Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MisterBibs posted:

How enjoyable is this game if you're not really strongly into Traffic Spergness?
If you install the Traffic Light Toggle mod, you can turn off traffic lights at all major intersections and, for the most part, just ignore traffic (you'll still need to be a little careful with train station placement and find a good highway exit ploppable). Then it's basically a paint your own city kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

How enjoyable is this game if you're not really strongly into Traffic Spergness? In almost every Simcity game I've found that I lose a lot of motivation to play a city once it's gotten so big that traffic issues demands I build up highways and rails and other mass transit that ruins all the designs I had.

The same seems super interesting to me, but all the "Check out my super awesome mass transit design!" screenshots here are scaring me off.

Traffic is the biggest challenge in the game, but that's not saying a great deal since it's an easy game. You can be pretty bad at traffic management without completely tanking your city. You can even just turn on the infinite money mod (that comes stock with the game) and play in a no-consequences sandbox.

Mostly Skylines is about making cool-looking stuff. People post about big, showy traffic engineering projects because they're one of the more impressive-looking things you can build in the game, but you can just make whatever you want and see what happens.

That being said, if you want to make a big city with smooth-running traffic, it pays to cultivate a Buddhist sense of unattachment to individual bits of your city. The game is super-forgiving of mass redevelopment via bulldozer; zones repopulate quickly once you demolish and rebuild them, so you can knock stuff down and put in better roads pretty painlessly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JerikTelorian posted:

So, I'm having a bit of an issue maintaining goods inflow. My city has so far been okay with no major traffic SNAFU's, but I'm now seeing previously stable commercial zones bitching about lack of goods. Any idea what could be causing this? I heard tell that there was a bug related to commerce, though I don't know much about it.

I've had tons of problems with this in the past, best I can tell is that the "dispatch" ai for shops isn't that great and shops don't receive goods in order of priority very well. If you combine that with a slow transport system or a long distance it can mean that by the time a goods truck is dispatched to that shop, it's gone out of business from lack of goods. Traffic++ includes a lot of great options for setting up a delivery-only network of streets which can help. But I've had that problem even on small towns with barely used highways and a freight station right next to shops and industry and they sit there yelling about a lack of raw materials, a lack of goods. That part makes me think the "dispatch ai" (if there even is one) can get a bit confused. No fiddling with my network fixed things, I just kept building the city and eventually I some how grew out of it. My other guess is that some deliveries are getting stuck off-map and de-spawning. Maybe a boat got jammed or a train was held up somewhere you can't see and can't fix.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Can someone do me the favor of explaining how to filter rail traffic? Or even just how to organize your rail and highway poo poo, I want to make a big use of both but my trains are underused (except for my ultrabusy oil export line) and my highways just get clogged up around a couple of busy exits. I tried to set up frontage roads or whatever but they seem to attract a lot of traffic as well, especially around their highway connections.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gibbo posted:

Please continue talking about how "someone dragging a level terrain tool" doesn't result in a river with steep sides. (And BTW we live in the same region. You're not nearly Scandinavian enough to be using the generic "ocean inlet" version of the word fjord)
Sorry I didn't mean to hit a nerve, no fjord-shaming intended.

MisterBibs posted:

How enjoyable is this game if you're not really strongly into Traffic Spergness? In almost every Simcity game I've found that I lose a lot of motivation to play a city once it's gotten so big that traffic issues demands I build up highways and rails and other mass transit that ruins all the designs I had.

The same seems super interesting to me, but all the "Check out my super awesome mass transit design!" screenshots here are scaring me off.

Traffic problems grow very quickly, the game's focus is really on traffic management. Like when someone builds a model train set they rarely build an exact replica of real life, they want to jam as much track as possible in and everything else is scenery. In modeling that's called "selective compression" and it lets you focus on what you want to model and minimize the other aspects. Skylines is much in the same way, but it's a road/traffic simulator. Buildings are scaled down, traffic is scaled way way up. The whole city-building aspect is just little buildings to generate the stars of the game: traffic. You have to massively over-build and over-plan your transport system fairly early on, as the "city" part of the game is scaled down and the "traffic" part of the game is scaled up, so it's totally normal for a city of 40,000 people to have a massive complex multi-level highway system and a half dozen subway lines and even then run into traffic snarls. A lot of the frustration people have with the game is that because the traffic is so massively scaled up vs the population people do not expect traffic problems from the design and size of their city as they are usually just building based on what feels reasonable compared to real cities. You need to forget how the real world works and learn how drivers in this world of perpetual rush-hour act. If min/maxing traffic flows and learning exactly how drivers in-game plan routes isn't your idea of fun you might not like the game. The game pushes every city towards a very car-centric and highway-centric design solution for most problems, if that's not how you want to design a city you'll be fighting the simulation and the game's intentions at every step.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Can someone do me the favor of explaining how to filter rail traffic? Or even just how to organize your rail and highway poo poo, I want to make a big use of both but my trains are underused (except for my ultrabusy oil export line) and my highways just get clogged up around a couple of busy exits. I tried to set up frontage roads or whatever but they seem to attract a lot of traffic as well, especially around their highway connections.

