that.

Haha, I know exactly what you're talking about. drat that beam across the stairs. Geralt, the Butcher of Blaviken, Master of evil staircases, slayer of monsters and renown all-nighter in Novigrads whorehouses - finds his cold and watery grave in a sunken ship, barely 30 yards from the shore.

Glad I made it a habit to quicksand before each and every diving adventure. Diving controls are the worst. Although I found that using the camera to fine tune the direction helps immensely.

Different topic:
Anyone NOT running with the 10% chance of dismemberment trophy? 50 XP per level don't compare to flying heads and bisected torso.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

mcbexx posted:

Haha, I know exactly what you're talking about. drat that beam across the stairs. Geralt, the Butcher of Blaviken, Master of evil staircases, slayer of monsters and renown all-nighter in Novigrads whorehouses - finds his cold and watery grave in a sunken ship, barely 30 yards from the shore.

Holy poo poo, I thought I was the only one spending 10 minutes trying to jump out of there.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

mcbexx posted:

I too know of this ship...

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
I knew something was wrong when I dived in there looking for treasure and noclipped through the cages.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I appear to have lost access to my horse in Act 3, can't whistle anymore :raise:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Murodese posted:

I appear to have lost access to my horse in Act 3, can't whistle anymore :raise:

Save and reload

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Broken Cog posted:

Save and reload

That worked, cheers.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Every time I see someone complain about the combat difficulty I want to tell them not to be a dumb peasant.

Witchers carry bombs, poisons, potions, and use magic for a reason. Like one of Geralt's favorite things to say is don't fight fair. Stop being a dumb peasant only swinging a sword around.

[/rant]

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus

cram me sideways posted:

Jesus, I'm barely like five quests in and I am sick to tears of the loving "use your witcher senses to find thing" quests.

I'd rather have to actually find a thing than have it placed right in front of my face, or worse, have to fetch "x quantity of y thing" over and over. The game gets into the action a lot more after the beginning bits, but if something as small as "having to look for the objective" annoys you, I don't know how you're going to get through this 200+ hour RPG, or any other for that matter.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I've got a pretty loving Good PC but I also like to play on my PS4. What's the shakedown on ps4 vs PC now that this has been out a bit?

Also is it loving amazing?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you have a great PC you should definitely get it on PC because it will look nicer and you can probably snag it for $35-30.

I have it on PS4 because I don't have a good PC and I'm enjoying it all the same.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Solartide posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought I was the only one spending 10 minutes trying to jump out of there.

Ha, happened to me too, only last night. I thought it was an Aard puzzle or something for a good few minutes.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Harlock posted:

If you have a great PC you should definitely get it on PC because it will look nicer and you can probably snag it for $35-30.

I have it on PS4 because I don't have a good PC and I'm enjoying it all the same.

I'm not that big of a graphics enthusiast or whatever but are the ps4 versions and PC functionally the same outside of graphics?

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014

Bob NewSCART posted:

I've got a pretty loving Good PC but I also like to play on my PS4. What's the shakedown on ps4 vs PC now that this has been out a bit?

If you like mods and extra eye candy get it on pc.
If you're like me and want to kick back on the couch and chill get it on the ps4.
Plus I hate kb/m, reminds me of an office environment.

And yes, it's loving amazing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

I'm not that big of a graphics enthusiast or whatever but are the ps4 versions and PC functionally the same outside of graphics?

PS4 has FPS drops and can't run at 60 FPS.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Bob NewSCART posted:

You can't turn the motion blur off on PS4, as far as I can tell. Gave me a hella migraine so I switched to PC. It looks really good on PC and doesn't make my head hurt.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I had to reload after I got stuck in a waist-high, four foot by one foot pool of water, the edges of which were steep enough to prohibit jumping or climbing out. Roach watched mournfully as I struggled in vain to escape my watery grave.

GOTY

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wasn't some free DLC released today? A quest and an alternate appearance for Yen? How is it?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Drythe posted:

Every time I see someone complain about the combat difficulty I want to tell them not to be a dumb peasant.

Witchers carry bombs, poisons, potions, and use magic for a reason. Like one of Geralt's favorite things to say is don't fight fair. Stop being a dumb peasant only swinging a sword around.

[/rant]

Geralt's iffy controls and unreliable hitboxes can hurt folk a lot, as well as his annoying tendency to sheath whatever sword he's using during combat. That and enemies have a frustrating ability to suddenly stop reacting to your hits or do a lot of counter-attack damage despite there being no visual indicator of such - I've had several deaths now because even when the enemy is reeling from the first attack my second results in me taking a poo poo load of damage. :psyduck:

I gave up on Death March eventually because of this. Well that and the enemies just seemed to have much higher HP and damage resistance further in, rather than simply doing more.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I had to reload after I got stuck in a waist-high, four foot by one foot pool of water, the edges of which were steep enough to prohibit jumping or climbing out. Roach watched mournfully as I struggled in vain to escape my watery grave.

