Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

I feel like Gwent must be really confusing to actual people in the world. Who is Milva and why is she a 10 damage card? Oh she's really important she helped Geralt save Ciri from Stygg castle. The fucks a 'Geralt?'

Why does saskias card say sassenthesis. And how come the the king of the wild hunt had an actual name on his card.

Gwent is bullshit because I can't make a deck out of my collector sex cards from the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Manatee Cannon posted:

Radovid will pluck out her eyes if you remove the enchantment from Saskia, I believe?

This isn't true. TW2 spoilers She's arrested by the Redanians on both paths, you just happen to witness it in Iorveth's path.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PirateBob posted:

Can't believe they actually included a 4 minute musical number in this game, and it was even half decent :stare:

I was beyond excited until I realized what you were talking about. Zzz. I was hoping you were talking some quest where Geralt and Co burst into song with choreographed dancing and everything. So thanks NIGHT RUINED

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWeWR-Pa0EM

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Once you craft bombs/potions/oils in the alchemy screen and those items are automatically created anytime you meditate, does it use resources to create those items or no? I'm scared to use my bombs in combat in case of monter nests.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rizuhbull posted:

Once you craft bombs/potions/oils in the alchemy screen and those items are automatically created anytime you meditate, does it use resources to create those items or no? I'm scared to use my bombs in combat in case of monter nests.

It uses alcohol and that's it. Alcohest goes first, then anything else you might have.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Is there some reason I have to witch the Dandelion intro video every time I reload a save? It is super obnoxious.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Has anyone found a Golem Heart? And if so, where? I've only seen two golems so far (one in the main quest and one in some random cave), and neither dropped a heart.

BitterAvatar posted:

Is there some reason I have to witch the Dandelion intro video every time I reload a save? It is super obnoxious.

It masks the area loading times. If you keep pressing the skip button (space by default) it will cut it short once the background loading is finished.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

BitterAvatar posted:

Just hammer on spacebar or whatever button it is on controllers to skip scenes and itll skip eventually, also the recap doesnt happen if you reload last save after you die.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015
I recently started The Witcher 1 again, because I never did finish it.

My plan is to play the series all in chronological order (1, 2, 3). Or should I just skip the first 2 and play the 3rd one?

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

janssendalt posted:

My plan is to play the series all in chronological order (1, 2, 3). Or should I just skip the first 2 and play the 3rd one?

They get better as they progress, with the earlier ones having a larger number of annoyances. The first one being by far the hardest to get into. There's a lot of carry-over from the second game into this one and it's a massive step-up from the first game, so you should probably at least play that.

That said, all three are good so you may as well try out the first as well to see whether or not it annoys you.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Offkorn posted:

Has anyone found a Golem Heart? And if so, where? I've only seen two golems so far (one in the main quest and one in some random cave), and neither dropped a heart.

It's just a random drop and I don't think there are a lot of golems around so you need to get lucky. I got one from the golem in Phillipa's lair.

I think the level of enemies effects the kind of parts you get from them, so the one in the main quest might never drop one while Phillipa's always does, or has a better chance to. But idk.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So, what all cuts off when I start the Ugly Baby quest? One quest auto failed so I reloaded and did it, but now I'm not sure if I want to continue yet.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anybody know where to find petris philter? Please assist.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

I feel like Gwent must be really confusing to actual people in the world. Who is Milva and why is she a 10 damage card? Oh she's really important she helped Geralt save Ciri from Stygg castle. The fucks a 'Geralt?'

Why does saskias card say sassenthesis. And how come the the king of the wild hunt had an actual name on his card.
Well Geralt is actually a reasonably famous person when people bother to ask for his name instead of just trying to start poo poo, as are all the leaders (though yes, how the gently caress does anyone know the King of the Wild Hunt's name). More confusing is that all the major characters in Gwent are related to the main characters of the series directly in some fashion or other.

Though Gwent could've just been invented by one of Geralt's many friends!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Don't probe too deeply into Gwent. It's a card game in the Witcher Universe for the witcher to play until it doesn't make sense, that's when it becomes a card game in a video game for you to play.

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

Manatee Cannon posted:

This is true, it does. Other than that though? Not much. Roche will show up and you can do some quests for him regardless of who you choose, Triss lives no matter what, and I don't think Iorveth or Saskia play much role in this game, if any. Phillipa's fate changes a bit though. Radovid will pluck out her eyes if you remove the enchantment from Saskia, I believe? Also that dude you can kill or spare at the very opening of The Witcher 2's mom will either like you or hate your depending on what you did there.

Okay great, thanks for the help.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Novigrad seems like the weakest of the three areas to me, for what it's worth. Skellige is super-cool and a great change of scenery.

