Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
If you're not taking Quantity as Ottomans to role play as massive hordes of terrifying Muslims laying waste to Europe in seemingly inestimable numbers then I don't even want to loving know you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Another screenshot of something new. Scary for the arabians that the timurids now have strait access to the arabian penisulta, although chances are that they just vassalize hormuz and then get stuck there. The horde AI seems to rarely integrate their vassals. But I remember being involved in a couple wars against the timurids early on in my jihad run where they couldn't do anything due to lack of military access. This change certainly makes playing in arabia a lot more volatile early on. Also zoroastrians.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

I think "pointless" regarding trade companies is a bit overstated....have you tried it yourself? I've done it both ways as the Ottomans and felt I was more powerful when I Westernized early and went trade company heavy (I made sure to have a vassal in India before I Westernized :ssh: (also if you annex someone that has a vassal you gain that vassal regardless of tech level)).
Also the general consensus for the Ottomans is to take Humanism first :confused: You already get a -33% coring cost from National Ideas and claims on a ton of land via events and taking Humanism lets you ignore unrest entirely. Reduced Coring cost does not increase your overextension threshold and just because you core things quick does not let you ignore non-accepted cultures or other religions.

Yeah I felt like Admin first on Ottomans was a little overkill, you already have super cheap cores and are more limited by overextension and AE.

Humanist is great for obvious reasons, I felt Religious was a decent option when I tried it out if you make an effort to Unify Islam early on.

I've never been a huge fan of Westernizing as Ottoman/Eastern tech because you lose out on Indian/Chinese vassals and with Western Arms Trade or Impiety you can shave off another 10% tech cost, it's easy to stay at parity. I should try out a Trade Company heavy game, though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

I've never been a huge fan of Westernizing as Ottoman/Eastern tech because you lose out on Indian/Chinese vassals and with Western Arms Trade or Impiety you can shave off another 10% tech cost, it's easy to stay at parity. I should try out a Trade Company heavy game, though.
I vassalized two small countries in the Indian subcontinent riiiight before I finished westernizing, then I took advantage of India and Malacca being disjointed and daisy-chained my way all the way over to Malacca, taking the majority of the trade power provinces on the way and it was absurd...I mean I had like 10 merchants or something silly. It was micromanagement heavy and it kinda burned me out but the amount of trade I had flowing past India through Aden and Alexandria was just bonkers. Because I had Quantity, Defensive, and Treasuries I just had stupid amounts of troops, so much so that it trivialized the game and I stopped playing :v:

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I'd hope there wasn't a cap on development. I mean some places have obvious reasons for high base tax/development. Its either awesome land, the best for miles around or pretty good and an area people have put effort into for years.

Then you get dumps like venice. High base tax purely because a bunch of rich people made it so.

I want to make a new super city out of a maleria infested hell hole (5th Rome!).

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I haven't played this game in a while and forgot how annoying lucky nations are. As France, I keep losing battles to stupid lucky Austria despite outnumbering them 2-1 in a battle because my moral can never recover fast enough.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

James The 1st posted:

I haven't played this game in a while and forgot how annoying lucky nations are. As France, I keep losing battles to stupid lucky Austria despite outnumbering them 2-1 in a battle because my moral can never recover fast enough.

Yeah lucky nations make you work for it. Are you using one big stack to do the fights with Austria or are you reinforcing with fresh troops? The latter is far more effective. There's a couple other things you may want to look at (general pips, tech level, combat width, army composition) if you are looking for suggestions.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

James The 1st posted:

reinforce during battle, don't cross rivers, avoid forests hills and mountains, use generals and try to lure the enemy into attacking YOU.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Mans posted:

reinforce during battle

Wait, is there some advantage to reinforcing during battle against a big stack instead of just dumping all your stacks in there right away?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Elman posted:

Wait, is there some advantage to reinforcing during battle against a big stack instead of just dumping all your stacks in there right away?

