Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

After getting used to dodging and maxing out fast attack I like the combat a lot more and think it controls well, but it's still extremely samey and if some of these later abilities don't mix things up a little more im gonna get pretty bored of dodging, mashing fast attack, and swapping between quen and Igni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ice Fist posted:

On the other hand... Can you come up with a reasonable alternative? The game certainly doesn't offer you one, which is obviously the point. If your objective is to find and save Ciri, basically your daughter, from the Wild Hunt and you are out of leads and you have nearby a sorceress who has a way to get you information in an albeit nasty fashion, are you going to reject it because you feel bad for a dead guy?

Yen takes the "save Ciri at any cost" motive to heart, and while she can be abrasive, annoying, and needlessly secretive at times I don't fault her for being willing to do almost anything to help me save someone dear to me (and her).

Yeah Yennefer will do pretty much anything if it helps her surrogate daughter.

I actually like Yennefer and think she's pretty cool most of the time, even though she can be a dick.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Someone mentioned there is a merchant who sells lots of alchemy recipes (in particular potions and bombs you might have missed). Would anyone mind pointing me in his direction?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Throw bombs, shoot the crossbow, try to use every sign every fight. Sure it's less efficient and usually overkill, but you look/feel like such a badass

4 bandits: dropped yrden, rolled away, threw grapeshot and disintegrated a dudes upper body. Finished another with a crossbow shot, rolled up and igniid the last two. Cut the one on fire in half, force blasted the last onto the ground and impaled his heart.

:black101:

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Caidin posted:

Iorveth and the events of his path get next to no mention, it's kinda of annoying because Vergan side chapter 2 was my favorite part of that game.

At least he got to be a Gwent card.

Speaking of things not in the game, is there actually any quests that let you poke around in Oxenfurt university?

Was Roche just that much more popular? I assume it's the "default" canon for players not importing/simulating import. I could never side witch Roche because it felt I would be slapping Zoltan in the face for doing it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Woozy posted:

Was Roche just that much more popular? I assume it's the "default" canon for players not importing/simulating import. I could never side witch Roche because it felt I would be slapping Zoltan in the face for doing it.

Roche is a classic lovable rear end in a top hat. He's a bit easier to include than Iorveth, who feels more "bound" to the story in Witcher 2 than Roche.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ice Fist posted:

Speaking of this quest (Skellige side quest spoilers): Did anyone do Hjalmar's quest and run off, swords drawn, ready to cut the heads off suspects? I did Cerys (because it seemed way more logical and levelheaded) and at the end when she's crowned queen you see Hjalmar looking like he got the crap beat out of him. I'm wondering what happened there?

Did you forget the bear part? That's where the model comes from.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

As for the Baron, if you get the "good" ending for him where he doesn't kill himself and takes his wife to a healer, does he ever return to his keep or is that oval office Sergeant forever in charge there, now?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just found the most baller rear end armor: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=450506258 from a cannibal camp called Condyle in SW Velen. It was a point worse than what I had but looks so much better.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Man the more I play the more I hope there's an ending choice of telling every faction to go gently caress themselves because all I care about is my Gwent career

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I haven't gone back to see Triss yes. cause I wanted to ask. I believe you can tell either Triss or Yen or both that you love them? But I haven't really experienced very much with Yennefer beyond that little bit in the castle at the beginning. Does she have a whole thing in Skelliage like Triss did in Novigrad? So I can do hers before going back to see Triss?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Macaluso posted:

So I haven't gone back to see Triss yes. cause I wanted to ask. I believe you can tell either Triss or Yen or both that you love them? But I haven't really experienced very much with Yennefer beyond that little bit in the castle at the beginning. Does she have a whole thing in Skelliage like Triss did in Novigrad? So I can do hers before going back to see Triss?

Yes, she does. FTR, you can do both and get a "threesome" scene.

Dvsilverwing posted:

As for the Baron, if you get the "good" ending for him where he doesn't kill himself and takes his wife to a healer, does he ever return to his keep or is that oval office Sergeant forever in charge there, now?

I never saw him come back, although I may have missed something. I think after you complete that mission he kind of "leaves" either way.

Levantine posted:

I just found the most baller rear end armor: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=450506258 from a cannibal camp called Condyle in SW Velen. It was a point worse than what I had but looks so much better.

