Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

FMguru posted:

Just look at all this airtight evidence of specific Clinton wrongdoing.

You're okay with high level officials to run, secure, and exclusively use their own email servers?

You're fine with money flowing directly to someone's spouse from parties associated in high level deals?

You have no problems with officials having untraceable oversight over which emails to hand over when investigated?

I mean god drat, pretend for a minute Scott Walker is sitting in the Executive and doing any of the above and tell me it's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah, no corruption there right?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Wait but he cut a kid's hair once because it was long.

This is the game you want to play? Really?

quote:

Today the Washington Post has a long article (by Internet standards) about Romney's days at the Michigan private school Cranbrook. Reporter Jason Horowitz corroborated the haircut incident with five former students who gave their accounts independently of one another. Romney was never disciplined, but the recipient of the trim, John Lauber, was later expelled. Back in 1965 he was a shy teen who was teased for "presumed homosexuality." Things got worse when he returned from break with bleached-blond hair that draped over one eye—a look that stood out at Cranbrook, which was largely favored by briefcase-carrying Republicans. According to what Horowitz pieced together:

quote:

“He can’t look like that. That’s wrong. Just look at him!” an incensed Romney told Matthew Friedemann, his close friend in the Stevens Hall dorm, according to Friedemann’s recollection. Mitt, the teenaged son of Michigan Gov. George Romney, kept complaining about Lauber’s look, Friedemann recalled.

A few days later, Friedemann entered Stevens Hall off the school’s collegiate quad to find Romney marching out of his own room ahead of a prep school posse shouting about their plan to cut Lauber’s hair. Friedemann followed them to a nearby room where they came upon Lauber, tackled him and pinned him to the ground. As Lauber, his eyes filling with tears, screamed for help, Romney repeatedly clipped his hair with a pair of scissors.

"It happened very quickly, and to this day it troubles me,” said [Thomas] Buford, the school’s wrestling champion, who said he joined Romney in restraining Lauber. Buford subsequently apologized to Lauber, who was “terrified,” he said. “What a senseless, stupid, idiotic thing to do.” ... "It was a hack job,” recalled Phillip Maxwell, a childhood friend of Romney who was in the dorm room when the incident occurred. “It was vicious."

"Cutting a kid's hair because it was long" is a LONG way from "terrorized gay student and cut his hair while he was pinned to the floor". Hillary's a typical rich person. Mitt Romney is a loving sociopath.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the Qatari World Cup committee is very interested in the plight of Haitians and was expecting nothing in return from the Clintons for donating millions of dollars to their foundation.

What favor are you proposing The Clinton Machine Bill And Hillary were able to give in return?

You're okay with high level officials to run, secure, and exclusively use their own email servers?

Yes, why wouldn't I be?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Yeah, no corruption there right?

Are you saying the state department approved weapons sales to the Qatar soccer team

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bill Clinton lead the US effort to get World Cup 2022, and during that period his foundation received millions from the actual winners which are at this moment embroiled in a corruption scandal involving millions in bribes. You have to be blinded by partisanship to not find that suspicious.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Are you saying the state department approved weapons sales to the Qatar soccer team

Does FIFA's terror know no bounds?!?!?!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Judging by this thread and the US Pol thread, yes. Also, Fox News says bad things = Clinton's awesome/smart/cool/etc.

See, this is a position that I don't understand where it comes from. (Other than blind idiot tribalism, of course.) There are a lot of people in D&D who admit that Hillary's almost certain to be the eventual Democratic nominee, yes. There are a good number who are pointing out that she holds (at least on the surface) a number of good, supportable positions on several issues, yes. There's a ton that at least grudgingly believe she's a better choice for President than all or nearly all of the current GOP clown car, absolutely. But I'm hard pressed to name more than two, maybe three people who are actually full-on supporters of hers.

