Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I'm gonna be honest, I pretty much pulled Bernie's name out of a hat for the comparison and it really shouldn't be read into too deeply. As noted above Vermin Supreme would have been a better name for me to pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

More from the Bernie rally

quote:

It turns out that ice cream is ILLEGAL in this context unless it is reported as a campaign donation to the FEC.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2015/may/27/politics-rand-paul-santorum-clinton-fiorina#block-5565f34fe4b04f693964a963

:siren:BENANDJERRY-gate:siren:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

quote:

Thanks to Republican National Committee communications director Sean Spicer for flagging this incredibly flagrant abuse of campaign finance law

:ironicat:

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Tobermory posted:

It's overly facile to claim that Iraq's $32 million order of 20 AAQ-33 Sniper Aircraft EO systems in 2012 is evidence of bribery, while their $180 million order of 378 Cougar APCs in 2006 is not.

Apologies for the facile question, but were both the purchaser and the producer giving money directly to the spouse of someone with approval authority in 2006?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Apologies for the facile question, but were both the purchaser and the producer giving money directly to the spouse of someone with approval authority in 2006?

I'm pretty sure General Dynamics has no problem giving money directly the person with approval authority or do you not know how hosed up military procurement is?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm pretty sure General Dynamics has no problem giving money directly the person with approval authority

So did they do that?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
You owe it to yourself to go listen to the Santorum theme song. It is very :allears:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Arkane posted:

So did they do that?

Some light googling shows that they were busted for bribing the SK PM in the 80s but the current crop of complaints are mainly fraud and selling classified poo poo to the wrong people. Also I was slightly wrong and the company that makes the Cougar was acquired by GD in 2011. Before that they were somehow getting government contracts despite being unable to meet contract deadlines and supplying flawed equipment.

e: Also :laffo: at you pretending that the Bush era military procurement wasn't full of bribes and other shady poo poo

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Marco Rubio making it clear once again that he's not going for the Only Sane Man gambit.

Not Gonna Be President Don't Worry posted:

If you think about it, we are at the water’s edge of the argument that mainstream Christian teaching is hate speech, because today we’ve reached the point in our society where if you do not support same-sex marriage you are labeled a homophobe and a hater. After they are done going after individuals, the next step is to argue that the teachings of mainstream Christianity, the catechism of the Catholic Church, is hate speech and there’s a real and present danger.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Frothy is IN!

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/breaking_rick_santorum_says_he_s_running_for_president?recruiter_id=2

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

quote:

there's a real and present danger

He really loves using that phrase.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Here watch me do Arkane's gimmick better than him.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/27/corrupt-fifa-has-clinton-foundation-ties-world-cup-host-qatar-gave-millions.html

quote:

Both Bill Clinton and his family’s charity have been tied to soccer’s governing body, as well as Qatar’s disastrous World Cup bid.

And just like that, another Clinton Foundation donor is in the news.

The Clinton global charity has received between $50,000 and $100,000 from soccer’s governing body and has partnered with the Fédération Internationale de Football Association on several occasions, according to donor listings on the foundation’s website.

Several top FIFA executives were arrested Wednesday in Zurich and face corruption charges stretching back two decades, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

Involvement with the embattled body extends beyond the foundation to Bill Clinton himself. The former president was an honorary chairman of the bid committee put together to promote the United States as a possible host nation for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup.

When the U.S. lost the 2022 bid to Qatar, Clinton was rumored to be so upset he shattered a mirror.

But apparently Qatar tried to make it up to him.

The Qatar 2022 Supreme Committee, partnering with the State of Qatar, “committed to utilizing its research and development for sustainable infrastructure at the 2022 FIFA World Cup to improve food security in Qatar, the Middle East, and other arid and water-stressed regions throughout the world,” according to the Clinton Foundation website.

The cost of the two-year project is not listed on the Clinton Foundation website, but the Qatar 2022 committee gave the foundation between $250,000 and $500,000 in 2014 and the State of Qatar gave between $1 million and $5 million in previous, unspecified years.

FIFA, which has never been a bastion of ethics, was heavily criticized for awarding the 2018 and 2022 World Cup to Russia and Qatar, respectively, in part because of their abysmal human-rights records.

The Guardian reported in 2013 about “appalling labor abuses,” including possible forced labor and worker death on Qatar’s World Cup infrastructure projects. It is also considered to be too hot to play soccer in Qatar in the summer.

No Qatari officials have been arrested, but Swiss authorities announced Wednesday that they had opened criminal proceedings into the allocation of the Qatari and Russian World Cups. They have also seized documents from FIFA’s headquarters and gained access to the Swiss bank accounts of executives they suspect of “unjust enrichment” and money laundering.

