Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

to get a sense of the drama that would entail, check out what happened when Kasparov made his own chess federation because FIDE is almost as bad as FIFA

and that was chess, the least passionate activity this side of literal nit picking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Some dumb poo poo I know claims that since FIFA is a private company it can claim all this is legit business and get away with it (Guy's a 1000% cynic, still bitches though). I feel that his poo poo is dumb, but know gently caress all about how orgs like FIFA are treated.

Assuming this isn't done the Russian way is there any way they could get out of this? Are they bound by international law wrt bribes, etc?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

School Nickname posted:

Some dumb poo poo I know claims that since FIFA is a private company it can claim all this is legit business and get away with it (Guy's a 1000% cynic, still bitches though). I feel that his poo poo is dumb, but know gently caress all about how orgs like FIFA are treated.

Assuming this isn't done the Russian way is there any way they could get out of this? Are they bound by international law wrt bribes, etc?

The justice dept. lawyers are not dudes in a bar. Federal prosecutors have a 93% conviction rate, and are promoted based on conviction rate. They don't bring charges unless they already have every single i dotted and t crossed.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Yeah, this isn't like when the SEC files a civil suit against a company and it gets dragged out and eventually there's a meager settlement to make it go away. If the DOJ is filing charges you are fuuuuuuuucked.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, this isn't like when the SEC files a civil suit against a company. If the DOJ is filing charges you are fuuuuuuuucked.

Yeah but these aren't just any defendants. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of these settled with large fines and no jail time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Another element here is that these are Europeans facing american jail sentences. Criminal, not civil. They'll plead out but even their pleas will be more severe sentences than anything they would face in Europe.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
With the DOJ 93% conviction number what percentage of the cases are from relatively small time people who have no chance against the federal prosecutors versus the conviction rate against the super-rich?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So who besides Barry Bonds beat the charges in the recent spat of DOJ sports crimes they seem to love to prosecute?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
^^^ bonds only won on appeal, the DOJ won the first case at least

Bip Roberts posted:

With the DOJ 93% conviction number what percentage of the cases are from relatively small time people who have no chance against the federal prosecutors versus the conviction rate against the super-rich?

The higher up you go the higher the conviction rate because no one wants to bungle a high profile case.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 28, 2015

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

So who besides Barry Bonds beat the charges in the recent spat of DOJ sports crimes they seem to love to prosecute?

Roger Clemens

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Imagine if half the NFL took their ball and left, stopped playing against the other half, and also couldn't be on TV.

America would loving riot.

NOTE: I have no idea which specific TV rights FIFA owns, but I imagine it's incredibly complex.

They'd still be able to play football, using NFL rules, but they just couldn't call themselves the NFL. Like the NFC could absolutely split from the NFL and continue to play each other, and negotiate their own broadcast rights etc. The NFL couldn't do poo poo (except sue for breech of contract) but if the DoJ currently had them over a barrel, I don't think that case is going anywhere anytime soon.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Bip Roberts posted:

With the DOJ conviction number what percentage of the cases are from relatively small time people who have no chance against the federal prosecutors versus the conviction rate against the super-rich?

Fairly high since the DOJ only goes after small fish to get the big fish. Also, RICO is specifically constructed to nail the balls of the very rich, powerful, and connected to the wall with the only time anyone really escaped a RICO charge being John Gotti via jury tampering in 87.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Fairly high since the DOJ only goes after small fish to get the big fish. Also, RICO is specifically constructed to nail the balls of the very rich, powerful, and connected to the wall with the only time anyone really escaped a RICO charge being John Gotti via jury tampering in 87.

Hell's Angels in the early 80's was also a pretty spectacularly failed prosecution.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/02/26/us/prosecution-of-hells-angels-is-dropped-after-2d-mistrial.html

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 28, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Hell's Angels in the early 80's was also a pretty spectacularly failed prosecution.

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/02/26/us/prosecution-of-hells-angels-is-dropped-after-2d-mistrial.html

Well yeah, but that case was laughably inept.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Well yeah, but that case was laughably inept.

Hopefully FIFA's ineptitude isn't contagious.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Xandu posted:

Yeah but these aren't just any defendants. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of these settled with large fines and no jail time.

Let's put it this way, actual American police departments have been convicted under RICO, if they can't expect to beat the charge, no one really can. These guys probably have the best lawyers in the world on speed dial and at least 4 of them have already plead guilty

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm obscenely pleased that the United States is helping solve a problem for the world in a manner that doesn't involve dropping bombs on something. :allears:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

mikemil828 posted:

Let's put it this way, actual American police departments have been convicted under RICO, if they can't expect to beat the charge, no one really can. These guys probably have the best lawyers in the world on speed dial and at least 4 of them have already plead guilty

Pled guilty and got fined. We'll see, I don't doubt the government's capabilities here, just not sure how far it wants to go in making an example of them.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Xandu posted:

Pled guilty and got fined. We'll see, I don't doubt the government's capabilities here, just not sure how far it wants to go in making an example of them.

It's Lynch's first case as AG, anything less than the public crucifixion of Blatter would surprise me.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
No way in hell Loretta Lynch is going after FIFA, one of the most powerful organizations in the world, as her first major action as AG to just fine some people. FIFA can afford the best lawyers in the world, but the DOJ ain't gonna roll over and they're probably very much secure in their ability to get convictions/plea deals with serious punishment (remember they already have some).

