Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Binary Logic posted:

But both this show and GoT feature a strong woman with 3 female assistants (Ellaria + 3 Sand Snakes) and so far the Penny Dreadful nightcomers are more entertaining - and dangerous.
And creepy.

They are creepy and they way they're using them is visually effective - but every time they HISSSSSSS I find it a little goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

hepscat posted:

They are creepy and they way they're using them is visually effective - but every time they HISSSSSSS I find it a little goofy.

The hissing and the wigs are pretty atrocious.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

hepscat posted:

What I find goofy with Penny Dreadful is the opening credits that feature a spider, a scorpion, and this:

It's a ball python; I know because I have one as a pet. They're non-venomous, docile, and cute. Far from scary or creepy or dreadful.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Binary Logic posted:

It's a ball python; I know because I have one as a pet. They're non-venomous, docile, and cute. Far from scary or creepy or dreadful.

A person who willingly hand feeds live mice to a snake probably isn't in the best position to determine whether something is "cute."

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Binary Logic posted:

It's a pretty snake that was easy to find and work with, don't think too hard about it.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

A person who willingly hand feeds live mice to a snake probably isn't in the best position to determine whether something is "cute."

Oddly enough I'm a vegetarian. And I only feed it frozen/thawed rats, not live mice.
Were you aghast at the treatment a rabbit got on the episode? Killed and then the hide stripped off it in one pull.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

It's a pretty snake that was easy to find and work with, don't think too hard about it.
How can I not think about it, he sits on the couch beside me while we watch Penny Dreadful ! But that's what I found amusing, you see ball pythons often on tv and in movies because they look good and are laid back.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 21, 2015

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Patti LuPone should just go ahead and make room on her mantle for the best guest star Emmy, because that was an incredible turn.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I loved the chameleon effect.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Penny Dreadful Season 2: The adventures of the perfectly normal human male and the definitely real female cousin

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
As fantastical as this show is, the most unbelievable thing in this episode was the assertion that Billie Piper's bust is larger than Eva Green's.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

qbert posted:

As fantastical as this show is, the most unbelievable thing in this episode was the assertion that Billie Piper's bust is larger than Eva Green's.

Bust takes in account the full circumference of the torso, right? If so, I could see it, Miss Green is slender than Billie Piper. Though I wouldn't being proven wrong.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Lilly is awfully whiny for the reanimated corpse of an Irish whore.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Lilly is awfully whiny for the reanimated corpse of an Irish whore.

New thread title?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The show is a weird mix of stuff that's pretty great and stuff that's just awful. And then sprinkled with stuff that doesn't quite fit, but isn't exactly bad either. It comes from trying to fit all these horror stories together with very different monsters , which is why you have stuff like Gray and Vanessa on one hand, with their themes of the Devil and near Paranormal Activity stuff, and then Frankenstein which is all about just trying to figure out life and the interactions between creator and created. Followed by a gunslinging werewolf and the investigator on his trail.

It means the show goes on a massive rollercoaster ride of quality and tone all through each episode, despite there being a central antagonist and story they're trying to resolve, all their little personal stories interfere at every step. It'd actually fit better if they just made a Twilight Zone thing out of it, but at the same time trying to ram them all together creates a kind of interesting trainwreck that's still somehow, overall, good. Or at the very least interesting to watch unfold.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I find everything with the exception of Dorian to be interesting. Really don't see how they are gonna tie him back into the main plot.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I find everything with the exception of Dorian to be interesting. Really don't see how they are gonna tie him back into the main plot.

I assume he'll get back around to trying to reconnect with Vanessa eventually.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Solice Kirsk posted:

Vanessa has a weakness for Dorian. My guess is that eventually their paths will cross again, one of the witches who's constantly monitoring her will observe it, Mrs. Poole will discover Dorian's 'secret,' and they'll use it against him in exchange for his wearing her down. She doesn't have faith in Mr. Lyle's worth save for him being a decent snitch.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dorian's job is to have sex with every cast member until the end of the series where his sexual experience and prowess is finally called upon to save the day.

He'll need to gently caress the devil

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

Dorian's job is to have sex with every cast member until the end of the series where his sexual experience and prowess is finally called upon to save the day.

Think bigger.

Think God.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Kegslayer posted:

It's like a modern reinterpretation of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" except with dick instead of violins.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
“Undergarments” might just be my new favorite line from any television series ever.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Can every episode have Vanessa and Victor shopping for ladies' undergarments? PLEASE?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mouse Dresser posted:

Can every episode have Vanessa and Victor shopping for ladies' undergarments? PLEASE?

It was just great watching them be giant weirdos out in public. Like constantly living under threat of supernatural violence has left then incapable of normality.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I just got caught up and I am amazed how much better this season has started compared with last. It's goofy, sure, but it owns that well. They handle multiple storylines in a very satisfying manner.

Eva Green is amazing and deserves some nonshit films roles. Josh Hartnett seems to have taken acting lessons; Billie Piper being freed of that accent and Patti Lupone are huge pluses.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Yudo posted:

I just got caught up and I am amazed how much better this season has started compared with last. It's goofy, sure, but it owns that well. They handle multiple storylines in a very satisfying manner.

Eva Green is amazing and deserves some nonshit films roles. Josh Hartnett seems to have taken acting lessons; Billie Piper being freed of that accent and Patti Lupone are huge pluses.

Yeah I really liked this entire episode. The tranquil night at home shattered by Nightcomers was amazing, as all the brave adventurers & protectors of Miss Ives were tossed around by them.