For a good freight rail system you need 2 parts. You need a single freight station hooked up to the outside world. This is your transfer station, this is where all goods to and from your city will pass. This will ensure a steady stream of FULL freight trains in and out rather than thousands of 10% full freight trains filling up your local network. Just have two freight stations close together on a tiny roundabout or something. There's some fancy ways people have linked them together, you can even do it with just a straight road or a loop of highway onramp I believe. The key is just making sure trucks can travel between the two stations very very quickly. For best results make sure these stations are not hooked up to other roads so no one else uses them. Stations don't need garbage pickup, at most a fire trucks. Traffic++ can let you set up service vehicle only access pretty easily.

The local network is the 2nd part.
From that 2nd station you then make a big loop or network or what ever of stations that serve your city. Have a freight station in the middle of every industrial area, have one near your main commercial area too. Trains will then move a large majority of your city's internal freight movement via rail, freeing up your roads. Any exports/imports will come through your transfer station. It's also good to make your stations not directly on the main line, have the stations off on sidings so that trains stopped at a station do not block the network.

For a smaller city it's possible to do this all without the transfer station, but eventually your system will choke because every single station in the network will be summoning and sending export/import trains along with domestic trains. Oh and once you get your freight rail system in place you can use the heavy truck ban which will essentially force your city's trucks to use the freight system instead. Still, trucks need to get to and from each station even at the very local level so make sure each station has good access.

PS here's a picture showing how to make a transfer station. There's more min/maxed ways of doing it, but this gives the general idea.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Thanks for the comments, everyone; looks like I'll pass unless it goes on sale for a massively reduced price.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MisterBibs posted:

Thanks for the comments, everyone; looks like I'll pass unless it goes on sale for a massively reduced price.

It's still fun though. I mean I absolutely can't stand highways and junctions and poo poo but I still get enjoyment out of the game, but it's more a stubborn battle with the game vs playing it. With a lot of mods you can make traffic much less of a problem, practically turn it off and just make bonsai cities.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's not much actual gameplay besides the traffic though so if you do that it might get boring pretty quick.

Don't get me wrong I love the game but it'll be cool to see where it goes from here - even if all it ends up doing is inspiring more games in the genre.

CitiesXL had some cool ideas RE the 'zones' that you could set up. Like a ski resort, beach area, etc. Then they were going to include a mini management game or whatever so you could do a little bit of Ski Resort Tycoon in your city. Ended up getting cut, though.

SimCity had some good ideas too, with the specialized buildings and events and whatever.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

For what it's worth, I think Baronjutter is heavily overstating the scaling and difficulty issues. I got my first city up to 40,000 citizens with no special knowledge of the game's traffic quirks, no advance planning, pretty basic infrastructure, and no overwhelming traffic problems. I did benefit from the fact that two-lane roads (which I mostly used) are really efficient in Skylines, but overall I didn't feel like I was fighting the traffic sim very much.

If anything, I'd say a large fraction - maybe the majority - of road networks I see in screenshots look overbuilt to me. People try to compensate for poor network design and overall layout problems by using more and bigger roads, but that's not a very good solution most of the time.

What I'd say Baron got right is that pushing the limits of the traffic sim means learning a lot of details about how it works, some of which are not immediately obvious or even downright silly, but you don't really have to do that to have a successful city. It's a viable option to just accept some bad traffic, the game won't punish you too badly for it. Real-life cities have traffic problems too, after all.

Baron complains a lot about traffic but he never posts screenshots when we ask him. We think he may secretly be Bad At Cities, but it's also possible he just has a different set of expectations about how things should work.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

MisterBibs posted:

It sounds to me like you don't actually like city simulators all that much.