Because yeah, she IS scummy. She's someone who's been a federal-level politicial figure for several decades. You don't get to that level let alone stay there without doing a bunch of things that are at least questionable. Oh no, one of the most influential and powerful figures in US politics who's been around for twenty-something years has overseas connections. What a shock! And she may have used her influence to do things for people who support her? Like literally every god damned politician ever? At least the accusations back in the 90s were interesting and novel.

I'd love for some kind of amazing super-candidate to come out of the woodwork and snatch the nomination (and the presidency) from her. But it's not happening. A year and a half from now, the real situation is that there's two actual drat choices on the table - one will almost certainly be Hilary (barring the super longshot of Bernie, which is a nice dream but not terribly likely) and the other is pretty much gauranteed to be someone who believes that we should go to war with Iran, cut our social safety nets completely, skew the tax structure even more heavily against those on the lower three-quarters of the income level and push the faces of every minority group in the country into the mud. I'll take someone who hides their emails over someone who openly says they'd like to re-institute sodomy laws, thank you very much.

I accept she's the preferable choice, but this constant harping of how much she's loved/accepted/supported is dumb and not held up by reality. I don't like Hillary and I never will, but the last eight years have been a pretty drat good case for putting aside idealism for at least delaying the dry-loving of the American dream.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

You're fine with money flowing directly to someone's spouse from parties associated in high level deals?

You have no problems with officials having untraceable oversight over which emails to hand over when investigated?

I mean god drat, pretend for a minute Scott Walker is sitting in the Executive and doing any of the above and tell me it's okay.

It's all bad but its all bad in the same level as everything every other candidate is doing and has done (with the possible exception of Sanders). Republican candidates have also done the private email thing. The charitable donations issue is bog standard lobbying these days and if it were illegal every single elected representative in Congress would be in jail.

I mean poo poo nobody * likes * Hillary. But none of this appears disqualifyingly illegal, and that's all that matters or that anyone cares about now. Because Clinton being shady is old news.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Bill Clinton lead the US effort to get World Cup 2022, and during that period his foundation received millions from the actual winners which are at this moment embroiled in a corruption scandal involving millions in bribes. You have to be blinded by partisanship to not find that suspicious.

John Roberts said money is free speech so I don't see what the problem is

Why do you hate freedom?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Donations being made to the Clinton Foundation to curry favor with the probable future president is a theory that is actually plausible (and tbh probably has some level of truth to it) compared to Arkane's insane theory of cash for arms.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
:getin:

quote:

A lot of people are very excited about Bernie Sanders's presidential campaign. It's not hard to figure out why: there are a lot of those progressives out there who are very concerned about economic inequality, the rise of the super-rich, the financial industry, and the role of money in American politics.

But there's a reason I say "those progressives" instead of just "progressives": because not everyone in the Democratic base shares those particular passions, or those passions alone. For other progressives — many of them black or Latino — economic inequality is important, but so is racial inequality. They're extremely concerned about racial bias in policing, and about ending mass incarceration. They're concerned about the treatment of unauthorized immigrants, and about protecting voting rights (an issue like campaign finance where progressives are worried the integrity of the political system is at stake — and where the outcome doesn't look good for them).

And Bernie Sanders doesn't speak to those concerns. He didn't mention those issues in his campaign launch yesterday, or in his email announcement to his supporters last month, and they're not on the issues page of his website.

This isn't an accidental oversight. These simply aren't issues Sanders is passionate about in the way he's passionate about economic injustice. When my colleague Andrew Prokop profiled Sanders last year, he pointed out astutely that Sanders's career has been "laser-focused on checking the power of the wealthy above all else." Sanders believes in racial equality, sure, but he believes it will only come as the result of economic equality. To him, focusing on racial issues first is merely treating the symptom, not the disease.

quote:

Even as a student at the University of Chicago in the 1960s, influenced by the hours he spent in the library stacks reading famous philosophers, (Sanders) became frustrated with his fellow student activists, who were more interested in race or imperialism than the class struggle. They couldn't see that everything they protested, he later said, was rooted in "an economic system in which the rich controls, to a large degree, the political and economic life of the country."

"Bernie is in many ways a 1930s radical as opposed to a 1960s radical," says professor Garrison Nelson of the University of Vermont. "The 1930s radicals were all about unions, corporations — basically economic issues rather than cultural ones." Richard Sugarman, an old friend who worked closely with Sanders during his early political career, concurs. "We spent much less time on social issues and much more time on economic issues," he told me. "Bernard always began with the question of, 'What is the economic fairness of the situation?'

So while there's one group of progressives who look at Sanders and see someone who has spent his career voicing their most deeply held beliefs about America, there are others who don't. And they don't have a Bernie Sanders — a decades-long champion — of their own in the race. Former Virginia Senator Jim Webb was interested in mass incarceration before it was cool, but also thinks the Democratic Party needs to do more to appeal to the white working class — so it's hard to imagine his campaign becoming the standard-bearer for nonwhite progressive concerns. And while former Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley has been trying to make a name for himself by running to Hillary Clinton's left on immigration, the protests over the killing of Freddie Gray and police behavior in Baltimore have reminded America of the role O'Malley played as mayor of Baltimore in creating the system that's so dysfunctional today.

But Sanders has only been able to build a career on talking about his own political principles, and assuming voters will respond, because he's in an unusual position for a Democratic (or Democratic-affiliated) politician. Sanders's Vermont is pretty homogeneous: 94 percent white, 96 percent American-born, relatively well-educated. Sanders has never had to win an election by working to appeal to white, black, and Latino voters all at once — he's won election after election by successfully representing the concerns of a single constituency. Most Democratic politicians at the statewide level don't have that option.

And a presidential candidate whose priority is winning the nomination and the presidency doesn't have that option, either. That's why frontrunner Hillary Clinton is the Democratic candidate who's spoken out the most about the concerns that animate nonwhite progressives. With early events focused on criminal justice and on immigration, it's clear that Clinton's campaign is trying to reach out to these progressives and tell them Clinton shares their pain.

Of course, unlike Sanders's decades-long record of economic progressivism, Clinton is moving to the left on issues that she hasn't historically been a progressive leader on (to say the least). But she's doing so because she appears to recognize that the party has changed since she was a first lady or a senator, and because she wants to win the nomination and the presidency, she needs to move to meet it. Sanders is running to make the same points he's always made: that the rich are too powerful in America and the government needs to fix it. Clinton is running to win as many votes as possible. She doesn't embody any single progressive passion the way Sanders embodies economic populism — but it looks like she's responding to the progressive concerns Sanders has mostly ignored.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

So they bribed the US and The Clinton Machine Bill And Hillary to not have the world cup in 2022? Is that your allegation?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

"Cutting a kid's hair because it was long" is a LONG way from "terrorized gay student and cut his hair while he was pinned to the floor".

So you're assuming he was gay because he had long hair too?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

But according to some D&D posters social progress is a given??

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Nintendo Kid posted:

So they bribed the US and The Clinton Machine Bill And Hillary to not have the world cup in 2022? Is that your allegation?

I'm looking at the list of Clinton Foundation contributors on Wikipedia and just trembling at the thought of the terrible favors the Clintons must owe the founder of Slim Fast.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Donations being made to the Clinton Foundation to curry favor with the probable future president is a theory that is actually plausible (and tbh probably has some level of truth to it) compared to Arkane's insane theory of cash for arms.

Both arms manufacturers and people buying them were giving money directly to Bill Clinton.

You're saying that drawing a connection between the two is implausible.

That is your stated position.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
When a pro quo emerges from the Qatari World Cup's involvement with the Clinton Foundation, I might give a gently caress. Until then I'm going to assume its just the latest in the endless parade of teapot tempests that this time, surely this time, will prove that the Clintons are power-mad Caliguloids.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

It's as if he's not capable of understanding why a woman would ever want to end a pregnancy in the first place.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Both arms manufacturers and people buying them were giving money directly to Bill Clinton.

And what is your allegation that this means for The Clinton Machine Bill And Hillary?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Is this better or worse than Dick Cheney going from DoD -> Halliburton -> White House

Serious question, it seems disingenuous to suddenly care about war profiteering when a Democrat does it

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

538 has him as "moderate," what's his deal?

From two pages back but this is an excellent depiction of the GOP field, in that it is a hot loving mess. Rand Paul is the only libertarian but somehow that circle still overlaps most of the others. And what is with the candidates sitting on the edges of circles? You can't fence-sit on a Venn diagram, you're either in the circle or not. Is relative position within the circles supposed to mean something? Is Huckabee less Tea Party than Santorum? Graaah :argh:

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I'm looking at the list of Clinton Foundation contributors on Wikipedia and just trembling at the thought of the terrible favors the Clintons must owe the founder of Slim Fast.

People get hung up on Saudi Arabia, but Norway is a worryingly large donor. Does this mean that, under a Clinton presidency, unsuspecting Americans will have the Nordic welfare model thrust upon them? Or does it mean we'll be selling Norway tanks, because god knows we have too many of the drat things ourselves? I forget how this whole quid pro quo deal works.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Prove that the State Department under Hillary's term ignored weapons proliferation laws in the deals with parties that donated to the Clinton Foundation.

the shadow toker
Apr 22, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean poo poo nobody * likes * Hillary. But none of this appears disqualifyingly illegal, and that's all that matters or that anyone cares about now. Because Clinton being shady is old news.

What the hell is this? I like Hillary fine. I want a democratic nominee that's going to A. support liberal positions B. defend whats left of the social welfare state and supreme court against a republican congress and C. Win

Guess what? C is the most important of all of those. I find it crazy that the biggest knock against Hillary is that she is a GOOD politician. She has consistently been liberal throughout her career. The fact that she's spending time talking to (*gasp*) pre-selected audiences in early primary states instead of making speeches railing against the 1% is a good thing.

Unlike apparently half of this forum, I don't believe there's a silent majority of socialists/leftists just waiting for the messiah to propel into the presidency. I think that advocating for fair social and economic reform is HARD, especially in a conservative country with a governmental system designed to resist change. There is no advantage to being ideologically pure and out of power, especially to those who need it. We've been losing our strength in Congress for decades. Democrats are at a low point, and it'll be a long time in the wilderness before we can start restoring a lead in state or federal legislative bodies and protecting the people who need it the most protection. Incremental change, change that is bought and sold by lobbyists and bankers, change that barely qualifies as progressive is still something.

An example: is the ACA a shining point of progressive legislation? No, it's a republican free-market healthcare plan. But it dramatically lowered the rate of uninsurance, especially for minorities, and provided protection against price-gouging for those with pre-existing conditions. A single-payer plan would have been better and was impossible by the time Coakley lost Kennedy's seat and hosed up the entire plan.

I'm way more interested in preserving those gains than making some point about the economic system or tossing red meat to the base.

TL,DR: gently caress Bernie Sanders.

the shadow toker fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 27, 2015

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

So you're assuming he was gay because he had long hair too?

In the same WP article:

quote:

The boy few at Cranbrook knew or remember was born in Chicago, grew up in South Bend, Ind., and had a hard time fitting in. He liked to wander and “had a glorious sense of the absurd,” according to his sister Betsy. When the chance to get out of Indiana presented itself, he jumped at it and enrolled at Cranbrook. He never uttered a word about Mitt Romney or the haircut incident to his sisters. After Cranbrook asked him to leave, he finished high school, attended the University of the Seven Seas for two semesters, then graduated in 1970 from Vanderbilt, where he majored in English.

He came out as gay to his family and close friends and led a vagabond life, taking dressage lessons in England and touring with the Royal Lipizzaner Stallion riders.

Emphasis mine.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Prove that the State Department under Hillary's term ignored weapons proliferation laws in the deals with parties that donated to the Clinton Foundation.

Also, please show that there was significant opposition to the weapons sales either within the administration or the state department. Seriously, what's the point of spending millions of dollars on something you're going to get for free regardless.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

And what is your allegation that this means for The Clinton Machine Bill And Hillary?

So here's the thing.

This doesn't need to be airtight. We don't need (or really want) Clinton to go down in flames before the primary.

No one is trying to get a_liberal_poster_00 to switch their vote to Rubio.

It means people on the left are defending the practice, which undermines the Democratic party itself. It means people are defending the scummy status quo who are supposed to represent the party of economic, social, and political change. I want Independents to see this. I hope nominal Dems who only voted twice (in 08 and 12) see this.

Based on the last few pages it's all going swimmingly.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You said "implausible".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

So here's the thing.

This doesn't need to be airtight. We don't need (or really want) Clinton to go down in flames before the primary.

It means people on the left are defending the practice, which undermines the Democratic party itself. It means people are defending the scummy status quo who are supposed to represent the party of economic, social, and political change. I want Independents to see this. I hope nominal Dems who only voted twice (in 08 and 12) see this.

So you admit there is no wrongdoing involving The Clinton Machine Bill And Hillary, good.

You can't even come up with a theory as to how anything bad happened!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

So you admit there is no wrongdoing involving The Clinton Machine Bill And Hillary, good.

You can't even come up with a theory as to how anything bad happened!

The theory is that it's HILLARY CLINTON :argh:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

You said "implausible".

No I said Sheng's post was plausible because giving money to curry favors later on is literally lobbying 101. Giving money to get weapons you were going to get anyway is stupid.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dolash posted:

I was too young to really follow politics in the 90s, is this what we have to look forward to for the next nine years? Endless insinuation and half-baked "follow the money" conspiracies?

It;s kind of interesting that each of these accusations so far have been about twice as scandalous as it'd take to sink a regular candidate (close a bridge? How about accepting bribes as secretary of state???) but only need half as much evidence to get traction since people seem willing to believe anything could be true of the Clintons. Oh, and none of the impact, since at least in the primary all these would-be scandals have amounted to a wet fart.

Almost seems like they're wasting their ammunition, since it's not like any of this is enough to derail Hillary from getting the nomination. Shouldn't they wait for the general election before trying this, to avoid outrage fatigue setting in early?

A few pages behind so someone already answered this, but yes. Regardless of how you feel about the Clintons, they have a near unmatched record for being the eye of bilious scandal. So I hope you enjoy threadbare murder rumors cuz you're gonna see a lot of them.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the Qatari World Cup committee is very interested in the plight of Haitians and was expecting nothing in return from the Clintons for donating millions of dollars to their foundation.

"We now conclude that independent expenditures, including those made by corporations, do not give rise to corruption or the appearance of corruption." - Justice Kennedy, Citizens United

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
"These people of privilege who live by their own rules never did nothing demonstrably illegal, therefore any criticism must be politically motivated."

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Davethulhu posted:

"We now conclude that independent expenditures, including those made by corporations, do not give rise to corruption or the appearance of corruption." - Justice Kennedy, Citizens United

You don't know what an independent expenditure is.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

"These people of privilege who live by their own rules never did nothing demonstrably illegal, therefore any criticism must be politically motivated."

You couldn't even come up with an actual accusation to start with bro, next time try that?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I know the old issues of American Spectator you have say otherwise but the Clintons are nothing if not experts at following the exact letter of the law.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

So here's the thing.

Look at this puppetmasta. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Man, it's almost like if you spend 20+ years screaming about a political couples' supposed scandals and corruption which ultimately never seems to pan out to more than any other career politician, and often much less than even that, people start to look askance at the latest dreadful thing you're going on about.

But keep it up buddy; I'm sure this is the one that'll finally sink those mean ol' Clintons, now go to sleep. Yes, I'll check to make sure George Stephanopoulos isn't under your bed.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 27, 2015

• Locked thread