Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Don't forget about calling someone you don't agree with politically a "fat IT guy".

Let's not gloss over the true entertainment here.

So how accurate was that statement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Don't forget about calling someone you don't agree with politically a "fat IT guy".

Let's not gloss over the true entertainment here.

Huh? I was talking about myself, i'm a fat IT guy

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Everyone knows that Clinton was using the email server to dodge public records requirements just like every other politician does

Who else in the Obama administration used private email exclusively?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

538 has him as "moderate," what's his deal?

Except that "moderate" in today's GOP means "not a blood-gargling fundamentalist psychopath 100% of the time".

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I don't see why any of this is a big deal. SCOTUS already said they don't think money corrupts.

The court has recently found that only clear and proven quid pro quo is corruption. Ingratiation and access via direct monetary contribution are not corruption.

That speakers may have influence over or access to elected officials does not mean that those officials are corrupt. And the appearance of influence or access will not cause the electorate to lose faith in this democracy.

So is the complaint that SOS isn't elected?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

538 has him as "moderate," what's his deal?

He's a thoroughly boring former governor.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
George Pataki could cut into Lindsey Graham's base of people who really like effeminate "moderates" who pledge to exterminate the Arab race.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

George Pataki, the former Republican governor of NY, is also announcing that he's running tomorrow. I really have no idea what his strategy is supposed to be. The crazy train is already full.

Q: What is the passenger limit for the RNC candidate crazy train?
A: One More

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

And the appearance of influence or access will not cause the electorate to lose faith in this democracy.

I can't remember is this something SCOTUS actually said or is it just the logical reasoning after the ruling?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

tsa posted:

Arkane said it though, he could say the sky is blue and you'd have dumbasses here trying to argue.

He wouldn't say the sky is blue. He'd say the sky is blue and therefore global warming isn't real.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"Rand Paul: "ISIS exists...because of hawks" in the GOP"
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/election-2016-rand-paul-isis-exists-because-of-hawks-in-the-gop/

quote:

"ISIS exists and grew stronger because of the hawks in our party who gave arms indiscriminately, and most of those arms were snatched up by ISIS. These hawks also wanted to bomb [Syrian dictator Bashar] Assad, which would have made ISIS's job even easier."

:getin:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FlamingLiberal posted:

George Pataki, the former Republican governor of NY, is also announcing that he's running tomorrow. I really have no idea what his strategy is supposed to be. The crazy train is already full.

New York governors should not run for president. Not Pataki and certainly not any of the utterly useless morons who came after him either.

If Andrew Cuomo ever becomes a serious presidential candidate, we are hosed.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Dolash posted:

I was too young to really follow politics in the 90s, is this what we have to look forward to for the next nine years? Endless insinuation and half-baked "follow the money" conspiracies?

Oh no, of course not.

Clinton-induced insanity gets much, much worse than this.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Radish posted:

I can't remember is this something SCOTUS actually said or is it just the logical reasoning after the ruling?

It's a near quote.

quote:

independent expenditures, including those made by corporations, do not give rise to corruption is the appearance of corruption

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

It's a quote from the Citizens United opinion.

Edit: from the syllabus not opinion.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 27, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Clinton's talk in SC

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2015/may/27/politics-rand-paul-santorum-clinton-fiorina#block-5565f34fe4b04f693964a963

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I couldn't remember if the Justices were that blatant in their contempt for the populace as if we are so dumb that we are going to ignore things happening in front of our faces as long as a bunch of old lawyers assured us that all is ok.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rand Paul also apparently wants to declare actual war on ISIS via the legislature, as per the Constitution, which strikes me as a particularly bad idea as it would give them legitimate recognition as a state. What's next, Rand, you want ISIS to have representation in the UN?

Just kidding, all good Paulites know the UN is a Commufascist plot to make your kids drink fluoridated broccoli water.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

mlmp08 posted:

I don't see why any of this is a big deal. SCOTUS already said they don't think money corrupts.

The court has recently found that only clear and proven quid pro quo is corruption. Ingratiation and access via direct monetary contribution are not corruption.