I recommend SimTown. That seems right up your alley.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Supraluminal posted:

Baron complains a lot about traffic but he never posts screenshots when we ask him. We think he may secretly be Bad At Cities, but it's also possible he just has a different set of expectations about how things should work.
He explained one of his latest outbursts was because he was using a mod that cranked up agents per building absolutely making GBS threads cars anywhere and everywhere compared to base agent balancing.

I feel like a key difference between SC4 and Skylines is that in Skylines you can get by completely fine imitating any sort of real city road features you want, instead of needing to create networks exactly like the NAM contributors think they need to look like. If you've got something resembling something from the real world, you probably have the correct sort of connectivity that means you won't have traffic issues.

A sale is probably the correct answer for the guy asking because all the traffic wanking is because the rest of the sim is so shallow all there is to talk about is the 100th way we've found to do X with roads.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Curvature of Earth posted:

It sounds to me like you don't actually like city simulators all that much.

I recommend SimTown. That seems right up your alley.

idk just because SC4 had NAM spergs doesn't mean city sim = traffic sim

Other than Cities: Skylines and SC4 + NAM I can't even think of any other city game in which 'traffic' was a real concern. Kinda rude for no reason. :shrug:

zedprime posted:

He explained one of his latest outbursts was because he was using a mod that cranked up agents per building absolutely making GBS threads cars anywhere and everywhere compared to base agent balancing.

Yeah I think he said he made offices have 10x the capacity so obviously that's going to result in traffic problems lol... I don't know how you can even say 'I increased the amount of people needing to travel by a factor of 10 and this poo poo is unbalanced and dumb and traffic is a nightmare!' with a straight face.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

zedprime posted:

A sale is probably the correct answer for the guy asking because all the traffic wanking is because the rest of the sim is so shallow all there is to talk about is the 100th way we've found to do X with roads.

You're not wrong about the rest of the game being shallow, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Depends if you want a gamey game with a lot of complexity or a "software toy" that lets you just make a cool-looking city. I'm personally having fun with Skylines currently falling towards the latter end of the spectrum, but I could enjoy something mechanically deeper if it didn't get in the way of the creative aspect.

I know Baron mentioned his density-altering mods. I wasn't going to make a thing out of it, figuring I would give him the benefit of the doubt - that he presumably has played with the stock game enough to have a sense of how it works. Could be wrong, though!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think it's a super valid critique to point out that the city sim "genre" is about more than just a model train and road track. The older Sim games had lots going on in terms of city ordnances, tax policy and economic development, providing city services, nods to gentrification or "redevelopment" issues, etc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My modding attempts have been coming at things once again from real-world ideas which don't translate well into the game. My thought was that by increasing density to "realistic" levels I could fit more people into a more compact space and see a higher mode-share of walking and transit use. In real life once areas get more and more dense people don't even own cars and the city relies more and more on alternatives, but in skylines people don't seem to take congestion into account when picking their mode, everyone lives as if they were living in a suburban house and cars and fold up and fit in your pocket, so extreme density only translated into extreme traffic.

I'm thinking of really sperging out hard and trying to figure out how the AI really picks their mode, but it's super hard since none of those stats are in-game. "car trips saved" is fairly meaningless to me as are the number of people using transit and there's nothing to compare to. Simcity4 had nice graphs showing the city's transport modes so you can see that that new subway system you built resulted in less car-use. In skylines it's hard to really get a handle on the exact effects your policies are having. I mostly think they just didn't bother to include this graph/data, but a really negative part of me thinks it's because such data would expose the traffic/transport system for not really working that well or consistently due to the nature of how trips are generated. In simcity people HAD to get to their work somehow or their building would abandon, in Skylines work-commuters are mostly window dressing. You can cut off a huge residential area from all access to jobs and they do fine, and their workplaces do fine. They obviously had to do this because the alternative would make simcity4's "no job zot" problems look minor. The cars in skylines exist to fill highways and create jams to solve, not to actually model transport needs or any sort of simulation function.

