Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
The thing that annoyed me most about Unity was all the stuff you'd taken for granted (for example, double assassinations) being locked behind fecking skill points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm playing Unity now and I'm enjoying it so far, once I got used to the slightly different controls. Is there any particular point at which I should do the Dead Kings mission?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Epi Lepi posted:

Is there any particular point at which I should do the Dead Kings mission?

After the main story, definitely. It will spoil events close to the end of Unity's main campaign if you play it early. It takes place several months after Unity's conclusion.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I legitimately get confused by people who enjoyed Unity's fighting system. I had a huge delay where I'd press the button, wait a few seconds, get an animation, repeat the process... unresponsive as all hell. The idea of making a combat system that isn't piss easy is a good one, but they went about it in precisely the wrong way.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Narcissus1916 posted:

I legitimately get confused by people who enjoyed Unity's fighting system. I had a huge delay where I'd press the button, wait a few seconds, get an animation, repeat the process... unresponsive as all hell. The idea of making a combat system that isn't piss easy is a good one, but they went about it in precisely the wrong way.

They're going to be changing it up again for Syndicate, apparently. A bit of it has to do with brass knuckles being the main way to battle enemies over swords, since swords would be much harder to conceal in England at this era.

Considering it's going to be offline too, I don't think we'll see as much poo poo locked behind fake paywalls, which is another huge plus. Hopefully the battle system will be much more reasonable this time.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Narcissus1916 posted:

I didn't hate it. It made me actually have to flee combat a few times and actually plan out my attacks a bit better. Not like the other games... where you can literally slaughter half a village. It makes 'ESCAPE the AREA" kind of pointless.

Though I'd love to see more of a Batman style combat system.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pork Pie Hat posted:

The thing that annoyed me most about Unity was all the stuff you'd taken for granted (for example, double assassinations) being locked behind fecking skill points.

Yeah, I was really bummed at that. They shoulda made the upgrades, y'know, actual upgrades. Give us "delayed investigation" assassinations like in The Saboteur: shank a guy so he bleeds out, but doesn't really cause a fuss until ten seconds down the line when he slumps over and people start checking it out. Triple assassinations. Quadruple assassinations! Go all in.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

That's why they don't like it.

They want the standard AC formula. That's why they buy the game every year. A lot don't like Unity either because it changed the combat system and you're not invincible anymore.

Wasn't like half the reason they made ACIV half of a ship combat game because a lot of people liked that part from 3? I know that the ship combat was the only part I really liked in AC3 and wished there was more of that, and then behold! The next game is basically that multiplied by the entire Caribbean. The only way it could have been better is if they just said gently caress it to the Assassin's/Templar storyline and just made it Sid Meier's Pirates! 2, with all the piratey goodness that implies.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Also unnecessarily dumbing down almost every existing mechanic where some sort of option was removed from it. There was a point where I wanted to make a whole list of those little things that are gone just because. For example you can swim but you can't go underwater to hide, whistling gets removed, using enemies as gun cover, there are animals with copy pasted animations from the previous games but you can't pet them etc. Yeah I know the last one is dumb but you get the point and there were a dozen more examples of that design process, just removing flavor and options from the game while offering nothing in return.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 26, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah, I miss whistling the most. Cherry bomb luring is technically more controlled I guess, but I prefer having as many tries at luring as I want over being able to just tell them where to go.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Don Gato posted:

Wasn't like half the reason they made ACIV half of a ship combat game because a lot of people liked that part from 3? I know that the ship combat was the only part I really liked in AC3 and wished there was more of that, and then behold! The next game is basically that multiplied by the entire Caribbean. The only way it could have been better is if they just said gently caress it to the Assassin's/Templar storyline and just made it Sid Meier's Pirates! 2, with all the piratey goodness that implies.

The AC numbering system is dumb.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

hiddenriverninja posted:

The AC numbering system is dumb.
Yeah that makes poo poo awkward as hell. Especially since after Ezio they never reused the same guy but they still didn't number some things, so there's no single rule that makes all of the numbers and not numbers make any loving sense.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

CrashCat posted:

Yeah that makes poo poo awkward as hell. Especially since after Ezio they never reused the same guy but they still didn't number some things, so there's no single rule that makes all of the numbers and not numbers make any loving sense.

Following their original numbering system (incrementing it when you switched main characters) then Unity would've been AC5, but I believe they said when Unity's title was announced that they're abandoning numbering them altogether.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

macnbc posted:

Following their original numbering system (incrementing it when you switched main characters) then Unity would've been AC5, but I believe they said when Unity's title was announced that they're abandoning numbering them altogether.

Keeping a running tally of how many times you've been let down would be pretty convenient though

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

CrashCat posted:

It seems to be how different one game is to another. Though by that logic Brotherhood should have probably been 3.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Keeping a running tally of how many times you've been let down would be pretty convenient though

IIRC they'd originally stated that they'd provide numbers for those games that had a new Assassin in them.

Only time they'd broken that was Unity.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, I miss whistling the most. Cherry bomb luring is technically more controlled I guess, but I prefer having as many tries at luring as I want over being able to just tell them where to go.

I had cherry bombs work maybe once every hundred tries in Unity. Guards never actually wanted to check them out, and when they did, they'd never get close enough to the source of the bomb to be useful. They'd get just close enough to piss me off and prevent me from assassinating them covertly, making them a huge waste of time.

My option became to show myself just long enough to make them come my way to see "who was that?" before I'd cover shank them. It was equally as stupid but it worked better most of the time.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Grimace posted:

I had cherry bombs work maybe once every hundred tries in Unity. Guards never actually wanted to check them out, and when they did, they'd never get close enough to the source of the bomb to be useful. They'd get just close enough to piss me off and prevent me from assassinating them covertly, making them a huge waste of time.

My option became to show myself just long enough to make them come my way to see "who was that?" before I'd cover shank them. It was equally as stupid but it worked better most of the time.
Yeah, I expected that so I always way overshoot as far as where I toss them. Which is complicated because if it works that means they probably have a bigger radius than I'd like, but if it doesn't work I wasted a limited resource. Bopping in and out of sight is definitely easier. Even easier than previous games I think.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Not numbering them might be Ubi's way of trying to give them a longer sales tail. Still sell some copies of Unity when Syndicate is out, that sort of thing. The numbers could lead people to think sequels render the previous entries moot. Of course, another way to combat this would be to stop putting them out like loving Madden games but they never asked me.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm all for a game where you play a pair of communist twins who murder rich people in Victorian London, but it's modern enough that it really feels weird that this is an Assassin's Creed game. With no swordplay and much more effective guns than in previous settings the combat should be completely different for one thing. But I know it won't be.

TheScott2K posted:

Not numbering them might be Ubi's way of trying to give them a longer sales tail. Still sell some copies of Unity when Syndicate is out, that sort of thing. The numbers could lead people to think sequels render the previous entries moot. Of course, another way to combat this would be to stop putting them out like loving Madden games but they never asked me.

I think most series drop the numbering when they reach four or five. It just seems a bit creatively bankrupt and embarrassing to be a fourth sequel, like a parody of endless Rocky sequels or something (except there are way more AC games than there are Rocky films haha), so they don't want to draw attention to it. But even Star Wars dropped the numbering for the new sequels.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I think higher numbers than 4 tend to scare new players away. Consider we're approaching a decade of Assassins Creed games, and the numbering probably makes people think that "oh, I can't jump in there's to much backstory".

Like how jumping into Bleach or Dragonball around episode 150 is gonna screw you up without another fan going "Person X does Z because Y!"

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

marktheando posted:

I'm all for a game where you play a pair of communist twins who murder rich people in Victorian London, but it's modern enough that it really feels weird that this is an Assassin's Creed game. With no swordplay and much more effective guns than in previous settings the combat should be completely different for one thing. But I know it won't be.

