Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sirotan posted:

Ok I discovered why there is going to be a bunny in training tomorrow. Someone in the group has a rabbit they need to give up and someone else that lives across state has agreed to adopt him. So he's going to chillax in the training room for the day before he goes to his new home. :kimchi:

So there is going to be a series of wacky hijinks culminating in a missing/much fatter bunny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

A mystery came in.

I got into work and went to my office and there's a camera bag sitting next to my desk with a note on it.

Ooh... how delightfully unhelpful you are, note. I try to replicate the issue and, sure enough, the camera will not turn on. After trying several batteries and plugging it directly into an outlet with no success, I came to the conclusion that "poo poo is hosed up and poo poo."

Maybe whoever checked it out can tell me mo... oh, no one has used the equipment sign out sheet in over a month.
Maybe the news director can tell me who ha... oh, he doesn't know.

This is the point where I'd start locking poo poo up ASAP and force people to sign it out before ever giving them anything. When your boss invariably disagrees or argues with you, go over how much it costs the company every time someone breaks hardware being an idiot, or offer to put him in charge of checking cameras out to people.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Laserface posted:

I forgot "I have a Mac, can I use a Mac? Can I buy a Mac?" (entirely windows environment)

I mean I am a Mac guy and Certified to support them but you cant hit even close to our required specs (i5/256GB SSD wifi + LAN and 3yr onsite warranty) for the budget if you go Mac.

The 3yr warranty thing basically means "Just buy a Yoga or X1 Carbon or a Surface Pro if you feel like making your life unnecessarily frustrating" but no one seems to get it.

Hunh, I would have thought by the time you get into surface territory you don’t have that much to lose buying a budget refurb mac from somewhere. :shrug:

But yeah, I lucked out in terms of my work environment, although that’s probably more an artifact of my job description than anything. There’s still plenty of people who need visual studio and the biggest, baddest gaming rigs for their work in the office.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A PRESIDENTIAL COMPLAINT came in.

To preface, our old GM got promoted to COO/President of the televised news division of the corporation that owns us. He still micromanages our station in-particular, much to the chagrin of the current GM that replaced him (but he's been on "business trips" and "vacation" for more days than he's actually been in the office since he started, so gently caress him).

The production crew (the guys that run the studio, cameras, lights, etc..) communicate via headsets that connect to belt packs they wear. These belt packs break all the time because idiots drop them or rip out XLR cables rather than detaching them. Three of the five they use were broken, and I had no clue what was wrong with them. I couldn't find any physical damage internally and all the wiring was secure and unfrayed. I found out they were still under warranty so I sent them off to be repaired. They came back shortly and the repair ticket claimed that the only issue was that a switch on the circuit board was set to the wrong position. Whoops. How the gently caress did that even happen? I superglued the switches in place, problem solved.

A day after the newly repaired belt packs came back, I started getting complaints about the sound going in and out. After testing, it seems that when you press the TALK button, it works for about three or four seconds and then loses power. You then have to unplug and replug the XLR cable running into the telecom system for it to work for another three or four seconds.

Cables I can fix. Belt packs I can fix (supposedly :smith:). Issues with the telecom system are where I draw the line on my skills to diagnose, so I bring the issue up to my supervisor.

:v: Production is complaining about the belt packs going in and out. It seems like whatever is supplying power to them is shorting out after a few seconds.
:jerkbag: It's probably the belt pack.
:v: No, that couldn't be it. We just had those repaired and I've looked them over and they work fine.
:jerkbag: It's probably the cable.
:v: No, I've tried the new cables we bought, the old cables we replaced, and I made a new cable and they all do the same thing. The problem is the power.
:jerkbag: It's probably the headset.
:v: No, I tried a different headset. But the power light on the box fades out after a few seconds, which seems to me like whatever is supplying power to them is just giving up.
:jerkbag: It's probably some interference from somewhere.
:v: No, it's power related. The signal is fine until the box dies.
:jerkbag: It's proba-
:argh: What supplies power to the drat boxes? That's the issue!
:jerkbag: It's right here, but there's no alarms or warning lights.
:argh: Then it's probably something that wouldn't trip the alarm. Can we please take a look at it and make sure?
:jerkbag: I don't want to. We'll risk messing up the production telecom.
:argh: Whatever.

