Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Death By The Blues posted:

The music is good. But god drat those are some fake looking raptors, and those blue streaks.

They actually looked awesome and the blue streaks were cool. You're all a bunch of wieners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
If the original movie Raptors for the most part looked better and is from over 20 years ago, you haven't really sold me. I just wished for some if any animatronics or dudes in Raptor suits.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

If the original movie Raptors for the most part looked better and is from over 20 years ago, you haven't really sold me. I just wished for some if any animatronics or dudes in Raptor suits.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The original raptors looked like lifeless rubber. When that one raptor pops out of the bush to attack Muldoon? I felt like I was on the ride at Universal.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jurassic World gonna own just like Jurassic Park 3 owned.

(The Lost World is poo poo though. gently caress that trash.)

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

This made me grin like an idiot. Very down for raptor whisperer.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

As the Godzilla gif hints at, the only time it's tolerable for giant monsters to be dudes in rubber suits is if said giants are fighting robots piloted by 3-5 teenagers wearing spandex.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla would make a cool attraction in Jurassic World.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

As the Godzilla gif hints at, the only time it's tolerable for giant monsters to be dudes in rubber suits is if said giants are fighting robots piloted by 3-5 teenagers wearing spandex.

Except that's a lovely example.

That suit was so bad the people behind the movie itself hated it and wanted to use the suit from the previous movie, GMK. However the GMK suit was too big to scale with Kiryu MechaGodzilla, so they were stuck with a stiff, ugly and fake looking mess.

Mind you the GMK suit also had some issues, mostly seam lines around the neck, thighs, and head, but it was a very expressive animatronic.

It comes down to personal preference, I feel.

I prefer the look of animatronics over CGI myself. Both are equally fake, but I enjoy seeing something physical more. It's like a choose your own peanutbutter kinda thing. Do you want creamy or chunky? Neither are real, and you know it's basically going to taste the same, but...

(And I like stop motion animation the best, because I think it looks cool as hell.)

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
It's not only the CGI but rather the disregard to attempt and blend it in. Watching the old Jurassic Park you could see ILM being forced to work with harder circumstances (rain, night, shadows). With this everything is clean and flat with no discerning difference between background and foreground; all of this is done to make the CGI faster and easier. But if these creatures are seen in clear light it adds to it feeling unnatural and fake.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The music is good. But god drat those are some fake looking raptors

That's because real raptors had feathers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's because real raptors had feathers.

Also the size of chickens.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

It's not only the CGI but rather the disregard to attempt and blend it in. Watching the old Jurassic Park you could see ILM being forced to work with harder circumstances (rain, night, shadows). With this everything is clean and flat with no discerning difference between background and foreground; all of this is done to make the CGI faster and easier. But if these creatures are seen in clear light it adds to it feeling unnatural and fake.

Uh this is exactly backwards. The dark/rain/heavy shadows mask the flaws in JP's CG, and are intentionally used to do just that. The Rex stepping out across the fence (dark, rain) looks 10x better than the Brachiosaur (day, clear). It's actually way harder to make stuff look real in noon style daylight, they did so because they thought the technical challenges could be overcome and because it fit with their vision. Trevorrow alludes to that in this: http://www.wired.com/2015/05/inside-ilm/

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 28, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
What's actually happening is that you are getting photorealistic depictions of animals that are fundamentally not real. The more realistic the effects get, the more successfully they will capture the genuine artifice.

The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park 1 'look real' because they are actually heavily stylized. If you look at individual screencaps, the 'primitive' CG creates a painterly effect, as if each frame were meticulously hand-painted. It's Who Framed Roger Rabbit - a cartoon.

You should be demanding inferior CGI.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 28, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You should be demanding inferior CGI.

I think the reaction has more to do with the way the practical effects were blended with the CGI in the original JP. You can't underestimate the effect that the real, actually physically there puppets have on the audience when those shots are cut in with the inferior CGI. Its not about photorealism, its about tangibility.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Nah, SMG's at least partly right - it's an uncanny valley thing. It's sort of the same thing with HFR - it's objectively closer to the reality we see every day, way more "real" but it violates expectations and triggers an "it's fake" response - because the artifice inherent in the film itself becomes clearer.