I think the gang conceit (and the game taking place almost 40 years after the introduction of Scotland Yard and during the birth of forensic science) is intended to explain away why not everybody just shoots everyone all the time. That said I doubt there will even be a token nod in that direction and my post in this thread right now will stand as an apologia and a monument to that failure lol

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

marktheando posted:

I think most series drop the numbering when they reach four or five. It just seems a bit creatively bankrupt and embarrassing to be a fourth sequel, like a parody of endless Rocky sequels or something (except there are way more AC games than there are Rocky films haha), so they don't want to draw attention to it. But even Star Wars dropped the numbering for the new sequels.
The Fast and the Furious Franchise brought back numbers are nr3 and nr4, cause why not. :allears:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

marktheando posted:

The lack of swordplay and better guns sound like ideal conditions for making AC5:Kill The Rich a much more stealth focused game where, outside of recruiting gangs of poors, you have to actually behave like an assassin and creep up on people to stab them.

But it's Ubisoft, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

the introduction of Scotland Yard and during the birth of forensic science) is intended to explain away why not everybody just shoots everyone all the time.
Firearm and bullet identication hasn't been recognized by courts till the start of 20th century so that doesn't really help their case.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Calax posted:

I think higher numbers than 4 tend to scare new players away. Consider we're approaching a decade of Assassins Creed games, and the numbering probably makes people think that "oh, I can't jump in there's to much backstory".

Like how jumping into Bleach or Dragonball around episode 150 is gonna screw you up without another fan going "Person X does Z because Y!"

I'm just now getting to playing IV and it's really obvious they regret trying to have an over-arching plot at all. I'm sure there are some insane people who care about how the modern-day stuff goes but I think probably 99% of people who play the games don't give gently caress One about it. The funny thing is that they did it to themselves. Altair was a boring dude and it felt like "OK, I'm Desmond, but I'm controlling a dude in the past" was natural. But then they made 2, and made the player character not just "not boring" but actually "awesome", so you ended up caring about him and his sister and family.

Given this, the sheer boring nature of AC3's protagonist makes sense. They were trying to close pandora's box. Which didn't work at all, so in AC4 they made another really cool and fun guy to play as.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

precision posted:

Given this, the sheer boring nature of AC3's protagonist makes sense. They were trying to close pandora's box. Which didn't work at all, so in AC4 they made another really cool and fun guy to play as.

Connor would have been so boring had so much of the game not been left on the cutting room floor. Look it up on YouTube if you're curious, there's a ton of scenes (only recorded dialogue) that flesh out Connor's character and the overall story and make him a much better protagonist.

It still would have been a wacky-forest-gump-esque journey through the American Revolution but Connor would have at least had real character and better motivations.

Edward IS way more interesting (screw the creed, money is where it's at), as was Arno (Ezio 2.0) and even Shay. Connor could have been something different from the "dashing, charming rogue" the series seems to have settled on.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Adewale for life and Haytham for president.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Palpek posted:

Adewale for life and Haytham for president.

Adewale is great, but Aveline is where it's at.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Adewale's confrontation with Rogue is GREAT fan service. I'm also noting it because me and a bunch of other people apparently skipped it by killing the target too early in that sequence.

If Ubisoft understood how to manage stuff, they would've delayed Unity (and by extension the 50 other AC games in the pipeline) a year and thrown more money and programmers at Rogue. I get that Assassins Creed is now an annual franchise, but I am legitimately worried that the brand will survive.

Most of my IRL videogame friends stayed far from Unity or picked it up on sale and haven't even bothered to beat it. Absolutely no one I know is interested in Syndicate.

I understand that franchises have a brand and can survive on loyalty alone, but it would suck to high heaven if Syndicate is actually decent but bombs because of how much trust Unity eroded.

Just fix the goddamn texture pop, that's all I care about. Give me that and a lockedish 30 FPS and the historical tourism stuff is good enough to get me through.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Narcissus1916 posted:

I understand that franchises have a brand and can survive on loyalty alone, but it would suck to high heaven if Syndicate is actually decent but bombs because of how much trust Unity eroded.
This is what happened to Black Flag by the way. Ok it didn't bomb but AC3 sold a lot more because it was a sequel to a decent game and Black Flag sold less because it was a sequel to a bad game. This WILL happen to Syndicate no matter if it's good or not.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Palpek posted:

This is what happened to Black Flag by the way. Ok it didn't bomb but AC3 sold a lot more because it was a sequel to a decent game and Black Flag sold less because it was a sequel to a bad game. This WILL happen to Syndicate no matter if it's good or not.

