Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Tournay has been a big hit for my wife and I. We both agreed that building your district feels a lot like Suburbia but a little lighter. Neither of us have really built an engine yet either because we're not great at the game yet or because it plays so fast with two players. It's a mad scramble to lay down nine cards. Maybe engine building was overstated in the reviews. The artwork is lovely. It's a great pick up for $25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

FingersMaloy posted:

Tournay has been a big hit for my wife and I. We both agreed that building your district feels a lot like Suburbia but a little lighter. Neither of us have really built an engine yet either because we're not great at the game yet or because it plays so fast with two players. It's a mad scramble to lay down nine cards. Maybe engine building was overstated in the reviews. The artwork is lovely. It's a great pick up for $25.

A better player would beat you by having a good engine vs. you just laying down 9 cards. It's like Race for the Galaxy in that regard. Just because you get to 12 cards first doesn't mean you win, and if you just poo poo a card or two every turn doesn't mean you'll win.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Yeah, I guess we haven't figured out the finer points yet, but we're having a great time with it.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

FingersMaloy posted:

Yeah, I guess we haven't figured out the finer points yet, but we're having a great time with it.

I'm not trying to say "lol ur poo poo" just saying that there is more there than what you've found so far.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Can anyone tell me about Tsuro? My wife and I keep seeing it at stores and whatnot, and she rather likes the cover because it's got "a pretty dragon on the front", but I don't know a drat thing about it, and she keeps bugging me to ask.

So, here I am. Good, bad, mediocre, offensively awful, Munchkin, hit me with it.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

Trasson posted:

Can anyone tell me about Tsuro? My wife and I keep seeing it at stores and whatnot, and she rather likes the cover because it's got "a pretty dragon on the front", but I don't know a drat thing about it, and she keeps bugging me to ask.

So, here I am. Good, bad, mediocre, offensively awful, Munchkin, hit me with it.

It's really pretty but there isn't much to it. Tsuro of the Seas improves on it and makes you sailors that can be eaten by dragons instead of being dragons. It's not awful but it's super light and I don't know how many plays people really get out of it (it's not my sort of game so maybe someone else who likes this sort of thing could respond).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
"that's the one with the dragons that's like the one with the castle's and fields, right?"

My wife, comparing Tsuro to Carcassonne. It's alright, a good gateway game or light game that can be played quickly. Tsuro of the Seas is a bit better.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tsuro would be an excellent minigame in a larger, better game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Trasson posted:

It is a super silly light game that is pretty overpriced for the experience. If it were like $10 or something yeah sure whatever, but for $25 I'd want something a bit more substantive, even something like Carcassonne.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

EvilChameleon posted:

It's really pretty but there isn't much to it. Tsuro of the Seas improves on it and makes you sailors that can be eaten by dragons instead of being dragons. It's not awful but it's super light and I don't know how many plays people really get out of it (it's not my sort of game so maybe someone else who likes this sort of thing could respond).

I'm on the other side of this. I feel that Tsuro is a quick, elegant little game that scales well and can be learned by the widest variety of people. Tsuro of the Seas is a dumb luckfest that needlessly complicates the original, better, concept.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Big McHuge posted:

I'm on the other side of this. I feel that Tsuro is a quick, elegant little game that scales well and can be learned by the widest variety of people. Tsuro of the Seas is a dumb luckfest that needlessly complicates the original, better, concept.

Tsuro of the Seas might be good for children? Tsuro is too, though, and Tsuro of the Seas is not good for adults.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Big McHuge posted:

Can't you just play Tsuro of the Seas without all the extra crap, effectively making it the original?

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
I would get Tsuro if it weren't so much money for what it is. I like it, it'd be a fine thing to pull out to kill just a little bit of time, but at that cost I'll just stick to Love Letter for my emergency quick game.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Played Terra Mystica 3 more times this weekend, fun times. Nice to play a heavy euro that isn't another (strictly) worker placement and has asymmetrical sides. The interaction is limited but interesting. Although there is some real potential to stuff someone early on.

