Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Nelico and Prime seem to take up the role of Mind Guardian that previous games had in their Cosmospheres. I think diving with Nelico is less actually diving into her mindspace and more diving into the remnants of the prison mindspace that Ciel Nosurge took place in. It wasn't destroyed, just buried.

Also, moe is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You must not moe. Moe is the mind-killer. Moe is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

FractalSandwich posted:

You must not moe. Moe is the mind-killer. Moe is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
drat this Moe guy. He is the worst. Why do weird an-ni-mes always bring him up?

I still hold on my opinion that Ion looks really strange without her stupid hair flowers.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

See, this is an example. Have more actual people? Develop the main characters? NOPE instead we'll just dive into Ion's mind-virus thing which doesn't even exist. That's not even something which should be possible. And more to the point, who loving cares about Nelico?

The reason this land is called “Kemokemo” is because of how adorable the keeper sounds when she says it.

And also this is whole thing is aggressively bad and dumb.

I mean this is really just an extra Dive with just Ion into the remnants of Kemokemo. It is helpful for the plot later that it continues to exist, so it does.

This Nelico isn't even really the original one necessarily, it's just something Ion created out of her memories of the real one.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 27, 2015

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Since Ion picked up two new song magics, let's show them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyjGilMB5xY

Amenomurakamo Mikuji
Lighthouse Keeper's Night

I'm not sure if theres a 4th version of Nelicos spell, I didn't manage a different one in 10~ tries. Enjoy!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Feinne posted:

Aww, that’s no fun. We’re the only two left in this world, you know?
Would it be that unnatural to have a love affair or two…?
But Nelico… We’re both women, so we can’t…
That’s what makes it all the more interesting! Have you any idea how many men would kill to witness this?
That’s right!/I’m not interested.
I think that if you answer "I'm not interested." here, it's the only time the possibility of the person controlling Earthes might be female comes up.

Also yes, Nelico's Spell = Best Spell.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Icedude posted:

I think that if you answer "I'm not interested." here, it's the only time the possibility of the person controlling Earthes might be female comes up.

Also yes, Nelico's Spell = Best Spell.

Indeed it does:

[Nelico] Aww, that's no fun. Don't tell me... You're actually not a man!?
[Nelico] Mmm, if you are a lady, I suppose that might not be pleasant... It would be like losing the keeper to another.

It should also be noted that the first time even if you offer to stay with Nelico for a while she'll just kind of mope, you do have to come back into the event to proceed.

As noted some shop stuff is coming tomorrow, I'm hoping to get all of that I need to do in the can soon so I can get back to recording plot. I'm about 75% sure we're actually about to Episode Lock with Ion when we head back to Felion, since we've not seen what's about to go down there with Delta and Cass yet.

EDIT: I recorded a bit earlier and am almost ready to switch over to Delta and Cass. I actually did catch the fourth outcome for Nelico's song magic, I'll show that off in a combat video along with some game mechanics talk along with the short update after this next shop one that will take us to where Ion would get episode locked if I moved forward.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 27, 2015

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

FractalSandwich posted:

In principle, I like that the game is coming out and directly indicting the player for buying into its anime waifu crap.

That was sort of the pattern I mentioned seeing in the earlier Dives.

See - it was mentioned earlier in the thread that if you played Ciel enough you could marry Ion in-game, right? :japan: So of course when you get into the sequel and she's still there and it's explicitly established that your character is controlled by you, the same person who game-married her in the last game, you expect everything to be perfectly fine and for her to already care about you more than anything and all that lonely-otaku-fantasy jazz.

Then, psyche! She's actively hindering your attempts to progress through her Dive, because she doesn't want you getting closer to her. With added bonus in the first one with Kanon that, if you gently caress up at the last second, it's revealed the most important thing to her is herself. Not you. And now here you give her the chance to play out the role you had in Ciel, while you're stuck in her role, and she immediately ditches you after the first day.

I was convinced Gust had become disenfranchised with Ciel's playerbase for whatever reason and was actively lashing out at them.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I don't think that the point of Ion is to criticize the concept of 2D waifus so much as that part happens along the way.

Ion mirrors Luca in the same way that a lot of other parts of Ar Nosurge mirror AT2. Part of the problem with how they worked Luca into AT2 is that they just didn't have time to establish Luca and Croix as a preexisting relationship before they had to burn everything down to open up the route choice. Ciel Nosurge fixes this by giving you that time, letting you get to know this character while only giving you shallow glimpses into her head, so that Ar Nosurge can show up and establish that things weren't quite as they seemed.

She also contrasts with Cass, who bases a lot more of her life around Delta and his problems. Ion has her priorities, and everything else comes second.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Einander posted:

I don't think that the point of Ion is to criticize the concept of 2D waifus so much as that part happens along the way.

Ion mirrors Luca in the same way that a lot of other parts of Ar Nosurge mirror AT2. Part of the problem with how they worked Luca into AT2 is that they just didn't have time to establish Luca and Croix as a preexisting relationship before they had to burn everything down to open up the route choice. Ciel Nosurge fixes this by giving you that time, letting you get to know this character while only giving you shallow glimpses into her head, so that Ar Nosurge can show up and establish that things weren't quite as they seemed.

Great! ...if you've played Ciel Nosurge. Which didn't get a western release - probably because they (rightly) figured no one would buy it. It's probably not a great idea to put so much of Ion's character development gated behind a different game.

Einander posted:

She also contrasts with Cass, who bases a lot more of her entire life around Delta and his problems.

Fixed for you.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well to be fair, Delta pretty much bases his entire life around Cass as well. Which might be the point, I guess? Not that it doesn't weaken both their characters, but I suppose some thought could have been put behind it.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Great! ...if you've played Ciel Nosurge. Which didn't get a western release - probably because they (rightly) figured no one would buy it. It's probably not a great idea to put so much of Ion's character development gated behind a different game.