Looks like the Redanian Halbardier armour, you can buy/find the diagram for it later on but I can't for the life of me remember where or from whom.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Schlesische posted:

Yes, she does. FTR, you can do both and get a "threesome" scene.

This is a little misleading. If you tell both Yen and Triss that you love them, it's a threesome in that Yen and Triss pretend they are going to have a threesome with Geralt, chain him to the bed, and then both dump him. Geralt ends the game sad and alone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Did you forget the bear part? That's where the model comes from.

It's before that actually. If you interrupt him during his fist fight, one of the Berserkers punch him in the face. Then you get to fight them, and if you win you get his rad sword that does +151% crit damage.

mikeraskol posted:

This is a little misleading. If you tell both Yen and Triss that you love them, it's a threesome in that Yen and Triss pretend they are going to have a threesome with Geralt, chain him to the bed, and then both dump him. Geralt ends the game sad and alone.

This is amazing and I love it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mikeraskol posted:

Haha okay I figured going with both was something a little more like this

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Forget the graphics downgrade, this is the real lie that CDProjekt Red fed us: http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-witcher-3-latest-teaser-trailer-includes-hidden-message-2000-openable-doors-confirmed/

Like 1 of 10 doors in Novigrad are openable and there's definitely not 20000 doors in that city.

(Not really a big issue, but I wonder how the hell that got included in the hidden message when it's obviously not true)

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm sorry Triss I love you but you cannot hope to compare to Yennifer's bountiful dog puns.

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.
Can someone tell me what the in-game repercussions are for the save simulation/import choices? I've looked all over the internet and can't find this info anywhere.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I feel like I'm not even two-thirds the way through this game. Maybe not even half, at 50 hours played without touching Skellige or finishing Velen-Novigrad.

I can say, without hesitation, that this is the most immersive and expansive RPG I have ever played. I can see where the combat wouldn't click for some players, and the inventory and crafting UI can be annoying. Fortunately I anticipate those issues will be addressed in patches and mods, and don't detract much from the overall amazing experience.

In over 50 hours of gameplay, with quite a lot more to go, I've been completely enthralled and at no point have I felt like I've been fighting trash monsters or doing grindy MMO-style "fetch 5 bear asses and kill 3 Monsters" quests. That's an amazing achievement, frankly.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Woozy posted:

Someone mentioned there is a merchant who sells lots of alchemy recipes (in particular potions and bombs you might have missed). Would anyone mind pointing me in his direction?

NE of Oxenfurt, across the water, in the woods. There is a halfling herbalist. He sells pretty much anything herb related, and also gives the quest for the master alchemist.

I just met the Crones . holy christmas, whoever designed them, and their quirks, is a goddamn brilliant madman. The amount of detail in one of those characters alone is stunning and when they threaten to gently caress Geralt to death, and the one flashes him using the dead legs of her parasitic twin what the christ. needless to say, i was very impressed.

Darth Ballz fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 28, 2015

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

:nws: :nms:

http://youtube.com/watch?t=96&v=NGT4GO0Cn_A

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
I feel like Gwent must be really confusing to actual people in the world. Who is Milva and why is she a 10 damage card? Oh she's really important she helped Geralt save Ciri from Stygg castle. The fucks a 'Geralt?'

Why does saskias card say sassenthesis. And how come the the king of the wild hunt had an actual name on his card.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dinosaur Satan posted:

Can someone tell me what the in-game repercussions are for the save simulation/import choices? I've looked all over the internet and can't find this info anywhere.

There aren't any repercussions, it just simulates a Witcher 2 save by allowing you to decide on how some things went down in that game after you leave White Orchard.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

I feel like Gwent must be really confusing to actual people in the world. Who is Milva and why is she a 10 damage card? Oh she's really important she helped Geralt save Ciri from Stygg castle. The fucks a 'Geralt?'

Why does saskias card say sassenthesis. And how come the the king of the wild hunt had an actual name on his card.

Just give the complaining fucker the monster deck. That is easy to figure out.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's before that actually. If you interrupt him during his fist fight, one of the Berserkers punch him in the face. Then you get to fight them, and if you win you get his rad sword that does +151% crit damage.

