Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
warner is the guy who greets you at the door of shitland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

tbp posted:

blatter : i wish that none of my cronies are able to compete with me for FIFA Presidency...

*finger on monkeys paw shrivels up*

lmao

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

dex_sda posted:

US federal courts, I would have thought?

well, right, but there are all sorts of levels and circuits to that, i think

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

thank u 4 legalizing me

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Martinpale posted:

The sticking point for a lot of people is understanding the difference between going after Sepp directly, and what RICO allows for. In this case, all they have to prove is that there was an 'enterprise', in this case FIFA, and that there was an ongoing pattern of racketeering/fraud in that enterprise. Then, as the head of that 'enterprise', Sepp is indictable under RICO statutes. RICO, as has been said a lot here, is pretty much specifically for taking down the heads of criminal enterprises like the mob, where the man in charge makes sure to not directly link himself and insulate himself from what's going on.

The individual federations are members of FIFA, that's all they really need for FIFA to be implicated as a whole.

Yeah, it does seem that a lot of non-Americans in this thread have an understandable lack of knowledge about our DOJ. We might be by turns more incompetent, malicious, greedy, and corrupt than any other nation in world history, but our federal government does not lose court cases. Ever. We don't even bother bringing charges unless we absolutely know we will win.

Especially with RICO. Everyone who has ever even glanced in the direction of these bribes is going to sing, or go down with the ship, or both -- Blatter included.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

As a hypothetical situation: In investigating the World Cup bribes from South Africa, etc. it is discovered that people in FIFA accepted bribes. Sepp has made sure to insulate himself from that process. If they can prove that Sepp benefited IN ANY WAY from those bribes..and by getting bribes, even if he didn't participate, the benefits to FIFA from those bribes in sponsors, government 'co-operation', etc. paid Sepp's salary or what have you..then as the head of FIFA, Sepp's facing a RICO indictment.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Abel Wingnut posted:

what judges or circuits would see these cases?

My guess is SD NY if they are using the "money moving through US banks" as the hook to get jurisdiction here, so it will inevitably end up in the 2nd circuit for a series of circus-like appeals proceedings. Should be a good time boys.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Martinpale posted:

As a hypothetical situation: In investigating the World Cup bribes from South Africa, etc. it is discovered that people in FIFA accepted bribes. Sepp has made sure to insulate himself from that process. If they can prove that Sepp benefited IN ANY WAY from those bribes..and by getting bribes, even if he didn't participate, the benefits to FIFA from those bribes in sponsors, government 'co-operation', etc. paid Sepp's salary or what have you..then as the head of FIFA, Sepp's facing a RICO indictment.
so basically they're just going to threaten to cut the marketing guys dick off and he's going to tell them everything and sepp's hosed...chill

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

straight up brolic posted:

funco and shitland

Funcoland???

We had a big RICO case in Rhode Island 15 years ago -- the mayor of the city, Buddy Cianci, was sent to prison for basically being captain of the corrupt poo poo his underlings were doing, even though the feds couldn't prove he explicitly knew about any of it. So while Blatter being extradited to the US for crimes that Confederation heads like Warner were committing may still be a longshot, it's a real possibility if the evidence is there.

I'm only a casual soccer fan, but even I know how awful FIFA is. Today is a good day

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

so (as i said i know nothing about the law) if you had a company like walmart that owned 10 smaller stores that were part of the walmart family, and two of them lets call them funco and shitland and they were bribing and embezzling and propping up walmart--under no direct order or knowledge from walmart, could the head of walmart be taken down on that evidence alone, despite the fact that they had no evidence regarding the 8 other small stores?

Interesting question. This is something I actually know: most criminal acts that aren't based on negligence have to have a 'mens rea' component in addition to the act itself. This means 'The Guilty Mind', and basically indicates the intent to commit a crime.

For instance, if an incarcerated person was taken hostage during a prison escape, they would not actually be guilty of a crime.

So, in your example, it falls down to whether the walmart head knew about the pattern of fraud/bribery they profitted from. If they were truly oblivious, they cannot be convicted of the crime. If there is any evidence to the contrary - ie. that they knew what was happening in any capacity and didn't stop it - they would become complicit in the crime under RICO.

Now, in the case of FIFA, this is insanely simple. Garcia had the probe, from which a report almost assuredly containing info about corruption has been made. This report was officially handed to FIFA, and nobody in their right mind can doubt that Blatter could have looked at the contents of the unedited report. This would make it pretty simple to argue in court (and win) that he had mens rea in regard to widespread FIFA corruption, nailing him under RICO.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

mods rename Martinpale 'RICO SUAVE'

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe

Rated PG-34 posted:

My biggest contention with all this is if this is the world cup of fraud, why aren't FIFA winning.

Can't get out of the Group of Death

DOJ
FBI
FIFA
IRS

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

railroad terror posted:

Funcoland???

We had a big RICO case in Rhode Island 15 years ago -- the mayor of the city, Buddy Cianci, was sent to prison for basically being captain of the corrupt poo poo his underlings were doing, even though the feds couldn't prove he explicitly knew about any of it. So while Blatter being extradited to the US for crimes that Confederation heads like Warner were committing may still be a longshot, it's a real possibility if the evidence is there.

