Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Someone please post a screen of the griffin armor so I can see how much of a moron I'm going to look like as a signs build. Everyone says it's bad and it does look pretty bad but all the screens I've seen was done in lovely dark lighting.

That being said is feline decent for signs? I'm playing on Death March so I'm trying to min/max as best I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Baron Bifford posted:

There's a trait called "Rage Management" that allows me to substitute Adrenaline Points for Stamina when casting Signs. Is it good?

It's okay - it's bad for signs where you need stamina to keep them up(like alt igni) since obviously if you're using adrenaline, you don't have as much and there's an opportunity cost to draining it anyway that makes it not worth it. It is still in my list but I'm going to take it out soon - my increased stamina regeneration has kind of made it feel obsolete. Maybe it would be better again if you took the one that made casting signs give you adrenaline or any sort of increased adrenaline gain.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Speaking of Skellige quests, at the end of the succession chain what happens if you go with Hjalmar instead of Cerys after the bear thing? Does Birna get away with it? It seemed like he was just going to go attack the wrong people because he's an idiot but it would be funny if he got it right by chance.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lord Lambeth posted:

Does that only happen if Adda is dead in witcher 1 because otherwise...:stonk:
I think her death is canon because Foltest has a succession crisis that shouldn't exist if Radovid is married to his daughter, and Radovid is able to propose marriage as an option which wouldn't make a lot of sense if he were married. But I'm not 100% sure.

There really aren't a whole lot of other political marriage options for Radovid though, to be fair. Henselt had no heirs, Stennis was the only remaining royal of Aedirn. Actually the situation is pretty rickety for all the kingdoms in the series right now. Still, it seems like Radovid is more focused on winning than on continuity of his reign.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/best-armor/

Think this site has all of them with stats. Cat armor looks nice and I think it should be the most useful because you'll probably use fast sword attacks the most. The tooltip also says light armor boosts stamina regen so that should help signs too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So there is a quest that leads you to "Ghosts of the Past". I stumbled upon it by accident and thought the devs had decided to go "Hey, you! Surprise Letho!.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nakar posted:

I think her death is canon because Foltest has a succession crisis that shouldn't exist if Radovid is married to his daughter, and Radovid is able to propose marriage as an option which wouldn't make a lot of sense if he were married. But I'm not 100% sure.

There really aren't a whole lot of other political marriage options for Radovid though, to be fair. Henselt had no heirs, Stennis was the only remaining royal of Aedirn. Actually the situation is pretty rickety for all the kingdoms in the series right now. Still, it seems like Radovid is more focused on winning than on continuity of his reign.

In the second game Foltest mentions that succession is still a problem despite Adda being alive because Temarian royalty would not accept a Redanian(Radovid, who marries Adda) on the throne.

Maybe Radovid just doesn't want a incest baby anymore. :v:

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 27, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lord Lambeth posted:

In the second game Foltest mentions that succession is still a problem despite Adda being alive because Temarian royalty would not accept a Redanian(Radovid, who marries Adda) on the throne.

Maybe Radovid just doesn't want a incest baby anymore. :v:
Weird. Maybe he only throws in the "and I might just marry her too :wink:" if Adda died. Otherwise he'd just be assuming protectorate status over Temeria without an excuse.

Or maybe he got rid of his wife, it's not like that'd be hard.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Avalerion posted:

http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/best-armor/

Think this site has all of them with stats. Cat armor looks nice and I think it should be the most useful because you'll probably use fast sword attacks the most. The tooltip also says light armor boosts stamina regen so that should help signs too.

Thanks for that. Overall none of them look bad. Just depends. Griffin aesthetically looks the most "armored". I'll probably go for it anyway.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Nakar posted:

Weird. Maybe he only throws in the "and I might just marry her too :wink:" if Adda died. Otherwise he'd just be assuming protectorate status over Temeria without an excuse.

Or maybe he got rid of his wife, it's not like that'd be hard.

