Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

spoon swoop spotted

fancy plating on a cutting board spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
yo dawg, respect the spoon swoop. Also, those boards are so much cheaper than plates, and don't break.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Sometimes when I'm alone and the nights are cold and I know no one can watch me, I eat my food from a cutting board.

Or maybe I just don't want to wash another plate for a simple snack.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It would be really nice if someone could invent a machine that could wash dishes for you so that you could conveniently use dishes for a small snack.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, but home dishwashers suck. I hate mine, takes 2 hours, and half the time it doesn't clean anything worth a poo poo. Commercial dishwasher is cheaper to run, and cleans all my dishes in about 30 seconds.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yeah, but home dishwashers suck. I hate mine, takes 2 hours, and half the time it doesn't clean anything worth a poo poo. Commercial dishwasher is cheaper to run, and cleans all my dishes in about 30 seconds.

Not to mention all the steam your lungs can handle! It's win-win!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Nothing's better then a sandwich right off the cutting board while sitting in front of the football game. Also, what the hell else am I going to do with these 6 novelty tiny butcher boards agh mom

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

I bought a pretty good dishwasher a year or so ago, and it has a quick wash function that actually does really solid work (at the expense of using more water and energy). The regular wash does take 2 hours though so it only makes sense to run it at night or something.

But who has space for a commercial machine?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There are actually 'under-cabinet' commercial machines for boutique type places. Easy $2k, but if I had the money, I'd do it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

This is probably going to sound quite wanky, but surely the vast energy expenditure and water waste of being able to clean dishes so quickly is completely unconscionable?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The model we had at my last job used as much as a toilet flush to clean a whole rack, so probably 2 of those loads to equal a standard home model with a rack on the bottom for plates and one of top for glasses. Not bad on water use really except that it does 500 loads per day

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That's amazing! I really would've thought they would be hopelessly inefficient.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Scientastic posted:

That's amazing! I really would've thought they would be hopelessly inefficient.

Modern commercial dishwashers heat as bunch of water to 180F and splash it all about with a detergent. It's at the discretion of the steward to change the water, which is about once per hour. No idea on the under cabinet models, bout I doubt they use more than 2 gallons per cycle.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
My favorite thing about commercial dishwashers in a kitchen is when the dishwashers don't get all the loving mashed potatoes off the plate -- and tbh, it is annoyingly difficult sometimes -- that poo poo will get in the dish water and put flecks of potatoes all over the subsequent glasses. They loved having to drain the water and restart it during rush.

also, I'm not demeaning dishwashers so much as I'm demeaining mashed potatoes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

There are actually 'under-cabinet' commercial machines for boutique type places. Easy $2k, but if I had the money, I'd do it.

I've seen those but that's only when you're talking serious kitchen remodel time. And really, I'm pretty happy with the Maytag I bought for a few hundred bucks.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

serious kitchen remodel would involve: a fridge that takes sheet pans on a rack, a 24in flat top, 4 burners, a combi oven, a 1500W microwave, 2 deeeeeeeeeeep sinks, and a commercial dishwasher. and a deep freezer with racks on a roller system.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

serious kitchen remodel would involve: a fridge that takes sheet pans on a rack, a 24in flat top, 4 burners, a combi oven, a 1500W microwave, 2 deeeeeeeeeeep sinks, and a commercial dishwasher. and a deep freezer with racks on a roller system.

Nothing like getting away from work by coming home to something that looks exactly like work!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, but now I come home from work to the literally worst kitchen because nothing can beat a commercial kitchen. Also, everything would be stainless steel, except the floor, which would be colored concrete with a floor drain.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Including the cookware?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

Including the cookware?

I'm very fond of my colored concrete cookware.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Spending my last night in Prague at a neat little craft beer bar. I was looking up places to go the other night and turns out this place was on the range street. The place is called Illegal Beer.

Been here four times now and had some amazing pale ales, lager, and bitters.

gently caress, I am going to miss this city. The food is great, the beer is cheap and amazing, and the people are wonderful.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

antisodachrist posted:

Spending my last night in Prague at a neat little craft beer bar. I was looking up places to go the other night and turns out this place was on the range street. The place is called Illegal Beer.