Maybe I'm weird but I liked Novigrad more than Skellige. I really enjoyed the change of pace and dealing with the monster that is humanity for a while. Plus it has less pointless sailing.

Velen is clearly the most developed and interesting zone, however.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I was wandering around doing a quest when I saw a guy with an ! on the map under attack from witch hunters. I saved him and he gave me a key with no explanation. Anyone know what it's for?

edit: this was in novigrad

Sankis fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 28, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

janssendalt posted:

I recently started The Witcher 1 again, because I never did finish it.

Definitely play the first two beforehand if you can; it's nice appreciating the improvements between them and they're all at least fairly dece

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How the f*rt do I beat this f*rting Wild Hunt guy, Nilfer or whatever his name is. His axe swings are way too wide to dodge and he always attacks right after I get close. Does Spectre Oil have any affect?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Just had another amazing moment - got to the end of Cardinal Sins, and caught the serial killer. I was pretty ready to off his rear end after what he did to Priscilla, so it was a pretty awesome moment when he came at me with the poker, and the RNG tossed me an auto-execute on him. Pretty smooth movement from Geralt growling at him to "try it, rear end in a top hat", he rushes me, Geralt hamstrings him and comes around for the beheading.

It was a real "not in my town, motherfucker" moment.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

In the quest with Zoltan where you get him some Gwent cards:

Zolan's friend: What would a Witcher use for a fishing lure?

Geralt: Bombs

Zoltan: Heh... not funny, Geralt

LATER

Geralt: What do you use as a lure?

Lambert: Bombs

VINDICATION

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

Just had another amazing moment - got to the end of Cardinal Sins, and caught the serial killer. I was pretty ready to off his rear end after what he did to Priscilla, so it was a pretty awesome moment when he came at me with the poker, and the RNG tossed me an auto-execute on him. Pretty smooth movement from Geralt growling at him to "try it, rear end in a top hat", he rushes me, Geralt hamstrings him and comes around for the beheading.

I'm pretty level headed about these things, so I dunno how it happened but emotions were high and I too just killed him without letting him say anything. And well. . . I got fooled. Good job with the pacing for that quest.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

You got duped.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Jesus gently caress the Crones :barf:
I killed the spirit in the tree, please tell me they didn't kill that little godling guy

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

VanillaGorilla posted:

Good job letting the real killer escape.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Please tell me Geralt makes good on his promise to kill (Velen spoilers) the Crones.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Infinity Gaia posted:

Maybe I'm weird but I liked Novigrad more than Skellige. I really enjoyed the change of pace and dealing with the monster that is humanity for a while. Plus it has less pointless sailing.

Velen is clearly the most developed and interesting zone, however.

I have done no sailing whatsoever in Skellige. You can get fast travel points on all the (important) islands by using maps from vendors. Even the one where everyone was killed by a giant!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
This has probably been said a million times but god drat. The beginning of Act 2 is the coolest thing I've seen in a game. Completely annihilates everything in DA:I.

Weissritter posted:

You got duped.

Not necessarily, I killed both.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Manatee Cannon posted:

Because the fist fight takes place during the feast but before the bears. You missed out on a quest by not noticing the exclamation mark on the minimap.

You mean the feast for Bran's wake? I did a fist fight there. There was no Hjarlmar. In the feast where the bears were I didn't see any exclamation points and I scoured the room before I went on.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh to both of these :stare:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you guys weren't aware of the backstory, Radovid is in his early 20s at most. A lot of his *raargh I'm an insane tyrant and I hate witches* is from growing up in the palace with his dolt of a father who was totally dominated by his sorceress advisor. It didn't help that Philippa Eilhart treated teenage Radovid like dirt even though he was the crown prince. So, he grew up despising his father for being a weak king and despising sorceresses for bullying him.

Come to think of it Philippa Eilhart is dumb. When you meet her in the Witcher 2 she makes a ton of bad choices and it's not surprising that she would make a lifelong enemy out of the future ruler of 1/4 of the North for no particular reason.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 28, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Witcher 3: Medieval Peasant Misery and Daddy Issues Simulator

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Please tell me Geralt makes good on his promise to kill (Velen spoilers) the Crones.

I really hope so. Was waiting for the cutscene to end and those freaks just walked away.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Calaveron posted:

Jesus gently caress the Crones :barf:
I killed the spirit in the tree, please tell me they didn't kill that little godling guy

well I let the spirit live and found the godling kid hiding nearby so if you don't see him, probably. PM me if you want to know the big difference between killing the spirit and letting it live.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress This Shrieker

feel like I'm playing Bloodborne here

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Skellige is a breath of fresh air :)

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
I keep getting Dialogs that offer me to use Delusion but at Lvl 2... how do you level up the Signs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I just met Bart. I like Bart. Bart likes rocks.