Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Elliotw2 posted:

The trick with the console conversions of Doom is that everyone but the SNES porter were lazy and just ported the Jaguar version that id made, rather than doing any custom work of their own.

The 3DO port wasn't the Jag version. It was also probably the worst port job of the game, through no fault of the one person who was entirely responsible for it, which is a goddamn shame because the 3DO was undoubtedly capable of a nearly perfect port of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Cubey posted:

The 3DO port wasn't the Jag version. It was also probably the worst port job of the game, through no fault of the one person who was entirely responsible for it, which is a goddamn shame because the 3DO was undoubtedly capable of a nearly perfect port of the game.

Doomwiki and the developer quotes say otherwise, since part of the reason she had two months to port it is because the publisher thought it would be no effort to recompile the game for the 3DO.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Elliotw2 posted:

Doomwiki and the developer quotes say otherwise, since part of the reason she had two months to port it is because the publisher thought it would be no effort to recompile the game for the 3DO.

Having to extensively rewrite the game to work on proprietary hardware doesn't mean that the port couldn't be basically as good as the PC version.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

What's stopping someone from doing it right now?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm going to catch poo poo for this, but I enjoyed Doom on the PS1 more than I did on the PC. I also liked the soundtrack, it was a decent alternative to the really good PC one. We even did systemlink once and did 1v1 deathmatch.

All the unique PS1 experience games are probably going to go super high soon. Jumping Flash, Bushido Blade, etc...

I wish I could get the original demo disc again with the dinosaur real cheap. It was so awesome bringing my playstation and popping that in to show how awesome that console was. Then someone stole my games one day and it was lost forever :smith:

PS1 Doom is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UsiB2hzyb8

(ignore the grognardy middle bit)

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 27, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elliotw2 posted:

The trick with the console conversions of Doom is that everyone but the SNES porter were lazy and just ported the Jaguar version that id made, rather than doing any custom work of their own.

No, the PSX version put a lot of extra work into porting Doom II and putting some Doom II monsters into Doom I levels, as well as adding the lighting effects tot he barebones Jaguar Doom I levels. Same deal with Saturn Doom.

Also Doom II GBA doesn't even use the DOOM engine, much like the SNES Doom but implemented better.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Azazell0 posted:

re: PS1 discussion: So, give me some non-obvious titles to try and pick up? (PAL exclusive since I don't have a modded system).

For whatever bizarre reason, Konami skipped over NA and released Parodius in PAL territories on like, 5 different platforms. The PS1 and Saturn versions are the "deluxe pack" containing the Parodius Da and Gokujou Parodius/Fantastic Journey arcade ports. Both games are amazing.

I started getting PSM magazine in 1999, and eventually bought 4 games based on their reviews and articles - Colony Wars Vengeance, Tales of Destiny, Xenogears, and Ape Escape. All of these are excellent.

Some people like Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, but I preferred Puzzle Bobble 4 with its VS mode and wild combo system. May also be known as... ugh... Bust-a-Move 4. God drat it Taito, I mean, I get the "bust" pun and everything but the title has nothing else to do with the game, and when the actual Bust-A-Move dancing game came out in the west, they have to change it to Bust-A-Groove. Utter bafoonery.

Joining the praise for PS1 Doom. It's pretty good.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 27, 2015

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Anidav posted:

I like the design of the PSOne. It's a really good, small design.

I heard the PSVita is good for PS1 games too but handhelds; meh.

What the heck? Sony totally ripped off Microsoft's Xbox One. Playstation One, yeah right. :rolleyes:

Xenogears is probably the best rpg on the psx, and still stands on its own today. Also, if you like any of the Demons Souls, Dark Souls games you should give King's Field a shot. The game has not aged well, and the controls are nearly unusable, but they are even more atmospheric than the souls games. Also, I haven't seen it on anyone's list, but Jumping Flash 2 was one of my favorite games.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Cubey posted:

Having to extensively rewrite the game to work on proprietary hardware doesn't mean that the port couldn't be basically as good as the PC version.