This is amazing, I genuinely thought Black Flag was considered a modern, if not "masterpiece", at least "very very good game". Looking back the reviews for the PS4 version were quite glowing. On the other hand there was never a point where I thought "I should play AC3" (and for that matter, Revelations) even though I loved the poo poo out of 1, 2 and Brotherhood.

And I am legit psyched for Syndicate. Since Rogue and Unity are so cheap now I'll almost surely end up grabbing them. Though literally the only things about Unity I can think of being excited for are "Notre Dame" and "the Marquis de Sade" and I'm aware there's like a 75% chance they hosed up de Sade's character somehow.

I do wish they would do another game set further back in time. A game set in Plague-era Europe, including a sprawling but mostly abandoned London? poo poo yeah! Or what about China during the time of Genghis Khan? gently caress it make a game where you meet Jesus and he's an Assassin, at least the controversy would be great marketing.

When they used Hassan i Sabbah for a while I thought they'd draw from slightly more fringe "NWO terror" material like The Illuminatus! Trilogy. Sigismundo Celine would have been a perfect protagonist to make the bridge from Ezio and Europe to America. In fact now that I think about it, he is literally Ezio in most ways and when he gets to America he spends a lot of time with Native Americans so I bet someone on the staff is a fan.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

A game where you play Judas Iscariot as an Assassin

Actually, in the canon AC history, Jesus is just a charlatan who owned a Piece of Eden.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

precision posted:

This is amazing, I genuinely thought Black Flag was considered a modern, if not "masterpiece", at least "very very good game". Looking back the reviews for the PS4 version were quite glowing. On the other hand there was never a point where I thought "I should play AC3" (and for that matter, Revelations) even though I loved the poo poo out of 1, 2 and Brotherhood.

And I am legit psyched for Syndicate. Since Rogue and Unity are so cheap now I'll almost surely end up grabbing them. Though literally the only things about Unity I can think of being excited for are "Notre Dame" and "the Marquis de Sade" and I'm aware there's like a 75% chance they hosed up de Sade's character somehow.

I do wish they would do another game set further back in time. A game set in Plague-era Europe, including a sprawling but mostly abandoned London? poo poo yeah! Or what about China during the time of Genghis Khan? gently caress it make a game where you meet Jesus and he's an Assassin, at least the controversy would be great marketing.

When they used Hassan i Sabbah for a while I thought they'd draw from slightly more fringe "NWO terror" material like The Illuminatus! Trilogy. Sigismundo Celine would have been a perfect protagonist to make the bridge from Ezio and Europe to America. In fact now that I think about it, he is literally Ezio in most ways and when he gets to America he spends a lot of time with Native Americans so I bet someone on the staff is a fan.

They probably will go earlier in the next game. and unity is 13 bucks used on gamefly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

hiddenriverninja posted:

A game where you play Judas Iscariot as an Assassin

Actually, in the canon AC history, Jesus is just a charlatan who owned a Piece of Eden.

hahaha wow edgy

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
To be fair, in the world of these games that is the case, all religions are the misremembered legacies of a super-intelligent precursor race and the results of humans using artefacts and other remnants that they leave behind. I'm pretty sure that in these games a good number of supernatural events actually happened due to these ancient artefacts, and pretty much any invention you can name was discovered by humans using the artefacts.

But, you know, I don't think Ubisoft will ever make Assassin's Creed 8: The Adventures Of The Son Of God, because while that would definitely generate publicity, it would piss people off on a monolithic level.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know, did anyone even care when we killed the Pope?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

God help Ubisoft if they do a game mentioning the Islamic prophet Muhammad.

precision posted:

It helps that Alexander the VI is one of the most hated Popes of all time, even amongst Catholics. So I don't believe anyone cared that Ezio got to beat the crap out of him.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They probably will go earlier in the next game. and unity is 13 bucks used on gamefly.

They need to put it on the XBox One. I don't want to play it at 720p and 25 fps. I want to play it at 900p and 30 fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

precision posted:

No. it was pope alexander VI, probably one of the most corrupt(outwardly at least) pontiffs ever(though he did do alot of political poo poo and set Girolamo Savonarola off with his corruption. and besides you don't kill him, cesarie does him in in brotherhood. you only beat the gently caress out of him.

• Locked thread