Hard to believe Production set up that entire ping-pong game room and all the extras involved just for The Kiss between Dorian and his new friend, who are so far completely separate from the main storyline.

Also enjoying the man building waxwork tableaux with his complaining wife and blind daughter. That sort of exhibition was quite popular back in Victorian times.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And it sounds like he is setting up a freak show as well. Jack of Trades that one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I am just chiming in to say that I am still watching this show religiously. I wish there was more swashbuckling and gunfighting, but the bald naked women make up for it.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah I really liked this entire episode. The tranquil night at home shattered by Nightcomers was amazing, as all the brave adventurers & protectors of Miss Ives were tossed around by them.

Hard to believe Production set up that entire ping-pong game room and all the extras involved just for The Kiss between Dorian and his new friend, who are so far completely separate from the main storyline.

Also enjoying the man building waxwork tableaux with his complaining wife and blind daughter. That sort of exhibition was quite popular back in Victorian times.

That sheet is amazing, I mean a tableau of a daughter succoring her father, the Turkish slave market, then the REV. JOHN WESLEY. Shockers!

I agree about the ping pong room. I love that they went to that much trouble simply to have Angelique trump Dorian at ping pong. Honestly, I think Angelique is pretty hot and I'm down with this storyline. But I admit it doesn't make any sort of sense to the main story at all.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Seriously, what the gently caress is Dorian still doing there? Unless Angelique is a demon or a witch or hell, someone else with a magic portrait, I have no idea what Dorian still contributes. Also, looking forward to them using the hair to finish the voodoo puppet doll thing with the baby heart. Kinda hope either the flagrantly flamboyant historian cracks and tells Sir Malcolm his honey on the side is a witch or they all go on an epic quest to the cut wife's cabin and there, somehow, they realize the lady is a witch whilst getting the book.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pan Dulce posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is Dorian still doing there? Unless Angelique is a demon or a witch or hell, someone else with a magic portrait, I have no idea what Dorian still contributes. Also, looking forward to them using the hair to finish the voodoo puppet doll thing with the baby heart. Kinda hope either the flagrantly flamboyant historian cracks and tells Sir Malcolm his honey on the side is a witch or they all go on an epic quest to the cut wife's cabin and there, somehow, they realize the lady is a witch whilst getting the book.

Dorian is Vanessa's kryptonite. He's the only individual she knows she can't resist, and when he seduces her, the Devil's able to find a foothold.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Pan Dulce posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is Dorian still doing there?

Though part of me agrees with this, Dorian is not exactly taking up much screen time and if they want to use him in the future they can't exclude him from the entire season.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Dorian is Vanessa's kryptonite. He's the only individual she knows she can't resist, and when he seduces her, the Devil's able to find a foothold.

I think it'd be redundant to bring up that plot point again. She rejected him, point blank. I think he's moving on the way Dorian does, with pretty distractions, and it's kind of following his novel. He feels something, it's novel for a bit, then he moves on to the next exciting adventure until something changes him for the better. I don't think Vanessa is that yet, if ever.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Pan Dulce posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is Dorian still doing there? Unless Angelique is a demon or a witch or hell, someone else with a magic portrait, I have no idea what Dorian still contributes.

Pretty sure the whole point of Angelique is to shock/disturb viewers. The show is called Penny Dreadful, after all.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Irish Joe posted:

Pretty sure the whole point of Angelique is to shock/disturb viewers. The show is called Penny Dreadful, after all.

I HIGHLY doubt this. More likely it's a chance to shine a spotlight and normalize what would be considered an unconventional relationship. The show's creator/head writer is gay, after all, and has done a bunch of interviews on how dealing with his own sexuality has influenced him creatively.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's gotta come back to the main story though. Maybe they'll run into Lily somehow. That could be funny.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's gotta come back to the main story though. Maybe they'll run into Lily somehow. That could be funny.

I think the key link is when Frankenstein rocks up with Billy Piper who both Dorian and Werewolf Josh know to be dead.

They should rewrite Dorian as Raymond Reddington, the concierge for the supernatural armed only with his little black book.

:colbert: Dorian we need to find a Catholic Priest of Persian descent who can also read Sanskrit to take part in our ritual and translate this old scroll for us.

:sparkles: Oh yes, you'll want Father James from Manchester, we met in the summer of 24 on a delightful cruise down the Nile. Not much of a talker but by god that mouth of his could sate you for hours and hours under the African sun.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kegslayer posted:

I think the key link is when Frankenstein rocks up with Billy Piper who both Dorian and Werewolf Josh know to be dead.

They should rewrite Dorian as Raymond Reddington, the concierge for the supernatural armed only with his little black book.

:colbert: Dorian we need to find a Catholic Priest of Persian descent who can also read Sanskrit to take part in our ritual and translate this old scroll for us.

:sparkles: Oh yes, you'll want Father James from Manchester, we met in the summer of 24 on a delightful cruise down the Nile. Not much of a talker but by god that mouth of his could sate you for hours and hours under the African sun.

Someone get this slayer of kegs a writing credit!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
While not explicit in the original story the power of Dorian's portrait could be the result of a deal with the Devil or a witch, which would pull him back into the struggle our heroes are facing.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

While not explicit in the original story the power of Dorian's portrait could be the result of a deal with the Devil or a witch, which would pull him back into the struggle our heroes are facing.

Yeah, that being the original story, and it works well enough within the confines of this one. He hasn't really been defined as either a villain or a hero at this point, just a sort of nice person who's all into experiencing every delight. Which might make him fall later on, as per the stuff it was based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
So nothing happened this week except everyone having awesome sex

• Locked thread