I wonder what people would consider the most similar games to Terra Mystica. Maybe economic games with a bunch of interconnected systems and a map of some sort? Most worker placement games don't feature an income without it being the result of your action selection so they feel different to me. It would need to feature a few currencies and a lot of goods processing, too.

Madeira, imo, has some DNA ties to Terra Mystica, although it's hard to break them down exactly. It's definitely an economic game with a bunch of interconnected systems and a map, as you ask. Your income *is* largely due to your action selection (which, imo, is also mainly true in TM) but, like in TM, you will have an assortment of bonuses to choose from each time you pass rather than opt to take further actions and those bonuses will provide you with additional opportunities/income and will also give you an opportunity to determine which victory conditions you'll be selecting to score for yourself next round.

I think it's one of the finest games I've ever played and I learned it this year around the same time as Terra Mystica -- I doubt there's any relationship between the design teams that causes the two to be intertwined, but I know that both games fire the same cylinders in my brain. Highly recommend (as I love both).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Metro is a much better implementation of what Tsuro is trying to do.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Big McHuge posted:

Yeah, I like Tsuro every so often and the dragons in Seas just suck all the fun out of it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love Galaxy Trucker, and the app is amazing. Some of the dialogue is hilarious.

However, now that all my buddies have the app, no one wants to play the actual game. This makes me sad. Maybe I'll buy the other big expansion to entice them back to the table.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

However, now that all my buddies have the app, no one wants to play the actual game. This makes me sad. Maybe I'll buy the other big expansion to entice them back to the table.

Boarders are really, really funny because of the way they can swiss-cheese your ship, so I recommend this a lot.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I got Tsuro on a con for around 15 dollars (I bought it with Danish moon monies) because the box was damaged. It's a fun filler that plays up to 8 people, but it has very little depth. I'm glad I have it, but I would not recommend getting it for more than 15 dollars.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Kemet to 10 points honestly feels like just a bit too much. Man that game was exhausting.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Looking forward to some gaming tonight, going to crack out Homeland and see if it's a worthy replacement for BSG. We'll see how it goes. Getting a serious hankering for some more COIN action as well, only managed to break FiTL out once with other people, which is something that needs to be rectified soon.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
My parents agreed to learning San Juan tonight, I think they'll like it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I like Tsuro and I like that it has some cool maths behind it too (the tiles are all 35 possible tiles up to rotation but not reflection). It plays in about 10 minutes, if not less. It plays up to 8, so it's good if you have more people than Love Letter can play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of small and fast games, is the Coup expansion better for big groups or is it still good for say 2-4 players? It's become my go to pub/coffee shop game and people get into it quick, so I was curious about the add-on.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of small and fast games, is the Coup expansion better for big groups or is it still good for say 2-4 players? It's become my go to pub/coffee shop game and people get into it quick, so I was curious about the add-on.

The Coup expansion has three independent parts.

• Factions: Each player is part of the Reformer or Loyalist faction. As long as there are still players of both factions, you are not allowed to Coup, steal, etc. against people on the same side as you. When all remaining players are the same, the game is as normal.

There are three new actions. Instead of doing a normal action you can spend $1 to switch sides, or you can spend $2 to make a target opponent switch sides. All this money goes into a separate pool: a player may claim not to have a Duke, in order to take all this money.

The factions are a fantastic addition to the game, but only if you have 4+ players. (With 2 it makes no difference at all; with 3 I think it's just too tough to start out outnumbered 2-to-1.) It allows some really fun tactics; it softens the blow of getting hurt early if you can play the stronger players against each other; it gives you a nice quiet move when you don't want to become a target. The non-Duke action isn't a huge change all in all, but if you're the sort of person that complains about Dukes being too strong, then it can't hurt.

