Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Getting the internet to pay for your vacation is Good With Money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Foma posted:

Getting the internet to pay for your vacation is Good With Money

I have to agree; it is incredibly cringeworthy but there is quite clearly a market out there for it, even when the stretch goals are literally "I can have an even longer holiday" and "Maybe you can pay for my fiance too"

So go forth gentlegoons, and report back on your progress on getting your holidays funded!

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Ahhh, this thread may shine some light on why I turn 500 a week income with no accommodation costs into negative 50 ish by the time the next pay comes through.

Spoiler alert. It's because I'm bad with money

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Spiteski posted:

Ahhh, this thread may shine some light on why I turn 500 a week income with no accommodation costs into negative 50 ish by the time the next pay comes through.

Spoiler alert. It's because I'm bad with money

Spoiler alert: start your own thread

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Weatherman posted:

Spoiler alert: start your own thread
I did a while back and had some decent feedback and started fixing some poo poo. But since then everything has changed drastically so it's very much out of date and untouched.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Ah, I guess the principle of spending less than you make has become outdated in that time?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

ohgodwhat posted:

Ah, I guess the principle of spending less than you make has become outdated in that time?

Haven't you heard the age-old saying, "you've gotta break a few eggs to egg your future self's house"?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I had a friend's wife post a Kickstarter begging for money because she wanted to buy a house. This is a woman who has multiple thousands of dollars in tattoos, goes on at least 3 extravagant vacations a year, and was already living in her husband's house. When I say extravagant vacations, I mean things like staying in a goddamned castle in Ireland.

The cherry on top for me is that someone (whom I do not know) posted a picture of her tattoos in the Tasteless Tattoos thread. My wife browses it from time to time and excitedly called me over. The world is such a small place now.

That woman is bad, bad, bad with money.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Zo posted:

Yea not a word of that is anywhere near believable lmao

Totally agree.

I have a few friends that are heavy kickstarter backers - buying $500 worth of Cthulu miniature games and poo poo like that completely sight unseen. I think people get this sort of altruism/venture capitalist kick out of it and then actually (hopefully) end up with a product as well. Which is ok in small quantities but if you can't pay your electric bill because you're busy backing video games that you're not even interested in, seek help.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Barry posted:

Totally agree.

I have a few friends that are heavy kickstarter backers - buying $500 worth of Cthulu miniature games and poo poo like that completely sight unseen. I think people get this sort of altruism/venture capitalist kick out of it and then actually (hopefully) end up with a product as well. Which is ok in small quantities but if you can't pay your electric bill because you're busy backing video games that you're not even interested in, seek help.

The best (or worst) part is that in every single post he (evilmiera) complains about having very little money. I think he believes it to be endearing, but it's just pathetic. Basically the equivalent of someone who kicks a wall real hard with his bare feet and goes, "gosh, I'm going to need my already broken toes treated again, aren't I?"

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Spiteski posted:

I did a while back and had some decent feedback and started fixing some poo poo. But since then everything has changed drastically so it's very much out of date and untouched.

Make another thread.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Bad with money, coworker edition:

Coworker bought a used 2014 VW GTI 6-9 months ago and already traded it in on a new Hemi Charger, after spending 2-3k on modding it and adding a stereo.

I'm sure he rolled the underwater portion of the GTI into the new loan but ya know, low interest rates are better than paying for your daughter or son to go to college, right?

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
Good with money: This weekend I saw a early 2000s Honda Odyssey mini-van with a BMW "M" badge on it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
//Mom

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Assuming he actually earned that much and was stupid enough to have that series of events follow, it isn't unthinkable that he left he safety on. Or perhaps it was a dud bullet.

Glock doesn't have a traditional safety.

His story is total horseshit. A Glock goes *bang* very nearly 100% of the time you pull the trigger, almost as reliably as a loving revolver. He's a liar.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
WTH kind of goals does a "send me on vacation" kickstarter have, and how can I get in on a "pay my tax bill" one?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Beerdeer posted:

WTH kind of goals does a "send me on vacation" kickstarter have, and how can I get in on a "pay my tax bill" one?

Are you an attractive female? Or a female of any sort, really

If not you better be a charismatic guy with a legion of followers

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

triplexpac posted:

Well, poo poo

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

triplexpac posted:

Pretty much the summary of this. A lot of men will pay money for attention from women. Men spending money on women they've never met is bad with money and too common. Have a look at the donations given to female streamers on Twitch.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

triplexpac posted:

Nah I promised not to start any more cults.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A good article about being an Uber driver
http://citypaper.net/uberdriver/

A hilarious comment from a bad with money driver (aren't they all?)