That speakers may have influence over or access to elected officials does not mean that those officials are corrupt. And the appearance of influence or access will not cause the electorate to lose faith in this democracy.

So is the complaint that SOS isn't elected?

Is this what the Democratic Party has come down to? Handwaving the influence of big money on elected officials and unelected bureaucrats?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cugel the Clever posted:

Is this what the Democratic Party has come down to? Handwaving the influence of big money on elected officials and unelected bureaucrats?

No, this is me mocking what I think are a bunch of dumb ideas that came straight from SCOTUS. The sad part is that I don't have to mock by exaggerating their reasoning. I can just quote it deadpan and it still reads with incredulity.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Cubey posted:

New York governors should not run for president. Not Pataki and certainly not any of the utterly useless morons who came after him either.

If Andrew Cuomo ever becomes a serious presidential candidate, we are hosed.

He certainly won't this election cycle, and I have my doubt that he can ever rehabilitate himself for any higher office than his current one. His popularity in New York is tanking hard.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Cubey posted:

New York governors should not run for president.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Dolash posted:

I was too young to really follow politics in the 90s, is this what we have to look forward to for the next nine years? Endless insinuation and half-baked "follow the money" conspiracies?

It's going to get far more entertaining once the primaries are over and the actual race starts. Remember, Hillary has literally been accused of everything in the last twenty five years from high treason and capital murder to petty theft (look up the one about her stealing White House furniture when Bill left office for a good laugh). Whining about her email habits and possible tax dodges is nothing compared to the full-screaming noise machine that's coming. I'm looking forward to the next conpsiracy theory about Hillary murdering someone - my money's on some Dem congresscritter having an unexpected heart attack and the screams will come up that he was killed for not supporting her/having evidence of Yet Another Bad Thing We Swear.

quote:

Almost seems like they're wasting their ammunition, since it's not like any of this is enough to derail Hillary from getting the nomination. Shouldn't they wait for the general election before trying this, to avoid outrage fatigue setting in early?

There hasn't been a point in the last twenty five years where they haven't been firing full guns at her. Slowed down, yes, but never stopped. There's a reason the public as a whole is exhausted about the accusations and barely pays attention anymore. We're closing in on three decades of screaming with minimal to no evidence. There's no benefit to them stopping now since they're well past the saturation point; and if they hit the general Hillary's probably going to obliterate whoever the GOP nominee is.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Cugel the Clever posted:

Judging by this thread and the US Pol thread, yes. Also, Fox News says bad things = Clinton's awesome/smart/cool/etc.

Accepting donations from that Qatar Committee and the state itself is scummy as gently caress considering the horrible poo poo their people are experiencing in preparation for the future hosting.

Mitt Romney was villified for his corporate background and how that played into his political ambitions but it apparently the Clintons are savvy for the amount of money they take in, who they take money from, and for what, the 2nd case of millions of unreported moneys coming into the foundation? FOX NEWS LOL though so whatever.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Judging by this thread and the US Pol thread, yes. Also, Fox News says bad things = Clinton's awesome/smart/cool/etc.

Accepting donations from that Qatar Committee and the state itself is scummy as gently caress considering the horrible poo poo their people are experiencing in preparation for the future hosting.

Mitt Romney was villified for his corporate background and how that played into his political ambitions but it apparently the Clintons are savvy for the amount of money they take in, who they take money from, and for what, the 2nd case of millions of unreported moneys coming into the foundation? FOX NEWS LOL though so whatever.

But did you know that Hillary and William Clinton murdered Vince Foster?

more at http://www.geocities.com/clintonbodycount.html

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Mitt Romney was vilified because his background was that of a corporate hatchet man. And I'm not terribly bothered by whatever arcane financial parlor tricks the Clintons are pulling because I can't even feign outrage at that sort of thing anymore. It's de rigueur. It's all penny-ante bullshit and it makes me nostalgic for the days where people were accusing Bill of running drugs through the Arkansas governor's office and tying teenagers to railroad tracks to cover up his crimes. At least that was entertaining.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 27, 2015