• The Inquisitor: a new card that replaces Ambassador. It allows two possible actions. One is "Same as Ambassador, but only look at one card from the deck." The other is "Choose an opponent, that opponent chooses one of their Influence cards for you to look at. You can either force them to draw a new one, or let them keep it, and now you know what it is." Some people find this horrible and game-ruining. I think the hate's a little overblown, but it can be lovely when your opponent knows your only card and they sort of have you by the balls.
  • Extra cards so you can play with up to 10 players. Obviously doesn't help in your situation, and really it's not so hot anyway. I started with two Dukes, oh wait there are three more Dukes floating around, so I still don't know anything. The early game becomes a huge luckfest, you just have to hope you survive until it becomes a normal game.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 27, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

So I guess UDE made some further announcements on the VS system living card game re-release.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19340768#19340768

quote:

Welcome to the second part of Upper Deck’s Introduction to Vs. System 2PCG! Today we are going to be looking at some of the things that have changed in Vs. System 2PCG from the original Vs. System TCG. To describe those changes and to provide some insight into the design and development process, we’ve asked Vs. System 2PCG lead designer Danny Mandel to give you a brief walkthrough. Whether you’re a Vs. System veteran looking to return to the game, someone who always wanted to get into Vs. System but felt intimidated or excluded, or maybe even someone who’s never heard of Vs. System and wants to know more about it, this article should serve as a decent primer for how Vs. System 2PCG will play. The battles start soon, so get ready – Vs. System 2PCG launches this summer at Gen Con 2015!

Hi Everyone,

This is Danny Mandel, the lead game designer for the relaunch of the Vs. System. A lot of people have been wondering what changes have been made to the game, so here goes…

BACKSTORY
Here’s a little background on who I am and how this project came to be. (Feel free to skip ahead and get to the good stuff!)

Way back in 2003 I was one of the four main designers on the original Vs. System TCG (along with Mike Hummel, Matt Hyra, and Ed Fear). I worked on Vs. System for a couple years, and then went on to work on other games at Upper Deck (most notably the World of Warcraft TCG). Then I went into video games for a while before starting a tiny design studio (Super Awesome Games) with Ben Cichoski, another Upper Deck alum.

When our old friend Jason Brenner pinged us a couple years ago about working together, we leaped at the chance. Our first game for Upper Deck was Legendary Encounters: An ALIEN Deck Building Game (which was based off of Devin Low’s excellent Legendary: A MARVEL Deck Building Game).

After that Jason talked to us about bringing back the Vs. System…

GOALS
We had several great discussions about the game with Jason. We discussed game design, collectability, organized play and more. We talked about which factors led to the early explosion and growth of Vs. System and which led to its eventual demise. We discussed the market and how the world of games and game design is different in 2015 from what it was in 2004 (when Marvel Origins released).

Lots of thought went into this relaunch, but for today I’m going to focus on game design. When we discussed the design with Jason, we all kept coming back to one point: accessibility.

Despite all of the original Vs. System’s great qualities, it was a relatively inaccessible game. It had lots of basic rules to learn, like how formations work, stun+breakthrough endurance loss, flipping up Plot Twists or playing them from hand, resource costs and threshold costs, team attacks and reinforcement, one free recovery, etc.

It was also challenging to play the game (let alone play well) since there were so many things to consider (especially the formation step, checking your face downs again and again, and going down various attack option mental flow charts). And because the game was challenging, this often led to slower turns and longer games, meaning that even choosing to play required commitment.

I should stop right here for a moment and make something clear. When I say that the original game was hard, I don’t mean that it was hard for everyone. But it was hard for enough players — and too hard for many potential players — that it hurt the overall lifespan of the game.

So the goal for the new Vs. System was to find ways to make the game more inviting to as large an audience as possible, while retaining the core mechanics that made original Vs. System so great in the first place.

PROCESS
We started off by looking at the game from every angle, and we put everything on the table. We discussed which aspects of the game engine were the most iconic and which were the most superfluous. We looked at each game rule to see which ones were carrying their weight. It’s our opinion that in game design, the fewer rules the better both in terms of accessibility and elegance. This is especially true in games like Vs. System where there are so many rules on the cards themselves.

We examined small issues (like whether it was worth having threshold costs at all), big issues (like slow formation steps), structural issues (like how the steep character curve magnifies the importance of hitting your drops), and subtle issues (like wanting to up the potential for drama or meaningful decisions during the first few turns).

In the end we essentially took the game apart and put it back together in a more streamlined, faster-playing package. The new game has the same DNA as the old game, but as you’ll see, many of its systems have been updated.