I am so tired of reading about all the people whining about Uber pay and tactics. If you dont like it, then dont do it!!! i signed on as a driver in Dallas Texas. I just moved here and am trying to remodel a house to flip on the market in the next couple of weeks. I needed some income...(I normally work in Supply Chain Middle management, but needed time to get this house done.) Uber has been perfect for me! How many other jobs do you work whenever you want and however long you want as is convenient to you. You know what I think...if you dont like their pay structure, then dont do it!!! They have absolutely to the letter done exactly what they stated when I hired on. I dont like the 20% and think its a bit high, and lord knows I dont like the wear and tear on my vehicle which is a Hummer by the way...not the cheapest on upkeep, but this has been a lifesaver for me. When I needed some income while working on the house, this is what has paid my bills. I know of no other job that would give me this flexibility and still pay bills. I have been driving for Uber for about 6 weeks now, and am doing about 40 hours a week after working on the house every morning. I am able to start driving in a busy area at approximately 3pm and work as long as I want. I started a spreadsheet to calculate my expenses and have good accurate information for a 5 week period now. I average about $17.00 an hour in Dallas texas, 5 to 6 days a week., but more important to me is the numbers by Mlileage. I am averaging between $.65 and $0.80 per mile. The current government rate, which I have always found pretty generous, is currently $0.56 per mile which covers gas and wear and tear in theory. I am making money! and even if i was a lot closer to the government number, this has still been a lifesaver to me. I needed income right now, and what other job am I going to get that gives me the flexibility needed to do what I need to do????? Fast Food??? really???? at minimum wage and the mercy of their schedule???? I am 47 years old and that aint happening! Ifanyone out there plans on making this the career they retire from then they are fools. I have had nothing but great experiences with my riders, including wonderful conversation and tips as well. If you are not getting tips, then I believe that is your own fault. Doesnt anyone remember when you actually had to work for your pay? Again, if you dont like the structure or tactics of the company....then dont work for them!! This is free market capitalism at its best. Go work for Mcdonalds or Walmart and see how you like that one! This has been the perfect opportunity to give me the temporary consistent income I needed while having another personal project going at the same time.They offer their incentives(guarantees) and I have taken advantage of every one of them...They have paid and done EXACTLY what they said they were going to do. Again, If I didnt like the terms, then I can choose something else. So quit whining and do your job or quit and see if you can find something better. They are a company with the goal of making a profit.... Isnt this still America?There is no shortage of jobs In this country, just an abundance of people that feel entitled to more than the market demands….at least in Texas that is true. In conclusion, I am gratefull for the opportunity Uber has given me to still make some income on my own schedule for a period of time that I needed it. I am now beginning to job hunt in my real field, and in appreciation and practicality will use Uber as a rider whenever I get the chance.

:laugh:
"The $0.56/mile gas/maintenance/depreciation government recommended reimbursement is overstated! Especially when you drive a Hummer"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

canyoneer posted:

"The $0.56/mile gas/maintenance/depreciation government recommended reimbursement is overstated! Especially when you drive a Hummer"
Something tells me that he hasn't had to do any major maintainence on his overdriven Hummer yet. Or he's been putting it off because he thinks the mechanic/his car manual is exaggerating how often it needs to be done.

The article itself is a nice overview of what I've been saying all along: Uber is good for riders, but bad for drivers. And most of the ways they're "disruptive" come from shifting costs away from themselves.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

canyoneer posted:

If you are not getting tips, then I believe that is your own fault. Doesnt anyone remember when you actually had to work for your pay? Again, if you dont like the structure or tactics of the company....then dont work for them!! This is free market capitalism at its best. Go work for Mcdonalds or Walmart and see how you like that one! This has been the perfect opportunity to give me the temporary consistent income I needed while having another personal project going at the same time.They offer their incentives(guarantees) and I have taken advantage of every one of them...They have paid and done EXACTLY what they said they were going to do. Again, If I didnt like the terms, then I can choose something else. So quit whining and do your job or quit and see if you can find something better. They are a company with the goal of making a profit.... Isnt this still America?There is no shortage of jobs In this country, just an abundance of people that feel entitled to more than the market demands….at least in Texas that is true. In conclusion, I am gratefull for the opportunity Uber has given me to still make some income on my own schedule for a period of time that I needed it. I am now beginning to job hunt in my real field, and in appreciation and practicality will use Uber as a rider whenever I get the chance.[/i]

:argh::argh::argh::argh: MILLENIALLLLLLLLLLLLS :argh::argh::argh::argh:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
The opening to that article-- pre-nup, good with money.