It's super interesting to me that a lot of CGI and post processing stuff is done to degrade images and get rid of visual information, so the image will look how we expect it to.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Interesting point - does something look weird because it's an off-putting facsimile of a real thing, or because it's a hyper-accurate, 'photorealistic' portrayal of a thing that never existed at all?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There's a thing about CGI where it can be too "perfect", kind of like SMG said. It stands to reason that the animators and artists naturally try to make whatever they do digitally move smoothly but if it comes off as too smooth it feels really unnatural. Real life things and creatures don't move perfectly and smoothly all the time.

It's kind of tricky to explain but I watched Jarhead recently and the scorpion fight scene is pretty offputting with how fake the scorpions seem. They're textured and lit really well and appear photorealistic in still images but the animation is distractingly smooth and kind of betrays the size of the scorpions too. Nothing that small moves quite that fluidly.

That's one pretty significant advantage motion capture has over keyframe animation and obviously animals (extinct ones in particular) are pretty tricky to mocap. With keyframe animation the artist literally does it frame by frame so the end result can very easily look unnaturally smooth because any flaws or natural oddities in the movement would have to be put in deliberately.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

You know that part in Jurassic Park where Muldoon and Arnold suggest putting the lysine contingency into effect? Why does Hammond get so upset at the suggestion? Is it because it would take too long for the dinosaurs to die off and Hammond wants to do something more immediate?

Also, how did the dinosaurs survive for The Lost World and JP3 without lysine?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Maybe Jurassic World should remain in a constant state of viral promotion and marketing, which has been top-notch, than as an actual released film, which looks cheap and terrible.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

exquisite tea posted:

Maybe Jurassic World should remain in a constant state of viral promotion and marketing, which has been top-notch, than as an actual released film, which looks cheap and terrible.

Ideology.txt

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ehud posted:

You know that part in Jurassic Park where Muldoon and Arnold suggest putting the lysine contingency into effect? Why does Hammond get so upset at the suggestion? Is it because it would take too long for the dinosaurs to die off and Hammond wants to do something more immediate?

Hammond doesn't want to kill the animals, full stop. In the first film the only way the dinosaurs could get lysine is from the park staff, but in the second film (and book I think) it's established/handwaved that it turns out the environment is rich in plantlife containing lysine which the herbivores eat, and then the carnivores eat the herbivores and get the lysine that way.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ehud posted:

In the book the dinosaurs are really expensive to make and Hammond is an rear end in a top hat who won't even have them kill a dinosaur that shoots poison in people's eyes for dissection to figure out where the poison sacs are in the dinosaur so the scientists can remove them before they become a problem to guests.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Ha ha ha. All good points, thread! I will see this movie opening day because it's a Jurassic Park movie. Sorry I have failed you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Those raptors actually look a lot better than the ones in the other three movies, and especially the animatronic ones, which barely move and look mostly like people jamming puppets in from off-frame.

The movie is missing the (different and unique) cinematography of the first two, which used lighting and frame emphasis to "trick" people away from focusing on how "real" something looked at any given time, except for a few key moments.

Also, the Spielberg "film people looking in awe" technique does a great job of transplanting a character's emotions onto the audience. Jaws looks fake as all hell in the first Jaws, but it doesn't matter because you're feeling what the characters are feeling from looking at him.

I think those are some of the things that people are experienced, but aren't really noticing, when they're saying that objectively better looking effects look faker than really fake looking effects.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

exquisite tea posted:

I would have agreed until we hit the weird golf commercial thing today

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

I would have agreed until we hit the weird golf commercial thing today

You can't say that and NOT link it, come on!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

ClassicFascist posted:

You can't say that and NOT link it, come on!

I just youtubed it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU6-9wMJRe8

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

Thank you for doing what I was too lazy to do!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FWIW, the zookeepers that I know all act exactly like that with their animals at work, especially with protected-contact animals, since you can't exactly go in with them and push them around. Animals pick up on your tone of voice and body language quite readily, and it's an important part of training for new keepers.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What the gently caress is that poo poo. Golfing specific promos for Jurassic World?