True. Having to do it in next to no time because the person who contracted you thinks it's a twenty minute job? That's going to hurt quality.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Phantasium posted:

The Klonoa remake on Wii came with a coupon for a free fish taco from a restaurant I've never heard of named Wahoo's, almost entirely just because Klonoa says "Wahoo!" all the time.

Wahoo's is delicious. You should try it whenever you are in California.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Wahoo's is delicious. You should try it whenever you are in California.

Is it a SoCal thing? Because I've never heard of one in Northern CA.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phantasium posted:

The Klonoa remake on Wii came with a coupon for a free fish taco from a restaurant I've never heard of named Wahoo's, almost entirely just because Klonoa says "Wahoo!" all the time.

Hahahahah that owns. We have Wahoo's here in Texas, it's pretty awesome.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

CountingWizard posted:

What the heck? Sony totally ripped off Microsoft's Xbox One. Playstation One, yeah right. :rolleyes:

Xenogears is probably the best rpg on the psx, and still stands on its own today. Also, if you like any of the Demons Souls, Dark Souls games you should give King's Field a shot. The game has not aged well, and the controls are nearly unusable, but they are even more atmospheric than the souls games. Also, I haven't seen it on anyone's list, but Jumping Flash 2 was one of my favorite games.

I was not a big fan of the rushjob on the second disc of Xenogears. The shift in flow is really jarring. The boss battles are pretty cool, though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
A couple of good PAL PS1 games would be Vib Ribbon and Bishi Bashi Special. Play Vib Ribbon and Bishi Bashi Special.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Most of my Bowie CDs won't work with Vib-Ribbon on PSN because they're the Virgin releases with "enhanced" CD-ROM content which basically amounts to a glorified link to Bowie's website. Too lazy/kind of pointless to rip and burn tracks just for the novelty of playing them in the game :(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Discount Viscount posted:

Most of my Bowie CDs won't work with Vib-Ribbon on PSN because they're the Virgin releases with "enhanced" CD-ROM content which basically amounts to a glorified link to Bowie's website. Too lazy/kind of pointless to rip and burn tracks just for the novelty of playing them in the game :(

Take a sharpie to the outer ring of those audio CD's, problem solved. :getin:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Speaking of PSX, there's some dude on the local "ebay" selling some weird accessory called Game Hunter. It seems to be fairly rare. What is it even? Sort of a gameshark?

Also, some other dude is selling Master of Monsters: Disciples of Gaia. I remember reviews back in the day demolishing this game, but how terrible was it really?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Master of Monsters is godawful, skip it.

However, everyone with a PSX should own Parappa the Rapper and Um Jammer Lammy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Saoshyant posted:

Speaking of PSX, there's some dude on the local "ebay" selling some weird accessory called Game Hunter. It seems to be fairly rare. What is it even? Sort of a gameshark?

Also, some other dude is selling Master of Monsters: Disciples of Gaia. I remember reviews back in the day demolishing this game, but how terrible was it really?

The Game Hunter supports codes from the Game Shark, Pro Action Replay, and Gamebuster. It also has a better memory card manager application then the console default, and supposedly can play out of region games and backup copies.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My old PSX has a mod-chip, but I like all the things you said. I probably should grab that thing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

mikeycp posted:

Is it a SoCal thing? Because I've never heard of one in Northern CA.

Guess so. They're all over the place down here.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Guess so. They're all over the place down here.

Then I guess I should probably find the nearest one and go, now that I'm down here for a good long while.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
drat, that little coupon is doing its job years later. Marketing is amazing.

Speaking of, I just put Demon's Crest on eBay. This NEVER would have happened, except it's out on Wii U, I want a Wii U, and eBay sent me another promotion where they're matching what I make selling video game stuff, up to a hundred bucks.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

mikeycp posted:

Then I guess I should probably find the nearest one and go, now that I'm down here for a good long while.

Will warn you to say it's a little "bro-ey" both in aesthetic and customers usually seen there (walls covered with surf/skate stickers and surfboards, TV's playing Fuel TV B-rolls, etc) , but the food is solid. I'm usually there for the Maui Bowl or Taquitos. Nachos are pretty good too if I just want to gently caress up my calories for the day.

Been toying with the idea of selling off my poo poo and keeping what I can't play on a flash cart properly. I know there's some people here in that retro lifestyle. Worth it? Part me feels like I'm just going to repeat how I felt when I sold my NES and games to family friends only to see it destroyed within a week.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I am super happy about selling my games for everdrives but ymmv.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I tried to vote for Dragon Ball GT on the http://www.gba-video.com/ poll but it didn't work, this is bullshit.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
A friend and myself recently bought an n64 for 30 Euros here in Spain. We found it on a website here called milanuncios, which is similar to craigslist and went to pick iit up the other day. For 30 Euros we got a console with all the hookups plus a controller and Mario 64. We went back to my friends place grinning like bandits because we thought we got a good deal. I collect for genesis and Snes and was somewhat apprehensive of buying a new console to collect for because I wanted to stay mainly in the realm of 16-bit games because I feel that they are pretty much the best of the retro era. Just an opinion.

We connected everything to a tv, fired the n64 up and started playing mario 64. At first it was fun. But then it just became really tedious collecting all the stars and the camera was loving awful. Deep down I think I wasted 15 bucks (we split the cost). There are really only a handful of good n64 games. It's a lovely console and the games haven't held up well to the test of time.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Been toying with the idea of selling off my poo poo and keeping what I can't play on a flash cart properly. I know there's some people here in that retro lifestyle. Worth it? Part me feels like I'm just going to repeat how I felt when I sold my NES and games to family friends only to see it destroyed within a week.

I never thought I'd sell off games and then I started to run out of room and money.
There are games I probably won't sell, like stuff from childhood that I've had forever, even if it's super common, or stuff I can't replace easily.

It's all about balance, really, and you don't have to sell everything all at once. Is your collection proving to be a burden in some ways? Would cutting down on the sheer amount of stuff solve a real problem? Do you just want/need the money? Other things you'd rather do?

All of the stuff I've gotten rid of has had some sort of reasonably specific motive behind it. I needed to finish off my student loan and my Sega Genesis stuff was basically collecting dust. As neat as it was to have a CDX I couldn't see myself putting in the effort to build up a library for it, and all these Genesis carts I picked up at the thrift store were bulky as hell. In a perfect world I'd still have it, but I wasn't that attached to it anyway. It found a good home with someone here.

Bayonetta PS3 was the worst version, I planned on getting a Wii U someday anyway, and eBay had a good promo running. Off it went.

Had a bunch of Gamecube games I got cheap, extra copies of games, other games I knew I wouldn't play any more, etc. Too much for me to bother with eBay-ing, and I wanted to clear out some room. Saw some games I wanted more at the local game store, wanted to support them with a little inventory, boom.

I have a bunch of PC games I've gotten at thrift stores and so on that seemed interesting enough to pick up, but I just am not much of a PC gamer. I've played and enjoyed many games on computers, but it's fairly sporadic, and I've got a lot of discs sitting around that have not seen any action since I bought them, which is several years in some cases. Not helped by my laptop disc drive dying. I have an external, but it's a pain to use as I don't really have a desk. Lots of this stuff is out on GOG now. I probably need to weed through all of that next.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Wizgot posted:

We connected everything to a tv, fired the n64 up and started playing mario 64. At first it was fun. But then it just became really tedious collecting all the stars and the camera was loving awful. Deep down I think I wasted 15 bucks (we split the cost). There are really only a handful of good n64 games. It's a lovely console and the games haven't held up well to the test of time.
I'm gonna agree with you there. If you gotta play Zelda you should just play the GCN port or VC release with a superior GameCube controller. Other than that, I think Starfox and Rogue Squadron are the only games I would replay on the original hardware.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Any RetroArch Windows experts around?