Dude, I really don't think you can criticize the original writers for business decisions by an entirely different company in an entirely different country. If we're talking about the quality of the writing, Koei Tecmo's English branch doesn't have much to do with it. So if we ignore the selective localization, you're effectively arguing against the existence of sequels, which is stupid.

I think Ar Nosurge works well enough on its own, but it's obvious there was a particular arc of introduction to the character that the writers intended. If you're talking about Ion as a character, it's a relevant thing to address.

See Synthetic Polygon's response. Plus, both of them were ripped out of their everyday lives on a dying planet and thrown into an even worse hellhole, which is basically about as conducive an environment to insular codependence as anything... And then Delta also lost all of his memories. If they had an entirely healthy social life after all the things they've had heaped on their heads, we'd all be calling bullshit.

It's not a normal relationship, and that's what makes it interesting!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
All right, I've probably harped enough on this stuff, but I'll just reply to this and I'm out.

Einander posted:

Dude, I really don't think you can criticize the original writers for business decisions by an entirely different company in an entirely different country. If we're talking about the quality of the writing, Koei Tecmo's English branch doesn't have much to do with it. So if we ignore the selective localization, you're effectively arguing against the existence of sequels, which is stupid.

I think Ar Nosurge works well enough on its own, but it's obvious there was a particular arc of introduction to the character that the writers intended. If you're talking about Ion as a character, it's a relevant thing to address.

I am talking about Ion as a character. I have not read the previous game, and without that, I feel like this game is doing a really poor job of introducing us to Ion. As an audience member, that's what matters to me, the end result. What business decisions and problems that led up to that result may be unfortunate, but that doesn't change the problem.

quote:

See Synthetic Polygon's response. Plus, both of them were ripped out of their everyday lives on a dying planet and thrown into an even worse hellhole, which is basically about as conducive an environment to insular codependence as anything... And then Delta also lost all of his memories. If they had an entirely healthy social life after all the things they've had heaped on their heads, we'd all be calling bullshit.

It's not a normal relationship, and that's what makes it interesting!

They were thawed at some point and have spent presumably some months and years alive and on the ship. They weren't stranded on a desert island alone for years. Surely in all that ship time they should have made some acquaintances and formed some friendships with other people, but this game doesn't show that. According to the game, the only important people are those very special Seven who were around 5000 years ago. Is it at least fair to criticize the game for poor world-building?

Synthetic Polygon may be right that Delta's life revolves around Cass as well, but that weakens his character as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 28, 2015

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Besides the scripted battles and boss fights, is there anything interesting about the random battles in this game? Any notable chests or anything? It feels like all I'm seeing is the cut-scenes and boss fights. I have no idea if you're playing casually or grinding heavily until i see your DP counter. It's hard to really get a feel for this game except as a hybrid dating sim.

I will agree that without the context of the first game, some of the characters seem rather stale and "missing something".

Kanon just seems like a cold puppet with some vague hints of deeper psychoses. You get a little more of her in her dives than you do in her actual scenes.

Ion seems like a naive, idealized anime girl. Her personality consists of "I just want everyone to get along and be happy otherwise I'm gonna be sad"

Cass is generic anime heroine and Delta is generic anime male protagonist who's already past the "developing anime boy" phase and now has no where left for his character to develop. If the two of them elope off-screen and I never see any more of their scenes for the rest of the game, I could care less.

Nay comes off as a bit immature and this game has not made her mature at all throughout it's events.

Zill could be evil, manipulated, or a double agent. I cannot get a read on her other than being a plot road-block as she spews church doctrine and sets in motion magic that destroys the ship.

Sarly could be another NPC if she didn't have purple hair and dives.

Prim/Prime might as well be a mascot.

The Sharl are supposed to be soul-less puppets but they seem to have more personality and emotion than most of the human NPCs in the game. It's also a bit disconcerting that they're all fairies.

In summary, I'm just not sold on this game at all. I'd watch all the cut-scenes and then walk away for the most part. Maybe I'd listen to the sound-track if I were into the music but it's not really for me.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

There aren't chests at all in this game, there are items we can collect from the ground but that's only important a few times. The random fights vary wildly based on where and when we are in the game, because we can get some really rough Waves in certain areas that super suck to fight (there's one later I've never not gotten a Game Over to actually trying to fight).

You don't actually have to grind particularly for things like DP (I actually had enough for everything but Nelico's when I started that session), where we are in the game right now you can easily get thousands of DP per fight. Getting all the synthesis done now does take a bit, because there's an item we need a few of that we can currently only get one per whole trash fight.

There is still in fact character development coming, though I'm not going to like swear you'll reverse your stance on the game because probably not.

It's definitely a flaw that the game's got a pretty small cast, though part of that is that the game actually keeps introducing new and important characters even into the last phase.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They were thawed at some point and have spent presumably some months and years alive and on the ship. They weren't stranded on a desert island alone for years. Surely in all that ship time they should have made some acquaintances and formed some friendships with other people, but this game doesn't show that. According to the game, the only important people are those very special Seven who were around 5000 years ago. Is it at least fair to criticize the game for poor world-building?

Synthetic Polygon may be right that Delta's life revolves around Cass as well, but that weakens his character as well.

Cass is buddies with Sarly as well. So she's got that going for her. Delta's got nobody.

In all of Delta's dives thus far he's only really been connected to the events at hand through Cass, and she's been the one actually connecting more with whoever they're diving into. Sure, a good portion of all those dives is still about Cass's feelings on Delta, but she has at least some meaningful interactions with others. Delta definitely gets the short end of the stick on that front, moreso than Cass at any rate.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I think part of what makes this game feel a bit sparse is that the side roles that would normally get filled by NPCs with no other function, like synthesis shops, are instead mostly filled by members of the main cast. They're taking advantage of that to slip in extra development for characters that we're otherwise not really hanging around enough with to learn much about. I get why they did it even as I agree with the downside.

I think it really was a conscious choice that none of the major players in the stories we see are the current generation of inhabitants of the Soleil, We'll be getting their perspective actually quite a bit at certain points of the story but I'll equally agree it would have been better if we'd seen more of them than just nameless citizens. I think the real thing to blame is the game system, if we had parties larger than two people there's a lot more space for other characters to exist and have active roles in events.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also they just can't seem to make a good battle system. While better than the loving horrible poo poo in AT3, the fighting in this game pretty much never changes from the point where you start the game. Even GUSTs Atelier series is better than that when it comes to battles.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Also they just can't seem to make a good battle system. While better than the loving horrible poo poo in AT3, the fighting in this game pretty much never changes from the point where you start the game. Even GUSTs Atelier series is better than that when it comes to battles.

It's double hurtful because I literally just played Atelier Shallie whose combat system is like a million times deeper and more interesting than this game's.

AT2 did have a pretty solid system honestly, I wish they'd just kind of stuck with something like that.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've only played atelier ayesha, but even there fighting was way more fun. Maybe its also because they have like 20 battle tracks.

https://youtu.be/h6ioRj96h3g

Good stuff!

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 28, 2015

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think GUST kinda uses these secondary game series to test out new battle systems and see how well they're received. From what I saw of Escha to Logy, the battle system there was basically the same one that was used in Mana Khemia 2.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think the thing with the Ar-series combat system is that every game's got a slightly different explanation between how people fight, and somehow that translates to an altered combat system.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Tarezax posted:

I think GUST kinda uses these secondary game series to test out new battle systems and see how well they're received. From what I saw of Escha to Logy, the battle system there was basically the same one that was used in Mana Khemia 2.

Yeah and Shallie works pretty much the same way, it's really solid. I think they've never quite been happy with any of the battle systems in these games though and thus have never settled on one and focused on really improving it.

I've settled on what I'll hit for the upcoming update, I am going to hit the syntheses because Kanon's got a lot of really good ones. I'll put off Tattoria's stuff until another time. I've got the base document assembled, but I've got to head out for a bit so probably ready mid-late afternoon. One interesting note, there are actually a bunch of lines in the stuff between Ion and Kanon that are clearly tied to having imported Ciel Nosurge data. If you think the game is a bit confusing without knowing Ciel Nosurge, it'd be even worse if they weren't nice enough to cut out the obscure references if you couldn't be expected to know them.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It’s been a while, hasn’t it? And did you all have a fun time at the beach? Mmm, me? I was going to come along but wouldn’t you know it, a transport full of nice things just happened to crash and I had to help find a place to store all those nice things that were in it until they can be distributed to their rightful owners. The people who buy them. From me. Hey, look at the time, it’s story o’clock I think!

Oh, Ionasal...
Wh-What happened? You look kind of sad...
To be honest... I don't really know what to do.
Huh...?
I was supposed to atone for my sins. I was to be reborn, and learn the will of this planet.
But...I've been forgiven by the Sharl, and now I'm living here, on the surface.
I cannot remain idle... But I do not know what I should do.
Hmm... Well, you probably shouldn't overthink it.
You have a chance to do whatever you want, you should find something you enjoy.
Whatever I want...
Yes!
I can't think of anything...
Wh-What?! Nothing? Really...?

That’s a hell of a hat that lady had, I think I need to get in on that.

Oh, that sounds good! You can open a shop!
A long time ago I did want to try running a place of my own...
I um, really liked cute things, and I always thought it would be nice to live surrounded by such things.
All right then, it's decided! You should start a store for cute things!
But...I have no experience with...anything even remotely like that.
That's okay, I'll help you out.
Really...?
Of course! Anyway, let's start preparing!
It's done!
I-It seems a little...empty.
Well, there isn't going to be much at first; you'll have to work up from here.
It might take some time, but little by little, you'll do it. I know!
Little by little... Yes, I suppose you can't expect perfection from the start. Perhaps in people too...
Oh, have you thought up a name for it yet?

A good name is really what sells your business, ideally it should tell the consumer nothing about what you actually do and confuse them into coming in, because dopey and confused customers are the best kind.

Feinne’s Notes:
Some of the other responses do have pretty funny results. To the first:

If I called it that, customers would be too scared to visit it…
That’s right, Earthes… H-How about you be silent!
…Well then.

To the second:

I suppose the name would be appropriate, but doesn’t that seem a little cliché?
Yeah, it doesn’t really stick, and it feels kinda cheesy.

And to the last:

“Boing”? What does that mean?
No! Bad Earthes! That’s a horrible suggestion!
Do you know what it means?
Huh?! U-Um, no, not really. What I mean is, it’s your shop. You should think of the name.

Now back to the show, where we were psychic and picked the name she was thinking of.

Wh-What did you say!? Did you just say "Chuchuya"!?
What's wrong?
Is this coincidence...? To be honest, I was just thinking of that exact name myself...
Ionasal, what do you think about the name "Chuchuya"?
That's really cute! I think it's great.
I'd like to stay and help you out, but there's something I really, really need to do.
I know. Please, don't worry about me.
But please, drop by if you have some free time, to buy things or talk about merchandise.
Okay! Together we can make this store great!
Yes, it's worth a try!

Then you need a gimmick. Now obviously for me my raw appeal is sufficient, but not everyone can be this awesome. Sad but true.

What's the matter, Ionasal?
This store, it just... Looks a little lonely.
Lonely? Well, there's certainly not a shortage of items, I can tell you that much...
No, that's not what I mean, it just... Feels like they could have a little more fun with their display.
It lacks character.
Are you sure "fun" is something stores need?
The important thing is to carry as many magazines as people would want to read.
But as long as you're running a store, don't you want it to have its own character?
Besides, there should be more things that are fun to look at. Not just magazines.
...You're really into this "fun" thing, aren't you?
I, for one, think it's not worth the energy...
I think the customers will like it fun./It’s too plain with nothing.
Though, when you think of the personality of the Sharls, you might have a point.
As long as it's within reason, a little character might be a good idea.
R-Really? I'm so glad you think so!
But, what are you supposed to put there?
I think a good place to start would be with something everyone likes.
Umm, for example... This!

Now that I’ve looked into some of the background material you mom left about this, I’m pretty offended by this whole Nyuroki thing. I mean what’s the fun in selling people products they’re conditioned to love? It’s just too easy at that point.

A... Nyuroki?
Yes! Nyuroki is loved by children and adults alike!
Which is why we should have an original character for our store, too. One that everyone would love!
An... Original character?
So it doesn't necessarily need to be a Nyuroki, right?
I think it'd be better if it wasn't a Nyuroki.
Okay.
Okay then, Ionasal. By the time I see you next, I'll have finished making an original character for this store!
Really!? I can hardly wait!
A character that would be loved by anyone, not just the Sharl.
Just you wait...

Anyway she created something to her own liking.

Perfect timing, Ionasal. I actually just completed the recipe!
Really? Ohh, let me see!
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Cute Bird]!
Hehe...
Mm? Is something the matter?
Oh, no...
You really like birds, so I had a feeling you might make something like this.
Hehe, oh really...
I can't wait to see what kind of adorable bird it is!
Hold your horses, Ionasal. I know how you must feel, but you have to wait and see for the final product.
That being said, it was my first time making a recipe, so I'm worried whether it'll look like I thought...
Don’t you have any samples?/You mean, it could be a dog or cat?
I don't have a sample for this one... I thought it up and turned it into a recipe.
Y-You didn't make a sample!?
Yes... When I feel like I have something, my hands just start moving.
I think I know what you mean.
Well, if you're feeling that confident, I doubt it'll look that bad.
I-I sure hope so...
Anyway, I hope you're looking forward to the real thing!

Some kind of bird in a scarf? It actually is kind of cool.

Wow, this stuffed toy is really cute! Who's the character?
Hehe, I'm glad you can see how cute it is, Ionasal.
Its name is Chunpi.
This is an original character I made for a new IP.
With such a cute mascot character, I'm sure anyone would be interested.
Hehe, your saying that makes me feel like it could become a success sooner than I thought.
I should start mass production of Chunpi right away.
Hehe, I'm sure that it will become a popular character with children, just like Nyuroki.
Hm? Kanon, is something wrong?
...Do you really think it's cute?
Huh?
Do you really find Nyuroki to be cute?
To be honest, I don't understand how Nyuroki is cute at all.
Whaaat!? Nyuroki is cute too.
...I just don't see it.
Its head is distorted, and I can't tell if it's a dog or something else entirely. What about it is cute?
I-if you put it that way, what you're saying is right...

Then again who knows why some things sell, like that Gergo thing. Don’t get that either.

I know, right? I guess I'm not the only one who thought so.
Y-you saw Nyuroki that way, too?
Anyway, that's why I decided to create a character that I would think is cute.
And that's Chunpi?
Exactly.
By the way... Ionasal, which do you think is cuter, Nyuroki or Chunpi?
Y-you're asking me!? I, um...
...I-I think they're both cute... I'd buy them both, I guess?
I see... Well, at least I didn't lose to Nyuroki. That's some consolation.
They're both cute characters... Picking a fight might not be the best idea.

Feinne’s Notes:
You’ll need a lot of Chunpi over the course of making all of Kanon’s things, so you might as well stock up on its ingredients now.

I guess they made a weapon out of the Chunpi too, which is weird.

...This is a cathode, right?
That's right. I call this Chunpiece. It's a combination of a Chunpi and a cathode.
Don't you think it's way cuter than regular cathodes?
The Chunpi attached is the cute part, rather than the cathode...
But I'm a little worried that Chunpi is too big.
Won't it get in the way?
Hehe, don't worry, it's poseable.
It shouldn't be getting in the way.
I see... Then there's nothing to worry about.
You can’t just remove the figure?/This is too embarrassing to use.
Oh, right. If you just take it off it wouldn't even be an issue in the first place, huh?
No, that's impossible. This only functions properly when it's attached.
It looks normal, but the inside is filled with delicate machinery.
Wait, really!?
Yes. The performance is much higher due to that.
I didn't know... I guess you didn't attach a Chunpi just for the sake of it.
I wanted to make it even smaller, but then I would have to sacrifice performance.
Hehe, I've dealt with that before.
I'll take miniaturization into more consideration when making cathodes in the future.

Speaking of the ideal customer being dopey and confused, well, it kind of seems like she had a real winner of a base.

Of course. What color would you like?
Sharl: Whatever color you recommend!
In that case, how about the original color, yellow?
Sharl: Wow! It's so cute!
Hehe, I'm glad you like it. Please come by any time you like.
Sharl: Yeah. Buh-bye!
Oh? You're here?
It looks like the Sharl really enjoy the Chunpi character.
Yes. I've already sold 10 of them, today alone! I'm already running low.
That many!?
Well, it’s pretty cute, after all./Sharl have weird tastes.
Hehe. That makes me feel a little better. It was worth my while, then.
Now, we should make more things that will appeal to humans, too! Not just the Sharl.
Yes, that's a good idea.
As soon as I think of new recipes, I'll show them to you right away.
But, if you have any suggestions, let me know!
Of course.
We'll get stocked with a ton of cute items and make this the best store ever!

Especially since the normal people who were living in the area couldn’t have been much better than those Sharl things.

Huh-!? W-When did you do that?
I started a few days ago, but didn't finish until this morning.
A Sharl that regularly comes to my store gave me the idea...
Anyway, please take a look at it, and let me know what you think.
System Message: Obtained the recipe [Almanac of Ancient Fads]!
An almanac of ancient fads...? I wonder if it's a recipe to make things that used to be popular...
It does say "fad" on the recipe, but it's not to create items that were popular...
Rather, it creates items that people knew about. That seems like a more accurate description.
When you say "knew about"... How long ago are we talking?
A long, long time ago... Back when the planet Ra Ciela still existed.
Whoa, that sounds amazing! I can't wait to see what kinds of things we can make...
How about we let it be a surprise when we make it?
Not only that... I haven't actually tried making anything yet, so I'm not sure if it will actually work.
So, even you're not sure what you'll make until you actually try it... That's surprising.
One must take note of what's on one's mind, and write it down in a recipe...
Apparently, that's the right way to make recipes...
That's what people at the store and, um... The beginner's manual told me.
A-As long as you don't make something too weird... I guess that's okay?

Also despite being a fancy lady it turns out that girl in the weird dress could cook like crazy.

So delicious!
Hehe, you're already eating it?
Oh, um, sorry... It just looked so delicious, I...
No, I don't mind. You seemed pretty happy, so I'm happy, too.
Ehehe... But Kanon, you really are amazing. You're able to cook so well...
N-no, it's nothing...
Well, I've actually enjoyed cooking for a long time, so I've had a lot of practice...
Really?
Yes, and this dessert is one of the most memorable items I've made.
This is how I won the grand prize at a pastry competition back when I was a child.
The grand prize!?
I-it's not that surprising! I was only a child, and most of the other people in the contest were as well!
Also, I was so nervous that I don't remember much of it. I still regret it...
But that's amazing! I'm surprised you were able to make something like this as a kid!

That girl’s robot buddy was totally hitting on her friend.

...Really?
Yes! You think so too, right?
Really? ...This is the first time anyone has ever said anything like that to me.
I think so. I might have to practice cooking a little more myself...
Hehe, I'd be willing to teach you whenever you have some free time.
Really!? Okay, I might just take you up on that offer.
So about this dessert. What's its name?
Banana Paste Mille-Feuille Cranberry Sauce Plus.
...Huh? Banana paste... Cranberry mille-feuille...
Banana Paste Mille-Feuille Cranberry Sauce Plus.
Is something wrong?
It's too long. Do you mind if I just abbreviate it to Bana-Mille?
B-Bana-Mille!? No, that's just a little, um...
But I can't remember the name you called it...
Also, I think it would be a lot easier to order if you called it Bana-Mille.
Shorter names leave better impressions./Just leave it as Banana Cranberry Paste Plus.
You really think so? Actually, I seem to recall one of the judges mentioning the name was too long as well...
That's why the name Bana-Mille is better.
...I can't help it. I understand, I'll change the name to Bana-Mille.
Ehehe, that's good... Sorry for acting so selfish...
No, I don't mind... Bana-Mille... Bana-Mille...
It's true that I feel good when I say it...

Feinne’s Notes:
No lie that really does sound pretty drat good, banana and cranberry actually go together really well.

Just in general she seems pretty good at making things.

T-this is some really showy cloth, isn't it?
Remember the Imperial Princess garments we wore a long time ago?
I tried to reproduce those, but they had sad memories attached to them, so I changed it up a little.
A little? ...They look completely different.
Well, to be honest, I didn't remember the design exactly, so I didn't really have a choice.
But I did remember the texture of the fabric, so that should be the same at least...
...Oh, you're right. The Imperial Princess garments I had definitely felt like this.
If you agree with me... I was able to reproduce the texture, at the very least.
Well then, I suppose I should name it the Imperial Princess Garment Remake...
Oh, wait, please! I thought of an even better name!
It's much prettier than the princess garments, and you've also become someone greater.
Considering all that, why don't you name this the Empress Garment?
E-Empress!?
Yes! A higher rank than an Imperial Princess, and I think it would fit you perfectly, Kanon!
I-is that true? It sounds like an exaggeration to me...
Empress... I never thought you would ever call me something like that, Ionasal.
If that's how you see me, then I won't feel bad about it.
Yo, Empress!/Empress doesn’t exactly present a good image.
...What was that momentary sense of annoyance I just felt?
N-no, you can't say it like that! An empress is someone really high up there.
You're saying it like some old man who got drunk at a banquet...
W-well, I suppose it's just like you, so I won't get angry.
Uu, I'm sorry Kanon. I'll be sure to lecture him about this later.
No, don't worry about it.
Without a mind open enough to accept it, I wouldn't be worthy of being called an empress.

All these almost sane products are kind of throwing me after the other weirdos.

Oh, this brings back memories! This is a Cielnotron, isn't it?
Hehe, its shape is a bit different from the originals, but it looks like you still recognized it.
I recognized it immediately. There are some parts that are still the same...
But Kanon, I thought you didn't like the Cielnotron...
Ionasal, do you realize how much time has passed since Ra Ciela was destroyed?
I may have felt that way back then, but now, it's a fond memory.
I feel a little better after hearing that.
Besides, would I make something like this myself if I still felt that way?
N-now that you mention it, that's right. Ehehe... My mistake.
But I didn't know you could use a Cielnotron as RNA too.
Yes... Although I only realized this by pure coincidence...
I was thinking about the Cielnotron, and tried recreating one out of nostalgia, when I came upon this idea.
That product of chance is this, the Cielnotronica.
I see... It would be nice if someone used this opportunity to start making Cielnotrons again, too.

Then again, that just highlights how weird Ion or whatever her name was.

Huh? Again?
Yes. This time, I've made it in hopes that the Sharl will like this one.
Anyway, let me show you.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Daily Lives of the Sharl]!
Hmm, it looks like we'll make something the Sharl can use every day.
Whew... I feel relieved hearing that from you.
I've only created recipes in the past... So I'm never sure if the names I give them match what gets made.
Well, it's a recipe maker's craft to make a recipe without a prototype, right?
Exactly.
...But, if you're going through the trouble of making recipes, shouldn't we make more cute things?
Hm? But we already have the Chunpi.
Y-Yes, but... I mean more than that.
You make new products while running a store... I was hoping for one new character item a day!

I mean who decorates with vacuum tubes?

Interior...?
But, all interior designs are really only for aesthetics...
Wouldn't it be much more useful to create items with everyday utility?
Y-You might have a point there, but...
I think decorations are important./(Silently watch the events unfold)
...Although, it does seem a bit lonely, living a life with no design sense...
That's right. And you don't need to make a decorative item every time you invent something new...
...Just, every once in a while, it would be nice to have something that's completely frivolous.
I-I mean of course, if it were me... I would love to have a pile of cute things, but...
But, now that we have Chunpi to be the "cute" item... Maybe we can go for something really chic!
Hmm... Chic, you say...
Understood. I'll think of something and write down a recipe for you.
Thank you very much! I'm excited to see it, Miss Kanon!

That’s not to say everything they made was normal.

Ionasal, do you feel any changes when you're holding this TxBIOS?
Um... No, not really...
But TxBIOS doesn't work unless you're using Song Magic with it anyway, right?
...Interesting.
I used pure extracts, so I thought it would have some effect even without using Song Magic, but...
Then, the fact that it has no effect means there's a problem with me?
I wouldn't think of it that way. It just means that you're normally quite carefree.
U-um... What's that supposed to mean?
This TxBIOS contains a special extract drawn from many Sharl.
That extract relieves anxieties and other stressful feelings and lets one feel carefree and relaxed.
I see... I never knew that the Sharl had an extract like that.
I'm sure you've noticed just by watching them, but they all seem quite happy, correct?
That's because their motto is about living relaxed and carefree lives.
...I feel as though I'm learning a lot about the Sharl during just this short conversation.
But relaxed and carefree lives, huh... I can kind of understand why they'd be so happy.

Like this thing, which seems kind of dangerous even to me.

Now that you mention it, if everyone were to have this TxBIOS, they'd all be carefree, wouldn't they?
If that happened, nobody would go to work or get anything done...
Don't worry about it. I mentioned that making one of these requires the cooperation of many Sharl, right?
In other words, mass production would require the cooperation of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Sharl.
If you put it that way, mass production sounds impossible.
Well, if you use it with Song Magic, you should probably feel its effects as well, Ionasal.
Please go ahead and experience the feelings of the Sharl.
Yes, I look forward to it!
By the way, what's the name of this TxBIOS anyway?
Oh, right... Since it makes one relax and become carefree like the Sharl...
How does Carefree Class sound?
Oh, that's great, it's really easy to understand!
I really want to try using the Carefree Class right away.

She did manage to make Sharl food that wasn’t poison I guess, that makes her better than the other guy.

This snack has a Sharl face on it.
That's right. This was originally a Sharl snack, after all.
Wait, the Sharl eat this?
Yes, I call this snack Country Sharl. I've changed the flavor to the Sharl's likings.
I thought they looked kind of good, though...
Humans can eat them, too. The ingredients aren't any different from snacks people usually eat.
However, the flavors are for the Sharl, so humans might not like them that much...
That makes me want to try it more./Ion, you shouldn’t eat this.
Hehe, you think so too? I feel the same way.
Kanon, I'm really curious, so I have to try one...
Go ahead, I hope you like it...
Here goes... Om!
How is it? Does it suit your tastes?
The texture is good, but... The sweetness is a little weird, I guess?
It's edible, and it doesn't taste bad, but I don't really want to eat it...
It seems you don't really care for it.
Uu, I'm sorry...
Don't worry about it. It's made for Sharl tastes, so I'm not surprised.

Oh, look at the time.

Um, is this the mascot for this detergent?
Yes, that is General Merciless.
This merciless man uses merciless cleansing power to mercilessly remove stains. I call it Merciless Detergent.
You said merciless so much that I'm a little lost, but I get that it's something amazing.
Sounds like a detergent that would sell really well.
No, it's not selling, to a merciless degree.
...This is a merciless conversation.
Does it work as detergent?/Why not change the character?
Just as I said before, it mercilessly removes stains quite thoroughly.
And yet it's not selling... I guess the impact of a mascot like this is pretty big.
The appearance of the mascot makes people ignore the detergent itself... What a merciless world.
...This really is a merciless story in every possible way.

I am mercilessly busy with moving my very legitimate merchandise, you kids find some way to entertain yourself.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Alas, Felion

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Is Spica a mobster?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Is Spica a mobster?

She says she's the queen of the underworld.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah, and that Mir was acting as the enforcement arm of her criminal enterprises in between the two games comes up in AT2 during their shop scenes. That I kind of felt like I didn't show those off as well as I could have is part of why I'm making sure to absolutely hit the shop scenes this time even though they're of course not as strong as the ones from said game.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Kadorhal posted:

That was sort of the pattern I mentioned seeing in the earlier Dives.

See - it was mentioned earlier in the thread that if you played Ciel enough you could marry Ion in-game, right? :japan: So of course when you get into the sequel and she's still there and it's explicitly established that your character is controlled by you, the same person who game-married her in the last game, you expect everything to be perfectly fine and for her to already care about you more than anything and all that lonely-otaku-fantasy jazz.

Then, psyche! She's actively hindering your attempts to progress through her Dive, because she doesn't want you getting closer to her. With added bonus in the first one with Kanon that, if you gently caress up at the last second, it's revealed the most important thing to her is herself. Not you. And now here you give her the chance to play out the role you had in Ciel, while you're stuck in her role, and she immediately ditches you after the first day.

I was convinced Gust had become disenfranchised with Ciel's playerbase for whatever reason and was actively lashing out at them.

Considering how the seventh dimension works (and Ion very much knows how it works), it's little wonder she doesn't trust Earthes at all. By the logic of the seventh dimension, he/she could hop back to any point in time and say or do anything they needed to manipulate anyone or anything they needed to. It's almost by definition impossible to trust anyone with that much power over you. It'd be like listening to the shady guy who lost his dog in the back of his van.

In that light, Ion resisting so much in her Dives makes a lot more sense. She doesn't trust you at all, and it shows.

Materant fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 29, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I actually really like these segments, since they're the closest thing we've gotten to insight on how the humans and sharl live and interact.

Also the way Kanon's dialog portrait was taken in totally different lightning from everyone else's really irrationally bothers me.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Sindai posted:

I actually really like these segments, since they're the closest thing we've gotten to insight on how the humans and sharl live and interact.

Also the way Kanon's dialog portrait was taken in totally different lightning from everyone else's really irrationally bothers me.

Yeah I've been meaning to retake hers and Sarly's in better lighting, I might do that for both of their next appearances.

Update tomorrow taking us to where we'll be switching back to Delta and Cass for a bit. poo poo's about to start getting bad.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah yeah, good old Merciless Detergent.

I actually kind of feel for Kanon. She just seems so... nostalgic. In the pain kind of sense.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Short update coming later today taking us to the end of Ion's current section. It's actually super eventful despite being short, and will leave us actually well-informed for once. Then we'll move to Delta and Cass, starting with the Cass/Kanon Dive.

If the update takes a while, it's because I'm terribly ill.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I have got to get a better babysitter, one who doesn’t leave her charges unsupervised to check in on a bunch of counterfeit Gergos that fell off a truck. I mean they weren’t even real, that’s like several levels of shady. Anyway story time. When we last left Ion, she was getting ready to return to Felion with the bad news that Cosal wouldn’t budge. As it happened, though, they had larger problems.

This is bad! I need to hurry and find Nay!

Fortunately, while the city had fallen, Nay was still holding out back at Delta’s old restaurant.

Oh, Ion. Welcome.
…Where are all the townspeople?
…They were taken by the Sharl. I searched the whole area and only found these few.
Oh no…!
All I can do right now is protect this handful of people. That’s it.
So much for the Divine Empress. I can’t even save a single city.
PLASMA’s been dissolved. We can’t function as a nation anymore. I’m only Empress in name.
I guess I’ve finally just become a full time chef.
…Nay.

Um, I…I’ll go check outside!
Fine, but be careful. The city isn’t safe anymore.
If you find anybody, tell them to come here. And if you run into any Sharl, you’d be better off running away.
Okay, thanks.

The city was indeed deserted.

I didn’t make it in time…
Can I still save them…?
I was looking for you.

Except, of course, for a very unwelcome visitor.

I’d prefer if you didn’t wander around so much, Ms. Lighthouse Keeper.
Why are you here!?
The preparations are complete. I just came to let you know.
Preparations…?
Yes. For you and I to return to our world.
What do you mean…?
He he he. Ionasal, do you hate me?

I’m sure you do. I don’t really like you, either.
Unfortunately, I can’t return without your help, so I came to get you.
In return, you can come with me.
No! You can’t destroy this world just so you can go home!
I don’t intend to destroy this world.

Given Ion doesn’t terribly trust her friends, it’s no surprise she didn’t trust someone she knows for a fact is a terrible person.

Doesn’t that mean you’re planning to sacrifice them to go back?
I can’t forgive you for that!
You’re mistaken. I’m just going to borrow a little bit of energy from the humans Zill’s gathering.
I’m not destroying this world, and it won’t BE destroyed, either.
Got it? End of discussion.

You don’t believe me? I guess I can’t help that.
Right now your Oversight is dulled, so you don’t even know what I’m doing, right?
How…?!
You were always so capable of using Oversight before. Let me tell you why it’s so dull right now.
Any being from another world has Oversight. The people of this world brought us here to use that power.
But the people of this world can now gain the benefits of Oversight without doing that.
The robot with you has it, doesn’t he? See, in this world, there are a lot of similar “connections.”
The other connections mean that your Bus is no longer sufficient. That’s why you’ve lost your power.
I…I see.

Especially when they’re a huge jerk.

I…!
Why don’t you come find out how I plan to return?
I’ll be waiting for you at the Placenta.

Am I causing you trouble, Ion?/What’s Oversight…?
No, you aren’t! You’re very important to me.
Even if you are using part of my Bus, like Nelo said, this is still what’s best for now.
Compared to losing you, having my Oversight dulled a bit isn’t a problem at all.
So please, don’t worry about that.
Anyway, we need to hurry up and get to Nelo, before something terrible happens.

Feinne’s Notes:
It’s worth it to hear the explanation of Oversight from the other option.

It’s the ability to overlook everything in this world.
I was brought here to use it, and to bring the people of the dying planet Ra Ciela to a new planet.
But as you can see, that didn’t work out. I failed, and now things are pretty bad.
That’s why I need to stop Nelo—to make up for my own mistakes.

There’s also some dialog that only happens if you’ve got Ciel Nosurge data, where Nelo taunts Ion about having been, without her knowledge, an honorary member of her support team back on Ra Ciela. This was connected to the time Nelo spent with Delta and Cass as kids, which will come up again. Anyway back to the show.

They hurried to the Flask Sea to try and stop Nelo.

…This is terrible.
We need to save them…/Things are getting exciting!
You’re right. But to do that we need to talk to Nelo, and find out what the truth is behind all of this.
Let’s hurry, okay?

Ion, as it happened, was not the only person trying to stop Nelo and Zill.

Prime Minister!
…Ionasal! Why are you here!?
Nelo called me here… I think she’s planning to do something at the Placenta. I have to stop her.
Turn back. I can’t have you go any further.
She’s trying to create a creature that can Overlook the 8th Dimension.
What…? Is that possible?
It’s called the “Maternal Overseer.” They described it as a “God to surpass all gods”.
What will happen if it’s created!?
This world will likely end.
No…! I have to stop her!
You are the key to the “Maternal Overseer.” You cannot fall into their hands. I will stop them myself.
No, you can’t! You’re already hurt!
Even so, I must. If I don’t stop them now, it will be too late!
It’s okay, I’ll do it.
No, it’s too dangerous… You must escape this place, quickly.
I won’t run away. There are people I want to save!

While the Prime Minister couldn’t convince her to leave, he did have something more than information to contribute.

What? Have we met in the past?
Yes… A long time ago.
We don’t have much time, so listen well. If you insist on going, there’s something I want to give you. Here.
Is this a vacuum tube?
There’s a song inside. Connect it to your partner, then download it before going to the Placenta.
…A song?
I wove it, along with your friend.
Nelo will sing a song to create the “Maternal Overseer.”
That’s our secret weapon to stop her.
A song… To stop a song?
Yes. “Class::EXPAJA;”.
…I understand. Thank you very much, Prime Minister.
Be careful, Ionasal. The “Maternal Overseer” is a truly dangerous being.

Feinne’s Notes:
You could also read that as CLASS::EXPURGER; without feeling bad about it, given EXEC::PAJA was localized as PURGER and I think that’s the clear intent of the name. Anyway, here’s a video of a random fight as of now.

Video- Random Battle

Watch

This should give you some idea how actual fighting goes outside of boss fights, and it also has Nelico’s fourth outcome at the end. This trash set (it’s at Imperial Avenue) is actually pretty important if you’re doing Ion first because it’s the source of a pair of currently rare and difficult to acquire ingredients, Ribden Dioxide and Particle Consolidation Spray. You’ll need to clear these guys several times if you want to synthesize all of the items you can here, though you could easily pair this with your DP grinding if you haven’t done all the Dives you can yet given you’ll get nearly 8k per fight here.

As far as what happened at the Placenta, that’ll have to wait for a while. After all, we haven’t heard what Delta and Cass were up to. We’ll be switching to them for a bit, next time.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Authority

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007

Feinne posted:

You don’t believe me? I guess I can’t help that.
Right now your Oversight is dulled, so you don’t even know what I’m doing, right?
How…?!
You were always so capable of using Oversight before. Let me tell you why it’s so dull right now.
Any being from another world has Oversight. The people of this world brought us here to use that power.
But the people of this world can now gain the benefits of Oversight without doing that.
The robot with you has it, doesn’t he? See, in this world, there are a lot of similar “connections.”
The other connections mean that your Bus is no longer sufficient. That’s why you’ve lost your power.
I…I see.

Oversight is such a videogamey ability I just can't help but love it. Practically speaking, Oversight is the ability the view the world of a videogame from the point of view of the person playing said videogame. This means that you, the person playing Ar noSurge, have Oversight on Ra Ciela. And if you were to somehow be dragged into the world of Ar noSurge, just like Nelo and Ion, you would still have Oversight. Unless, of course, someone else if using up all the bandwidth. loving Bittorrent.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Waaaaaaaaait. It only just connected to me that Nelo is also from Earth. The hell does she want to come back here for? It's not like Earth isn't also full of lovely people... Though it does occur to me that emotionally, just getting the gently caress away from the lovely people you have already met might be a big deal. Never mind.

Why are they dancing around the Prime Minister's identity? Dick move if they're going to drop that he and Ion met before.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I think he actually explains who he is and how he knows what Zill's up to in Delta and Cass' section.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

booksnake posted:

Why are they dancing around the Prime Minister's identity? Dick move if they're going to drop that he and Ion met before.

He's Delta's stern but loving father who has been trying to groom his son to take up his position in the paramilitary group he has a leadership role in after he retires. If this is actually true, I am so sorry.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 31, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

booksnake posted:

Waaaaaaaaait. It only just connected to me that Nelo is also from Earth. The hell does she want to come back here for? It's not like Earth isn't also full of lovely people... Though it does occur to me that emotionally, just getting the gently caress away from the lovely people you have already met might be a big deal. Never mind.
Well the Ra Ciela humans saw her as a tool, kept her imprisoned for five thousand years, and then turned her into a magic cell phone server, so she's understandably a little bitter.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 31, 2015

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Well, poo poo, I think we need to see what happened on Cass and Delta's side of things, because little psychopath has Prim again. Also the Prime Minister not being hilariously evil and in fact downright helpful is a nice change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The actual reason Nelo wants to go back is that the Ra Cielans make lovely futons, and she wants to sit on a good one again.

• Locked thread