If you don't save Adda or don't import, Radovid is unmarried and thus is free to pursue his romance with Anais. If Adda is his wife, he takes Anais "as his ward" ostensively to set her up as a puppet later and to rule Temeria as regent/a vassal state. At least, that's what W2 claims.

W3, it's irrelevant as Temeria rolls over like a wolf eating an Igni to the face. (never. gets. old.)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Arguably Radovid's poo poo is also irrelevant, the question is just how many Nilfgaardians will have to die to crush him.

And they got a lot of Nilfgaardians.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn
I will probably lose all my money and friends to do so, but I will own a bar one day and call it the "Cunny Goose". i would also like to agree with whomever pointed out that the reason why the world seems so lived in and deep is that video game people did not create it. They took what was written and maintained the tone (also, they have some pretty good art designers). This makes Dragon Age Inquisition (which i liked) look like horse poo poo, in every conceivable way.

Darth Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 27, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I'm a bit sad that the "minor" choices such as Adda etc don't really amount to anything. It's understandable (and to their credit I don't recall CDP ever going on about how everything would have an impact on the ending; looking at you Bioware...) but given how generally thought out the political situation is it would've been nicer if your actions with the various nobles, Kings and Queens had more of a ripple effect rather than simply being ignored outright.

Build talk, anyone had much success with cat/viper? Light armour and more mobility and quick attacks?

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 27, 2015

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

No, I instantly pointed out that they have some pretty reprehensible practices, like slavery, and you ignored that. That's when I brought up pedophilia.

Also, I shouldn't have called you guys neocons, what's really bothering me is the explicit fascism. When did this board turn into 4chan?

you need to go take a breather or run some laps or something bud

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Baron Bifford posted:

There's a trait called "Rage Management" that allows me to substitute Adrenaline Points for Stamina when casting Signs. Is it good?

It lets you chain-cast signs, which is cool. I'm trying to respec from a medium armor build to heavy armor built around adrenaline and signs since the ursine armor boosts adrenaline gain and looks amazing while the griffin armor is not pretty and has stupid looking shoulder spikes. If you don't go griffin, though, not only will you take a big hit to intensity, you'll lose out on the crazy stamina regen boost from griffin school techniques (it's way bigger than 20%, it more than doubles my regen). At least with the ursine set and the adrenaline gain abilities, you do get adrenaline really fast. I'm waiting for the flood of anger ability, since that seems really cool and like it will make up a lot for lower sign intensity.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

Quote-Unquote posted:

I had to reload after I got stuck in a waist-high, four foot by one foot pool of water, the edges of which were steep enough to prohibit jumping or climbing out. Roach watched mournfully as I struggled in vain to escape my watery grave.

GOTY

That happened to me too and i believe it be the exact same hole! I was fighting at the time so half of my movement options werent even available.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
I could swear there was a line or maybe a journal entry in TW2 about divorcing Adda first. Either because of being a filthy foreigner or an incest baby or a royally hosed-up (ha!) chick, or some combination of the three. We can expect that if she were alive, she'd be banished to some horrible convent with her tongue cut out or something because Witcherverse.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

It lets you chain-cast signs, which is cool. I'm trying to respec from a medium armor build to heavy armor built around adrenaline and signs since the ursine armor boosts adrenaline gain and looks amazing while the griffin armor is not pretty and has stupid looking shoulder spikes. If you don't go griffin, though, not only will you take a big hit to intensity, you'll lose out on the crazy stamina regen boost from griffin school techniques (it's way bigger than 20%, it more than doubles my regen). At least with the ursine set and the adrenaline gain abilities, you do get adrenaline really fast. I'm waiting for the flood of anger ability, since that seems really cool and like it will make up a lot for lower sign intensity.

I'm thinking of doing a similar thing, or just mixing and matching the Ursine and Griffin sets. Probably Griffin legs, boots, and gloves, with Ursine chest for looks and for a small boost to Adrenaline generation (without losing TOO much from Griffin School Techniques). Griffin armor really does look kinda lovely and I'll take a small hit to Sign intensity and Stamina regen just to have a better chest piece. That and Razor Focus should be helpful, I think.

