Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I would like to see this with studios instead of 1-BRs and 50% of income instead of 30%.

It's already there: multiply the number in each state by 0.6 (to adjust for 50% instead of 30%) and then by maybe 0.9 (to adjust for studios instead of 1BR; maybe use a different multiplier if you really know the price difference). The new numbers would range from 26.5 for SD and 54.5 for MD.

It's kind of moot because the map will be exactly the same, and 1BRs and studios are so close in price that I don't think that would make a difference (outside of fringe cases).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I want to see that map by county instead of by state.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Hawaii must be fairly awful to live in if you're in a low-income job. 3 weeks worth of income a month dedicated to rent?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Most of the people I've known who have lived in Hawaii say it sucks, independent of money. Honolulu is a dump and everywhere else is boring. Everything is expensive as gently caress since it's all imported and the locals hate you.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Is there a hawaiian mob

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I would like to see this with studios instead of 1-BRs and 50% of income instead of 30%.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah, 30% of income is a rule used for like an upper middle class person who has free reign to wait months for a suitable housing opportunity to come up.

It's still gonna be really ugly.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Doesn't this just mean that living without roommates is a luxury of wealth?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Frostwerks posted:

Is there a hawaiian mob

Da Hui, brah.

I can confirm that Honolulu is mostly a dump. Doubly-so if you can only find minimum-wage work. You can get a run-down piece of poo poo 1BR in town so you can live close to work, but enjoy sharing it because you'll work the entire month just to make rent. Or, you can rent something only slightly cheaper 'Ewa side but then get to enjoy the worst traffic in America on your way to work.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
the historical region of novorossiya in dark:

tbh not claiming subdniester Odessa would be a loving crime against pretty borders and at that point nato and eu would surely have to invervene

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

SaltyJesus posted:

tbh not claiming subdniester Odessa would be a loving crime against pretty borders and at that point nato and eu would surely have to invervene

A map of interwar Romania:

Note how the coastal region between Dnester and Donau was part of the province of Bessarabia back then. I guess the Soviet government decided to transfer it to the Ukranian SSR at some point.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SaltyJesus posted:

That is easily solved by Romania absorbing Moldova and it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Spazzle posted:

Doesn't this just mean that living without roommates is a luxury of wealth?
Living with roommates is a necessity of poverty.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Kopijeger posted:

A map of interwar Romania:

Note how the coastal region between Dnester and Donau was part of the province of Bessarabia back then. I guess the Soviet government decided to transfer it to the Ukranian SSR at some point.

Ukraine's Soviet overlords took that, sliced the tail off Czechoslovakia, and added/ethnically cleansed the old Polish kresy, all areas where anti-Russian sentiment is strong today.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Source

A map of the average age per county in Germany that goes well with population change map posted a while ago. Young people go where the jobs are, leaving the old and unemployed behind.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Remember the guy who claimed Bir Tawil for the public attention last year so his daughter could be a princess? Well, that saga isn't over yet. Say hello to the world's newest Sealand!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Remember the guy who claimed Bir Tawil for the public attention last year so his daughter could be a princess? Well, that saga isn't over yet. Say hello to the world's newest Sealand!

Will this one also have a bizarre helicopter based palace coup?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Will this one also have a bizarre helicopter based palace coup?

I expect it to resemble the ending to The Man Who Would Be King.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 26, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I like that there are about as many native Spanish speakers in the US as there are in Spain. Also, isn't it kinda cheating to list all of that under "Chinese"?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Soviet Commubot posted:

I like that there are about as many native Spanish speakers in the US as there are in Spain. Also, isn't it kinda cheating to list all of that under "Chinese"?

That should read Most popular languages being taught around the world as evidenced by all the people who did take English at school but sure as gently caress don't know how to speak it beyond IS CAT A DOG and gently caress.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jerry Cotton posted:

That should read Most popular languages being taught around the world as evidenced by all the people who did take English at school but sure as gently caress don't know how to speak it beyond IS CAT A DOG and gently caress.
The people asking questions on Yahoo Answers?

The color scheme on that map is inconsistent as all hell.

Mexico is part of the color key map for North America, but is colored as South America under Spanish. Malaysia has neither the color of Oceania nor Asia Minor. e: Nope, but they did put the label for Malaysia in the 'Other' area, which itself is marked by a tiny asterisk. Trinidad and Tobago is in North America but Venezuela isn't.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 27, 2015

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The figures for German are wrong. They totally forgot Austria and there are way more German speakers in Switzerland. According to Wikipedia it's between 90 and 105 million native speakers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The people asking questions on Yahoo Answers?

Sadly, most of them probably have English as their mother tongue.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

As a teacher in France I couldn't agree more :smithicide:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Soviet Commubot posted:

Chinese is the politically loaded part, right? I mean even the CCP doesn't count Cantonese as the same thing as Mandarin.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Soviet Commubot posted:

Not "kind of", definitely. The chart even calls it a "macrolanguage" that "includes other languages". Mandarin still has 848 million, more than twice as many as English. And Wu and Cantonese would still get on the chart anyway.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

Ukraine's Soviet overlords took that, sliced the tail off Czechoslovakia, and added/ethnically cleansed the old Polish kresy, all areas where anti-Russian sentiment is strong today.

If the ungrateful bastards don't want it I'm sure Russia would be happy to take it back

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

House Louse posted:

Not "kind of", definitely. The chart even calls it a "macrolanguage" that "includes other languages". Mandarin still has 848 million, more than twice as many as English. And Wu and Cantonese would still get on the chart anyway.

Yeah honestly if Chinese gets to be a "macrolanguage" on that, you might as well lump english, dutch, german and french together under the macrolanguage of "western europese"

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah honestly if Chinese gets to be a "macrolanguage" on that, you might as well lump english, dutch, german and french together under the macrolanguage of "western europese"

Welcome to the Han project.

3peat
May 6, 2010

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

easy_jokes.jpg

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

How are Romania-NZ relations, incidentally? And who are your Maori analogues?

3peat
May 6, 2010

ecureuilmatrix posted:

How are Romania-NZ relations, incidentally?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
If only Romania had a group of people who prefer to keep to themselves and are known for burglary the comparison would be complete!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Orange Devil posted:

If only Romania had a group of people who prefer to keep to themselves and are known for burglary the comparison would be complete!

:dogbutton:

salt mines are cool imo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Haha

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

This is great. :D

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
gently caress yeah pigs and goats, south Romania knows what's up

best meat + cheese combo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What a terrible nation would think that pork was the best meant, and goat cheese was the best dairy product?

Nuke the Balkans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

What a terrible nation would think that pork was the best meat, and goat cheese was the best dairy product?

Nuke the Balkans.

All of East Asia? I'm sorry I'm going to have to side with Chinese food in this fight