Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

e X posted:

adorably goony Commander who thinks that a 6 days survival trip is totally enough grounds for marriage to a serial rapist who threatens his prisoners with his servants giant dick?

I don't remember that part from the book? Have you perhaps mixed up Vorrutyer and Vorkosigan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I went back to read Shards of Honor after reading The Warriors Apprentice and a few non-Vorkosigan Bujold novels and the thematic and tonal difference was jarring to me too. But yeah, you are definitely mixing up the villain of the novel with the protagonist's love interest.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
No, I do realize that Aral and Vorrutyer are different people. Maybe the wording is off, but I meant to contrast the two parts of the novel.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ah, so it's not "marriage to a serial rapist", it's "from A to B".

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I started reading the Bio of a Space Tyrant books recently (am about half done with Mercenary at the moment) and I kind of feel like they qualify as space opera. The writing style and political mapping is in a very archaic style that makes it read very differently from more modern sci-fi.

There's some gender issue... issues with it (casual misogyny, men are stronger than women, a woman's place is with her man, that sort of thing) that I can't quite tell whether it's the author himself or just the world he's building.

The first book (Refugee) was really bad with the pirates and raping and cannibalism, the second book has been better about that sort of thing so far though...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

I started reading the Bio of a Space Tyrant books recently (am about half done with Mercenary at the moment) and I kind of feel like they qualify as space opera. The writing style and political mapping is in a very archaic style that makes it read very differently from more modern sci-fi.

There's some gender issue... issues with it (casual misogyny, men are stronger than women, a woman's place is with her man, that sort of thing) that I can't quite tell whether it's the author himself or just the world he's building.

The first book (Refugee) was really bad with the pirates and raping and cannibalism, the second book has been better about that sort of thing so far though...

Good ol' Piers.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

Good ol' Piers.

Piers Anthony never changes.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Stop before the pedophilia.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Washout posted:

Stop before the pedophilia.

This means "Stop."

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
I really appreciated that series, but get ready for lengthy infodumps on flat taxation systems, as well as your standard Piers dozens-of-pages argument in favour of reducing age of consent to twelve, and incest.

Also WOOOooo000, MAGIC REALISM at the end of the series.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Things I am amazed Piers Anthony is still allowed to be near:

1. Children
2. The written word
3. Cici's all you can eat pizza buffet (he knows why)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Isolationist posted:

I really appreciated that series, but get ready for lengthy infodumps on flat taxation systems, as well as your standard Piers dozens-of-pages argument in favour of reducing age of consent to twelve, and incest.

Also WOOOooo000, MAGIC REALISM at the end of the series.

That, uhh, seems like a fairly giant 'but' to get past.

"I mean, yeah, a fair chunk of it was a giant screed on how paedophilia is cool and good, but apart from that, it was pretty great!"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

"I mean, yeah, a fair chunk of it was a giant screed on how paedophilia is cool and good, but apart from that, it was pretty great!"

But enough about the internet, ho ho ho

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Khizan posted:

This means "Stop."

Not according to Piers it doesn't

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm slightly disappointed that Gordon Dickson's Dragon knight series hasn't had the wizards go out into space yet.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

e X posted:

No, I do realize that Aral and Vorrutyer are different people. Maybe the wording is off, but I meant to contrast the two parts of the novel.

The whole series is fairly light-hearted I think, but Bujold does like to do these turns sometimes. I don't mind since it adds a little "realism", but there is a particular part way later that I thought was fairly uncomfortable.

That being said, the Vorkosigan Saga is by far my favorite sci-fi series, so if you like the first one, you have lots of books to look forward to.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

According to io9, John Scalzi just signed a 13-book, 10-year deal with Tor, including more Old Man's War and a new, separate space opera series.

http://io9.com/john-scalzi-signs-a-massive-10-year-13-book-publishing-1706919623

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Passage at Arms: Great quick read. And there are a few subplots that I feel might resolve on a close re read. It's sort of amazing that Cook wrote this and The Dragon Never Sleeps so close together, as they're basically on opposite ends of the space opera spectrum, and yet both rule. Maybe he did it on purpose, as an exercise.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

WarLocke posted:

Holy gently caress, the protagonist's name is "Hope Hubris"?

God drat, Piers Anthony. re there any low-hanging jokes that you won't reach for?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

God drat, Piers Anthony. re there any low-hanging jokes that you won't reach for?

He prefers the low hanging kind because that's the only type kids can reach.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

coyo7e posted:

Is it any worse than Neal Stephenson's epic main character in Snow Crash: Hiro Protagonist?

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

XBenedict posted:

Is it any worse than Neal Stephenson's epic main character in Snow Crash: Hiro Protagonist?
Except that the awfulness of Hiro Protagonist was intentional.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

XBenedict posted:

Hiro Protagonist is like, "Main character, the main character." It was a pretty good nod to his competition at that particular point in time, imho. That entire book was written to almost be a parody, long before goony tropes were actually tropes. For all that I'm not a huge an of Stephenson anymore, he really nailed it with that book when it was written.

