Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

morestuff posted:

They did, MLB.tv is considered one of the best streaming platforms.

That actually makes me wonder if using MLB.tv's platform is part of the problem. Televised baseball is often.....static*, let's say. Which presumably would lend itself well to a variable frame rate compression algorithm since the camera is not moving or barely moving.

But apply that same frame rate to a narrative show, you're inevitably going to have some scenes where the frame rate drops and it's noticeable. Which I believe is one of the chief complaints about HBO Now.

*static is code for "boring as poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

LloydDobler posted:

Makes you wonder why they wouldn't just outsource the whole goddamn thing through Netflix or Amazon. Zero infrastructure to build, solid network already in place, solid interface already in place. Just pass the data files over. Hell I'd pay an additional $10 or whatever to Netflix for the "HBO access pack" or whatever they wanted to call it.

That's exactly what HBO pitched to Netflix some time ago, and Netflix didn't want to have a premium tier separate from everything else.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldSenileGuy posted:

That actually makes me wonder if using MLB.tv's platform is part of the problem. Televised baseball is often.....static*, let's say. Which presumably would lend itself well to a variable frame rate compression algorithm since the camera is not moving or barely moving.

But apply that same frame rate to a narrative show, you're inevitably going to have some scenes where the frame rate drops and it's noticeable. Which I believe is one of the chief complaints about HBO Now.

I don't think this is the case, since WWE uses MLB.tv as the backbone for their network (both live streaming and on-demand) and the performance is rock-solid.

quote:

I will fight you

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

OldSenileGuy posted:

You also have to factor in the percentage of baseball viewers who are piss drunk and don't care about frame rates or jay pegs

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Why would a camera angle changing make the service throttle? A camera angle changing doesn't change anything with the data that is being received and displayed. Maybe I'm wrong someone who knows more about this stuff please correct me if so.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Magnus Gallant posted:

Why would a camera angle changing make the service throttle? A camera angle changing doesn't change anything with the data that is being received and displayed. Maybe I'm wrong someone who knows more about this stuff please correct me if so.

Let's put it like this:

Most streamed video is not just sending pictures of each frame. Instead, the data is keyframed (i.e. here's a new shot/scene) and then an algorithm is used to only change the parts of the picture that is updated.

So changing angles requires the entire frame to come down the pipe, rather than just the difference, which uses more bandwidth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_compensation

"Datamoshing" is possible because of these algorithms. gently caress with them and you get some interesting results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWiNOSgiIyQ

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Let's put it like this:

Most streamed video is not just sending pictures of each frame. Instead, the data is keyframed (i.e. here's a new shot/scene) and then an algorithm is used to only change the parts of the picture that is updated.

So changing angles requires the entire frame to come down the pipe, rather than just the difference, which uses more bandwidth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_compensation

"Datamoshing" is possible because of these algorithms.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Let's put it like this:

Yeah, and this is why sometimes on Hulu or Netflix when the camera/scene changes the screen will go all wonky for a second.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LogisticEarth posted:

Watched Zombeavers. Enjoyable. It skirts the line when it comes to "trying to hard to be a campy bad movie" but knows what it's trying to do and doesn't disappoint. Stick around for the credit music.
I'm looking forward to the next movie. I'd lay money down to bet that it'll be named (post-credits spoiler if you sat through it - or didn't, although you should because the song is amazing) Zombees :downsrim:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Erebus posted:

That's exactly what HBO pitched to Netflix some time ago, and Netflix didn't want to have a premium tier separate from everything else.

That's kind of a shame. Would have been a good combo. Just top off my main source of entertainment with the 1 major thing it's lacking and call it a day.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Confession Of Murder never lives up to its dope intro, but it's still entertaining. Some ill advised CGI tho.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

James Woods Fan posted:

Confession Of Murder never lives up to its dope intro, but it's still entertaining. Some ill advised CGI tho.

I really liked the way it played with the Korean revenge genre. If you're not familiar with the style it will probably be too melodramatic for you.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I watched Noah last night for some reason and what the gently caress is this movie. Noah telling the story of creation is the only part I found redeeming. Well, I guess I enjoyed mocking it but that only goes so far when I'm the only one watching, haha.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I watched Noah last night for some reason and what the gently caress is this movie. Noah telling the story of creation is the only part I found redeeming. Well, I guess I enjoyed mocking it but that only goes so far when I'm the only one watching, haha.

