Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, I never found myself looking down at the gamepad other than to spawn. I just look around to get a sense of the turf war just as fast as looking down at the screen. You can check the overall paint progress when you spawn but otherwise I keep my eyes on the action; lest some roller come up behind me.

You can tell when a roller's coming up behind you by glancing at the map and seeing your ink getting covered up behind you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Suaimhneas posted:

You can tell when a roller's coming up behind you by glancing at the map and seeing your ink getting covered up behind you

Well, he can't. Rofl

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just chiming in to say that Wonderful 101 is still the only game to make good use of the gamepad for very very obvious reasons and as good as splatoon is a map and quick jump thing isn't even close.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

right now definitely a squid

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Suaimhneas posted:

Or you can turn around and look at them? Situational awareness is important in shooters and I find it much easier to look around than to glance down.

The only thing the map is really useful for is noticing if somebody in a corner of the map far from you is covering up all your poo poo, and you can check that every so often when you die. And the idea here is that if you were doing offscreen, you could pop up a map to check too. It wouldn't be that different from looking down.

I like how you guys are simultaneously arguing that not having a menu screen you can look down at would make players so bad they hold their teams back, but at the same time having an on-screen map would be too good because having to look down and not be able to see the action is an inherent design to make it harder to keep track or something. :v: which is it?

bushisms.txt posted:

But why can't the developer say, "No I won't allow you to play my game wrong, so that later you don't comp[lain about other balance issues already addressed through these design decisions?"

You're forgetting about the other 3 players on your team who now have one less person working towards the goal. In this game, the disadvantage is really felt, especially with 4v4.

This is a game where little kids are going to spray ink at people and most of them won't ever look at the gamepad. If you're approaching this like you're about to go to an MLG tournament that's the wrong mentality completely.

Reminder this is a game for kids-squids-kids to have fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCqj2qsZnx8

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
If you don't look at the map, that means you don't have map awareness. If you don't have map awareness you're bad. Well, that's my guide for the use of the map in Splatoon, coming soon to the Wii U. Hope you found it helpful.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zaphod42 posted:

Or you can turn around and look at them? Situational awareness is important in shooters and I find it much easier to look around than to glance down.

The only thing the map is really useful for is noticing if somebody in a corner of the map far from you is covering up all your poo poo, and you can check that every so often when you die. And the idea here is that if you were doing offscreen, you could pop up a map to check too. It wouldn't be that different from looking down.

I like how you guys are simultaneously arguing that not having a menu screen you can look down at would make players so bad they hold their teams back, but at the same time having an on-screen map would be too good because having to look down and not be able to see the action is an inherent design to make it harder to keep track or something. :v: which is it?

This is a game where little kids are going to spray ink at people and most of them won't ever look at the gamepad. If you're approaching this like you're about to go to an MLG tournament that's the wrong mentality completely.

Reminder this is a game for kids-squids-kids to have fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCqj2qsZnx8

Jesus

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
You know what would be cool? Is if we could inaugurate the release of this game by having a good old fashioned gamefaqs flame war. Sounds loving kickass. Let's have at it, boys.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
From beyond the grave, Future Shop has given me the Splatoon Costumes for Smash Bros. I didn't even think this was a thing when they were in business?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sade posted:

You know what would be cool? Is if we could inaugurate the release of this game by having a good old fashioned gamefaqs flame war. Sounds loving kickass. Let's have at it, boys.

Despite the serious efforts of posters like Lemming, I think its over. Sorry buddy.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!

Thanks

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

pichupal posted:

From beyond the grave, Future Shop has given me the Splatoon Costumes for Smash Bros. I didn't even think this was a thing when they were in business?

I'm still peeved that there's no way to get a digital copy of Splatoon and still get the Inkling costumes for Smash. hopefully they'll be sold later.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I know they're adding lobbies for ranked, but I hope they add turf war as a ranked lobby as well. 4v4 with people who know what they're doing plus external voice chat would be sick as hell.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jivjov posted:

I'm still peeved that there's no way to get a digital copy of Splatoon and still get the Inkling costumes for Smash. hopefully they'll be sold later.

Nintendo likes money and lately has been pretty keen on DLC, so it seems possible. I buy pretty much everything digital now so I'm kinda hoping the same.

Then again I never really bother with Mii Fighters in smash.

Lemming posted:

I know they're adding lobbies for ranked, but I hope they add turf war as a ranked lobby as well. 4v4 with people who know what they're doing plus external voice chat would be sick as hell.

Yeah it seems a little weird they presented it like the game modes would be segregated based on ranked vs unranked. I guess turf war is just meant to be a good ole time while the others are more objective, but turf war can still be plenty strategic. Maybe increase the round timer though so you have more time to fight it out.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Splatoon: FYAD is that way dude, Leave Splatoon Alone

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

Nintendo likes money and lately has been pretty keen on DLC, so it seems possible. I buy pretty much everything digital now so I'm kinda hoping the same.