So what I'm doing now with traffic++ seems really dirty. I'm cutting off all areas from car traffic, making it so no one can drive. The city functions perfectly, the quiet roads are only disturbed by the occasional hearse or police car. But are all these drivers I displaced actually walking to work or taking transit, or simply going to the park instead? Or not going out at all? There is no realistic downside to essentially banning cars from your city. The fact that I even have a transit system is just eye-candy, CiMs don't actually need to go anywhere for the city to function. In simcity4 when I'd make a very low-car city where barely anyone drove I felt like I earned it, people didn't drive because I designed a great city, but the city was still functioning. In skylines my victory over the car feels totally unearned, but at the moment we lack the tools and AI behavior to really accomplish much in this respect.

What I'd love to see:
CiM's take a rough estimate of congestion on their route into account when picking modes. A clear highway is an invitation to drive, a jammed highway makes people look at alternatives.
CiM's or buildings actually tracked if they even own a car. Someone without a car doesn't even have the option of driving.
Policies that help deter car use/ownership (taxes, congestion charges and so on)
Trams, elevated and surface metro.

Really though what a lot of it comes down to is parking and the fact that no game has modeled it. Parking bylaws sound boring but they are one if, if not THE, most critical policy a city can has that shapes its growth. An apartment building without parking doesn't generate car trips, but the residents are absolutely dependent on transit or the proximity of jobs/services. At the same time parking takes up a ton of space, mandating it in all new construction makes cheap land critical as every strip mall and office park suddenly requires a vast sea of surface parking around it. If cheap land isn't available that requires underground parking or some sort of multi-level parking structure, which is astronomically more expensive than surface parking. But once you go down the road of mandating parking your city essentially has to spawl out horizontally to make room for all the cheap surface parking required, and the more spread out and low-density the city is, the more car dependent it is, and the more car dependant a city is, the more critical a supply of cheap parking is. These are the sort of urban planning issues that get me all hot and excited. Any traffic engineer can tell you the one best or correct way to funnel cars around or design a junction, but the big-picture land use and transport policy choices a city makes are the ones that matter, and the ones that create the need for that new junction in the first place.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

DLC idea: Cities: Skylines: Parking Lots and Meters

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here's my current test city, it's mostly just to test out traffic++ but I'm having fun with it.

If it works out I'll make all sorts of custom parks for this square (and get rid of all the skyscrapers or put them in a skyscraper ghetto)

The idea was to make what looked like a single grid of streets but in fact the city is divided into districts with only one way in/out (by car)

But my grid of underground highways and roundabouts were quickly overwhelmed, so I just turned off car-access to the ramps :( I'm sure the traffic problem is solvable but gently caress re-building an intersection from scratch underground while tangled in subways.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

...oh dear.

I wish there was an easy way to get subways over to my islands of industry.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

...oh dear.

I wish there was an easy way to get subways over to my islands of industry.

I think your problem here is no tunnels.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Is that rail system from alt reality Atlanta where the following conversation took place in 1866?

Mayor: Well, time to rebuild.
Engineer: Okay, we really need to get the rail system going again but we need all new tracks...
Mayor: All new? What happened to the tracks we had?
Engineer: Sherman's army tore them all up, torched them, and tied them around the trees.
Mayor: gently caress it, use 'em anyways.
Engineer: I hate my life.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I hit a high enough population that the simulation has ground to a halt while I still have this big rear end hole in the middle of my city. This is why we need medium density. :negative:

To anyone who's hosed around with changing the pop caps for buildings, would I be doing anything too horrifying to the simulation by halving the inhabitants per high density residential building with the European theme?

e: For anyone interested, disabling Traffic++ doubled the simulation speed for me.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 27, 2015

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I hit a high enough population that the simulation has ground to a halt while I still have this big rear end hole in the middle of my city. This is why we need medium density. :negative:

To anyone who's hosed around with changing the pop caps for buildings, would I be doing anything too horrifying to the simulation by halving the inhabitants per high density residential building with the European theme?

e: For anyone interested, disabling Traffic++ doubled the simulation speed for me.

Your city looks fantastic! What map are you using for it?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Latest patch notes say the developer is working on performance improvements, especially in large cities, for the next two weeks.

I haven't messed with population levels, but I would think that decreasing density would be largely harmless. It should theoretically make traffic easier, though service provision could get a bit harder due to the city being more spread out.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 27, 2015

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I've tried making some junctions in the asset editor, but I can't use it in the game or even load it in the asset editor again. There's no way to set an icon either. It appears in the content manager and is activated but won't load at all.