It's pretty good, it just drags near the end.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
I liked it but I wanted more, and weirder, angels.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Noah was great.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It was a really good movie. I'm sorry you didn't appreciate it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Special Forces - French action movie - entertaining

Basically Tears of the Sun in Afghanistan.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 27, 2015

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Noah is one of the most :psyduck: movies of the decade so far to the point where the only qualitative judgment I can make and stand by is the opening credits look like poo poo.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Special Forces - French action movie - entertaining

Basically Tears of the Sun in Afghanistan.

I just double featured Special Forces with Soldiers of Fortune (a Christian Slater movie) both of them were pretty good.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Noah was a film. I watched it. It had CGI. It did well in the theaters. It was 138 minutes long. I wish I had been high when I saw it. I don't say that in that "dude, this movie is nuts! I wish I had what the guy who made this was smokin!" kind of way. I mean that if I was high I would have been enrapt by the first 40 minutes, then would have fallen asleep and gotten a choice nap in; I imagine my dreams would have been influenced by the other 98 minutes of audio. I would also be 24 years old, since that is the last time I was high. I am not 24 any more. Noah made me wish I was 24 again.

I give it 4.5/10 rock monster angel boys, doing man a kindness

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I too miss the salad days of March 2014

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

What are some good options on Netflix for psychological horror? Jacob's Ladder remains the gold standard for me, if that helps narrow down what I mean.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Watched Cheap Thrills last night (Amazon Prime), and what a fun stupid ride. I give it a solid B.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Nolanar posted:

What are some good options on Netflix for psychological horror? Jacob's Ladder remains the gold standard for me, if that helps narrow down what I mean.

World's Greatest Dad

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Nolanar posted:

Similar to Jacob's Ladder: The Machinist, American Psycho, Berberian Sound Studio

General psych horror recommendations: Oculus, Rosemary's Baby, I Saw the Devil, The Snowtown Murders, The Babadook.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

World's Greatest Dad

This but for real. It's a legit good movie.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Basebf555 posted:

Similar to Jacob's Ladder: The Machinist, American Psycho, Berberian Sound Studio

General psych horror recommendations: Oculus, Rosemary's Baby, I Saw the Devil, The Snowtown Murders, The Babadook.

I've seen and really liked American Psycho and Rosemary's Baby, and the Babadook and Berberian Sound Studio have been on my list for a while. The rest of these sound great, thanks!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

World's Greatest Dad

Fayez Butts posted:

...I see. I'll check it out, but I can't say I'm not skeptical.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nolanar posted:

You may like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. It's always hard to know what to recommend though, especially in this case as I don't much like Jacob's Ladder.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Nolanar posted:

I've seen and really liked American Psycho and Rosemary's Baby, and the Babadook and Berberian Sound Studio have been on my list for a while. The rest of these sound great, thanks!

If I had to choose one to recommend it would be I Saw the Devil, which I feel is unique, I've not seen anything quite like it. Both Snowtown Murders and I Saw the Devil may not sound like psychological horror/thrillers when you read a quick description of them but they do actually focus quite a bit on what makes the characters tick, and both have a kind of unreal atmosphere to them.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You may like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. It's always hard to know what to recommend though, especially in this case as I don't much like Jacob's Ladder.

Every time it's mentioned I say this, but Henry is straight-up the most terrifying movie I have ever seen.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is loving great, and also loving disturbing.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
It was so disturbing I couldn't get through it. I sound like a puss saying that but it's true. This was like ten years ago though.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Speaking of McNaughton, is The Harvest(2013) with Michael Shannon worth checking out?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Nolanar posted:

That's understandable. It looks like a lovely Robin Williams movie when in reality it's a pitch black comedy

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Nolanar posted:

It's a phenomenal movie, but I wouldn't put it in the psych horror category. It's definitely a black comedy, unless we're talking about something other than the Bob Goldthwait picture.

e: Quick recommendation for The Divine Move. It's catalogued in Netflix as Sin-ui hansu. It's about a Go player out for revenge, which should really be all you need to know.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 27, 2015

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Basebf555 posted:

If I had to choose one to recommend it would be I Saw the Devil, which I feel is unique, I've not seen anything quite like it. Both Snowtown Murders and I Saw the Devil may not sound like psychological horror/thrillers when you read a quick description of them but they do actually focus quite a bit on what makes the characters tick, and both have a kind of unreal atmosphere to them.

I watched I saw the devil last week and I hosed with it heavy

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Fayez Butts posted:

I was being serious. It is a thriller at its core.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Parachute posted:

Speaking of McNaughton, is The Harvest(2013) with Michael Shannon worth checking out?

Noooooooooooo. I love Michael Shannon, and he was the only reason I watched it. It was terrible, and I felt embarrassed for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Parachute posted:

I honestly thought it was decent. I kind of wonder if the guy above me is thinking of The Iceman, which was really, really, really loving bad.