This was last week. I get an email this morning from THE PRESIDENT bitching that I'm not doing my job and news is suffering because I haven't figured out the belt pack issue.

I'd throw my supervisor under the bus, but they are bestest friends forever reacharound butt buddies and it'd just blow up in my face.

Oh, how I wish I could :yotj:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You can either get what you're given from the company store room or use your 2 grand allowance to buy a machine, desktop or laptop.

The devs have i7 watercooled rigs (which is probably still overkill) and the BDMs buy laptops. Theres one accountant who has 3 displays and 32GB of RAM because ~spreadsheets~ but otherwise its mostly Lenovo X220s or thinkcentres.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Laserface posted:

I forgot "I have a Mac, can I use a Mac? Can I buy a Mac?" (entirely windows environment)

I mean I am a Mac guy and Certified to support them but you cant hit even close to our required specs (i5/256GB SSD wifi + LAN and 3yr onsite warranty) for the budget if you go Mac.

The 3yr warranty thing basically means "Just buy a Yoga or X1 Carbon or a Surface Pro if you feel like making your life unnecessarily frustrating" but no one seems to get it.

I mean, honestly, if your BYOD policy requires on-site, you may as well just provide the hardware yourselves. You guys are setting money on fire by letting individual employees repeatedly buy their own instead of just negotiating a rate for an approved configuration with a vendor

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

evol262 posted:

I mean, honestly, if your BYOD policy requires on-site, you may as well just provide the hardware yourselves. You guys are setting money on fire by letting individual employees repeatedly buy their own instead of just negotiating a rate for an approved configuration with a vendor

This is what I have said numerous times, and we even offer to buy the laptops for them using our discounts and offers we get through dealing with Lenovo Directly. Its just new hires (especially the sales guys, who knew) are total loving idiots and dont read the agreement (literally a contract as to why we are paying them 2k over 2 years) and dont get the specs.

The rule is currently being changed to 'buy something off this list or you are on your loving own and we still get to re-image and lock down the local admin rights'

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Laserface posted:

Has anyone ever successfully implemented a BYOD policy and not encountered:

-idiots buying below-spec laptops to try and pocket the difference and then crying to us when their $400 laptop is not under warranty or doesnt perform well enough for the job they do
-idiots bringing in their home laptop claiming they bought it that day to try and capitalise on the entirety of the BYOD allowance
-idiots not understanding the 'we are going to format the machine and reimage it absolutely nothing on there will exist when you get back' contract they sign

Happens far too often in almost any IT environment unless you really push back and give specifics on hardware that's supported. The 2 successful places I've seen it work where they hit all your bullet points were:

- Bought a below spec laptop, tried to pocket the difference: Not on our approved list, were told it wouldn't meet minimum needs/requirements, not going to touch it. (best to have a manager's backup on this)
- Tried to bring in a home laptop, claimed they bought it recently: Best to look up the serial/warranty/manufacture date info to get proof they're being dishonest (again, make sure a manager is aware)
- Format/reimage policy: point out in specific words where it states in the contract that (a) the machine will not be backed up, (b) formatting wipes ALL data with no recovery option, (c) company is not responsible for any personal data loss/recovery

As long as you have decent CYA policies in place, it's not too difficult to slap dumb requests down, unless you've got a manager or supervisor that likes to be a doormat. If that's the case, you're pretty much boned unless you can get them to put in writing specifically what they want you to do, and that you won't be responsible for the fallout later.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Help! I'm stuck in a well!

Maybe start summarizing these things in writing, and bccing them to your home email just in case. Or just document your boss asking you to "please take a look" at something supplying power to a production environment (which from what I can tell is 100% uptime at all times, no maintenance window available given that you're a TV station) with no specific guidance on a system that you have no training on. So that way when things are hosed up because of lack of guidance, you can at least have a stronger bus-throwing-under or at least one that covers you appropriately.