I'm not super worried; the Hyrule Warriors costumes made it up on the eshop after a while, so I presume these will too...but I even went to GameStop and asked if I could preorder an eshop card instead of the game since they sell full games digitally now too...but they couldn't/wouldn't let me.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

jivjov posted:

I'm not super worried; the Hyrule Warriors costumes made it up on the eshop after a while, so I presume these will too...but I even went to GameStop and asked if I could preorder an eshop card instead of the game since they sell full games digitally now too...but they couldn't/wouldn't let me.

Could you just preorder at gamestop and then return the game? How do they even handle returns that have DLC as bonuses?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fix posted:

Could you just preorder at gamestop and then return the game? How do they even handle returns that have DLC as bonuses?

I could have...but that was just a step too much hassle over some costumes.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Hit level 10, bring on ranked mode.

Splatshot Jr is still my favourite weapon, least favourite by far is the Blaster.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

someone make a new splatoon thread when the game comes out

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
God drat you early birds, I have to wait TWO MORE DAYS.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

i think you should do it. you've got the right stuff.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I hope you can get the Blaster early because I don't want to use the machine guns I only want the Flame Baby

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

mabels big day posted:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Nice. Entered this just as we got to the stuff past World 3.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Wow this game is fun as gently caress. Are we getting loading screen games now that the Namco patent has expired or something?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blaisedell posted:

Wow this game is fun as gently caress. Are we getting loading screen games now that the Namco patent has expired or something?

Yep, exactly. gently caress patent law, we could have had this all along...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Listening to the final boss music atm holy poo poo it's great.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

jivjov posted:

You can't map a touchsceen control to a Pro Controller.

Sure you can. Use the controller to move a virtual finger, A to poke. It's just terrible.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

i havent heard it but i want it to be in smash bros

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

OST https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2mRsZ1C1wk&list=PLLzQ6vUyPeN6usmVaWrwCIzmubfZvM76e

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Conro101 posted:

I will miss offscreen play, but it's better than Captain Toad which just straight up shows the same thing on both screens, which was really annoying.

Really? I don't mind when games do that, it's the simplest sensible thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Keiya posted:

Really? I don't mind when games do that, it's the simplest sensible thing.

I think his point was its a bad use of the gamepad to just double the screens.

Unless you're using offscreen play, the gamepad should ideally show something other than the screen. A map or menu works well enough if you don't have anything else.
Its ultimately kinda a flaw with the WiiU itself; you can really take advantage of the gamepad or you can have offscreen play, but not both.

Although you can still do both as long as you adapt for it, like Monster Hunter did.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

is the music good? what i heard on the stream seemed underwhelming but the quality may have been doodoo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Deviant posted:

is the music good? what i heard on the stream seemed underwhelming but the quality may have been doodoo

Just listen yourself

Oh man this rastafarian squid song rules https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcdQzx09aFk

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm getting taint reaped aren't I? I said the onscreen map would never be used. Not that it'd be too good. Why would I waste time pulling up a dumb extra display more than when I died in a fast game like this? Not to mention that I played rounds in the testfire without dying once. So thats a whole game I might not have helped someone had I not just looked down. You're complaining that somehow this is more obtuse than pulling up a menu that covers your view so you can see the full map in real time, then using buttons to go down a list to find the person you want to hop on.

And yes this is a game for kid, and as a kid or a squid or what the gently caress ever, you don't get a choice in what the adults decide, so loving deal with it.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm getting taint reaped aren't I? I said the onscreen map would never be used. Not that it'd be too good. Why would I waste time pulling up a dumb extra display more than when I died in a fast game like this? Not to mention that I played rounds in the testfire without dying once. So thats a whole game I might not have helped someone had I not just looked down. You're complaining that somehow this is more obtuse than pulling up a menu that covers your view so you can see the full map in real time, then using buttons to go down a list to find the person you want to hop on.

And yes this is a game for kid, and as a kid or a squid or what the gently caress ever, you don't get a choice in what the adults decide, so loving deal with it.

Why would I waste time looking away from my t.v. and disorienting myself to look at a minimap that is ONLY available on the gamepad for no conceivable reason.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I looked away from the TV once, during an intense Gaming Session..... bam. Whiplash. Never again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

zolthorg posted:

Why would I waste time looking away from my t.v. and disorienting myself to look at a minimap that is ONLY available on the gamepad for no conceivable reason.

Because its not a waste of time, its not disorienting, and its only on the gamepad because last I checked none of the other Wii U controllers have a screen on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

Sorry grandpa. :smith: Can we still get ice cream on the way home?

• Locked thread