Now lets all laugh at the minor embarrassment this will end up being for Hillary's campaign.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Some light googling shows that they were busted for bribing the SK PM in the 80s but the current crop of complaints are mainly fraud and selling classified poo poo to the wrong people. Also I was slightly wrong and the company that makes the Cougar was acquired by GD in 2011. Before that they were somehow getting government contracts despite being unable to meet contract deadlines and supplying flawed equipment.

So even though there's a direct, documented money trail with Hillary, your defense is that it's not wrong because you somehow "just know" everyone else is doing it/has done it.

Is this an example of a non-facile argument, because maybe I don't fully understand the word.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shocking proof of Marco Rubio's wife disobeying the bible:

2 Timothy: 9 - 10 posted:

I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

When will Mrs. Rubio be punished for this anti-Christian transgression?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

So even though there's a direct, documented money trail with Hillary, your defense is that it's not wrong because you somehow "just know" everyone else is doing it/has done it.

Please prove that the money given to the Clinton foundation was for getting State's approval on an arms deal the pentagon put together.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Honestly this is the biggest loving problem with Hillary's campaign, she and Bill just can't help themselves from doing things that are superficially sketchy but when you dig past the scrapes fox news et al have done its ultimately nothing and why its not a big deal can't be explained easily.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

my bony fealty posted:

Shocking proof of Marco Rubio's wife disobeying the bible:

When will Mrs. Rubio be punished for this anti-Christian transgression?

Surprise! Someone who harps on following the Bible a lot is one who does so the least.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Please prove that the money given to the Clinton foundation was for getting State's approval on an arms deal the pentagon put together.

lol

First of all, if you read the article you'll see the money was given both to the foundation and to Bill *personally*.

Secondly, behold the liberal version of climate change deniers. M-maybe the Clintons raked in nine figures because of natural sunspot activity? HOW CAN YOU PROVE A THEORY

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Honestly this is the biggest loving problem with Hillary's campaign, she and Bill just can't help themselves from doing things that are superficially sketchy but when you dig past the scrapes fox news et al have done its ultimately nothing and why its not a big deal can't be explained easily.

Politicians ought to be held to a higher standard. I don't think there is anything damning about this Clinton Foundation nonsense than any other damning thing a politician might engage in, but it smacks of arrogance or stupidity (or both). That they "can't help themselves" is the bigger issue than any of the Whitewater/Foster level bullshit the righties trot out. It shows they lack judgment and critical thinking skills. And by "they" I mean the rightwing conspiracy theorists and the Clintons both.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

lol

First of all, if you read the article you'll see the money was given both to the foundation and to Bill *personally*.

Secondly, behold the liberal version of climate change deniers. M-maybe the Clintons raked in nine figures because of natural sunspot activity? HOW CAN YOU PROVE A THEORY

You made the accusation; the onus is on you to provide proof. Any rear end in a top hat can throw bombs then moonwalk out.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lol

Are you really going to pretend that the US won't sell weapons to anyone or anything with a pulse.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

You made the accusation; the onus is on you to provide proof. Any rear end in a top hat can throw bombs then moonwalk out.

No see the fat IT guy posting when work is slow HAS to complete a federal corruption investigation in his downtime!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Are you really going to pretend that the US won't sell weapons to anyone or anything with a pulse.

Well we're not Swedes, we do have some standards!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Alter Ego posted:

You're giving assholes a lot of credit. Not just anyone can moonwalk.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Can I get a yes or no to these...do you think that using only private email, and deleting half of those emails is only superficially sketchy? How about accepting large cash payments from multiple companies over the past couple of years that could present large conflicts of interest? Not donations, mind you, actual money that goes into her bank account. This is only superficially sketchy? Just Fox News agitprop?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Arkane posted:

Can I get a yes or no to these...do you think that using only private email, and deleting half of those emails is only superficially sketchy? How about accepting large cash payments from multiple companies over the past couple of years that could present large conflicts of interest? Not donations, mind you, actual money that goes into her bank account. This is only superficially sketchy? Just Fox News agitprop?

Seeing as its been shown time and time again to be stupid bullshit, and as such the definition of superficial, yes.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

RZApublican posted:

She's an Anarcho-Syndicalist?

If you are a real anarcho-syndicalist, you won't be voting Rand Paul antime soon, unless you are dumb. It's not like Sanders would be a perfect fit or anything, but still.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Feather posted:

Politicians ought to be held to a higher standard. I don't think there is anything damning about this Clinton Foundation nonsense than any other damning thing a politician might engage in, but it smacks of arrogance or stupidity (or both). That they "can't help themselves" is the bigger issue than any of the Whitewater/Foster level bullshit the righties trot out. It shows they lack judgment and critical thinking skills. And by "they" I mean the rightwing conspiracy theorists and the Clintons both.