WHAT’S THE SAME
Before I dive into the changes, here’s a quick rundown of what’s pretty much the same:

Each player has a Front Row, Back Row, and Resource Row. (The Back Row used to be called the Support Row.)
You draw two cards per turn.
You can play any card as a Resource, but some cards do special stuff in the Resource Row.
You can rearrange your characters during your Formation Step.
Characters direct attack each other and get stunned (and KO’d).
Many characters have Flight and/or Range.
There are Team Attacks.
Characters are Unique and there are Power-Ups.
There are Plot Twists (but they work a little differently).
There are Locations (but they work a lot differently).
WHAT’S DIFFERENT
Disclaimer #1: It may be hard to visualize the impact of some of these changes before you’ve had a chance to actually play the game.

Disclaimer #2: For now I only have time to explain the changes. If there’s interest, I can dive into the reasoning behind each change later on.

Here are the major differences between original Vs. System and the new Vs. System 2PCG:

WOUNDS INSTEAD OF ENDURANCE

Characters have a new stat called “Health.” When a character gets stunned, instead of taking stun or breakthrough damage, it gains a wound. If it takes too many wounds, it gets KO’d.

Many Characters only have 1 Health so they get KO’d immediately when stunned. This means it is important to protect them, or at least make sure they do a lot before they get taken out.

MAIN CHARACTERS

Each player starts with a “Main Character” in play who works just like regular Characters (called Supporting Characters), except when your Main Character gets KO’d you’re out of the game. Most Main Characters have 5 or 6 Health.

There’s lots to say about Main Characters (like how the box comes with 16 different ones, and that they make a great deck-building hook, especially for new players), but one thing I really want to cover is that unlike in most games where you have a Hero or Avatar, in Vs. System 2PCG your Main Character works exactly like your Supporting Characters: It has ATK and DEF, and some have Flight or Range. It goes in your Front or Back row and you can move it during your Formation Step. It can attack, team attack and fights in combat just like any other Character.

However, there are two major differences: 1) A handful of effects refer to Main Characters specifically. 2) Each Main Character has a Level 1 and a Level 2 version. You start with the Level 1 version, and during the game you can make plays to earn XP and level it up, making it more powerful and unlocking a new Super Power. Each Main Character levels up in a different way (Captain America likes Team Attacks, Thanos wants to KO characters, Loki likes Plot Twists, etc.), so during the game in addition to trying to shore up your board presence or get wounds onto your opponent’s Main Character, you’ll have the additional goal of leveling up your Main Character while attempting to prevent your opponent from doing the same.

FULL RECOVERY

During the Recovery Phase, all of your stunned characters (including your Main Character) will recover.

SIMPLER ROWS AND FASTER FORMATIONS

In original Vs. System, you would place some characters in your Front Row and some in your Back Row, and then decide who was protecting whom. In Vs. System 2PCG, all that matters is who’s in the Front and who’s in the Back. If there’s anyone face up in the Front then all characters in the Back are protected.

This change affects many things about the gameplay, but the big ones are: It dramatically speeds up the Formation Step; it makes Back Row characters easier to protect; it increases the value of Ranged and Flying characters (Ranged characters’ foes only get to strike back if they also have range, and Flying characters can attack the Back Row). There are also more subtle implications such as increasing the importance of team attacks, but you’ll figure all that out when you play.

INDIVIDUAL TURNS AND NEW TIMING SYSTEM

In Vs. System 2PCG, each player takes his or her own turn. There are several reasons we ended up moving away from the shared turn (too many and too intricate to dive into them now), but one simple reason is that individual turns speed up the game a ton.

The turn sequence is now:

Draw Phase: Draw two cards.
Recovery Phase: Recover and Ready all of your Characters.
Build Phase: Play a Resource, Recruit Characters, Rearrange your Formation.
Main Phase: Start any number of Combats, one at a time.
During your turn, your opponent can only play Plot Twists or use powers during Combat (this change also ups the pace of play). Each Plot Twist and Super Power states during which Phase it may be used, or if you can use it during Combat.