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mitt Romney was villified for his corporate background and how that played into his political ambitions but it apparently the Clintons are savvy for the amount of money they take in, who they take money from, and for what, the 2nd case of millions of unreported moneys coming into the foundation? FOX NEWS LOL though so whatever
Just look at all this airtight evidence of specific Clinton wrongdoing. Amazing, my eyes are finally open.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

If arkane had come in with that or that the Qatar donations make her look hypocritical as gently caress when thE Clinton foundation is supposed to be for pro-human rights no one would be arguing with him right now. Instead he comes in claiming that it's pure bribery for the dumbest of possible reasons to bribe someone. Hillary is a hypocritical new way democrat but she isn't a criminal mastermind for fucks sake.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

If we get a video leak of Hillary Clinton calling 47% of Americans parasitic welfare leeches, then we can start legitimately comparing her corrupt plutocratic self to Mitt Romney; until then, I'm pretty unfazed by the revelation that 'wealthy powerful people do shady stuff to stay wealthy & powerful'.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
If someone at least tried to fake a Clinton email like RE:RE:RE: SECRET PLAN TO MURDER CONSULATE, DO NOT STEAL, I might be prepared to care for thirty seconds. But no one does, because everyone's drained of all conviction. Richard Mellon Scaife is dead and I don't feel so good myself.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

You do know that the Clinton Foundation is a charity, right? These aren't campaign contributions or personal gifts. If the organization spends their money the way they say they do then it doesn't really matter where it comes from.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

my bony fealty posted:

If we get a video leak of Hillary Clinton calling 47% of Americans parasitic welfare leeches, then we can start legitimately comparing her corrupt plutocratic self to Mitt Romney; until then, I'm pretty unfazed by the revelation that 'wealthy powerful people do shady stuff to stay wealthy & powerful'.

lol yes, as long as she says the right platitudes while campaigning we should ignore her doing "shady stuff to stay wealthy & powerful."

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

You do know that the Clinton Foundation is a charity, right? These aren't campaign contributions or personal gifts. If the organization spends their money the way they say they do then it doesn't really matter where it comes from.

Yeah, I'm sure the Qatari World Cup committee is very interested in the plight of Haitians and was expecting nothing in return from the Clintons for donating millions of dollars to their foundation.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If arkane had come in with that or that the Qatar donations make her look hypocritical as gently caress when thE Clinton foundation is supposed to be for pro-human rights no one would be arguing with him right now. Instead he comes in claiming that it's pure bribery for the dumbest of possible reasons to bribe someone. Hillary is a hypocritical new way democrat but she isn't a criminal mastermind for fucks sake.

That's the rub though, nobody cares. Nobody will care. It's Clinton, and she's not (insert Republican here), so no one will care. That's my issue. Everything is dismissed out of hand.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Mitt Romney was villified for his corporate background and how that played into his political ambitions

Wait but he cut a kid's hair once because it was long.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Wait but he cut a kid's hair once because it was long.

Are you really going to defend this of all things?

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Arkane's post was one step above shallow, lovely conspiracy theory gibberish. There are plenty of reasons to excoriate both Hillary and the modern Democratic Party for being too unprincipled, too conservative, etc. Vast Right Wing Conspiracy stupidity isn't among those reasons.

On the other hand, the answer to your question quite aside from the frothy nonsense Arkane posts is, "yes." Hillary in particular but the Democratic Party in general isn't immune from the same Party Uber Alles mentality that infects Republicans. Democrats and many centrists who call themselves liberal will quite happily excuse and rationalize their voting habits, and that includes and requires ignoring, excusing and rationalizing behavior they'd be in a poo poo-throwing monkey rage over if the other team engaged in it. Welcome to partisan politics.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the Qatari World Cup committee is very interested in the plight of Haitians and was expecting nothing in return from the Clintons for donating millions of dollars to their foundation.

Yeah it's a mystery to me why a commercial concern with a negative reputation would donate to a charitable organization.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

lol yes, as long as she says the right platitudes while campaigning we should ignore her doing "shady stuff to stay wealthy & powerful."

Correct, welcome to party politics :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

:argh: Big Football!

• Locked thread