Edit: also opening the GTA map with the courthouse in doesn't unlock the courthouse.

pisshead fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 27, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fish Fry Andy posted:

This is a really nice city. Do you have to "cheat" with traffic++ disabling cars for it to work, or does your grid of 2-lane streets plus a few 6-lane streets work out? I've always found the 4-6 lane streets end up causing more problems. 2 lane or highway, nothing in between.

If you were to halve the populations in residential buildings I think that would work well. Vanilla numbers go from 60 to 160, which sort of works on the vanilla buildings because they get a lot bigger over levels. But with the euro set they don't change at all, they just get some minor prop upgrades. What I'd do if I were you is decide on a target pop, say 80 or 90, then work back from there so the levels would go 50,60,70,80,90. Pretty much every building ends up max or 2nd to max level anyways.

An alternative would be to use the control level up mod and force your high density residential to stay in the lower levels and only let them upgrade where you're comfortable the infrastructure can handle it. By using the level up mod you almost do have the power to "zone" medium density as you can just make a big patch of high density residential stuck at level 1 or 2 or what ever level you want. It's an awesome mod. The building picker mod has also become essential to me. Pick up and duplicate zoned buildings you like, plop them over top of buildings you don't like.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hollow Talk posted:

Your city looks fantastic! What map are you using for it?

It's one I'm currently working on. I'm planning on uploading it some time in the next 24 or so hours. I haven't found any glaring issues with it, so I think it's good to go. I just need to do a pass in the map editor to fix some things I noticed and then I'll upload it.

Supraluminal posted:

Latest patch notes say the developer is working on performance improvements, especially in large cities, for the next two weeks.

Hopefully they make some headway, it made my game unplayable.

Baronjutter posted:

This is a really nice city. Do you have to "cheat" with traffic++ disabling cars for it to work, or does your grid of 2-lane streets plus a few 6-lane streets work out? I've always found the 4-6 lane streets end up causing more problems. 2 lane or highway, nothing in between.

The grid doesn't work at all, this city is full of traffic problems and is an absolute cluster. I just slapped down some grid with infinite money and everything unlocked without putting too much thought into how it would work out as this city is just a test, so I have tons of issues. The biggest problem is mostly that I have a ton of dirty intersections on the two lane roads. If a road isn't an even 4 way intersection, with each road coming in at 90 degree angles, that means that each direction is on its own light. This is seriously crippling pretty much every street as there are twice as many red lights as there need to be.

If I was a lot less lazy and had a decent layout I don't think traffic would be much of an issue.

I've also been using the level up mod for this city, but I'd like to be able to let buildings grow normally. It's not infrastructure that's loving me, it's the fact that my CPU is making GBS threads itself.

e: Although using the level up mod might be the best bet, I could download a bunch of T4/5 and level 3 offices, which would let me do some cool stuff while just relegating 90% of the high density zoning to the mid levels.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 27, 2015

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I gave my starting tile a little more water flow if anyone wants to check it out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baronjutter posted:

That's the maximized approach but I always feel it ends up so soulless without 4 lanes and you can do some neat (but unnecessary) things with route logic if you're deliberate about it.

I'll stop blowing the default intersection behavior long enough to admit the default lights at 2 lane to 4-6 lane intersections make classic inner city hierarchical ordinate grids with full zone coverage just about impossible without gaming it with enough one ways that would be impossible to navigate in real life. But thinking about ways to do it has probably given me the inspiration to actually start a European tileset city.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone know where I could grab a "complete" save with the new buildings so that I can load it up and unlock them? I don't care at all about :qq: cheebs :qq: and just want to plop down the cathedral and the stadium and stuff.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I've had tons of problems with this in the past, best I can tell is that the "dispatch" ai for shops isn't that great and shops don't receive goods in order of priority very well. If you combine that with a slow transport system or a long distance it can mean that by the time a goods truck is dispatched to that shop, it's gone out of business from lack of goods. Traffic++ includes a lot of great options for setting up a delivery-only network of streets which can help. But I've had that problem even on small towns with barely used highways and a freight station right next to shops and industry and they sit there yelling about a lack of raw materials, a lack of goods. That part makes me think the "dispatch ai" (if there even is one) can get a bit confused. No fiddling with my network fixed things, I just kept building the city and eventually I some how grew out of it. My other guess is that some deliveries are getting stuck off-map and de-spawning. Maybe a boat got jammed or a train was held up somewhere you can't see and can't fix.

