Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

I will overcome all the impostor syndrome my very ml/stats/data science oriented thesis induced in me dang it

run some ML algorithms over yosposters post history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
note that the half figgy is more money than the six that came before it. funny how figgies work

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

fleshweasel posted:

note that the half figgy is more money than the six that came before it. funny how figgies work

i think the jury is out on that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

do the maths

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

100k vs 315k

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Bloody posted:

100k vs 315k

thats not what a figgy is!!! a figgy takes its name from significant figures, or significant figgys. 6.5 figgies is 150k

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
what if its the 14th figure, its not 6 and half consecutive figgys

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Valeyard posted:

what if its the 14th figure

no one has ever had 14 figgies and possibly wont ever!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

power botton posted:

no one has ever had 14 figgies and possibly wont ever!

but maybe its 6 figgys, the first 6, and then the half a figgy is actually the 14th, or 10th or something

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
a deece 6.5 consecutive figgys starting from 0

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

power botton posted:

thats not what a figgy is!!! a figgy takes its name from significant figures, or significant figgys. 6.5 figgies is 150k

the figgies come from the base ten log of the salary. the commonly known figgies are whole numbers and thus easy to reason about. however when you get into the decimal figgies you just break out your Maths.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

ive been meaning to read engineering mathematics for some time now

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

for example, seven figgies is very clearly not 200k, so how could six and a half figgies possibly be 150k?? it just doesn't add up!

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

7 figgies is M&M terriroty!!!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Awia posted:

ive been meaning to read engineering mathematics for some time now
read engineering mathematics now

if you don't want to pay $$$ and you don't like pirated ebooks, your uni (you're at uni right?) should have a couple of copies in the library

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

coffeetable posted:

read engineering mathematics now

if you don't want to pay $$$ and you don't like pirated ebooks, your uni (you're at uni right?) should have a couple of copies in the library

i graduate pretty soon, but i can still get at the uni library online and in person for now

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Deacon of Delicious posted:

but knowing math gets you that super valuable half-figgy

was wonderin about this, so working from the SO dev survey data

notes
  • the survey data has everyone in $20k brackets so for everyone >$160k i assumed $170k. that's probably way off and actually obeys a power law but idgaf
  • barcharts are typically inferior to rug or density plots, but cause everyone's binned it looks like garbage and it takes some mega jittering to make it look not-garbage
  • there are three US windows phone developers
  • note the huge gap between 'data scientist' and 'machine learning developer'

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 27, 2015

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm the growth hacker.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i

coffeetable posted:

you're like 25

why on earth are you fluent in fortran

know fortran because I had to fix a bug in old jobs weather lobs from like 92

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I'm the growth hacker.

tha growth hacker, tha weed whacker, tha bush trimmer

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

if anyone else wants to poke around, the data's here and the code i used was

code:
import scipy as sp
import pandas as pd
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import seaborn as sns

data_path = 'Full Results - Stack Overflow Developer Survey - 2015.csv'
data = pd.read_csv(data_path, skiprows=1)

occupation_and_compensation = data[['Compensation', 'Occupation']].dropna()

salary_map = {'Rather not say':    sp.nan,
              'Unemployed':        0,
              'Less than $20,000': 10000, 
              '$20,000 - $40,000': 30000,
              '$40,000 - $60,000': 50000,
              '$60,000 - $80,000': 70000,
              '$80,000 - $100,000': 90000,
              '$100,000 - $120,000': 110000,
              '$120,000 - $140,000': 130000,
              '$140,000 - $160,000': 150000,
              'More than $160,000': 170000}

occupation_and_compensation['Compensation'] = occupation_and_compensation['Compensation'].apply(salary_map.get)
mean_compensation = occupation_and_compensation.groupby('Occupation').aggregate(sp.mean)

ax = mean_compensation.sort('Compensation').plot(kind='barh')
ax.set_title('Compensation by occupation, all developers, \nn = {:,}'.format(occupation_and_compensation.shape[0]))
ax.figure.set_size_inches(10, 10)
ax.legend_.remove()

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ml seems pretty cool but i really want to learn os design and/or how maybe some detailed poo poo like how the jvm works

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i guess it's a matter of balancing that while trying to get through books like c# in depth because i'd like to be very knowledgeable about a particular language for once, but those books can get pretty dense which makes it tough. my reading skills have gone out the window in some ways and it sucks

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

did 2 uni modules and literally marking oc & concurrency exam papers right now. it's v boring, not generally challenging to implement, it's mostly about 30 years of increasingly cumbersome algorithms and iterative advancement. would not recommend.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

triple sulk posted:

i guess it's a matter of balancing that while trying to get through books like c# in depth because i'd like to be very knowledgeable about a particular language for once, but those books can get pretty dense which makes it tough. my reading skills have gone out the window in some ways and it sucks

just find a language that you actually like and then you don't have to slog through stuff. <3 haskell

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gonadic io posted:

just find a language that you actually like and then you don't have to slog through stuff. <3 haskell

i like c# though. it's not skeet's fault in any way because c# in depth is a great book, there's just a shitload of information in it and is one of those multiple read kind of books

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

ive looked into writing a lovely little os kernel so many times, but its the driest topic i have ever seen

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I wrote a self-booting command prompt with MASM once years ago that only had one command: goatse

never got around to implementing the full 320x240 goatse image though, just ascii

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oracle pl/sql programming is a very good book on a very bad language

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oracle is the worst oh my god

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oracle is a really good db but pl/sql is so stupidly antiquated

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
pl/sql is an abomination. it's a shame it's so useful.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

pl/sql is an abomination. it's a shame it's so useful.
yeah

if they scrapped it and developed java for dbs that would be some insanely good poo poo

idk how it would even work but it would probably own

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

St Evan Echoes posted:

yeah

if they scrapped it and developed java for dbs that would be some insanely good poo poo

IBM has a Java fetish (which my phone corrected to "Java fetid") and they still use wacky DB2 SQL

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

St Evan Echoes posted:

yeah

in sql server you can write procs as c# code and then it does magic to compile it into something that works like a normal proc. this is cool because you can do anything you can do in c# and its bad because you can do anything you can do in c#

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

coffeetable posted:

was wonderin about this, so working from the SO dev survey data

I'm the executive bothering to fill out a stack overflow salary survey

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

in sql server you can write procs as c# code and then it does magic to compile it into something that works like a normal proc. this is cool because you can do anything you can do in c# and its bad because you can do anything you can do in c#

postgres has extensions for a few different languages. it's cool and scary for the same reason.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I'm the executive bothering to fill out a stack overflow salary survey

I'm the contractor making more than the executive

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

my mum showed me the "database" they use at her work
its a ms works db file

i can feel my graduate idealism slipping away already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU