Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SouthsideSaint posted:

^ my thoughts exactly
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/4957717326.html This is the 80 ive been admiring. Its really clean and doesn't look like turd with the tints. Also it has no rust for a Midwestern car.

I'd go for the V8, at least it is actually a Quattro, giving you that extra safety factor that really made the Audi what it is at the time. The 80 with the 4 cylinder is a FWD.

Sure, the gas efficiency will suffer, but its made up for by drivability and safety.

If you do go for EITHER of these Audis, flush the transmissions ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I'd go for the V8, at least it is actually a Quattro, giving you that extra safety factor that really made the Audi what it is at the time. The 80 with the 4 cylinder is a FWD.

Sure, the gas efficiency will suffer, but its made up for by drivability and safety.

If you do go for EITHER of these Audis, flush the transmissions ASAP.

Yeah I'm torn in between the two. But knowing my wife shes gonna try and get me to pick up a 300td seeing as a few have just popped up on craigslist. She has the final say on most stuff so I have a feeling like I will be rolling around in a benz sooner then later.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SouthsideSaint posted:

Yeah I'm torn in between the two. But knowing my wife shes gonna try and get me to pick up a 300td seeing as a few have just popped up on craigslist. She has the final say on most stuff so I have a feeling like I will be rolling around in a benz sooner then later.

Can't go wrong with a Merc. Well, you CAN, but its a Turbodiesel, so its worth it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
It was car cleaning day!

And the wife's Volvo

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Trouserchilli owned a V8 Quattro, it might be worth talking to him about the car pros cons etc.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
So, interested in 4x100 GTI Snowflakes? I'll have to see how many I have (it's at least 6, might be 8).

::EDIT::

\/\/\/ How many would you want, and you are out in CO, right? I'm in MA, so shipping won't be cheap. Most of them have tires mounted, but they are ancient. If needed, I can get the tires dismounted.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 6, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

So, interested in 4x100 GTI Snowflakes? I'll have to see how many I have (it's at least 6, might be 8).

I am, let me know!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Trouserchilli owned a V8 Quattro, it might be worth talking to him about the car pros cons etc.

I think he sold it after it's first autocross, as it started running on 4 cylinders.

Also UFO brakes.

No thanks!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New speaker time!

In with the new

Out with the (very) old

The previous owner had even cut the stock rear tweeter wires, which I re-hooked up, they sound great!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just wanted to bump the thread to announce: I'll be at Southern Worthersee in Helen, GA this weekend. If you can make it, look for the white Audi 90 with a German tag on the front that says 'Audi 90'

See you there!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Washed, vaccumed, polished, rims touched up with a new coat of paint, and ready for Southern Wurthersee tomorrow!

But before I get on the highway, I'm going to go have the wheel balances checked, I found a MASSIVE amount of wheel weights on one tire.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Had a lot of fun at Southern Wurthersee with SuperDucky. Unfortunately, the show is mostly turning into stance and ricer stuff it seems like, which wasn't exactly what I was hoping it be.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So on my 2012 Jetta TDI, am I going to ruin everything if I do the gimmick where you just soak a fuel filter in diesel to saturate it before replacing it as opposed to priming the pump via vcds?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AlternateAccount posted:

So on my 2012 Jetta TDI, am I going to ruin everything if I do the gimmick where you just soak a fuel filter in diesel to saturate it before replacing it as opposed to priming the pump via vcds?

No, its pretty common practice to pre-soak the filters among the few I've changed, naturally run the priming cycle if you have access to VCDS, but otherwise it shouldn't cause any harm. Just make sure you saturate the filter as close to the top of the filter as possible.

Almost done fixing everything on the Audi, just have to get the AC charged. I fixed the sprayers for the headlights and replaced the hose for the windshield washers that was leaking. Now my dash gives me a nice 'OK' when I start the car instead of giving me the Windshield fluid warning emblem

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 27, 2015

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK thank you. Now I just have to figure out if I want to be a cheapass and try to do the DSG service without vcds.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

AlternateAccount posted:

OK thank you. Now I just have to figure out if I want to be a cheapass and try to do the DSG service without vcds.

You'll find 99% of mechs just change the fluid and filter, no VCDS.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

Quoted for posterity. I've rarely used VCDS unless I need to do advanced diagnostics.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mooseykins posted:

Whoa. That's kind of terrifying reading all the BIG SCARY WARNINGS. So just jack it up level, make sure the fluid is good and hot and try not to burn yourself while refilling? Or do they carefully measure what comes out and replace that much?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

AlternateAccount posted:

Whoa. That's kind of terrifying reading all the BIG SCARY WARNINGS. So just jack it up level, make sure the fluid is good and hot and try not to burn yourself while refilling? Or do they carefully measure what comes out and replace that much?

Jack it up, remove airbox/battery tray, remove the filter (unscrew the cap, let it drain, so it doesn't drip all over the gearbox), then drain the oil.

If it doesn't show any sign of leakage we measure the drained fluid (plus what has dripped off the filter) and replace that much, plus just a little bit more. (25-75ml usually) The whole fluid level measuring procedure is a pain in the rear end, and really only performed after gearbox replacement or rebuild. (Or with the Multitronic CVTs we follow the proper method for filling and checking level because they're finnicky shitboxes.)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mooseykins posted:

Jack it up, remove airbox/battery tray, remove the filter (unscrew the cap, let it drain, so it doesn't drip all over the gearbox), then drain the oil.

If it doesn't show any sign of leakage we measure the drained fluid (plus what has dripped off the filter) and replace that much, plus just a little bit more. (25-75ml usually) The whole fluid level measuring procedure is a pain in the rear end, and really only performed after gearbox replacement or rebuild. (Or with the Multitronic CVTs we follow the proper method for filling and checking level because they're finnicky shitboxes.)

What's your typical method of measuring the drained oil? Big glass kitchen style measuring cup? I feel like there should be an obvious smart way, but it's not coming to me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

AlternateAccount posted:

What's your typical method of measuring the drained oil? Big glass kitchen style measuring cup? I feel like there should be an obvious smart way, but it's not coming to me.

A lot of the time oil bottles come with a grade on the side so you can measure how much you just farted into your car.

I always pour my used engine oil into the oil container it came out of originally, though I admit this solution doesn't work great for you here unless you have an extra empty bottle lying around.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

AlternateAccount posted:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

AlternateAccount posted:

What's your typical method of measuring the drained oil?

Precision guesswork.

We usually have an empty plastic oil bottle with a measuring scale up the side, nothing fancy.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It's difficult to measure how much got all over the floor.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

It's difficult to measure how much got all over the floor.

Surface area, motherfucker. Someone should make an iPhone app with OpenCV called "what the gently caress did I just spill and how much?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Surface area, motherfucker. Someone should make an iPhone app with OpenCV called "what the gently caress did I just spill and how much?"

"Siri, how much oil is that on the floor?"

Siri: "Calling the EPA, Bob"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Finished the distributor for the 3B, now it has 5 windows so I can use it as a trigger for the Megasquirt to do batch injection.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
In regards to megasquirt. I know it can't (or crudely) drive sequential fuel injection, but how would batch fire work on a 5 cylinder? I know with a 4, 6, or 8 it would just fire injectors evenly... but wouldn't one cylinder get more fuel than the rest?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

In regards to megasquirt. I know it can't (or crudely) drive sequential fuel injection, but how would batch fire work on a 5 cylinder? I know with a 4, 6, or 8 it would just fire injectors evenly... but wouldn't one cylinder get more fuel than the rest?

We're basically doing a V6 setup with an injector missing, driving 3 off one driver and 2 off the other.

In reality, we're basically doing a Ghetto eCIS system.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

We're basically doing a V6 setup with an injector missing, driving 3 off one driver and 2 off the other.

In reality, we're basically doing a Ghetto eCIS system.

Ah, makes complete sense now. I was thinking how I would drive it with a even cylinder engine. I assume that you're running split manifolds in order to fool the 02 sensors in the computer into thinking every thing is kosher?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ah, makes complete sense now. I was thinking how I would drive it with a even cylinder engine. I assume that you're running split manifolds in order to fool the 02 sensors in the computer into thinking every thing is kosher?

I'm not sure how we'll solve that yet, you bring up a good point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just purchased a 60-2 trigger wheel for the crank.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

I'm not sure how we'll solve that yet, you bring up a good point.

How are Audi manifolds set up? I know if your in Georgia land maybe you can make a trip south to America's Wang and see if uf can weld up a split manifold.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How are Audi manifolds set up? I know if your in Georgia land maybe you can make a trip south to America's Wang and see if uf can weld up a split manifold.

The 3B came with a split downpipe, but I'm running a single exhaust so I have to have the downpipe modded.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thinking a little bit about it, a single 02 sensor should work. Are you using Megasquirt to drive the coil as well, or is that going to be its own system? I know BMW's of that vintage used Motronic to run the coils, Mercedes used a black box system, but I have no idea what Audi was doing then.

Id be interested, I know I plan to eventually run MS on the JJJJAAAAGGG, but just doing the simple TBI injection. I thought about driving the ignition with it, but it has an MSD system on it, so I may just run that by itself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Thinking a little bit about it, a single 02 sensor should work. Are you using Megasquirt to drive the coil as well, or is that going to be its own system? I know BMW's of that vintage used Motronic to run the coils, Mercedes used a black box system, but I have no idea what Audi was doing then.

Id be interested, I know I plan to eventually run MS on the JJJJAAAAGGG, but just doing the simple TBI injection. I thought about driving the ignition with it, but it has an MSD system on it, so I may just run that by itself.

No, the ignition will remain largely intact and a separate system. Megasquirt will just drive the EFI

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
How is this going to affect your emissions since you're in the metro?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

How is this going to affect your emissions since you're in the metro?

The car is too old for emissions, even the 90 is outside of the age for emissions testing.

The only car in our little fleet that gets tested is the 2002 Volvo XV70 XC

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

The car is too old for emissions, even the 90 is outside of the age for emissions testing.

The only car in our little fleet that gets tested is the 2002 Volvo XV70 XC

Oh yeah, forgot about the exemption. Carry on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

CommieGIR posted:

Just purchased a 60-2 trigger wheel for the crank.
Nice. Make sure to check for run out if they're universal from diyautotune, I bought a few of these about 5 years ago and I had to chuck them up on the lathe and skim the OD because the run out was so bad.

CommieGIR posted:

No, the ignition will remain largely intact and a separate system. Megasquirt will just drive the EFI
Whyyyy???

The 5 window you installed on the dizzy will drive an ms for fuel and spark without the crank trigger (batch fuel, single coil + distributor spark).
You can also run just the 60-2 as a v10 in wasted spark mode and get rid of the dizzy altogether.
If you use the 60-2 wheel on the crank, you can make the dizzy trigger into a one window for cam sync and have sequential spark and even do coil on plug. Add 3 injector drivers and go full sequential.

You leave so much on the table when you don't do spark control.

• Locked thread