Currently I know I'm probably always going to have Razor Focus, Fleet Footed, Rage Management, Griffin School Techniques, and probably Muscle Memory slotted. I'm probably going to have to drop Sun and Stars (which is going to put a big strain on my food supply) just to make room for the intensity abilities and alternate modes for Igni, Axii, and Quen, along with Quen Discharge.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
I have had HUGE success using a full griffin/sign build. Currently using enhanced griffin gear (im only level 17) with increased sign intensity runes and glyphs whenever possible. Sitting at ~166% sign intensity with weapon drawn. Igni is extremely good because the burn damage is % based and quite a decent amount. Ive killed monsters and witcher contracts 10+ levels higher than me simply by kiting and using Igni. The alternate mode is also extremely good. Im not 100% sure but it seems to have a higher chance for burning. If im facing a monster 10-15 levels higher, using the basic igni is very rarely going to set them on fire, but the alternate will almost always burn before half my stamina has depleted. Then its just a case of stopping the flamethrower and regenerating stamina before the creature stops burning. Done right you can keep a powerful monster permanently alight burning for high damage with no effort at all. It is extremely satisfying just torching a large pack of enemies with alternate igni and watching all their health melt at once i must say.

That being said, all of the signs are very strong if you spec into them. My aard is 100% knockdown which of course means instant kills on every small enemy i might face (for when i get bored of just setting everything on fire), coupled with the stamina regen means no ones going to get up. The alternate Yrden sign is also very good in some cases. It periodically hits things near it providing a little bit of stagger and persists for a good amount of time. Good for giving yourself a bit of room. Ill drop an yrden, then drop an alternate yrden, then switch to igni and smash face.

Im thinking of trying out the other schools though. The respec potions are only 1k crowns and im interested in trying out Bear.

All in all this game is loving awesome holy poo poo ive been playing it far too much since it came out.

Han Solomon fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 27, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So I asked this before but what am I doing wrong with Alt Axii? I can't get it to trigger like 90% of the time. I'm using a DS4 and holding R2 rather than tapping but it keeps coming out regular Axii. I want my dominated puppets drat it!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Man, I've still been playing the poo poo out of this game and I'm barely level 8.

I'm pretty close to filling a sock here. I blame the Gwent sessions.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

If you are strapped for cash for some reason, you can get your fare to Skellige back.

Question: is there a hotkey (PC) for turning off the HUD for screenshots?
I don't want to go to the options and toggle everything off everytime.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 27, 2015

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

Levantine posted:

So I asked this before but what am I doing wrong with Alt Axii? I can't get it to trigger like 90% of the time. I'm using a DS4 and holding R2 rather than tapping but it keeps coming out regular Axii. I want my dominated puppets drat it!

Have you added the alternate axii trait into your character sheet?

e: also its a little ambiguous. You hold it down for about 2-3 seconds, and then the monsters name should change to white. To be honest i havent found this to be very useful. Due to monster AI, by the time theyve actually started trying to attack others the effect has almost worn off.

Han Solomon fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 27, 2015

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ButteCysts posted:

I have had HUGE success using a full griffin/sign build. Currently using enhanced griffin gear (im only level 17) with increased sign intensity runes and glyphs whenever possible.

I'm level 14 and can't wait to get the enhanced set at 15. Also using a sign-heavy build, but one thing: are you slotting the Griffin school techniques skill? Someone argued earlier that it gets worse the higher your level is since the % of it won't scale and it's always 20% increase. Can you get by without slotting it and using that precious slot for another sign?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Fat Samurai posted:

So there is a quest that leads you to "Ghosts of the Past". I stumbled upon it by accident and thought the devs had decided to go "Hey, you! Surprise Letho!.

There's some old lady in a village who asks you to go there to clear out her manor of monsters, because she's not built enough to do it herself like a real woman.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

Azazell0 posted:

I'm level 14 and can't wait to get the enhanced set at 15. Also using a sign-heavy build, but one thing: are you slotting the Griffin school techniques skill? Someone argued earlier that it gets worse the higher your level is since the % of it won't scale and it's always 20% increase. Can you get by without slotting it and using that precious slot for another sign?