Are there any precedents for such sprawling criminal cases?

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Xandu posted:

Didn't Raymond Casomayor get sentenced to 30 years?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's Lynch's first case as AG, anything less than the public crucifixion of Blatter would surprise me.

The world will agree that the sport is called soccer, and that the World Champions of the Super Bowl must receive a congratulatory call to the MVP's personal cell phone from every country's Head of State upon winning.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Gyges posted:

The world will agree that the sport is called soccer, and that the World Champions of the Super Bowl must receive a congratulatory call to the MVP's personal cell phone from every country's Head of State upon winning.

Entire world agrees not to laugh when she offers to throw out the first pitch at next World Cup.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Gyges posted:

It would be fun to see some kind of crazy sovereign citizen style gambit whereby FIFA officials try to get the lawsuits thrown out due to court documents referring to the game as "soccer" rather than "football."

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
It's worth noting that this investigation appears to have been conducted out of the Eastern District of New York's U.S. Attorney's Office, during the tenure of U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch.

EDNY is also where all the organized crime cases are tried - they have probably the best OC unit in the country, which comes in handy when prosecuting under RICO.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Are there any precedents for such sprawling criminal cases?

Literally the mafia.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

farraday posted:

Entire world agrees not to laugh when she offers to throw out the first pitch at next World Cup.
All countries must allocate one player of US choosing to the US national team.

computer parts posted:

Literally the mafia.
As sprawling and international as this? Yeah, I know RICO is for organized crime, but FIFA is really a much, much bigger fish than even the most powerful criminal organizations.

Well, the most powerful non-FIFA criminal organizations :v:

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 28, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

As sprawling and international as this? Yeah, I know RICO is for organized crime, but FIFA is really a much, much bigger fish than even the most powerful criminal organizations.

From what I gather the Mafia tries real hard to cover up their graft. It doesn't sound like FIFA tried very hard at all.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah, but the DoJ doesn't care about FIFA's influence now. FIFA is dealing with an enemy that it can't bribe, ignore, or threaten. It functions according to rules that FIFA doesn't know how to play by. All the prosecutors care about is that, now that they've announced things, either they must come back with Blatter's head or commit ritual mass suicide in front of the Shogun/American Public. Short of nuclear war, they're not going to stop going after FIFA.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

When it comes to the resources the DOJ can throw at a case no one can match them.

It is part of their strategy to bury the opposition in paperwork. During discovery they'll turn over tens of thousands of pages of documents. The defendants usually can't afford the cost to have their legal team go through that much paperwork, even if they are worth millions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xae posted:

When it comes to the resources the DOJ can throw at a case no one can match them.

It is part of their strategy to bury the opposition in paperwork. During discovery they'll turn over tens of thousands of pages of documents. The defendants usually can't afford the cost to have their legal team go through that much paperwork, even if they are worth millions.

I think the world reaction is going to help the DOJ prosecute this thing as hard as they can. People worldwide seem to be absolutely loving the US taking on FIFA, and we do like positive international attention. Not to mention that Loretta Lynch knows she'll go down in the history books if she pulls this off.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xae posted:

Tens of thousands of pages is not a lot for a case.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

evilweasel posted:

Tens of thousands of pages is not a lot for a case.

Don't be pedantic, people outside the law would have no idea that millions of documents have to be assessed in the most significant cases. To normal people 10000 is a lot.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lid posted:

Don't be pedantic, people outside the law would have no idea that millions of documents have to be assessed in the most significant cases. To normal people 10000 is a lot.

How much space does a million pages take up?!? Seems like it would be the size of a small room at least.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

quote:

The Asian Football Confederation says it still supports Sepp Blatter's bid for another term as FIFA president, and opposes any move to delay Friday's scheduled elections in the wake of a string of corruption arrests of some of the federation's top officials.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/8d06e110739f4942bcfc3a988dec76ba/soccer-world-shocked-fifa-raids

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

mdemone posted:

How much space does a million pages take up?!? Seems like it would be the size of a small room at least.

A printer paper box contains 10 reams of paper at 500 pages a ream. At that level of density you'd need 200 of them.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

It's worth noting that this investigation appears to have been conducted out of the Eastern District of New York's U.S. Attorney's Office, during the tenure of U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch.

EDNY is also where all the organized crime cases are tried - they have probably the best OC unit in the country, which comes in handy when prosecuting under RICO.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/2468775/fifa-corrupt-over-24-years-says-us-department-of-justice

Apparently this investigation has been gathering evidence for 24 years

Blatter is so hosed

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 28, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The DOJ is going to hold FIFA down and gently caress them into obscurity, and then spearhead the launch of a new International Football organization, with the European countries who played ball the most (so far Switzerland) being given free reign to set it up.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mdemone posted:

My brother-in-law used to work as a corporate lawyer. His firm would defend big companies like Best Buy (back in 2010).

His entire office was just filled with cardboard boxes filled with documents to review whenever there was a case happening. It wasn't a small office, either. And he was just one dude on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

This is going to be incredible. :allears:

• Locked thread