Or just do what we all do when asked to jump through hoops unsupervised: take the hoop somewhere else, gently caress around on SA for an hour, and state that the jumping was done?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

larchesdanrew posted:

Oh, how I wish I could :yotj:

So I get that you aren't willing to leave your completely dysfunctional workplace due to Reasons but why wouldn't you respond to something like that with what has actually happened? It is possible to defend yourself and report on what has actually transpired without throwing someone under the bus, or doing it in a way that is both polite and professional while also informing the President that his underling is a nincompoop. I get being stuck in a lovely situation but you seem to make post after post of situations where you are being poo poo all over by the people around you, and you respond by being a complete doormat. I'm really not trying to be insulting to you at all I just hate to see someone in this kind of situation.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
gently caress, I am well-goon.

I gotta rethink some things.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

A success!

I'll pinch this off early pending your determination.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I know you've said that there's no real other work in the area, but that place is going to mess you up eventually.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Seriously, start searching. If you even partially suspect your resume is off, check out Resume to Interviews - he works wonders. There's also the Linkedin profile goon - he's responsible for getting my profile to the point that recruiters reach out to me all the time, including the one that got me my current job. (Not that recruiter's fault it went to poo poo, at least)

Both services are really worth the money. Think of them as one-time investments in your career. Once you've got 'em brushed up, put the resume out on Dice/Monster and start searching. You might get spammed by Indian recruiters for positions unrelated and/or far afield, but you'll get legit hits as well. Some jobs aren't posted and recruiters will hunt for people.

Grab that rope!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nothing good comes from secretaries and printers.

We have someone in our main office who has a specific role, but is more or less a glorified secretary for no one in general. Well her printer ran out of toner and it didn't auto order more like the rest of ours do, so I had to look into it.

It wasn't part of our maintenance contract (we paid for it, but it never happened on their end) so it took a few days to resolve. Got updated, toner got ordered, and in a couple days I put the cartridge in but the printer wouldn't accept it. Tried another one - same deal.

Called tech support, but they helpfully didn't know what was happening or have days worth of stupid things to try, so they just dispatched a tech (who happened to be on holidays for a few weeks which could have made this all worse). Coincidently I had to put in another support ticket the next day, so the tech that came looked at both.

He had no idea what was happening, so escalated it internally. The printer got shipped to us with some wrong regional settings in the firmware and would have to be flashed, which requires special hardware to do. For whatever reason this firmware wouldn't allow our metered toner carts to work, so it locked up the printer when we tried to use one. After a couple more days the tech comes back, plugs in the update cartridge, and everything works. Yay.

Ultimately the printer is down for a couple of weeks, no big deal since there are more printers than staff members here. Also no big deal because I hooked her up and defaulted her to the printer on the desk beside her - 6 feet away. I kept her up to date on each step we were doing, so she knew exactly what we were waiting on and the ETA for the next step.

Still didn't stop daily (sometimes twice daily) passive aggressive emails from her saying her printer still wasn't working. Then a few times a week she had to ask for a new printer. And every time I saw her in the office she had to bring them up again.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nothing good comes from secretaries and printers.

We have someone in our main office who has a specific role, but is more or less a glorified secretary for no one in general. Well her printer ran out of toner and it didn't auto order more like the rest of ours do, so I had to look into it.

It wasn't part of our maintenance contract (we paid for it, but it never happened on their end) so it took a few days to resolve. Got updated, toner got ordered, and in a couple days I put the cartridge in but the printer wouldn't accept it. Tried another one - same deal.

Called tech support, but they helpfully didn't know what was happening or have days worth of stupid things to try, so they just dispatched a tech (who happened to be on holidays for a few weeks which could have made this all worse). Coincidently I had to put in another support ticket the next day, so the tech that came looked at both.

He had no idea what was happening, so escalated it internally. The printer got shipped to us with some wrong regional settings in the firmware and would have to be flashed, which requires special hardware to do. For whatever reason this firmware wouldn't allow our metered toner carts to work, so it locked up the printer when we tried to use one. After a couple more days the tech comes back, plugs in the update cartridge, and everything works. Yay.

