Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zolthorg
May 26, 2009

jivjov posted:

Because its not a waste of time, its not disorienting, and its only on the gamepad because last I checked none of the other Wii U controllers have a screen on them.

The screen has a screen on it which is where every other shooting game puts its minimap with a toggle button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is this coming out at midnight tonight? I think Mario Kart 8 was on the Eshop at midnight on the East coast.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Is this coming out at midnight tonight?

Released date is may29

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

zolthorg posted:

The screen has a screen on it which is where every other shooting game puts its minimap with a toggle button.

Yes because a tiny minimap will communicate the same level of territory information that the gamepad screen does..

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

zolthorg posted:

Released date is may29

Thanks. The OP had the 28th so I got confused.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Spacebump posted:

Thanks. The OP had the 28th so I got confused.

Sorry, when I google for release date everything says the 28th so I put that in, but I just changed it to be 29th in the OP to be more clear because that's actually correct.

It should be available at midnight, and even midnight like East Coast or European or something. I can't remember the last eShop game I got but I feel like it was available pretty early. Maybe that was 3DS though...

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Zaphod42 posted:

Sorry grandpa. :smith: Can we still get ice cream on the way home?

Maybe next week, too drunk to put on pants right now. Go ask your sister.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Oh my God! The Final Boss's final phase... Good thing there's only 1-2 days left before the game is here... :allears:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

mr.capps posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Splatoon: FYAD is that way dude, Leave Splatoon Alone

Hahahaha

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Is Zaphod gonna be the TC Jimbo of Splatoon?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
The map being on the game pad is cool and good because it splits your attention, demanding more of you to maintain map awareness

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm going to go for speed in human and squid form initially. I think it's very important.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Why isn't this thread called 'Goons in Splatoons'?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemming posted:

I'm going to go for speed in human and squid form initially. I think it's very important.

Ideally I think you'd want to min-max your teams, although until the competitive pre-made mode comes out you won't really be able to do that.

But ideally you'd have like 2 rollers with all the +speed and +ink they can get, and then like 1 blaster and 1 charger each with lots of +damage to kill dudes.

Then push the enemy back into their base and keep killing them while your rollers run around painting everything.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Because it was made like a year ago at E3 :corsair:

I'd be all for mods changing it. Splatoon: You're a kid now is my vote.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Monster w21 Faces posted:

because the OP isn't clever or amusing in any way

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Goons in splatoons will be the name of the PGS thread, duh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus, I just got the loving joke in the name. I feel stupid as hell.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

jivjov posted:

its not disorienting,
Maybe not for you!

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Hahaha, the Seeker sub weapon is hilarious.

Does anyone know if there's some way of getting new weapons other than from the weapon store? I've seen other players the same level that have weapons not available to me.

Edit: Apparently they're unlocked from finding some of the scrolls in singleplayer.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 27, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus, I just got the loving joke in the name. I feel stupid as hell.

:lol: That's kinda impressive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

:lol: That's kinda impressive.

My only excuse is that I thought it was "splatter + toon (as in cartoon)". That's not really an excuse!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
For some reason the "Single Player Theme" video in this playlist has bad audio with gameplay sound effects muddying it up, which is a shame because it's maybe the best song in the game.

Here it is unfucked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3DzPUu_uAI

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

My only excuse is that I thought it was "splatter + toon (as in cartoon)". That's not really an excuse!

Well it works on that level too.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

because the OP isn't clever or amusing in any way

The real answer

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Deviant posted:

is the music good? what i heard on the stream seemed underwhelming but the quality may have been doodoo

Final Boss Featuring the Squid Sisters

I like the tune a lot.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

That was probably the intent back when the game's concept was cartoon characters trying to blot each other out.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Sade posted:

Goons in splatoons will be the name of the PGS thread, duh

But GoonSquid will be the name of the ingame guild (feature expected early 2018)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Playing this game in a room full of Goons is going to be hilarious.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Spacebump posted:

Playing this game in a room full of Goons is going to be hilarious.

that gross squid smell.
it anint the squids htough....

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Anime Curator posted:

that gross squid smell.
it anint the squids htough....

It's verisimilitude

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
quote this post if you plan on playing professionally

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mr.capps posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Disargeria posted:

Not really local multiplayer, just 1v1.

But its a good point. Why's it okay for player 2 to use a pro controller but not player one?

Short answer: the devs think the touchscreen map is an essential part of the experience and by mandating it for online play they don't have to balance the game for people who aren't using the gamepad. Even the local 1v1 mode was designed to maintain parity between players (and I wish they hadn't because it might have led to more interesting modes with a higher player count).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hey guys i got a joke, you know why Chuck E Cheese likes Splatoon? Its where a kid can be a squid!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mr.capps posted:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

zolthorg posted:

Why would I waste time looking away from my t.v. and disorienting myself to look at a minimap that is ONLY available on the gamepad for no conceivable reason.

"Motion controls? Won't my arm get tired?"

"Two screens on a handheld? I'd have to look back and forth. What human mind can comprehend that much info at once?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Motion controls were really awful and it's a good thing that they're gone.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

mr.capps posted:

S Q U I D B O Y S

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Oxxidation posted:

Motion controls were really awful and it's a good thing that they're gone.
This game has motion controls though.

mr.capps posted:

*does that "eeeh" hand wiggle motion*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I don't care what anyone thinks...... the game is designed for Complex adult brains. this tyranny of fools will not take Bright Colors away from us yet again

• Locked thread