I'm only a casual soccer fan, but even I know how awful FIFA is. Today is a good day

fyi, Buddy has served as mayor twice, and both times forced out, both times facing jail time, and literally ran for mayor again last year and wasn't that far out of it, he's hilarious and so corrupt

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The six arrested for corruption have already refused their extradition. Wonder how long it'll take the U.S. to write up the extradition orders.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

so basically they're just going to threaten to cut the marketing guys dick off and he's going to tell them everything and sepp's hosed...chill

An even nastier one "By committing these acts, these federations and their heads were able to place themselves in positions of power within FIFA. Sepp won re-election based on votes from these federations. Therefore, Sepp and FIFA benefited from the illegal activity, and Sepp benefited personally from the illegal activity by getting elected."

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

gfanikf posted:

:lol:

They actually mentioned that?

It came up as a question, and the only answer was essentially "it's way too early to say if that would be appropriate."

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Blatter is insanely rich, it's obvious he's profited from that sort of corruption. They have to get him.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So where exactly is Blatter right now? If he's not currently in a nation with an extradition treaty with the United States, will he ever have to step foot in one as part of his duties at FIFA? I presume he cannot act in absentia.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

If the exco members that have been arrested are squealing and they are, they will be going through the evidence and saying "this transfer is for Qatar, this is for these media rights, this one was for copa america and this was for blatters 2011 election". As the one's who've been arrested cleverly channeled their money through US accounts this gives the DOJ juristiction to indict blatter if there is enough evidence. It isn't very complicated but whether or not they do it is another question

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

So where exactly is Blatter right now? If he's not currently in a nation with an extradition treaty with the United States, will he ever have to step foot in one as part of his duties at FIFA? I presume he cannot act in absentia.

Right now he's in Switzerland I think, but after Friday, I don't expect him to set foot on soil he could be extradited from ever again.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The six arrested for corruption have already refused their extradition. Wonder how long it'll take the U.S. to write up the extradition orders.

Had them completed, signed and delivered to the Embassy ready for use the day before, I'd wager, they didn't want another Polanski incident

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

he's almost certainly in switzerland

MagnifiedX
Jan 31, 2003
Atom Splitting Retard
Holy crap, I went to bed somewhere on page 2 after an hour, and we're now near 100. Amazing!

For the main question, I'm hearing reports that defendants have been named on the Swiss side of the charges. Anyone have more details or an English copy of their form of indictment?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Does anyone have the indictment PDF? The DoJ has deleted the press release and all its associated files from their site

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Blatter and Snowden will have such fun conversations

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

MagnifiedX posted:

Holy crap, I went to bed somewhere on page 2 after an hour, and we're now near 100. Amazing!

For the main question, I'm hearing reports that defendants have been named on the Swiss side of the charges. Anyone have more details or an English copy of their form of indictment?

This thread started in September, I'm impressed by your ability to hibernate

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

corn in the fridge posted:

blatter has no chance rico will gently caress him up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbdyJ_ybSI

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Abel Wingnut posted:

well, right, but there are all sorts of levels and circuits to that, i think

At the fed court level there are district courts which are the lower courts, and the circuit courts which are the appellate courts. The case would be filed in a district court.

It depends on where the prosecutor wants to file the case, and where they have personal jurisdiction and correct forum. Given that it is being run out of the US Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York (EDNY), I assume they would file there or maybe in the SDNY.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Total Meatlove posted:

Blatter and Snowden will have such fun conversations

There's plenty of room to establish a new FIFA HQ in Moscow :v:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

MagnifiedX posted:

lmao quoting this so you can't edit out the fact that you pretend to read threads on the internet for no reason

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

This thread started in September, I'm impressed by your ability to hibernate

He went to cook dinner between pg 2 and 100

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Gigi Galli posted:

oh so you gonna switch it on em?

*looks at world cup bids* yeah, Qatar...Qatar is the greatest

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lmao quoting this so you can't edit out the fact that you pretend to read threads on the internet for no reason

There was another thread so maybe he was confused.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

silvergoose posted:

fyi, Buddy has served as mayor twice, and both times forced out, both times facing jail time, and literally ran for mayor again last year and wasn't that far out of it, he's hilarious and so corrupt

Ohhh I'm very familiar with buddy. In fact the more I think about it, the more blatter and buddy seem to have in common...

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://www.facebook.com/DiegoMaradonaOficial/posts/934330713284945

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Does anyone have the indictment PDF? The DoJ has deleted the press release and all its associated files from their site

http://images.businessweek.com/bloomberg/pdfs/FIFAindictment.pdf

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

There was another thread so maybe he was confused.

Given that that thread got closed around page 2...

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

railroad terror posted:

Ohhh I'm very familiar with buddy. In fact the more I think about it, the more blatter and buddy seem to have in common...

No kidding. I went to Brown, and my parents met there while he was in his...uh...first mayoring? They've got some stories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

chuggo is BACK posted:

*looks at world cup bids* yeah, Qatar...Qatar is the greatest

lol