REVAMPED RESOURCE SYSTEM AND SUPER POWERS

You can still play any card face down as a resource, but the way Plot Twists and Locations work is different. Plot Twists are now only played from your hand. Locations enter play face up and rather than having their own powers, they are “spent” (turned face down) to activate Super Powers, which are powerful effects found on Main Characters and some Supporting Characters.

‘NUFF SAID
Those are all of the major mechanics of the new Vs. System. There are minor details (like exactly how Main Characters level up and what the mulligan rule is), and there are some things you’ll feel rather than see (like how the flatter character stat curve takes pressure off of always hitting your drop on curve, and how you might actually play a Plot Twist on turn 1 to turn a combat your way). But I imagine it’ll be easier to understand everything once you have the cards in your hands.

Before I go I should say one more thing. I realize that some of you may feel that the new game simply isn’t Vs. System anymore. I certainly can’t argue with anyone’s opinion. All I can say is that, in making this product, we took the things we loved about original Vs. System and tried to make them even better.

I've only played this via the pc and ds games, but I thought it was pretty great. There were some super broken cards but since I wasn't really playing in a competitive meta that didn't bother me.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Mojo Jojo posted:

Anybody have any 2-player recommendations? Beyond Twilight Struggle, which is out of print and sadly not lying around somewhere in the poorly laid out boardgame stacks of my unfriendly local game store.

We play lot of Race for the Galaxy, so we're open for wafer-thin theme, but I think we'd like something at the polar opposite end of that.

Netrunner is something that we both enjoyed, but neither of us want to bother with deck building, which sort of killed that.
Innovation is amazing with 2.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

James The 1st posted:

Innovation is amazing with 2.

Innovation is kinda crap with any. Why do you say it's amazing?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Because I've played around 200 times 2 player. It's pretty quick and has a good balance between having skill and being a short dumb filler card game.
There's a definite random element as it's a card game, but there is a lot more skill than at first glance. I will say that there's a pretty big learning curve as the strategy only becomes clear when one learns what most of the cards are. A big part to being able to play well is figuring out when to push your scoring advantage or start working on getting to the higher techs. You also need to watch how your icons compare to the other guys's icons and not fall behind.

You are right though that Innovation is trash with more than two.
Also don't bother with any of the expansions unless you've played the game a lot.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 27, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

silvergoose posted:

Innovation is definitely a polarizing game. At more than 2, there is literally no way to plan your turns. Don't try, and don't play it with more than 2.

At 2, the game has a ton of strategic depth. I know, I know. The game seems totally random: the cards aren't really balanced, and it's technically a shared deck, so there's two strikes against it.

I don't think there's actually a third strike, though. There are a number of different strategies for getting out of Age 1; a number of Age 1 and Age 2 cards can shut down Age 7 and later cards. It's the mid-game that gets wonky, but even then, the powerhouses of Coal and Canning are pretty easily shut down by Banking (and a couple other cards, but those are the big ones).

There is a lot of deck memorization required, though. Like I said, definitely two strikes, and maybe a third if you don't like this style of design.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective: Played some more of this on a trip - it's rare you get a game that's good to play in a car (including the driver) - so that's something. It continues to be a mix of fun mystery solving... and some frustratingly bad decisions and implementation.

Colt Express: Just played one game so far, but it seems really good. It's very simple and plays fast, but there's room for a bit of strategy and a lot of shenanigans. You take turns programming your actions face up (the cards are player specific and are played into a shared deck that you then just flip over and resolve - it's quite elegant in practice) - but you don't program very far, and you have discretion during resolution (ie. you have to move, but you can choose which way to move or who to punch or whatever). Sometimes the round card also has tunnels, meaning you play your card that action face down, or bridges where you play two cards at once. Overall, it works out that you don't have to strain very hard thinking out where people are (often you won't know), but you still have a reasonable amount of agency. There's little player powers for each character that are appropriately thematic - and between that and the different round cards (some of which have little "events") I feel like there's enough variety to support a reasonable number of plays.