Ultimately the printer is down for a couple of weeks, no big deal since there are more printers than staff members here. Also no big deal because I hooked her up and defaulted her to the printer on the desk beside her - 6 feet away. I kept her up to date on each step we were doing, so she knew exactly what we were waiting on and the ETA for the next step.

Still didn't stop daily (sometimes twice daily) passive aggressive emails from her saying her printer still wasn't working. Then a few times a week she had to ask for a new printer. And every time I saw her in the office she had to bring them up again.

Since the printer was eventually fixed, she will associate her annoying emails with the problem being resolved, and will tell everyone else in the office that that's how you get what you want from the I.T. department.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Removed printer, assigned user to print to another printer 6 feet away - Ticket Closed

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
What company has regionally locked toner?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
There is now a "Cloud to Butt" iOS tweak. Time to track down my coworkers with jailbroken phones, particularly the sales crew.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

thebigcow posted:

Xerox. And I'm not sure if it's purely a regional thing, but it locks printers out of using metered toner cartridges (that we don't pay for) when they're supposed to be using stand-alone carts.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

thebigcow posted:

loving Samsung.

And you can't get them recoded. Thus, when I moved from Asia to the UK, I ended up with a printer that won't accept genuine carts bought locally.

Instead, I have to buy knock-off carts and import the regional chips from a dodgy supplier in the US.

Well done guys :bravo:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Xerox. And I'm not sure if it's purely a regional thing, but it locks printers out of using metered toner cartridges (that we don't pay for) when they're supposed to be using stand-alone carts.

For Xerox Toner, Metered is basically another region. For the printer, it has a region, and a flag for Metered y/n. Generally, a non metered printer can't used metered toner, but a metered printer can use standard or metered toner.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have an iLO with a bad SD card and instead of putting it somewhere I can get at it while it's racked it appears to be on the motherboard. :argh:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Guy Axlerod posted:

For Xerox Toner, Metered is basically another region. For the printer, it has a region, and a flag for Metered y/n. Generally, a non metered printer can't used metered toner, but a metered printer can use standard or metered toner.

That's to keep the metered toner carts from wandering off half full with the excuse 'it was printing faint, so we changed the toner cart!'. Apparently it was a fairly popular way to get 'free' refillable toner carts before they made that change.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I just spent the last few days trying to figure out why, all of a sudden, all of our weather cameras around the state have suddenly stopped transmitting weather data. We still can pull a video feed and control the cameras, but the monitoring equipment is no longer sending us information. I've been unsuccessful in reaching any of our reps or the company's tech support.

Welp, turns out they went bankrupt and just completely shut down overnight. Unplugged all their servers and shut their doors and didn't mention anything to their clients.

Silver lining: Now we're forced to invest in a new system that will support HD video feeds we can play out directly from a server mounted machine, rather than pushing a screencap from a browser window in IE8.

Also, regarding my "goon in a well" nature. You're right, I'm a pushover with absolutely no guts. I need to stop being afraid of displeasing people at my own expense. I need to stand up for myself. If I get fired for it, then gently caress this place. It's been almost two years since I started here. I'm not the new guy anymore and it's time to start making some waves and shaping this place to suit my needs.

First on the list is I'm getting my damned ticketing system one way or another. If I haven't reported a success by the end of next week, just go ahead and exile me.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 28, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

First on the list is I'm getting my damned ticketing system one way or another. If I haven't reported a success by the end of next week, just go ahead and exile me.

Would you say that you'll :toxx: to that?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Is a "success" a "got the ticket system" or just "stood your ground on it"?

Because toxxing on being able to convince your head-in-rear end boss about something is probably not the best route to success :v:

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

FreshFeesh posted:

There is now a "Cloud to Butt" iOS tweak. Time to track down my coworkers with jailbroken phones, particularly the sales crew.

Doing God's work, spread that Butt gospel.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Langolas posted:

Doing God's work, spread that Butt

Well...

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

We all know the cloud is through goatman's rear end in a top hat. Its just further proof of the internet's destiny.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I have an iLO with a bad SD card and instead of putting it somewhere I can get at it while it's racked it appears to be on the motherboard. :argh:

If you mounted it correctly it's still accessible when racked. :v:

Regarding BYOD:
You can BYOD under the following conditions:
  • You pay for it yourself.
  • It can only connect to the insecure BYOD WiFi.
  • We offer absolutely NO support for your device. Follow the guides on the intranet and connect to Citrix.. or don't, we don't care.

