Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
EDIT: Oh, new page. :siren: 56k not ok :siren:

Garbage idiots is now over on turn 51, EA Ermor claiming victory due to a simultaneous capture of three thrones.

The Victor:

This was a fairly normal EA game, with one difference that I exploited mercilessly: double income. Somehow nobody else seemed to realise that this translates into, functionally, half-price mercenaries. Combined with an O3P3G3 scales build and an awake pretender, this let me crap out a ton of soldiers in the early days and expand significantly better than my neighbours. This was also helped by the secret cave tunnels which gave me excellent access to far away provinces. At one point around turn 6 I had so much excess money, even after buying mercs and capping out my resource budget, I ended up buying an army of 120 ko-oni's to send into the dark scary caves with my god.

You might also note the rather low dom score of 5, which despite my worries didn't seem to hinder me at all in the end. Probably due to the excessive number of H2 pontifexes I was churning out. I honestly can't really remember why I took those magic paths, it wasn't for the bless and the only thing I ended up doing with my god was astral empowering him to make a single cystal coin. Anyway, around turn 12 I'd eaten all the indie provinces I could, probably around 20. Arco, Marveni and Ulm were next to me, so I decided to attack Marveni. A couple of initial setbacks, coupled with a homophobic rant or two from my opponent, but eventually he got crushed. Then I slowly ate the chain-staling Ulm and site searched aggressively. An unofficial truce with Boing and a NAP until turn 50 with Nifelheim meant I was pretty much left alone.

Turn 30ish I noticed Mictlan was probably my biggest threat and convinced most of the remaining players that killing blood was a good idea. Thanks to a couple of indie amazon provinces I was cranking out research that was second only to his, combined with a massive astral gem income, so I decided to empower a crystal sorceress to cast eyes of god, followed swiftly by wrath of god and stellar focus. Then as the easily reachable provinces of mictlan were crumbling I went for artifacts, shoved up eternal pyre and started really cranking lightless lanterns. God eyes also let me judiciously eye up my neighbours provinces for nice looking sites, work out exactly what all the thrones were worth, and chortle quietly to myself as I saw everyone else's graphs.

Last ten turns were a cakewalk really, just strategic attacks on Pan, Kitfox and Lanka to get me access to the thrones I needed. I think I pretty much had it in the bag as soon as people turned on Mictlan.

Enough talking, graph time:

Provinces

You can really see that early merc expansion boost kick in.

Forts

I got quite annoyed at Kitfox for catching up to me here.

Income

Gem Income

Definitely had that nailed, even when Boing finally started contesting my globals at the end.

Research

Dominion

Pan was blood-saccing like hell for a while there, which I think annoyed Kitfox and Lanka no end.

Army Size

Me and Lanka neck-and-neck here, except the majority of his was freespawn and I paid for every last troop. Lots of legionnaires and amazon archers.

Map

RockyB fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RockyB posted:

I decided to attack Marveni. A couple of initial setbacks, coupled with a homophobic rant or two from my opponent, but eventually he got crushed.

Classic Nesbit!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Also take note of the 90 provinces for 12 players.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

The idea of EA Ermor winning a not badnations game is extremely confusing to me

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Everyone decided to kill blood and ignore the enormous Roman mega-expansion. I saw it, but I have the defense that I was one of the blood nations being insta-killed.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 27, 2015

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
No bad nations, only bad players. And with a dom5 pretender too, usually only the province of Desura.

Really though the double income played right into my hands, and I got lucky with indies and secret cave tunnels to get almost twice the provinces of anyone else by turn 12/15.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
If pan hadn't been bloodsaccing me to poo poo I'd have happily fought the roman hordes. Instead I had to go kick hippie rear end then go AI. :colbert:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
My memory is poor but that might have been kinda my fault. I may have sent my blood slaves to Pan before Boing stormed my cap.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Chomp8645 posted:

Classic Nesbit!

If someone has a history of doing that kind of stuff, shouldn't they not be let in games then?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Niefelheim here.

I actually did notice how large you were getting, but just couldn't realistically do anything about it, even disregarding the NAP. I got hemmed in extremely early, and even eating Arco still left me with fewer than the 15 provinces supposedly alotted for each player. I wasn't able to get in on the cave network, which I did notice, due to getting blocked off before I even got a connection with one. And you may notice I was stalling on Mictlan until I determined it was already a foregone conclusion - ergo, I grabbed three provinces on my border already basically emptied of troops. And with the distribution of gem sites leaving me with a surfeit of what I didn't need, and a lack of what I did, I was never really able to mass troops to take on your doomstacks that I saw running around.

edit: Let's just leave it at this map was terrible to the Nth degree and move on.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Lord Koth posted:

edit: Let's just leave it at this map was terrible to the Nth degree and move on.

This map was the reason I started working on an alternative map generator. I'm still salty about it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Corbeau posted:

This map was the reason I started working on an alternative map generator. I'm still salty about it.

The biggest problems with the map weren't the generators fault. Whoever made the map set it too waaay too few provinces. It still sucked extra hard for me (Arco) and whoever was playing Burritos.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

fool_of_sound posted:

and whoever was playing Burritos.

Hi.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

I think this was my fault but I can't recall how precisely I messed up. Either I used the wrong map or I told Samog the wrong number of players. I didn't intend for this to be an idiot blood bath.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Slaan posted:

If someone has a history of doing that kind of stuff, shouldn't they not be let in games then?

As far as I'm aware there really isn't any type of power structure in this community and therefore nobody to ban/exclude people. If someone is a dick you basically have three options...

A. Don't let person in your game. (If host)
B. Don't play with person.
C. Do play with person, laugh as everyone kills them for being a dick.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

As far as I'm aware there really isn't any type of power structure in this community and therefore nobody to ban/exclude people. If someone is a dick you basically have three options...

A. Don't let person in your game. (If host)
B. Don't play with person.
C. Do play with person, laugh as everyone kills them for being a dick.

D. Do play with person, immediately declare war on them regardless of any other circumstances

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jon joe posted:

D. Do play with person, immediately declare war on them regardless of any other circumstances

Also acceptable, and best combined with option C for maximum effect.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Being unlikable and/or offensive in this game is a good way to hand your neighbors free land. In all seriousness, Dominions is basically Diplomacy with hidden information on how well people are doing.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Corbeau posted:

Being unlikable and/or offensive in this game is a good way to hand your neighbors free land. In all seriousness, Dominions is basically Diplomacy with hidden information on how well people are doing.

Which kinda defeats the core aspect of Diplomacy :U

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

jon joe posted:

Which kinda defeats the core aspect of Diplomacy :U

I think it's the opposite, really, since the information is only partially hidden. Diplomacy itself is a really, really boring game (much like Werewolf) in that the only mechanic is popularity.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Corbeau posted:

I think it's the opposite, really, since the information is only partially hidden. Diplomacy itself is a really, really boring game (much like Werewolf) in that the only mechanic is popularity.

I happen to very much enjoy both Diplomacy and Werewolf :U

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

jon joe posted:

I did this with neruz for a while. :v: and modpud thank god she's gone, good riddens to bad hosts

jon joe posted:

I happen to very much enjoy both Diplomacy and Werewolf :U

proof itt that jonjoe is a disturbed individual

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kitfox88 posted:

Can we really judge a man for his taste in games while playing dom4?

Je suis jonjoe

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

JonJoe takes triple major bless in Werewolf

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

JonJoe takes triple major bless in on an awake Werewolf

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

This is true because I played this game and got fourth place.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

RockyB posted:

Dominion

Pan was blood-saccing like hell for a while there, which I think annoyed Kitfox and Lanka no end.

Operation: blood sac at the expense of everything else has proven to be a resounding success. I wanted to see how much raw pushing power I could pick up.

I basically had sacced from Turn 2 on, with every temple posting at least one saccer every turn until the peak, at which point I ran into supply issues stalemating Lanka. As I recall, I peaked at about 40 provinces of dom coverage, with Kitfox, of all people, getting most of my foreign dom coverage.

Some things I neglected to do: sneak some preaching Dryads out to push Dom further, buy enough Pans (90% of the income came from a B7 pretender, which was barely keeping up towards the end, and pulled into battle at the end), and use harpy patrollers (I read that flying gives a patrol bonus? Either way, would've been research saved).

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kitfox88 posted:

I did this with neruz for a while. :v:

Oh is that why there was that brief era where you kept launching stupid attacks against me and dying horribly. I did wonder.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

hey in that one ma game where i was ponymens and you were ctis i took your cap!!!! don't short sell me mr

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

hey in that one ma game where i was ponymens and you were ctis i took your cap!!!! don't short sell me mr

Ponymen rushed ctis?! Now I've heard it all.

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.

Kitfox88 posted:

I did this with neruz for a while

I have taken up your mantle.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
2015-05-27 18:30:27 +0200
Initiates of the Deep, deep seer: lore remake
Witness of the Deep, Soldier of the Deep
Summon spells: Flame Jelly, Bishop Fish
Oceanian lore rewritten
Oceania Turmoil in coastal provinces, order in land/sea provinces
Haliades replaces Bishop Fish as oceanian priests
Capricorn and Siren coastal recruits and chaos rebate
Dominion less likely to spread across sea-land borders
New unique items for Marignon and R'lyeh
Improved magic item info
UW pretender rebates and nation restrictions
Dagon remade (grab and swallow instead of trample)
New story events
Save and exit also marks turn as unfinished
Pelagian/oceanian name lists

Marignon is getting a buff!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

NotDeadYet posted:

I have taken up your mantle.

Its true he has.

Looks like Oceania is becoming a mixed land\sea nation which seems interesting and possibly not terrible.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Double income on a small provs/player means blood is a lot worse than normal, blood sac excepted. Not sure how no one realized that.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

amuayse posted:

2015-05-27 18:30:27 +0200
Initiates of the Deep, deep seer: lore remake
Witness of the Deep, Soldier of the Deep
Summon spells: Flame Jelly, Bishop Fish
Oceanian lore rewritten
Haliades replaces Bishop Fish as oceanian priests
New unique items for Marignon and R'lyeh
Improved magic item info
UW pretender rebates and nation restrictions
Dagon remade (grab and swallow instead of trample)
New story events
Save and exit also marks turn as unfinished
Pelagian/oceanian name lists

Marignon is getting a buff!

the ocean is still going to be hosed up and not fun though

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Samog posted:

much like your posting

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Interesting, it seems the idea here is Oceania being a nation that can have peace in the Ocean, and in well inside land, but for whatever lore reasons it has turmoil and chaos in coastal provinces.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

Interesting, it seems the idea here is Oceania being a nation that can have peace in the Ocean, and in well inside land, but for whatever lore reasons it has turmoil and chaos in coastal provinces.

Conflict between sea peoples and land peoples I'm guessing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Samog posted:

agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Samog posted:

Yes, well, there are sharks in the ocean. Sharks! gently caress sharks and gently caress the ocean. :colbert:

• Locked thread