If you've got more troops than the combat width (or even just a bunch more troops than the enemy), having a giant stack doesn't help much unless enough of them get killed/routed for the extras to matter, while splitting them up means a boost in morale each time the reinforcements drop in.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 27, 2015

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Roadie posted:

If you've got more troops than the combat width (or even just a bunch more troops than the enemy), having a giant stack doesn't help much unless enough of them get killed/routed, while splitting them up means a boost in morale each time the reinforcements drop in.

Yep another way to say this is that troops that are in a stack take morale damage whether they are fighting or not.

If you have a 50 stack but only 25 can fight (due to combat width), all 50 regiments are taking morale damage. So halfway through the fight all 50 regiments will be at (let's say) half morale.

If you have a 25 stack start the fight then they will fight just as well as the 50 stack, but only the 25 regiments are taking morale damage. When the remaining 25 regiments arrive, those troops will be at 100% morale.

Note: It's helpful to have a few spare infantry regiments for soaking in the first group, so maybe go with 30-35 (with the extra over combat width being inf) for the first stack and then reinforce from there. Depends on reinforce times and how much micro you are doing on that battle.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Wait, so combat width is "how many units in combat at all, including the artillery firing from the back line?" That is....not at all what I thought it was.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dallan Invictus posted:

Wait, so combat width is "how many units in combat at all, including the artillery firing from the back line?" That is....not at all what I thought it was.

Not exactly. It has how many Infantry and Cavalry are fighting. Artillery is in the second row and also fights in their own special way.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dallan Invictus posted:

Combat width is "how many units can be in a line". The front line units can always attack, units in the back line cannot unless they are artillery. There is some difference between Cav and Infantry in the front line in terms of how they fight.

So if your combat width is 10 you could have potentially 20 units in battle - 10 melee units in front, 10 artillery in the back. If you are fighting before artillery, then a combat width of 10 would mean you could only effectively use 10 regiments.

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_warfare

The eu4 wiki does a decent job of explaining it if you want more details.

[edit]Yeah I edited it to just point out there are differences between cav and inf in the front line

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 27, 2015

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Technically speaking, infantry and artillery can flank, too, they just don't get as much benefit from it and can't do it from as far away. Cavalry have a higher maneuver score and get a +50% (I think?) damage bonus when flanking, while normally the benefit is just that you are dealing damage without also receiving damage.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Also, combat width gets extra complicated because there's a given number dictated by your miltech (which actually starts at 15, the + from tech is on top of that), and then terrain applies a percentage modifier on top of that result (IIRC).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Roadie posted:

Also, combat width gets extra complicated because there's a given number dictated by your miltech (which actually starts at 15, the + from tech is on top of that), and then terrain applies a percentage modifier on top of that result (IIRC).
Yup! And it is a mechanic that is pretty much completely opaque to the uninformed. There is no where in the UI to look up what your total combat width is. You have to look at your tech screen and do math lol.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I really wish Westernizing changes units to be as powerful as Western group. I think it's ridiculous my massive westernized Incan Empire is still fielding less capable troops than the Spaniards or the Portugese.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I really wish Westernizing changes units to be as powerful as Western group. I think it's ridiculous my massive westernized Incan Empire is still fielding less capable troops than the Spaniards or the Portugese.

While its stupid it is much better balanced these days. You are behind but only slightly behind. And you can still dish out the best Europe can throw at you. Just....don't use leaderless stacks against Prussia ever.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You're not behind at all. Western units aren't any better than the other tech groups any more, they changed that. Every tech group peaks at a different time so sometimes even if you're equivalent tech they might be better, but a couple of unit upgrades on from that you can go back and get your revenge.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elman posted:

All regiments in a battle lose 1% of their morale for every day of combat, even if they're not actively fighting. So you want to wait until your first army is about to break, and then send in the reinforcements.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I like spamming mercenaries around a big battle on my own land and sending them in. You get a surprisingly large boost to morale over the battle doing that.