Of course, people still demand support arguing that "I saved us $1500 buying my own MacBook, you're SAVING COMPANY MONEY by spending five hours setting it up for me!".
No. gently caress Off. Take this Company Issued Laptop if you want support.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It was before my time, but apparently it was implemented to stop Cascading upgrades when someone got a new laptop, and because people didnt take care of what they had.

so we said buy your own stuff and we will support it, just buy something within the guidelines.

no one bought poo poo within the guidelines unless they asked us to order it.

so now we have a whole new IT team and the manager has decided BYOD now means 'buy your own laptop, but if it doesnt match our list of specs TO THE LETTER you are on your own.'

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Crowley posted:

If you mounted it correctly it's still accessible when racked. :v:
I was about to say. For as much grief as HP causes me, their servers are at least nicely maintainable when racked correctly.

Now if they would only stop putting the USB ports on the 1U machines so you can use either the cable management arm OR the USB ports, not both. :argh:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

A ticket came in!

A user can't download attachments in outlook. He is having this problem on a laptop. Furthermore, he is out of the office until Friday evening, when he needs the laptop working to take on a trip. Ok, maybe I'll rebuild his profile. Since he's out of town, he's given me his username and password so I can log into his profile and fix the problem.

Obviously the password is wrong. After some user wrangling, guessing, and locking of his account, I get the correct password and log in to the laptop and open Outlook.

It begins first time user setup.

Once this completes his email works fine and he can download attachments. I tried webmail and that works too.

Now I have to think of a way to explain to this person that he is an idiot and tell him what his password is.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Gilok posted:

A ticket came in!

Once this completes his email works fine and he can download attachments. I tried webmail and that works too.

You're running Win8 and he used that nifty red MAIL icon on the spiffy Start page?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

Also, regarding my "goon in a well" nature. You're right, I'm a pushover with absolutely no guts. I need to stop being afraid of displeasing people at my own expense. I need to stand up for myself. If I get fired for it, then gently caress this place.

I used to do the same thing, and I honestly suffered a lot because of it. I became the go-to guy for getting poo poo done at my old job, which meant that I would always be overworked and get stuff dumped on me. I also ate poo poo on an FCC reportable outage when my supervisor let me go home early on a Friday morning, and then blamed an outage on me because the person who was supposed to take over the NOC was too busy loving off. I stopped believing in the "taking one for the team" mentality after having to defend my job to my director as the shitheel supervisor sat there and let it happen.

Today is the day you leave behind your PFY days... become the BOFH.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A bunny came in...

:3: :3:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Sirotan posted:

A bunny came in...

this saga is really the highlight of the thread recently (sorry larchesdanrew)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

A bunny came in...

Please do the feedful and advise when carrot has been implemented

Speaking of which, I think I just got some kind of new either Indo-Englishism or businesswordist phrase from our CFO.

An email from the CFO in response to a user requesting a laptop posted:

I have spoken with %user% and let us action this early next week. Let me know your thoughts.

Worst part, he's been out of India for years and is a Canadian citizen.

"Let us action" sounds like some kind of 90s dance track.

larchesdanrew posted:

Also, regarding my "goon in a well" nature. You're right, I'm a pushover with absolutely no guts. I need to stop being afraid of displeasing people at my own expense. I need to stand up for myself. If I get fired for it, then gently caress this place. It's been almost two years since I started here. I'm not the new guy anymore and it's time to start making some waves and shaping this place to suit my needs.

Definitely go for it. Just document everything. Do it all via email. If they face-to-face it send an email summarizing the conversation, bccing an offsite location. Document your due diligence so if the worst does happen you can claim unemployment and attempt to counter their counter-claim.

But while you backbone (and I wouldn't try for a :toxx:, you can only control your own contribution here and not the goals that require an uninterested third party's approval) definitely get the resume out there and actively search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I WANT THE BUNNY!!!!!!

:kimchi: :kimchi:

• Locked thread