Been here four times now and had some amazing pale ales, lager, and bitters.

gently caress, I am going to miss this city. The food is great, the beer is cheap and amazing, and the people are wonderful.

I'll be in Prague next month and will seek this place out, hadn't heard of it. My usual haunt is U Pinkasu or, if I don't mind feeling touristy, U Fleku.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Quite a while back someone posted in this thread (or the general questions one) asking for a recommendation for books about the history of food. I just finished listening to Food: A Cultural Culinary History, and I wanted to give it a plug in case they're still around.

Cons: it tries to cover a lot of ground, meaning it might be less useful for someone who already knows a lot about this stuff. It's also more US-focused than I would like, especially in the modern age.
Pros: as its designed to be heard rather than read, it's easier to follow than most audiobooks (I usually hate them). It was really interesting, the speaker had a nice voice and style, and it gave a good overview of food in a bunch of different times and places.

I don't know if I would have paid the full price for it, but if you have Audible credits or catch a sale it's worth it. I put it on while I chopped veggies or washed my dishes and felt twice as productive!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I bought a pretty good dishwasher a year or so ago, and it has a quick wash function that actually does really solid work (at the expense of using more water and energy). The regular wash does take 2 hours though so it only makes sense to run it at night or something.

We almost always run ours at night anyway.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

therattle posted:

We almost always run ours at night anyway.

We either load it after dinner and run it at night, or I clean the kitchen and start it when I leave for work.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Uhh.. Triple sink, best sink.

Also seconding my next house will have a loving floor drain and that white indestructible plastic poo poo on the walls.

Also no cabinets. Just steel tables with wire racks. Kitchens don't need to be loving pretty. They need to be able to be hosed down with a god drat pressure washer and not care.

Edit: also where in your plan does the deep fryer go?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

There's a dishwasher in my apartment now but I never use it, I just like cleaning the dishes right after dinner and getting it all over with. Plus handwashing always keeps them looking nice.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Esme posted:

Quite a while back someone posted in this thread (or the general questions one) asking for a recommendation for books about the history of food. I just finished listening to Food: A Cultural Culinary History, and I wanted to give it a plug in case they're still around.

Cons: it tries to cover a lot of ground, meaning it might be less useful for someone who already knows a lot about this stuff. It's also more US-focused than I would like, especially in the modern age.
Pros: as its designed to be heard rather than read, it's easier to follow than most audiobooks (I usually hate them). It was really interesting, the speaker had a nice voice and style, and it gave a good overview of food in a bunch of different times and places.

I don't know if I would have paid the full price for it, but if you have Audible credits or catch a sale it's worth it. I put it on while I chopped veggies or washed my dishes and felt twice as productive!

When I finish my doctorate I promise to do better versions of books like these.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I bought a new Bosch dishwasher a few months back, and I've been very happy with it. Almost silent, washes and drys very well.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Uhh.. Triple sink, best sink.

Also seconding my next house will have a loving floor drain and that white indestructible plastic poo poo on the walls.

Also no cabinets. Just steel tables with wire racks. Kitchens don't need to be loving pretty. They need to be able to be hosed down with a god drat pressure washer and not care.

Edit: also where in your plan does the deep fryer go?

Definitely no cabinets. Stainless shelving or wire racks, way cheaper, and Mich more functional with little to no upkeep.

Would have a tabletop fryer, one of the 20lb vollraths.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Good job on the forum name change Bart or whoever did that.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

2005 called

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
gently caress I feel old

I have been posting here a minute

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

mindphlux posted:

2005 called

I liked 2005.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I liked 2005.

I did too. I was living in Germany and remember doing one of the first couple ICSA challenges, for avocado. Which I think I won. Or narrowly didn't win. Who knows, memory, it's for the birds...

I think I served a gazpacho with crab inside a gussied up avocado shell or something? lol christ.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 28, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I was a virgin through most of 2005.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wasn't me, but I like it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mindphlux posted:

gently caress I feel old

I have been posting here a minute

Tell me about it...I've been reading these forums for almost half my life.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I like the new Pet Island/PET THUNDERDOME name, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Leaving tomorrow morning for Philly. Will do a trip report when I get back. DiNic's is on the itinerary as well as

http://www.viamarconissmokehousetavern.com/