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

I wouldn't say that, they changed the way the military upgrades and parity is pretty much ok, in fact, if you take a look at the wiki the muslim tech group has advantage militarily for most of the game, are you at the same tech level as them ?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would like to add that the late game westernized Incan troops look super cool. They made it the long but uneventful wars to kick the whitemen out of north america all the better :swoon:.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Bort Bortles posted:

I think "pointless" regarding trade companies is a bit overstated....have you tried it yourself? I've done it both ways as the Ottomans and felt I was more powerful when I Westernized early and went trade company heavy (I made sure to have a vassal in India before I Westernized :ssh: (also if you annex someone that has a vassal you gain that vassal regardless of tech level)).
Also the general consensus for the Ottomans is to take Humanism first :confused: You already get a -33% coring cost from National Ideas and claims on a ton of land via events and taking Humanism lets you ignore unrest entirely. Reduced Coring cost does not increase your overextension threshold and just because you core things quick does not let you ignore non-accepted cultures or other religions.

I had way too much money without trade companies, you just need to push into Europe/Venice early on, this has the side effect that you get to gently caress with Austria earlier which almost always fucks up the entire HRE. There are ways to conquer with only pre-Westernization vassals or conquering someone who has a vassal but that still limits your choices. I don't want vassals to get too big or they take too long to diplo annex, and I generally diplo annex 2 vassals at the same time every 20-25 years then build up new ones.
Getting Admin ideas first and unlocking them up to the coring cost discount asap means you will integrate newly acquired land a lot faster and cheaper. The sooner you get that extra discount the faster it pays off. Cultures and Nationalism never were a problem for me as the Ottos, just wipe some rebels now and then.

In my last Otto game I went Admin, Influence, Quantity and it was hilarious how easily you conquer and integrate large lands. I ended up behind in diplo tech from spamming trade buildings but this meant I made enough money to go way over my force limits.
Comparing my runs with humanist first vs admin first I would say that Admin was more fun and efficient, with humanist ideas I did have less rebels but they really aren't that big of a deal.

Mechanic question, I tried some Ironman starts as The Knights, my strategy was to day zero non-CB DoW Ancona to join the HRE. It took me 11 tries until Ancona didn't get allies midwar, the only difference I could see was me having a diplo rep adviser that game. Is it possible that Dip Rep decreases the chance your wartargets have to get alliances?
My plan was to join the HRE, get the Pope, Austria and Castille as my big allies then share Venice and eat up the Balkans to get a power base strong enough to challenge the Mamluks.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I have to say after being used to needing to be super aggressive as a minor outside of Europe, that strategy didn't work out too well after deciding to play in Europe for the first time since the goon game I played ages ago. Looked like I wouldn't have that much AE only to have 2 years straight of everyone slowly joining up to kill me in the HRE. Restarted with a bit less aggression but even then I don't remember it being that harsh on you. And this was with Austria thinking I'm a cool dude to drink with.

That all said and done, making way on a Hansa to Prussia game. Went over the first hump to culture swap to Danzig even though it meant giving away every province I had to vassals. Then realized Poland stole all my stuff off of TO right after my war. Luck be it, Austria breaks my alliance only to have Bohemia and Muscowy join up. Quick war later and I'm all set to be Prussia once I hit the proper tech. Merchant republic Prussia is going to be crazy.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
In my newest Norway game my king has 0 in military and a legitimacy of 22 (he was a weak heir that refused to die). Currently the civil war disaster is ticking up 1 per month because he has under 1 in military skill. At least that is what the tooltip says. Wierdly it didn't start to tick up at once when he took over as king, but a few years after one of my wars. I thought disasters were linked to the overall revoltrisk in your country which for me was 0,60 so I raised stability to 2 to get that under 0. But that didn't help. Is there nothing I can do to stop this disaster?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Don't worry too much about it, civil wars aren't so much a disaster as they are a way to quickly gain legitimacy.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
You can't get a disaster when at war.