I get that they're distasteful, but also pragmatic. I also get that the person asking another to sign it is likely more of a shitbag on average than the usual person. Does anybody work drafting these? How often does one party try to give themselves outs early on in the marriage or gently caress the other party financially should the marriage not work out? The only time I've ever been faced with one was pretty reasonable-- I had few assets as young people typically do, and the woman had high six, low seven figures of assets between a family company and financial instruments that typically come with wealth and a family trying to dodge the estate tax. We never got far enough to pound out the details, but I was generally supportive of her desire to protect those things.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I think that's the standard reason to have a prenup. Protect pre-existing assets between spouses with very different amounts of assets. It's pretty distasteful to try to give oneself early outs or whatever from money earned during the marriage (or try to disavow alimony), IMO. Some people also put ridiculous poo poo like "weight must remain below 120 pounds" or whatever, but I don't think that's very standard.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Depending on where you live you often don't need a pre-nup to protect pre-existing assets anyways. And a pre-nup wont allow you to make arrangements regarding common property or shared assets anyways since divorce law will trump any pre-nup. So basically it is generally more of a memorandum of understanding in most places.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Evil Robot posted:

Some people also put ridiculous poo poo like "weight must remain below 120 pounds" or whatever, but I don't think that's very standard.

Keeping your wife from eating 6000 calories a day is good with money, though.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

cowofwar posted:

Depending on where you live you often don't need a pre-nup to protect pre-existing assets anyways. And a pre-nup wont allow you to make arrangements regarding common property or shared assets anyways since divorce law will trump any pre-nup. So basically it is generally more of a memorandum of understanding in most places.

This is true in California at least. I talked to several people including an attorney and they all basically said a prenup was pointless in california. I am the opposite of Blinkman987. I was the one with significant assets prior to marriage and asked her for a prenup. Basically everyone told us that as long as I don't mix income during marriage and income from premarital assets, they are protected in a divorce. Also it's best practice to disclose all your assets and liabilities prior to marriage.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

lostleaf posted:

This is true in California at least. I talked to several people including an attorney and they all basically said a prenup was pointless in california. I am the opposite of Blinkman987. I was the one with significant assets prior to marriage and asked her for a prenup. Basically everyone told us that as long as I don't mix income during marriage and income from premarital assets, they are protected in a divorce. Also it's best practice to disclose all your assets and liabilities prior to marriage.
There is a show called "until debt to us part" and it's hilarious how many people get married without knowing anything about their partner's financial situation.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
How about a good with money for once?

http://mic.com/articles/118380/this...&mbid=social_fb

quote:

High school senior Ronald Nelson had a pretty enviable decision to make during college admission season this year.

The star student of Houston High School in Memphis, Tennessee, scored entry into all eight of America's prestigious Ivy League schools. Nelson was certainly qualified, graduating with a 4.58 weighted GPA, a 2260 out of 2400 SAT score and 15 AP classes. He was also a national merit scholar and president of his high school class, Business Insider reports, along with being a state-recognized alto saxophone player.

Nelson, however, decided to forgo the big-name schools in favor of the University of Alabama. The reason, he said, came down to cost. While the big-name schools all offered Nelson some form of aid, none of it was remotely close to what he needed to get through all four years without taking loans. Alabama, in contrast, offered Nelson a full ride to the school as well as entry into the university's prestigious honors programs.

"With people being in debt for years and years, it wasn't a burden that Ronald wanted to take on and it wasn't a burden that we wanted to deal with for a number of years after undergraduate," Nelson's father, Ronald Sr., told Business Insider. Instead, the family is eager to save resources for the even more crippling costs of medical school, which Ronald plans to attend down the road.

He may choose a prestigious medical school instead, which I'd wager is much more helpful than a prestigious undergrad.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Yep definitely GWM because he'll get into every great med school without having undergraduate debt and where you go to med school matters far less for your future income anyways.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yep definitely GWM because he'll get into every great med school without having undergraduate debt and where you go to med school matters far less for your future income anyways.

Just checking, did you mean "matters far more" there?

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

AFAIK, it matters more what you specialize in. Med school sure as hell matters getting your residency. My sister went to Ross University which is pretty much a joke but she graduated, got a job as an OB/GYN and was pulling over 400k. It's a bet less now after leaving a practice but still considerable.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Weatherman posted:

Just checking, did you mean "matters far more" there?

No... How much you get paid for doing a particular service does not depend upon where you went to medical school. Choice of specialty is the most important factor and where you do your residency and medical school will definitely open extra doors for you in that regard, but it's common for Doctor A graduate of Harvard trained at Mass General to practice in the same group as Doctor B graduate of no name medical school trained at county hospital and make exactly the same money. In summary, all things being equal prestigious training is great to have in medicine, but even doctors in less competitive fields like OB/GYN who graduated from a third tier offshore school like Ross can make $400,000 apparently.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

canyoneer posted:

I am so tired of reading about all the people whining about Uber pay and tactics. ... I have had nothing but great experiences with my riders, including wonderful conversation and tips as well.

Wait, I thought you didn't tip Uber drivers? Have I been an rear end in a top hat this whole time?

Although I guess that's good with money

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

canyoneer posted:

A good article about being an Uber driver
http://citypaper.net/uberdriver/

A hilarious comment from a bad with money driver (aren't they all?)

I am so tired of reading about all the people whining about Uber pay and tactics. If you dont like it, then dont do it!!! i signed on as a driver in Dallas Texas. I just moved here and am trying to remodel a house to flip on the market in the next couple of weeks. I needed some income...(I normally work in Supply Chain Middle management, but needed time to get this house done.) Uber has been perfect for me! How many other jobs do you work whenever you want and however long you want as is convenient to you. You know what I think...if you dont like their pay structure, then dont do it!!! They have absolutely to the letter done exactly what they stated when I hired on. I dont like the 20% and think its a bit high, and lord knows I dont like the wear and tear on my vehicle which is a Hummer by the way...not the cheapest on upkeep, but this has been a lifesaver for me. When I needed some income while working on the house, this is what has paid my bills. I know of no other job that would give me this flexibility and still pay bills. I have been driving for Uber for about 6 weeks now, and am doing about 40 hours a week after working on the house every morning. I am able to start driving in a busy area at approximately 3pm and work as long as I want. I started a spreadsheet to calculate my expenses and have good accurate information for a 5 week period now. I average about $17.00 an hour in Dallas texas, 5 to 6 days a week., but more important to me is the numbers by Mlileage. I am averaging between $.65 and $0.80 per mile. The current government rate, which I have always found pretty generous, is currently $0.56 per mile which covers gas and wear and tear in theory. I am making money! and even if i was a lot closer to the government number, this has still been a lifesaver to me. I needed income right now, and what other job am I going to get that gives me the flexibility needed to do what I need to do????? Fast Food??? really???? at minimum wage and the mercy of their schedule???? I am 47 years old and that aint happening! Ifanyone out there plans on making this the career they retire from then they are fools. I have had nothing but great experiences with my riders, including wonderful conversation and tips as well. If you are not getting tips, then I believe that is your own fault. Doesnt anyone remember when you actually had to work for your pay? Again, if you dont like the structure or tactics of the company....then dont work for them!! This is free market capitalism at its best. Go work for Mcdonalds or Walmart and see how you like that one! This has been the perfect opportunity to give me the temporary consistent income I needed while having another personal project going at the same time.They offer their incentives(guarantees) and I have taken advantage of every one of them...They have paid and done EXACTLY what they said they were going to do. Again, If I didnt like the terms, then I can choose something else. So quit whining and do your job or quit and see if you can find something better. They are a company with the goal of making a profit.... Isnt this still America?There is no shortage of jobs In this country, just an abundance of people that feel entitled to more than the market demands….at least in Texas that is true. In conclusion, I am gratefull for the opportunity Uber has given me to still make some income on my own schedule for a period of time that I needed it. I am now beginning to job hunt in my real field, and in appreciation and practicality will use Uber as a rider whenever I get the chance.

:laugh:

There's something about Uber and Lyft that attracts BWM types.

I got a Lyft ride from the airport a couple of weeks ago. The guy was riding a brand new and fully loaded Subaru Impreza. We started chatting and I asked what made him become a driver. He said he's doing it for his newborn son's slush fund. You know, have a little extra income to pay for the little one's expenses, that sort of thing.

Try to wrap your mind around that for a second.

I can actually imagine what must have been going through his head. "My car payments are X dollars per month, so as long as I make more than that, I'm good!"

We then started talking about houses (he was in real estate or some poo poo), and I told him I'm building my credit and might be buying one in a few years. He said, "the best way to build credit is to keep a balance. Never pay it off fully!" He then gave me his card and told me to contact him when I start looking. :lol:

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

We then started talking about houses (he was in real estate or some poo poo), and I told him I'm building my credit and might be buying one in a few years. He said, "the best way to build credit is to keep a balance. Never pay it off fully!" He then gave me his card and told me to contact him when I start looking. :lol:

Read this as horses, got excited about horse equity and how this guy moonlights as a horse dealer, was disappointed upon realising my error.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Never pay off a horse fully!!

No loving poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

ohgodwhat posted:

Wait, I thought you didn't tip Uber drivers? Have I been an rear end in a top hat this whole time?

Although I guess that's good with money
You tip them. At least I do. Same with tow truck drivers and all service workers...

Tamarillo posted:

Read this as horses, got excited about horse equity and how this guy moonlights as a horse dealer, was disappointed upon realising my error.
Same!! We must be spending too much time in this thread.

• Locked thread