GOTY

I've had a bunch of fights force a reload, or require an extra round trip, because Geralt refuses to climb or jump during combat. Small rocks and fences are a Witcher's true bane.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Drythe posted:

[/rant]

At least they improved the alchemy/potion system over TW2. TW2's system was loving horrible.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

poptart_fairy posted:

Geralt's iffy controls and unreliable hitboxes can hurt folk a lot, as well as his annoying tendency to sheath whatever sword he's using during combat. That and enemies have a frustrating ability to suddenly stop reacting to your hits or do a lot of counter-attack damage despite there being no visual indicator of such - I've had several deaths now because even when the enemy is reeling from the first attack my second results in me taking a poo poo load of damage. :psyduck:

I gave up on Death March eventually because of this. Well that and the enemies just seemed to have much higher HP and damage resistance further in, rather than simply doing more.

What gets me killed is that Geralt's range for combat stance is far less than enemies' aggro range. So I'll be holding L2 to parry but instead be getting Witcher Sense, sword out or no. Archers tend to fill me full of holes that way.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Solartide posted:

There's another spot like this I got stuck in, smoking ruins next to Crow's Nest. You can mantle up onto the wall and then jump in, and there's no way to get back out. Not sure where I stand on it, really - limited use of invisible walls is nice, though it's really jarring and obvious when you actually hit one. On the other hand movement is twitchy as gently caress and bad feeling around steep terrain, like roughly half of Skellige. Walls are steep enough that I start to slide, but not so steep that I can't accelaroll sideways and back up. And holes in the floor with ladders are bullshit, as is targeting the trap doors that cover them. Also my horse gets stuck in the trees a lot. But it's an open world, so... I dunno.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
While climbing a mountain in Ard Skellige Geralt noticed some sirens flying around in the distance, drew his sword, and refused to jump anymore, stranding me on a tiny ledge unable to actually engage the sirens and with no way to get down without dying.

I reloaded and dashed ahead a bit, slipped into a tiny crevice, and was forced to sit in that crevice for 15 minutes luring the sirens into swooping at me so I could trap them in there with Geralt and kill them then pull the rest with the crossbow until I was at last allowed to leave combat and climb the 4 foot ledge next to me.

GOTY until MGS5 comes out.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I really loving hate Skellige. Whoever thought up all the sirens and boats having hp so they leave you stranded in the middle of loving nowhere is an rear end in a top hat. Also why even put all these smuggler caches out here? Tiresome. Also even ignoring boats and middle of nowhere shitholes, the terrain is such where Roach becomes almost useless since he gets caught on everything and can't run up slopes like Geralt can.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 27, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

GOTY

Swamp hole. I somehow managed to get Roach stuck in it instead of me. Artex. :cry:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I wasn't actually being sarcastic when I said GOTY, this game is loving brilliant and despite some annoying things (stairwells, holes in the ground, poo poo targeting when trying to loot containers, drat near impossible targeting for opening trapdoors or going down ladders) it still blows every single other open world RPG I've ever played out of the water.

Edit: Did the latest patch fix Gwent on PS4? I've yet to be able to play it; it crashes the game when I try to hit 'pass'. Still GOTY.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bob NewSCART posted:

I think so. PS4 gets patches late (US still doesn't have 1.03 I think [PC is on 1.04]), and the load times rival launch-day Bloodborne so don't die or reload a lot. PC gets mods.
PS4 also has an issue where it is very hard to read text unless you sit really close to the TV or turn on the PS4's zoom function, but they said they are looking into it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

cram me sideways posted:

Jesus, I'm barely like five quests in and I am sick to tears of the loving "use your witcher senses to find thing" quests. I bet over 50% of your playtime is spent walking circles looking for glowing poo poo to click so you can move on to the next leg of a quest. It's horrible. It's a really bad hidden object game. I wanted to keep going this morning but lo and loving behold I had to stomp around a camp looking for clues AGAIN and I just loving despaired and turned it off.

I'm playing it on baby mode already; just loving have a button prompt showing me where the maguffin is, or just put it on the minimap. Who thinks this part of the game is fun? It was horrible in the tutorial and it doesn't get better when I'm running around in the woods flapping my arms looking for zombie turds or whatever.

There's an option in the UI that will display clues on the minimap, makes the investigations pretty trivial.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Holy poo poo.

Later game spoilers: I just had a drinking party with my witcher buddies. I laughed pretty much the entire time. "WITCHERS ARE INVADING" :laffo:

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
^^^ It seems he spilled some wine here and then crawled through it. Eskel! EEESKKEEEELLLLLL

poptart_fairy posted:

I've had a bunch of fights force a reload, or require an extra round trip, because Geralt refuses to climb or jump during combat. Small rocks and fences are a Witcher's true bane.

Peasants. I have mastered the game so well that yesterday I had roach jump over not one but two branches, preventing my travel time from being like tripled.

I know well the little knee high pond & boat everyone's getting stuck in...

quote:

sorceresses

I was really hoping that quest would go the way of the new Mad Max movie and they'd realize they have a room full of 30 mages and a badass witcher and that they could cut their way through the city like butter and eradicate all the witch hunters or whoever the gently caress. Radovid himself is hanging out on a boat with two guards but I can't go and execute him for his crimes?

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Levantine posted:

What gets me killed is that Geralt's range for combat stance is far less than enemies' aggro range. So I'll be holding L2 to parry but instead be getting Witcher Sense, sword out or no. Archers tend to fill me full of holes that way.

Ayup. I unequipped the arrow parry ability because of that - can't parry it if the drat things are hitting when you're considered out of combat. :suicide: