Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Sash! posted:

I don't like the graduate transfer things only because I'm skeptical about the academic part of it.

I too am against college athletes receiving Masters Degrees, which are unilaterally considered more worthwhile than Bachelor's Degrees \sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

dumb

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 27, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Maxwells Demon posted:

I too am against college athletes receiving Masters Degrees, which are unilaterally considered more worthwhile than Bachelor's Degrees \sarcasm.

The graduate transfer is the "get out of jail free" card of the college football world. Instead of rolling for doubles you just flash your bachelor's and away you go.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Morby posted:

Yikes, that secondary. Hopefully the incoming transfers and freshmen will step up. I'm assuming that at least some of the transfers are due to them not fitting Muschamp's scheme. I guess it can't be helped.

Will you play Man or Zone, Countess is good at one.. bad at the other.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
News: USA Today updated their spreadsheet on AD budgets

Views: Rutgers is very bad at finances.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

In pretty funny college name news - Auburn will have a Duke, Prince, Queen, King, President, and Countess on its roster in 2015 with the transfer of Blake Countess going through.

Duke Williams - WR
Tyler Queen - QB
Prince Tegawanahoholuloooo Jr. - Some sort of defensive player
Gimel President - DT
Blake Countess - CB
Gray King - WR and suspected Lord of the Iron Isles

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Holy poo poo Wazzu is pushing a $15 mil deficit

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Holy poo poo Wazzu is pushing a $15 mil deficit

They're going to kill that program soon D:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

vyst posted:

In pretty funny college name news - Auburn will have a Duke, Prince, Queen, King, President, and Countess on its roster in 2015 with the transfer of Blake Countess going through.

Duke Williams - WR
Tyler Queen - QB
Prince Tegawanahoholuloooo Jr. - Some sort of defensive player
Gimel President - DT
Blake Countess - CB
Gray King - WR and suspected Lord of the Iron Isles

Prince Tega Wanogho is also an interesting story because he is a Nigeria native who came to the U.S. in the hopes of getting a basketball scholarship. The football coach at his HS noticed him and said "Hey, why not try playing football?". Prior to this year, he was completely unfamiliar with the sport. Unfortunately he broke his leg playing basketball back in Feb, so I don't think we'll see him on the field this year.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thoguh posted:

Created a spreadsheet with surplus and surplus - subsidy, though the classification of subsidy is not entirely fair: For example, TTU has a $4 million subsidy which comes from the student tickets fee while UT gets to claim $0 subsidy because they sell tickets direct. Other schools are taking substantially more to make up for revenue shortfalls.

e: linking the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10-XZPP0UcSoIBta4gB0URtyiunf3cI3iX-FlQar_w_k/edit?usp=sharing

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 27, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Thoguh posted:

USA Today is one of the most insidious members of the Enemies of Rutgers Athletics.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
And man, if you ever think the NCAA is bad just go take a gander at FIFA. The NCAA is just babytown frolics.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Oregon's surplus without subsidies is larger than revenues generated by 200 other schools. Their surplus is almost greater than the bottom 15 revenues combined.

jfc, Oregon

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Crotch Bat posted:

And man, if you ever think the NCAA is bad just go take a gander at FIFA. The NCAA is just babytown frolics.

Just don't read TRP.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

The graduate transfer is the "get out of jail free" card of the college football world. Instead of rolling for doubles you just flash your bachelor's and away you go.

It just frees them from having to deal with the normal restrictions on transfers and the normal restrictions on transfers are really really stupid.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

It just frees them from having to deal with the normal restrictions on transfers and the normal restrictions on transfers are really really stupid.

I agree they can be stupid but how would you change them without turning every offseason into a free agent market?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

I agree they can be stupid but how would you change them without turning every offseason into a free agent market?

I would probably start by not giving a poo poo about whether or not the offseason turns into a free agent market. If they're in good standing academically they should be free to transfer without restriction like any other student, particularly if the guy who they signed to play for can bolt for a new job at any time.

If the player in unhappy with his current situation I don't see why we should make it more difficult for him to find one that is a better fit for what he wants out of school and football. I care a lot more about doing well by the players than I do anything else.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 27, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

I would probably start by not giving a poo poo about whether or not the offseason turns into a free agent market. If they're in good standing academically they should be free to transfer without restriction like any other student, particularly if the guy who they signed to play for can bolt for a new job at any time.

If the player in unhappy with his current situation I don't see why we should make it more difficult for him to find one that is a better fit for what he wants out of school and football. I care a lot more about doing well by the players than I do anything else.

I tend to doubt the intentions of players banned from playing for a year because of academic reasons.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

I tend to doubt the intentions of players banned from playing for a year because of academic reasons.

did you not see the "if their academics are in order" part?

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN

Anals of History posted:

Oregon's surplus without subsidies is larger than revenues generated by 200 other schools. Their surplus is almost greater than the bottom 15 revenues combined.

jfc, Oregon

Just imagine if Texas wasn't complete poo poo.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Anals of History posted:

jfc, Oregon

USA Today claims they're up 80 million from last year, which indicates to me that Oregon probably changed it's reporting or what it reported more than them suddenly making 60% more this year than last.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I knew it was a while but I didn't realize Florida hasn't scheduled an OOC game outside of Florida since 1991.

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2015/5/27/8651255/fsu-uf-out-of-conference-out-of-state

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

drat you, Oregon :argh:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Maxwells Demon posted:

USA Today claims they're up 80 million from last year, which indicates to me that Oregon probably changed it's reporting or what it reported more than them suddenly making 60% more this year than last.

Phil Knight had a huge one time donation of like $90 million.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

wandler20 posted:

I knew it was a while but I didn't realize Florida hasn't scheduled an OOC game outside of Florida since 1991.

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2015/5/27/8651255/fsu-uf-out-of-conference-out-of-state

Yes you were. Every Nole has that printed in Comic Sans on their diploma.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

wandler20 posted:

why would anyone in the sec ever schedule an OOC far away lol

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Ehud posted:

Sometimes its fun to get away from the deep south.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

Tennessee has done it in most recent memory with UCLA, Oregon and now Oklahoma.

Granted we've gotten plowed as thanks for it but whatever.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Ehud posted:

Because your mind is on other things?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MindlessHavok posted:

Tennessee has done it in most recent memory with UCLA, Oregon and now Oklahoma.

Granted we've gotten plowed as thanks for it but whatever.

And Cal. Which was also more plowage.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

N: The bidders for the 2017, 2018, and 2019 national championships are: Atlanta, Charlotte, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Minneapolis, New Orleans, San Antonio, and San Francisco (via Santa Clara).

V: New Orleans will win one, one of Atlanta or Houston should get one, who knows on the other.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

And Cal. Which was also more plowage.

Notre Dame in '01 but we won that one :smug:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MindlessHavok posted:

Notre Dame in '01 but we won that one :smug:

@ Miami '03 wasn't out of the Southeast but that game was still fun as a non-fan. And it also had

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Korranus posted:

N: The bidders for the 2017, 2018, and 2019 national championships are: Atlanta, Charlotte, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Minneapolis, New Orleans, San Antonio, and San Francisco (via Santa Clara).

V: New Orleans will win one, one of Atlanta or Houston should get one, who knows on the other.

we should have one at the bahamas bowl

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Dabo dodges a bullet by canceling an appearance to receive an award from some innocent sounding non-profit after it's revealed that it's a political group aimed against same-sex marriage.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/05/dabo-swinney-clemson

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The SEC is "substantially" increasing fines for rushing fields.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

No fun conference

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Lame. Rush every field.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

The SEC schools make poo poo tons of money anyway so rush all fields and screw the fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ehud posted:

There's a difference between "far away" and "outside of your own state."

If I was in charge of a college, I'd see to it that we systematically played and beat every FBS team in our stadium. I figure some of the late ones will end up getting pricey.

• Locked thread