I have a couple of questions if you can help me out, the documentation for this emulator is really lacking at times.

1) Anyone have a directory structure they can share so I can create and map proper directory paths so things are nice and tidy? I have cfg files and other random poo poo cluttering up random folders and its making my OCD go nuts.

2) Using RetroArch Mame, with a 360 controller, R1 will bring up the menu along with being button 6. When I check the input configs only the TAB key is bound. Am I missing something?

3) What does Bind All Default do?

4) Using RetroArch Mame, is there a way to swap between a controller and a arcade stick and not have to remap the controls every time?

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 28, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Wizgot posted:

A friend and myself recently bought an n64 for 30 Euros here in Spain. We found it on a website here called milanuncios, which is similar to craigslist and went to pick iit up the other day. For 30 Euros we got a console with all the hookups plus a controller and Mario 64. We went back to my friends place grinning like bandits because we thought we got a good deal. I collect for genesis and Snes and was somewhat apprehensive of buying a new console to collect for because I wanted to stay mainly in the realm of 16-bit games because I feel that they are pretty much the best of the retro era. Just an opinion.

It takes a specific mindset to be able to dive into any of the first-wave 3D. And honestly, that 'mindset' is basically nostalgia. I can't imagine anyone who hasn't played PS1, Saturn or N64 games before would enjoy playing them for the first time now, with a few exceptions. That era was basically devs just throwing a bunch of poo poo out there and seeing what stuck, and even games that ended up being massively influential, like OoT, are pretty rough to play now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's one of those few exceptions: Mario 64

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

I left my Game Boy Advance SP in storage for so long that the battery only holds its charge for ten minutes, if even that.

The last time I gambled on replacement parts on eBay, I got burned. Anyone know what's a good replacement battery pack?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's one of those few exceptions: Mario 64

That loving camera though :negative:

Though, to this very day, no game has ever blown my mind anywhere near as much as Mario 64 did when it was new, and I doubt that any game ever can. 3D seemed novel but ultimately inconsequential before I played that.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Cubey posted:

It takes a specific mindset to be able to dive into any of the first-wave 3D. And honestly, that 'mindset' is basically nostalgia. I can't imagine anyone who hasn't played PS1, Saturn or N64 games before would enjoy playing them for the first time now, with a few exceptions. That era was basically devs just throwing a bunch of poo poo out there and seeing what stuck, and even games that ended up being massively influential, like OoT, are pretty rough to play now.

I think there are plenty of ps1 games that hold up waaaay better than n64 games today. I played Metal Gear Solid on my psp around 2011-12 and was absolutely loving blown away by it. The story, gameplay and sound were incredible. Nothing compares to it on the n64. Final Fantasy IX is also another candidate that comes up. There is just no comparison. All N64 platformers are just colectathons. No depth.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Wizgot posted:

I think there are plenty of ps1 games that hold up waaaay better than n64 games today. I played Metal Gear Solid on my psp around 2011-12 and was absolutely loving blown away by it. The story, gameplay and sound were incredible. Nothing compares to it on the n64. Final Fantasy IX is also another candidate that comes up. There is just no comparison. All N64 platformers are just colectathons. No depth.

PS1 games hold up even worse, except for No One Can Stop Mr. Domino because it is the best. I stopped playing Final Fantasy after FF8, the worst pile of poo poo I have played to this very day, so I have no idea about FF9, and frankly I find it hard to go back to random encounter JRPGs regardless of the era even if I really liked them back then, so I doubt FF9 would be of any use to me.

I do agree regarding most platformers, on both consoles. Especially Rare's collectathons, godfuckingdamn those were awful. Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot are the only ones really worth playing now.

