Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Captain Invictus posted:

Got a link to that thread? It sounds fascinating. I can imagine it can grind you down selling your hard-earned skills for someone's wank material. I remember reading an article a while back that mentioned a dude who commissioned something like 17,000 dollars worth of fetish artwork from a bunch of artists, then revoked all the payments. That must loving suck to not only have to do that, but then lose the payment for it on top of that. I can't for the life of me remember the article name, it was along the lines of "Selling your skills, and your soul", and talked about the darker parts of the deviantart rabbit hole.

I wish I did, because it really was very interesting. Unfortunately, I seem to have taken it off my bookmarks when I finished reading through it and now I can't find it. I think it was an Ask/Tell thread with a title along the lines of "Ask/tell us about doing art commissions." If you have search/archives, you may be able to find it.

As a consolation price, you may enjoy this classic. I thought the commission thread forked off that one, but I couldn't find any links. The thread itself deals with similar types of :wtc: behaviour, though.

(I should also note that while the craziness was the initial draw of said commission thread, my favorite parts were the stories about artists developing amicable relationships, even friendships, with polite weirdos centered around drawing Dragonball characters peeing on each other for money.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Terrorforge posted:

(I should also note that while the craziness was the initial draw of said commission thread, my favorite parts were the stories about artists developing amicable relationships, even friendships, with polite weirdos centered around drawing Dragonball characters peeing on each other for money.)

So the drawings were done for money or the DBZ characters were peeing on each other for money? Because I'd believe either.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

CzarChasm posted:

So the drawings were done for money or the DBZ characters were peeing on each other for money? Because I'd believe either.

Considering the poo poo I've seen from having a bunch of weird artists as friends (stuff they link me, not stuff they do), why can't it be both?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Considering the poo poo I've seen from having a bunch of weird artists as friends (stuff they link me, not stuff they do), why can't it be both?

The darker side of making it rain.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Doesn't that one lady get 25k a week from drawing genderswapped looney toons or whatever

fetish art commissions has to be a ridiculous cash cow.

did you ever find bugs bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hatred comes out on the same day as Splatoon

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I know someone who did an entire graphic novel on commission for a guy, and based on her prices it would have cost him at least tens of thousands of dollars :psyduck:.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

That Hatred/Splatoon art is great

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I am looking forward to playing both of those games and yes that comic owns

Hati
Oct 1, 2004

As for the good news... There is no fucking good news!
So let's rock!

Captain Invictus posted:

Got a link to that thread? It sounds fascinating. I can imagine it can grind you down selling your hard-earned skills for someone's wank material. I remember reading an article a while back that mentioned a dude who commissioned something like 17,000 dollars worth of fetish artwork from a bunch of artists, then revoked all the payments. That must loving suck to not only have to do that, but then lose the payment for it on top of that. I can't for the life of me remember the article name, it was along the lines of "Selling your skills, and your soul", and talked about the darker parts of the deviantart rabbit hole.

I think this is the thread. By the end of it the weirdness had crept into the thread itself, and it got closed. Inspiring though...

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Captain Invictus posted:

Doesn't that one lady get 25k a week from drawing genderswapped looney toons or whatever

If she seriously gets 25k a week that's 1.3 million yearly.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KillerEggplant posted:

You also have to be willing to put up with the particular brand of weirdness that comes with the kind of people who'll spend money on bizarre fetish commissions. It can be good money, but it can also be a little bit soul-destroying. I don't do fetish art, but there's a guy who shows up in my email every couple of years to check hopefully if maybe this time I've changed my mind about drawing a particular one of my personal characters absorbing/consuming his.

I admire his optimism.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Pomp posted:

I admire his optimism.

I'm kind of impressed by his sheer persistence. It's not going to get him the commission, but still, a little impressed.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

For some some reason there's a lot of fans of Regular Show who like drawing a spherical version of this character. It's not even a fetish, and it would make more sense if it were.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr Tastee posted:

For some some reason there's a lot of fans of Regular Show who like drawing a spherical version of this character. It's not even a fetish, and it would make more sense if it were.

No, it's a fetish.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

27k every two weeks and to be fair her patreon stuff is teaching other people to draw.

Sure she does commissioned fetish work but she does have some artistic talent.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Might as well just anthropomorphize the cupcake. No wait, how about your mouse curser huh? Draw up every single one of the children with their own personality and characteristics. Havn't seen fanart about the Owner of the Pizza joint yet? How much more can you milk off this franchise, fandoms!?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Might as well just anthropomorphize the cupcake. No wait, how about your mouse curser huh? Draw up every single one of the children with their own personality and characteristics. Havn't seen fanart about the Owner of the Pizza joint yet? How much more can you milk off this franchise, fandoms!?

You fool... you have tempted forces beyond mortal comprehension. The horrors you have summoned will doom us all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sinners Sandwich posted:

You seem unreasonably mad about some fan art, brah. Do you need to talk about it?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

No wait, how about your mouse curser huh?

http://www.rw-designer.com/cursor-set/five-nights-at-freddy-s-cursors
close enough?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

It's weirdly comforting to know that lovely custom mouse cursor sites still look exactly as bad as they should.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

groverlaus

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Heresiarch posted:

groverlaus

Dammit, stop making me want to spam that PERFECT IN EVERY WAY image!

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Again, I disagree. An inspection is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for couples to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the house than on the owner. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and become licensed inspectors.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mr Tastee posted:

The tag is "well-rounded Eileen", so I'm gonna take a big ol' leap of logic here and assume that it's probably a dumb joke that stemmed from people talking about her in terms of whether or not she's a well-rounded character.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
For twenty-five thousand American dollars a week, you fuckin' bet I'd draw fetish art.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

There's a lot of things wrong with this picture, but I laughed out loud all the same.

This looks like Plague of Gripes.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
It is. His caption was:
"Everything went according to plan? What do you mean, Anju?"

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Can someone explain to me where the anime/manga drawing convention of droopy or downward-pointing elf ears came from? I see it all over the place and it's freaking me out the more that I think about it. It's gross!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Fyadophobic posted:

Can someone explain to me where the anime/manga drawing convention of droopy or downward-pointing elf ears came from? I see it all over the place and it's freaking me out the more that I think about it. It's gross!

I think it's sort of like animal ears, how they perk/droop depending on what's going on. Not sure where it came from, but that's the only explanation in my head that doesn't lead to strange robots dressed up as humans, but not quite right.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Lonely Virgil posted:

Again, I disagree. An inspection is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for couples to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the house than on the owner. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and become licensed inspectors.
This post so didn't get enough love. :golfclap:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Far as I can tell super-long elf ears (rather than, say, Spock ears) as a thing came from Lodoss War. And they did the droopy/wagging ears thing there too.

Because, yeah, animal ears do that.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Fyadophobic posted:

The explanation I've heard is that it's to distinguish them visually from human-looking demons, who already had "pointy ears" established as a tell. That's why they're longer and stick out a bit, and from there, the mood thing just naturally comes as another way to visually cue mood.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I guess this can count as fanart: Ghost girl dances to Moses Supposes. Original song here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Squidward Devouring His Sponge

• Locked thread