Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Actually looking back at Myststuck ("Act 6 Act 3") and beyond I don't think it started to kind of go off the rails and meander/fireworks-factory-itself until Act 6 Act 5. That was when everything to do with Jake became truly insufferable, would eventually lead into Trickster mode and looooooooong/drawn out ghost bubble shenanigans, and Caliborn taking over the comic which led us to our current Act 6 Act 6 Act 12 Act 3 malarkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

. (Are there Pokemon references? I wouldn't spot them if there were.)

Tavros played fidusspawn, a loose Pokemon analog.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Last Game of Thrones question than I promise I'll stop: did the rape of Sansa happen after they started deviating from the books? Because I read those, and I don't remember Sansa being raped by Ramsay of all people.
They switched Jeyne Poole's plot over to Sansa.

Back to Homestuck: What are the chances that the long-awaited Dirk/Dave conversation actually happens? I'm betting this update turns out to be "no time now, gotta fight."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

They switched Jeyne Poole's plot over to Sansa.

Back to Homestuck: What are the chances that the long-awaited Dirk/Dave conversation actually happens? I'm betting this update turns out to be "no time now, gotta fight."

Well given all the time the comic has spent setting up a theme of characters confronting themselves in a figurative & literal sense, it had better freaking happen.

Like to omit it would be Hussie actually, factually, for-serious trolling his readership.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It will happen in the form of a rap battle interactive flash.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Blackheart posted:

It will happen in the form of a rap battle interactive flash.

Please.

EDIT: Zork was mentioned in this thread, so I am contractually obligated to say that Zork is a fantastic series and also gently caress Spellbreaker's cubes.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

paranoid randroid posted:

I'm beginning to feel that Act 6 is maybe actually pretty good. Not as good as Act 4, perhaps. But pretty good. It's much better when read archivally.

Act Six feels a lot like a second revision of the early parts. Without all the user-driven messing around it gets down to business much faster, plus it has all the previous acts of exposition to work with.

The big problem is that it came along hot on the heels of Cascade, which really felt like it was the beginning of the end of the plot. Lots of spectacular action happened, long running plot threads were coming to a head, big cool power-ups were coming out and then all the momentum just stops so that the story can start all over with new characters.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It doesn't help that Dirk is a worse version of Dave+a bit of Rose, Jake is a worse version of John+a bit of Jane, and Jane is a worse version of Jade+a bit of John. (Roxy and Rose aren't similar enough personality-wise for this comparison to hold for them. Not coincidentally, Roxy is the bets of the Alpha kids.)

Seriously, they fit the same niches, but add relationship drama and mildly less funny interactions, especially since they don't get to have the fantastic chats with the trolls that the normal kids did.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

After Homestuck ends, presumably a couple of years before the heat death of the universe, we need to find the three people who never heard of it, make them read it and see if they notice a pacing issue.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 27, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
There's similarities between the characters to be sure, but I think claiming them to be straight up remixes is a little uncharitable. Dirk is fairly distinct from just being Dave + Rose - he's blunt and aggressive in a way that neither Dave nor Rose are. I'm about 75% serious when I say he's Vriska with self-awareness. Replace her flimsy self-aggrandizement with being very assertive about his own competence and no seriously he has everything under control no seriously hes not arguing with himself in another chat window hes not crazy shut up.

Jake is definitely similar to John, but he's more what people think John's character is than what it really is, if that makes any sense. Jake's the kind of goober who, if you tell him to believe in himself, he will. Because that's how things work in the motion pictures, by jingo. He's completely credulous and generally not a bad guy, but he's also kind of self-absorbed and really not at all prepared to meet all the expectations that pretty much everyone is foisting on him. Because he's mostly just this guy, yknow?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I always thought that Dirk's speech was closer to Rose's than Dave's.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 27, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I always thought that Dirk's speech was closer to Rose's than Dave's.

Roxy agrees with you.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Roxy agrees with you.

drat, if I had revealed that perception of mine before the Lalonde reunion, I would have looked like a true Homestuck haruspex.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hey man, Calliope didn't have anything to do with Vriska coming back. If you really want to blame someone it should be John and Terezi, or more accurately Hussie, but none of the things that led to Vriska's revival had anything to do with Calliope at all.

Also, the Calliope side story resulted in Jade and Jane recounting the changes that occurred in the new alpha, so that was quite important at least. Not that Callie herself ended up doing anything of interest, it was mostly Jade and Jane expositing.

Well, obviously I don' LEGITIMATELY blame her.

Although, I like Calliope as a concept. She's always a sweetheart and endearing as hell, but holy poo poo the plot just screeches to a halt with her and we get nothing resolved. Not even more questions, just a bunch of farting around!