And even most PS1 games that might be worth checking out, the load times are so goddamn bad. Few things take me out of a game more than terrible load times, and the PS1 has that in spades.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 28, 2015

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm not one, but I will say this. Just playing around with XBMC lately, I really think it's the superior choice. Even on a desktop, having a set up where you click on box art for a game, or a name if you need it, and it opens it up in an emulator of your choosing (retroarch applies if you still wanna work with it), it's amazing. I don't know, it just feels better in every way.

Maybe give it a chance and see how you feel about it through youtube? Plenty of demonstration videos there to see how you like the UI.
I'm weird though, I like simple and "it just works" even if it needs configuring, over days of configs. Then again, my work is hella ramping up over the summer so I don't have the time for menial unfun configuring ini's right now.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Discount Viscount posted:

drat, that little coupon is doing its job years later. Marketing is amazing.

Speaking of, I just put Demon's Crest on eBay. This NEVER would have happened, except it's out on Wii U, I want a Wii U, and eBay sent me another promotion where they're matching what I make selling video game stuff, up to a hundred bucks.

Holy hell, when did Demon's Crest become a $100+ game? I'm pretty sure it was in the $60-70 range last I looked sometime last year. I was looking to pick up a copy of Chip N Dale on the NES and those are now double in price, around $12 a copy. This friggin bubble!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Laslow posted:

I'm gonna agree with you there. If you gotta play Zelda you should just play the GCN port or VC release with a superior GameCube controller. Other than that, I think Starfox and Rogue Squadron are the only games I would replay on the original hardware.

Even if you can get the GCN version of Majora's Mask, it's an awful buggy port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

ghostinmyshell posted:

I have a couple of questions if you can help me out, the documentation for this emulator is really lacking at times.

1) Anyone have a directory structure they can share so I can create and map proper directory paths so things are nice and tidy? I have cfg files and other random poo poo cluttering up random folders and its making my OCD go nuts.

2) Using RetroArch Mame, with a 360 controller, R1 will bring up the menu along with being button 6. When I check the input configs only the TAB key is bound. Am I missing something?

3) What does Bind All Default do?

4) Using RetroArch Mame, is there a way to swap between a controller and a arcade stick and not have to remap the controls every time?

1. I think the only thing that is necessary is a folder structure for your "Content" folder. I use these folders: NES, NES Favorites, SNES, SNES Favorites. The NES and SNES folder hold everything ever, and if it is a game I enjoy enough to play regularly I move it to the favorites folder.

2. For me, the middle button (xbox) will bring up the emulator menu. I'm sure there is a thing to bind it to that somewhere in the input options.

3. Bind All walks you through all the basic controller buttons: up, down, left right, start, select, a, b, x, y, l, r, l2, r2, analogue stick 1, analogue stick 2, l3, r3. I think Bind All Default resets it to however the system detects your controller at first. If you find your buttons aren't mapping correctly, uncheck the box at the top that autodetects/autobinds your controls.

4. I still haven't found a way to switch controllers as 1st player without rebinding/moving controllers physically around. It's stupid. I use the original NES/SNES controllers, and I pretty much just leave one controller in for what I prefer to play, and use the keyboard to navigate the emulator menu.

Bel Monte posted:

I'm not one, but I will say this. Just playing around with XBMC lately, I really think it's the superior choice. Even on a desktop, having a set up where you click on box art for a game, or a name if you need it, and it opens it up in an emulator of your choosing (retroarch applies if you still wanna work with it), it's amazing. I don't know, it just feels better in every way.

Maybe give it a chance and see how you feel about it through youtube? Plenty of demonstration videos there to see how you like the UI.
I'm weird though, I like simple and "it just works" even if it needs configuring, over days of configs. Then again, my work is hella ramping up over the summer so I don't have the time for menial unfun configuring ini's right now.

The reason my personal preference is retroarch, is that it tries to be as accurate as possible and has a bunch of shaders/filters you can use on-top of accurate emulators, so that it looks like you are playing the actual console (and on a tube tv).

Is XBMC as accurate in emulation? Does it also have shaders/filters that make the picture closer to the real thing?

• Locked thread