The little train is great, as are the little cactuses and what not. The art is not great, but doesn't - I don't think - dip into Sentinels territory where it becomes a distraction. Not a terribly deep game - but I'll definitely play this a few times with my regular group, then get a few more plays out of it with my kids.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I picked up one of Victory Point's new games, Frontier Stations. It's a pretty solid co-op.

The general idea is that you and your other players are all running a network of frontier stations (naturally). On your turn, you roll a die for your energy and to activation station locations and threats. Station locations generate resources when they have a number come up, threats consume them. You can use the rolled energy to buy new locations, upgrade existing locations, or put it into removing threats from play. There's a balancing act between getting locations that will get you more stuff to work with later and risking losing stuff you don't have as much of to threats. If you ever can't spend a threat's consumed resource, everyone loses.

There's a threat area in between each player that only those two players can spend resources on or against. A new threat is added to your left threat area at the end of each of your turns, so they add up quickly. Once you get halfway through the stack of 'early' threats, you start drawing 'late' threats and rolling 2d6, changing the probability of locations and threats. That 11-12 Politics threat card you drew on turn 1 and ignored is now much scarier.

My group really enjoyed it. Play is pretty smooth and there's a lot of tough decisions to be made. I was a bit worried the dice were going to be too swingy, but they really exist to give threats and locations weight in your decisions based on how frequently the numbers will come up. That location that activates on a 1 or 2 is great early, but really unlikely to be used for more than stored resources by the end.

Definitely worth checking out. I mean, we lost with like 5 threats left, but we still had a good time.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 27, 2015

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Big McHuge posted:

I agree that Tsuro of the Seas is definitely mostly luck, but we've had a lot of fun with it partly due to two house rules. First, even if you're out you still get to move the dragons like you would have during your turn. Keeps people less bored while waiting for the round to end. Second, while a single boat crashing into a dragon will still be killed as per normal, if two boats would hit it, the dragon is killed instead. We called it 'friendship mode' and its more fun because you get people trying to group up together to kill the dragons instead of just trying to get as far away as possible, and sometimes they would even plan together to make it happen. Make for one of those 'cheer and high five' moments instead.

I still would only get it on sale, but depending on the group there is fun to be had.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Innovation plays like a version of Fluxx that was never playtested. Don't play it.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Magnetic North posted:

Innovation plays like a version of Fluxx that was never playtested. Don't play it.

As soon as you explain to me how you can consistently win at Fluxx, I'll believe what you said here.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

OmegaGoo posted:

As soon as you explain to me how you can consistently win at Fluxx, I'll believe what you said here.

A strange game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OmegaGoo posted:

Innovation is definitely a polarizing game. At more than 2, there is literally no way to plan your turns. Don't try, and don't play it with more than 2.

At 2, the game has a ton of strategic depth. I know, I know. The game seems totally random: the cards aren't really balanced, and it's technically a shared deck, so there's two strikes against it.

I don't think there's actually a third strike, though.

It's boring as gently caress and if you don't know exactly what can come up in advance you cannot possibly beat or even pretend to compete with someone who does.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I can actually win more consistently at Fluxx than at Innovation.

Winning at Fluxx largely revolves around hand management and fishing for engine/disruption rules as is available to you. The deck is easier to learn because the cards are more clearly categorized than Innovation.

On a sidenote, Innovation's 3rd strike is that the basic card economy is just loving terrible. Even Race, which I hate for its luck factor, lets me draw 5 cards with a single basic action. Unpowered searching is so weak and glacial that is utterly magnifies the luck element in Innovation. At least in Fluxx, an opponent who plays Draw 4 makes everybody Draw 4 for the most part instead of being given a straight advantage off the bat.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Innovation has the same problem as Race for the Galaxy: in order to plan, you have to know the cards. However, there are vastly fewer cards in Innovation than Race for the Galaxy. What I'm saying is that Race for the Galaxy is garbage and that Innovation is less garbage. I wouldn't recommend either of them to a new player though.

I actually like Innovation, but I happened to learn it before I knew how obnoxious the learning curve would be. I wouldn't put up with the same climb again.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

OmegaGoo posted:

I consistently win at Fluxx by not playing Fluxx.

Innovation has some of the worst terminology I've ever seen in something that isn't a JRPG.