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Ehud posted:

Plants and poo poo all contain lysine for some reason on that island.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Chamale posted:

What the gently caress is that poo poo. Golfing specific promos for Jurassic World?

As a service worker prepping for the Memorial Tournament this weekend, I support pitting genetically modified killing machines and/or each other against rear end in a top hat golfers

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I really like the idea of Pratt as the Raptor Whisperer. But how intelligent do they expect us to think Raptors really are? In the trailers he says, "Its not about control, its about trust". In the more in depth clip, he calls off the guards who are gonna shoot the raptors, saying they'll never trust him if the guards zap the raptors.

This is really setting up the stage for super intelligent badguy monster vs super intelligent minion creatures. Pratt seems to establish himself as the 'Alpha' of this pack.

Which would be cool, except even with real-life animals, with people trying to insert themselves into an animal's "pack" often at some point the animals go "gently caress this poo poo" :commissar:

I liked Muldoon's attitude better, "horrible creatures, they should all be destroyed". Muldoon at least knew what the Raptors were capable of. He didn't think he was somehow 'above' them just because he understood how they think. While he dies in JP1, it really sets the stage for how potent the raptors really were- here's this guy that knows more how Ingen's raptors behave more than anybody else, and yet he ends up being Raptor chow. A part of me wondered, maybe the Raptors collaborated and decided "this one knows too much!" .

They seem to be making Pratt's character into the next Muldoon, but the best part of Muldoon was the fact that all the dangers of Raptor wrangling ended up getting his rear end eaten in the end to make a point about how dangerous Raptors were. While it seems cool the idea of using Raptors as a potential 'weapon' against the I. Rex at the same time it feels like it kind of 'nerfs' them by allying with humans directly in the way the trailer suggests.

I really hope like real animal handlers Pratt's character gets bit/mauled several times and uses that to make a point about how we have to respect wild animals.

Also, there's this weird parallel I'm drawing between raptor wrangling and dragon wrangling in How to Train Your Dragon. Sure humans might hold their hands up and talk calmly as a display of 'I mean you no harm, calm down, obey my commands inferior creature!' but knowing how some animals are predisposed, I can't help but think this would just be a signal to the animal "this creature is way more submissive and weak than I originally thought, maul/eat it before it actually gets REALLY pissed off"

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 29, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MrYenko posted:

FWIW, the zookeepers that I know all act exactly like that with their animals at work, especially with protected-contact animals, since you can't exactly go in with them and push them around. Animals pick up on your tone of voice and body language quite readily, and it's an important part of training for new keepers.
After watching this I kind of wish there was a scene where Chris Pratt and his keepers take one of the raptors to some college dorm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAPf_hRoRtM

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

After watching this I kind of wish there was a scene where Chris Pratt and his keepers take one of the raptors to some college dorm

Have Pratt bring one of the raptors to say hi to Tim and Lex in a post-credit scene without calling ahead. Just shoot it like a horror movie

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Another Scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1jeYZmRhoA

You can see how much Trevorrow is influenced by Spielberg and 40-50s film making. For the most part the camera is just a simple slide back and forth and covers nearly all of the scene, Spielberg does this a ton. Modern day directors would have had at least 3-4 different shots and 2-3 different sides. Also, unlike the first scene we saw between Howard and Pratt the movement is less blatant and convoluted.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

achillesforever6 posted:

My girlfriend's old roommate has a picture of a lion cub in her kitchen. I've come home to a warning sign on the downstairs bathroom: "DO NOT OPEN - I brought some baby bats home for 24/7 observation, sorry." The refrigerator also contained a container of very unappetizing puréed-fruit bat chow, and a small smorgasbord of baby-bat medications.

Luckily, she mostly works with critters she can't bring home, now. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It'll be interesting to see how the animal behavior stuff will mesh with the twist from the script leak that the new dinosaurs are all animatronic cyborgs that I-Rex controls over Wifi, and Jurassic World is the first in a line of 'World' parks like Roman World, Medieval World, and West World

• Locked thread