There is a literal billion dollar industry focused on making literally anything the Clintons do or don't do look bad, look arrogant, etc. The "avoid the appearance of evil" argument doesnt apply for them because anything at all they do will be made to look bad, including raising money to help sick African children.

The error in judgment comes when you listen to any of it. Clicking on fox news links or fox news type stories just makes you actively more stupid. Like meth, right wing media is a not-even-once.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

It's funny to see the party that brought us Dick "Halliburton" Cheney and the era of massive wasteful no-bid contracts complain about supposed cronyism.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I agree with Arkane. At the very least, Clinton's actions created the appearance of impropriety. As a result, I am now switching my vote from Hillary to Marco Rubio.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

America doesn't eat much fiber.

It will never get old, does it?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There is a literal billion dollar industry focused on making literally anything the Clintons do or don't do look bad, look arrogant, etc. The "avoid the appearance of evil" argument doesnt apply for them because anything at all they do will be made to look bad, including raising money to help sick African children.

The error in judgment comes when you listen to any of it. Clicking on fox news links or fox news type stories just makes you actively more stupid. Like meth, right wing media is a not-even-once.

OTOH, the Clinton hate machine did manage to sink Huckabee's national aspirations back in the 90s by accident.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

George Pataki, the former Republican governor of NY, is also announcing that he's running tomorrow. I really have no idea what his strategy is supposed to be. The crazy train is already full.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I was too young to really follow politics in the 90s, is this what we have to look forward to for the next nine years? Endless insinuation and half-baked "follow the money" conspiracies?

It;s kind of interesting that each of these accusations so far have been about twice as scandalous as it'd take to sink a regular candidate (close a bridge? How about accepting bribes as secretary of state???) but only need half as much evidence to get traction since people seem willing to believe anything could be true of the Clintons. Oh, and none of the impact, since at least in the primary all these would-be scandals have amounted to a wet fart.

Almost seems like they're wasting their ammunition, since it's not like any of this is enough to derail Hillary from getting the nomination. Shouldn't they wait for the general election before trying this, to avoid outrage fatigue setting in early?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Arkane posted:

Sounds like your standard party hack bullshit to me.

And honestly? I'll take party hack bullshit over a thousand years of Christian Taliban darkness that every single loving one of the clowns on the other side would usher in if elected.

Dolash posted:

Almost seems like they're wasting their ammunition, since it's not like any of this is enough to derail Hillary from getting the nomination. Shouldn't they wait for the general election before trying this, to avoid outrage fatigue setting in early?

Why, it's almost like the Clinton-deranged have no sense of politics, time, or propriety. :monocle:

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Dolash posted:

I was too young to really follow politics in the 90s, is this what we have to look forward to for the next nine years? Endless insinuation and half-baked "follow the money" conspiracies?

Don't forget about calling someone you don't agree with politically a "fat IT guy".

Let's not gloss over the true entertainment here.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Official Rick Santorum for President Theme Song

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Let me tell you about a man named Vince Foster.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They are like Uber. They are breaking the understood standard of law, but have managed to pull the song and dance bullshit that makes everyone hate lawyers to put themselves in a position where it isn't permissible for you to nail their ears to the wall.

Everyone knows that Uber is a service and this should adhere to the ADA, but they are finagling that as a technology company they don't have to, and will probably find a judge willing to side with them in defiance of common loving sense.

Everyone knows that Clinton was using the email server to dodge public records requirements just like every other politician does, but they are arguing that they split the circulation lists finely enough that they can claim it was justified, and by the time we get down to the deep deep bottom of it we will probably find that they did manage to keep it so anything in the server was a private deal even if it had direct public implications (eg Blumenthal dispatches).

If doesn't change the fact that in both cases it's complete bullshit to get around the rules everyone else has to play by. And more importantly it isn't going to stop the nuts from taking every limit pushing the Clintons do and turn it into an insane conspiracy theory that will completely obscure the fact that yeah, these assholes are making GBS threads in the spirit of he law. But never mind the clear cut example of elite hubris, we need to tell you how Hillary is a lesbian who murdered Vince Foster, and besides there is nothing wrong with elite hubris the problem is the Clintons are murderous traitors not elites they have no business being the White House, that should be Bush in there!

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

George Pataki, the former Republican governor of NY, is also announcing that he's running tomorrow. I really have no idea what his strategy is supposed to be. The crazy train is already full.
538 has him as "moderate," what's his deal?

• Locked thread