"Hope Hubris" is like, well, why bother reading? You know what's bound to happen.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

coyo7e posted:

"Hope Hubris" is like, well, why bother reading? You know what's bound to happen.

I... I actually don't get the joke.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kesper North posted:

I... I actually don't get the joke.
Hope - to believe in and (hopefully) strive toward a goal that may seem unreachable.
Hubris - reaching past one's abilities and reaping the consequences.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
The funny thing about "Snow Crash" is that I read it entirely straight, because I didn't know it was supposed to be a parody. Then I read "Hardwired" and I'm like, oh, this is what Snow Crash was making fun of.

disregard_last
Mar 30, 2015
I'm about half way through Iain M. Banks' "Consider Phlebas" and I have to admit it's pretty slow going. It seems like it's simply a series of action packed set pieces with very little meaningful character to character interaction or introspection.

I am, however, really enjoying the world building and so far seems to be the best part. I've read here that the following books in "The Culture" are better so I'll keep pushing through it. Is there better characterization in the following books?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

disregard_last posted:

I'm about half way through Iain M. Banks' "Consider Phlebas" and I have to admit it's pretty slow going. It seems like it's simply a series of action packed set pieces with very little meaningful character to character interaction or introspection.

I am, however, really enjoying the world building and so far seems to be the best part. I've read here that the following books in "The Culture" are better so I'll keep pushing through it. Is there better characterization in the following books?

Yes, absolutely. It's generally said that Player of Games might be a good one to read next, and many even suggest to save Consider Phlebas until a bit later, when you've gotten to know the Culture.

Believe me, you're in for one hell of a ride with Banks.

disregard_last
Mar 30, 2015

Taeke posted:

Yes, absolutely. It's generally said that Player of Games might be a good one to read next, and many even suggest to save Consider Phlebas until a bit later, when you've gotten to know the Culture.

That's a relief. I'll read "Player of Games" after wrapping up this one.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I feel weird because I really liked Consider Phlebas and I don't think Ian Banks ever managed to capture the feel of the non-culture interstellar community other than really backwards worlds or the alien's who were on an equal footing with the culture but smaller for "reasons".

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

disregard_last posted:

That's a relief. I'll read "Player of Games" after wrapping up this one.

Be careful though, if you're not ready to put yourself into the mindset that most of later Culture Novels are giant shaggy dog stories then you might be disappointed.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

coyo7e posted:

Hope - to believe in and (hopefully) strive toward a goal that may seem unreachable.
Hubris - reaching past one's abilities and reaping the consequences.

So it really is just what it looks like on the surface? Man... so lame.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Kesper North posted:

So it really is just what it looks like on the surface? Man... so lame.

That's Piers Anthony for you.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Taeke posted:

I'd say Use of Weapons is a good one to follow Consider Phlebas with as well (that's what I did). Sure, it's a bit difficult at first to read, but once you get how the timelines in the story work everything starts to click and god drat does it end amazingly.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Miss-Bomarc posted:

The funny thing about "Snow Crash" is that I read it entirely straight, because I didn't know it was supposed to be a parody. Then I read "Hardwired" and I'm like, oh, this is what Snow Crash was making fun of.
I got Snow Crash inside a computer game box (SPECTRE) when I was like 12. It was the coolest poo poo ever. Neuromancer was pretty good after that, but I already could see what Stephenson had been poking fun of in spots.

Groke posted:

That's Piers Anthony for you.
It's funny because Pratchett does the same thing where he just thinks up one good joke/premise and then whips it into an entire novel or series.

Maybe it's that Pratchett's actually funny?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 27, 2015

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

BadOptics posted:

I'd say Use of Weapons is a good one to follow Consider Phlebas with as well (that's what I did). Sure, it's a bit difficult at first to read, but once you get how the timelines in the story work everything starts to click and god drat does it end amazingly.

I did the same thing, but I definitely enjoyed Use of Weapons (and Consider Phlebas for that matter) more on a reread after I had gotten to know the Culture better.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I love when lovely sci fi authors go on teary rants about how when they advocate for monarchy/pedophilia/objectivism/white supremacy in repeated books, it doesn't mean they actually believe in such things.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spazzle posted:

I love when lovely sci fi authors go on teary rants about how when they advocate for monarchy/pedophilia/objectivism/white supremacy in repeated books, it doesn't mean they actually believe in such things.

All I'm saying is I'd rather be a white wizard than a black sorcerer, you know?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

BadOptics posted:

Excession is probably the closest to a conventional space opera. It's got weird alien macguffins and space battles and everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

coyo7e posted:

That entire book was written to almost be a parody, long before goony tropes were actually tropes. For all that I'm not a huge an of Stephenson anymore, he really nailed it with that book when it was written.

My favorite description of Snow Crash came from a poster in the Neal Stephenson thread. "A parody of dumb nerd poo poo, while also being the dumbest of nerd poo poo."

• Locked thread