This is amazing and I love it

I didn't have that in my version of it. There was no fist fight for me. He didn't appear beat up until after the bears.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
http://www.twitch.tv/eteaj/b/663440720

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This thread moves really fast and someone said a dev was posting here. Who is it I'd like to read his posts?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Darth Ballz posted:

NE of Oxenfurt, across the water, in the woods. There is a halfling herbalist. He sells pretty much anything herb related, and also gives the quest for the master alchemist.

I just met the Crones . holy christmas, whoever designed them, and their quirks, is a goddamn brilliant madman. The amount of detail in one of those characters alone is stunning and when they threaten to gently caress Geralt to death, and the one flashes him using the dead legs of her parasitic twin what the christ. needless to say, i was very impressed.

Yeah I found that and the other main quest in Velen to just be loving amazing very well done all in all. And really found the crones theme music to be very fitting kinda creepy too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I didn't have that in my version of it. There was no fist fight for me. He didn't appear beat up until after the bears.

Because the fist fight takes place during the feast but before the bears. You missed out on a quest by not noticing the exclamation mark on the minimap.

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

Manatee Cannon posted:

There aren't any repercussions, it just simulates a Witcher 2 save by allowing you to decide on how some things went down in that game after you leave White Orchard.

I want to know what happens depending upon the choices you make. For example, I saw earlier in this thread someone saying that not killing Letho gives you a new quest.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Call me a Luddite or what have you, but I'm growing bored and annoyed with these never ending Oceans 11 type quests in Novigrad. What the hell does all this have to do with witchers killing monsters? At least the Family Matters quest had one monster in it. This is all intrigue that plays like a CSI detective game.

Bollocks.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Can't believe they actually included a 4 minute musical number in this game, and it was even half decent :stare:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

This thread moves really fast and someone said a dev was posting here. Who is it I'd like to read his posts?

Comte is the only dev I know of.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Call me a Luddite or what have you, but I'm growing bored and annoyed with these never ending Oceans 11 type quests in Novigrad. What the hell does all this have to do with witchers killing monsters? At least the Family Matters quest had one monster in it. This is all intrigue that plays like a CSI detective game.

Bollocks.

Novigrad seems like the weakest of the three areas to me, for what it's worth. Skellige is super-cool and a great change of scenery.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dinosaur Satan posted:

I want to know what happens depending upon the choices you make. For example, I saw earlier in this thread someone saying that not killing Letho gives you a new quest.

This is true, it does. Other than that though? Not much. Roche will show up and you can do some quests for him regardless of who you choose, Triss lives no matter what, and I don't think Iorveth or Saskia play much role in this game, if any. Phillipa's fate changes a bit though. Radovid will pluck out her eyes if you remove the enchantment from Saskia, I believe? Also that dude you can kill or spare at the very opening of The Witcher 2's mom will either like you or hate your depending on what you did there.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Is it safe to sell/destroy contracts you haven't completed yet? I really want to clear out my inventory but don't feel like cross-checking every piece of paper to make sure it's not related to something I haven't done yet. As long as it isn't a map that I haven't read or specifically placed in the quest pouch I'm good to ditch it, right?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

ShadowMar posted:

Turn off the combat log and pretend they're not dead like I did. :kiddo:

Funkmaster General posted:

Is it safe to sell/destroy contracts you haven't completed yet? I really want to clear out my inventory but don't feel like cross-checking every piece of paper to make sure it's not related to something I haven't done yet. As long as it isn't a map that I haven't read or specifically placed in the quest pouch I'm good to ditch it, right?

They are in your witchers contracts list in your quest log. You don't need to keep the papers from the bulletin boards.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

NESguerilla posted:

Don't theyre bad.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Bollocks.

Pretty much the entire premise of the games (and books) is about some 9-to-5 monster hunter getting dragged over his head into a bunch of other people's problems due to circumstances outside his control, often involving him doing wetwork he doesn't care about for assholes he doesn't like.

Like, the second game tells the story of a Witcher who gets roped into playing bodyguard for a king and then trying to clear his name after said king is killed by another Witcher who got roped into being an assassin for an Emperor when both of them would have rather just been out hunting monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I made the mistake of restarting my computer and now it has decided it can't run this game for poo poo. It took a full ten minutes to load when I started it and another three to load the textures on Geralt's model, and then interacting with NPCs just led to them staring at each other for a while and nothing happening.

What the gently caress.