Believe it or not, Civil Wars are actually pretty good when you have a poo poo leader with low legitimacy like yours. They give a lot of events which just throw legitimacy at you, and if you don't like your ruler enough then you can just let a pretender take over with better stats.

Civil wars can be great if you can keep it together with all the unrest it adds.

e; plus, if you finish the civil war you get 3 stab which is just great

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Hard to argue that you're illegitimate after you've killed everyone saying you are.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Civil war is probably the second most benign disaster. As long as you can handle the rebels it's not bad. Obviously you don't want it to happen but compared to what could happen instead it's not bad.

Tomn posted:

Hard to argue that you're illegitimate after you've killed everyone saying you are.
The true king is the one who got crowned.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Poil posted:

Civil war is probably the second most benign disaster. As long as you can handle the rebels it's not bad. Obviously you don't want it to happen but compared to what could happen instead it's not bad.

The true king is the one who got crowned.

Most being? War of the roses?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Aspiration for Liberty. You get a stack of rebels conveniently right in your capital (a pretty large stack however) and all you need to do to end it is just to let them siege it down and wait a couple of years. It does prevent your embassy and other special buildings from working if you've placed them all in your capital, like I do but it's not too much of a problem.

When it happened in my Qing game it did spawn about 200k patriots all over the place from the extra revolt risk but overall it's the least painful disaster in my experience.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I'd say WotR is indeed the most benign. You get an awesome new king, you stomp a handful of rebels, and then you gain some stability.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I dunno, looking at the list on the EUIV wiki and there are some I never knew about which look even limper than WotR. The Count's Feud is just laughable. You get one size 1 noble or size 2 pretender rebel stack, with a chance of a second size 1 stack, and a positive or negative relationship modifier of 50 with Sweden. When it ends you get 50 ducats and one stab.

Seems pretty nothing to me.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Week and half to go before the new expansion and still no pre-order available. Haven't they in the past had them available for pre-order for a few weeks before release?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Nope. They did it once very early on, and they broke it pretty badly they stopped putting pre-orders up for their dlc

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
What an age we live in to ask for preorders on downloadable content.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Yes well it is not Peasant's War I get that, but the timing is awful. Reformation will come in a couple of years and I need to switch so I can get my colonial nations. And Norway is a land with lots of mountains and islands so rebels are a total pain.

Just annoys me that a good start is being ruined by something as random as getting a king with 0 mil. But thats EU4 I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
don't think anyone posted the dev diary yet: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-28th-of-may-2015.858320/

quote:

Send Officers
This is a toggle that can be turned on/off on protectorates. When on, the overlord will pay an additional 33% of that nations land maintenance costs. However, their Liberty Desire is reduced by 10% as long as its on, and they get +20% Land Morale and +5% Discipline.

Divert Trade
This is another toggle on protectorates. While its on, you get 100% of their tradepower, but their Liberty Desire is increased by 30%.

Seize Territory
As you can’t integrate protectorates, but sometimes need some territory from them, you can now seize provinces from them. However, you need to have positive relation with them, and their liberty desire need to be below 50. The province you take have to be within coring range, and taking it will have severe impact on their desire to stay a protectorate.

Tariffs
Increase and Decrease Tariffs for Colonial Nations have been moved into this screen. Of course that is still accessible if you dont buy Common Sense.

Replace Governor
If a colonial nation is below 50% Liberty Desire, you can attempt to replace the governor up to once a year, but it will increase Liberty Desire slightly.

Start Colonial War
Now, you can always demand that your colonial nation (if at peace, and not having a truce), start a colonial war against someone they have a casus belli upon. Colonial Nations now also get casus bellis on all adjacent primitives.

Promote Investments
Trade companies have a toggle now, where you can increase the tradepower by 50%, for a small ticking increase of inflation.

Most of these seem really useful. Finally you can do some things with protectorates!

• Locked thread