Yeh i am still using it and have been using it since level 1. Its extremely difficult having such limited options though i know! I think its good because theres only so many places that you can get sign intensity from and a solid 20% is a good amount. I wont pretend to know everything about all of the systems of the game, but to me it seems very worth it. Especially considering a full sign build basically has no use for quen which frees up some slots.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ButteCysts posted:

Have you added the alternate axii trait into your character sheet?

e: also its a little ambiguous. You hold it down for about 2-3 seconds, and then the monsters name should change to white. To be honest i havent found this to be very useful. Due to monster AI, by the time theyve actually started trying to attack others the effect has almost worn off.

I did have it equipped yeah. I hold the button but it triggers the normal Axii immediately rather than letting me hold it. It's weird.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

Levantine posted:

I did have it equipped yeah. I hold the button but it triggers the normal Axii immediately rather than letting me hold it. It's weird.

Well if youre sure youve specced into it and slotted it in, it could be a case of the monster youre trying to use it on? It doesnt work on the big ones, only the minor ones. I havent used it a whole lot so my experience is limited but maybe it doesnt work on everything in the game? Maybe it doesnt work on certain categories of monsters for lore reasons or whatever.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

It frustrates me to no end that you can't attack any of the priests of the eternal fire. Why the hell not? Those people are loving scumbags but I can murder all the guards I want.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I thought it was 10% each slot, not 5%, but it's definitely questionable since you are sacrificing a 10% sign intensity increase for your mutagen as well, so it's only a net 10% (assuming the 20% people are right).

Who sells the griffin upgrade maps? I have been to every shop and only found one of them. I have a feeling it might be a trapped person but I haven't any idea which.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ButteCysts posted:

Well if youre sure youve specced into it and slotted it in, it could be a case of the monster youre trying to use it on? It doesnt work on the big ones, only the minor ones. I havent used it a whole lot so my experience is limited but maybe it doesnt work on everything in the game? Maybe it doesnt work on certain categories of monsters for lore reasons or whatever.

I'll have to test it when I get home. I tried before work this morning on a human and it just triggers a normal Axii. If it's just me, I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong; I'll have to mess with it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

If I recall, Axii is just bugged. I think someone mentioned editing an ini fixes it?

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I thought it was 10% each slot, not 5%, but it's definitely questionable since you are sacrificing a 10% sign intensity increase for your mutagen as well, so it's only a net 10% (assuming the 20% people are right).

I think it comes down to how many signs you use. Igni is so all-purpose i use it for pretty much all situations. Pepper in a bit of yrden and you should be golden.. Aard is just for shits and giggles really. Basically if i wasnt using Griffin School Techniques, id be using the slot on something that i barely ever use which is still a loss of 10% intensity and 20% stamina regen (which isnt negligible)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Levantine posted:

I'll have to test it when I get home. I tried before work this morning on a human and it just triggers a normal Axii. If it's just me, I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong; I'll have to mess with it.

After they get regular axii'd, do you keep holding down the button?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

After they get regular axii'd, do you keep holding down the button?

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong, I'll have to try it when I'm home.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just got patch 1.03 for the PS4.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is there a place where you hoard your poo poo?

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED

Kurtofan posted:

Is there a place where you hoard your poo poo?

Im wondering and hoping the same thing. Itll be a pain to carry 3 fulls sets of witcher gear around.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Drythe posted:

If I recall, Axii is just bugged. I think someone mentioned editing an ini fixes it?

Yeah, instructions here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720352&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=149#post445745668

However if you're not on PC that obviously won't help you. However #2 even this fix didn't help me; I have both Delusion and Puppet slotted, and Puppet just doesn't work even with the fix. Not sure what the problem is.

Meh, maybe it will work for you. Otherwise just gotta wait for a bug fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can drop your poo poo anywhere and it won't disappear. I like to drop it beside the signpost for Crow's Nest.