What the problem seems to be (I think) was the lack of a cargo harbor. I'd been avoiding one because I wanted to wait till I unlocked the next map block, but I gave in a kludged one into my rail network. Problems resolved almost immediately.

I'm guessing that Airports can't move cargo, but a neat map/scenario would be to use a cargo airport mod in a locked-in map to recreate the Berlin Airlift.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 27, 2015

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It's one I'm currently working on. I'm planning on uploading it some time in the next 24 or so hours. I haven't found any glaring issues with it, so I think it's good to go. I just need to do a pass in the map editor to fix some things I noticed and then I'll upload it.
Well let us know when you do, cause I am itching to start a new city. :v:

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

zedprime posted:

That's the maximized approach but I always feel it ends up so soulless without 4 lanes and you can do some neat (but unnecessary) things with route logic if you're deliberate about it.

I'll stop blowing the default intersection behavior long enough to admit the default lights at 2 lane to 4-6 lane intersections make classic inner city hierarchical ordinate grids with full zone coverage just about impossible without gaming it with enough one ways that would be impossible to navigate in real life. But thinking about ways to do it has probably given me the inspiration to actually start a European tileset city.

Can you explain that in plain English? Maybe with some pictures? What about the default light behavior is bad?

I've been using 4- and 6-lane roads without a lot of trouble, but I take pains to keep the intersections on them widely spaced. I also did a fair amount of turn-lane fuckery on the busiest parts of the 6-lane to really make it work at its maximum potential.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is there a map pack (or are there some goon suggested maps like what Fish Fry just posted) that's got a little more character than the default maps, but not mountains/islands everywhere? I feel like in order to rid myself of the brutalist grid style, I need some windy rivers/forest/small hills to create some differently-shaped neighborhoods and go with a more organic flow. The default maps are nice, but a wide open flat area just screams to me "Grid industry here!" "Grid residential here!" "Separate with a highway!" "Do it again down the road!"

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is there a map pack (or are there some goon suggested maps like what Fish Fry just posted) that's got a little more character than the default maps, but not mountains/islands everywhere? I feel like in order to rid myself of the brutalist grid style, I need some windy rivers/forest/small hills to create some differently-shaped neighborhoods and go with a more organic flow. The default maps are nice, but a wide open flat area just screams to me "Grid industry here!" "Grid residential here!" "Separate with a highway!" "Do it again down the road!"

Fish Fry's stuff is good, I'm playing on his Cantil Valley map now. Nice combination of flat and hilly areas.

In terms of other stuff on the Workshop, this guy Scotland Tom has made a handful of really well-done maps. Powatan Valley is his best, I think. There's also a guy called zakarias or something like that who makes Dutch landscapes that might be what you're looking for.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Supraluminal posted:

Can you explain that in plain English? Maybe with some pictures? What about the default light behavior is bad?

I've been using 4- and 6-lane roads without a lot of trouble, but I take pains to keep the intersections on them widely spaced. I also did a fair amount of turn-lane fuckery on the busiest parts of the 6-lane to really make it work at its maximum potential.
Riffs on this are generally a no go in the base game unless made entirely out of 2 lane roads because there are way too many lights stopping main street traffic for no reason. The real life intersection analogs for the amount of traffic that those roads actually see would have stop or yield signs, or possibly a sensor based light.

There are simple fixes, but the sort of gamey stuff that looks questionable in a traffic sim game: you could make the excess 2 lane spines one way toward the center of the superblock to remove lights from the 4 lane roads. That is the reference to being impossible to navigate if it were real without the perfect pathfinding in the game. You could abandon the fine ordinate grid and create subdivisions inside the superblock that only connect once or twice to the 4 lane roads. That's arguably better looking but sometimes you want your skyscrapers in a grid and not in a cul de sac or roundabout

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Bold Robot posted:

There's also a guy called zakarias or something like that who makes Dutch landscapes that might be what you're looking for.

I made this city (That I got bored with around 80k pop) on his excellent Drebbeldam map:

Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421638139

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

All the assets are unlocked on this savefile: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=437491709

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Including the new monuments from the patch (the Gherkin, etc.)? Looks like this savefile predates the patch. I've got all of the pre-patch stuff unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Oh, sorry, yeah, it's pre-patch. I didn't know that they added new unlockables.