EDIT

quote:

That said, Hussie's putting in gaming references from all eras; the person who misses the text adventure parts may be the one who is cackling hysterically at Pokemon references. (Are there Pokemon references? I wouldn't spot them if there were.)
I think Fiduspawn is about it. And honestly even that's a pretty weak reference as far as references go ("Oh looks it's commercialized cockfighting monsters! This certainly is not a parallel that's been drawn before!")

quote:

I was laughing at all the data structures jokes, and I'm sure those aren't universally accessible either. The one thing we can all unite on is that Dave and Karkat are cute together ... Hussie is a mad genius ... Jane has a great rear end
I can agree with these.

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 27, 2015

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Rose Lalonde posted:

I believe one of the most valuable lessons that comes with growing up is gaining the wisdom that gently informs you when it's time to retire a meme.
Edit: Holy poo poo this update. I think Roxy just forgot about Fefeta.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 28, 2015

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
why is everything always so wonderful

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I called this six months ago when Rose died: http://spacecadetomoly.tumblr.com/post/102169042264/okay-so-i-know-were-all-bummed-that-rose-is

Now she truly is a tentacled therapist.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Jesus christ how horrifying.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Look how ecstatic Terezi is at this ridiculous development.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
ok now lets get Tavrospersprite^3 cracking

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

WAR FOOT posted:

Rosesprite's screams of exsistential dread before she subsumed, Tuvix style into another being and destroyed sure adds to the comedy I think.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

It was foolish of me to believe that we would have been able to hang onto the Main Rose.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ariong posted:

Look how ecstatic Terezi is at this ridiculous development.

Came here to post this. I have seen friendlier sharks.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I called this six months ago when Rose died: http://spacecadetomoly.tumblr.com/post/102169042264/okay-so-i-know-were-all-bummed-that-rose-is

Now she truly is a tentacled therapist.

She is also now a wizard with eldrich god tentacles. :tinfoil:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Came here to post this. I have seen friendlier sharks.

the smell of bubblegum and body horror prevails throughout, and shes okay with that

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Also, if Nepeta comes back via sprite, we can have the world's most terrifying mutli-ghost catgirl going on.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Tuvix style.

WAR FOOT posted:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That was solid gold. I laughed all the way through, and I'm not even outraged at offscreen Dave/Dirk conversation.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think this should be allowed. :stare:

I love Terezi's reaction though.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If Davesprite and Jadesprite are anything to go by, Jasprose will pretty much just be Rose plus meows plus distrust of dogs. On the other hand, Jaspersprite had been around much longer than most sprites, long enough to develop his own personality. We may be looking at a new entity with the memories and traits of both of its parts, a la Fefeta.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm so happy with this update.

So all told, Jaspersprite was Jasper and an octopus plushie, right? And Rosesprite was just a single-prototyped kernel of just rose, which Jaspersprite prototyped with for a jasper/octopus/rose triple-prototyped, two kernel, sprite-squared? That's amaaazing

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That was solid gold. I laughed all the way through, and I'm not even outraged at offscreen Dave/Dirk conversation.

I don't think there WAS a conversation, actually. My money is on the Striders looking at each other in the glasses before promptly buzzing off to parts unknown.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
The last time two kernelsprites were thrown together we got a black hole. I guess these being just sprites circumvents that, though I gotta say regrowing one's legs is probably a plus.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I imagine Dave and Dirk just stared at each other intensely for several minutes before loving off.

Edit: Got mad sniped on that one.

Incidentally:

quote:

JANE: Hi, Roxy's hot double daughter.
The gay singularity continues unabated.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

The last time two kernelsprites were thrown together we got a black hole. I guess these being just sprites circumvents that, though I gotta say regrowing one's legs is probably a plus.
...huh. She's wearing her dreamself clothes.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Magres posted:

I'm so happy with this update.

So all told, Jaspersprite was Jasper and an octopus plushie, right? And Rosesprite was just a single-prototyped kernel of just rose, which Jaspersprite prototyped with for a jasper/octopus/rose triple-prototyped, two kernel, sprite-squared? That's amaaazing

Yes, though they don't have kernels anymore. Hey, maybe this abomination daisy-chain isn't over yet. There's still Tavrosprite and Jake's unprototyped sprite.Tasprosisolsprite^4.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

That's because both were trying to absorb each other simultaneously and it, I dunno, broke physics or something. Jaspersprite is already double-prototyped so he just got absorbed into Rosesprite.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Huh. Her clothes cycle colors similar to Lord English' coat.

Wonder if that'll mean anything down the line.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Burkion posted:

Wonder if that'll mean anything down the line.

Nothing in Homestuck ever means anything down the line ever.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Somebody on Tumblr had the genius insight that if you combine JasperRosesprite^2 and Calliope you may get the equal and opposite power to Caliborn. (scrolled down too fast to save the link.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Magres posted:

So all told, Jaspersprite was Jasper and an octopus plushie, right?

Jaspersprite was made up of Jaspers the cat and the Eldritch Princess plushie.