Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Minrad posted:

it's a charity event. if you feel like playing a patch that makes the game more fun is 'bad' or 'against the rules' or whatever, then donate to charity as penance.

20 more zerks to the zerking pool :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What does the Fiesta State Mod do?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nihilarian posted:

Unlocks all jobs from the start of the game (mostly for what we assume Chaos will be) and has a special surprise at the end.

Other than that, no mechanical changes.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i like how for the last three years i've been saying that they should put in a mode where you'd get a pool of every job at every crystal and everyone was pooh-poohing it because you'd need a mod. look at us now

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Nihilarian posted:

Embodies the spirit of the season.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The infographic mentions 10 players had 3 Berserkers and beat the game, but none of us beat Omega or Shinryu. Is there even a possible setup where a 3 Berserker Fiesta team can beat those bosses?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mango sentinel posted:

The infographic mentions 10 players had 3 Berserkers and beat the game, but none of us beat Omega or Shinryu. Is there even a possible setup where a 3 Berserker Fiesta team can beat those bosses?

For Shinryu, sure, it's just tedious as poo poo to keep trying over and over again and really depends on which Wind job you got if you're going to not want to die before it's done.

For Omega, I doubt it since his 95% evade and 190 defense just make !Fight worthless and the counterattack rips through the dum-dums.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

mango sentinel posted:

White Mage. Berserk Shinryu and keep up Blinks and Cures.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

For Shinryu, sure, it's just tedious as poo poo to keep trying over and over again and really depends on which Wind job you got if you're going to not want to die before it's done.

For Omega, I doubt it since his 95% evade and 190 defense just make !Fight worthless and the counterattack rips through the dum-dums.

whm/zerk/zerk/zerk should be able to handle it if you put mirage vests on everyone and land the initial berserk on shinryu. as long as you can start getting blink up before the white mage drops you should be good to go

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dr pepper gets it

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I had a Blue Mage. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

White/3Zerk could do it easily, Trasson did it with Knight/3Zerk in 2012.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Unlocks all jobs from the start of the game (mostly for what we assume Chaos will be) and has a special surprise at the end.

hmmm. I must have hosed up somewhere because I didn't start off with any jobs. I'll have to redownload it later.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nihilarian posted:

hmmm. I must have hosed up somewhere because I didn't start off with any jobs. I'll have to redownload it later.

I think they actually open at the Wind Crystal, when you would get the first jobs anyhow.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

If you already have a save then yeah, it updates the next time you'd gain jobs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
gently caress Atomos.

Also, I really should have grinded for Chemist ingredients.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm practicing since this is my first actual playthrough of the game and my first job was Black Mage. I broke my Ice Rod to kill Garula (was down to only Lenna and one more hit would have killed her), should I have saved it? Then I got Mystic Knight as my next job so I guess that's good.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OzFactor posted:

I'm practicing since this is my first actual playthrough of the game and my first job was Black Mage. I broke my Ice Rod to kill Garula (was down to only Lenna and one more hit would have killed her), should I have saved it? Then I got Mystic Knight as my next job so I guess that's good.

Nah, you can buy them in Karnak, which is your next stop anyways.

For future runs, you can also farm Flame Rods (the fire-based equivalent) from the Ricard Mages that most commonly show up a floor above the save point in Walse Tower.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Someone make the all class unlock mod for the SNES version so I can do chaos without having to use freelancers. God bless.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

I'm assuming the rate of growth is going to continue at least to some extent. Last year we already pushed into a few triple berserker teams so if people end up donating even more this year then then we'll have more.

I mean, last year we may have peaked but I'm doubtful that 11 grand is the upper end of where this event can get.

Last year 10 days in there was only enough berserkers for half the people who registered for it but someone donated several thousand dollars and that bumped it up so everyone could get one. People pledge and donate after, but it's the pre-donations that matter for berserker's risk.

Schwartzcough posted:

Or if you actually want the Elf Mantle from the Walse Castle Basement and don't abuse quicksaves.

I try for this every single time, no matter how long it takes. I abuse quicksaves though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Prism posted:

I think they actually open at the Wind Crystal, when you would get the first jobs anyhow.
Nah, the reason I asked is because I got the wind crystal and only got the usual classes from it. I dun goofed.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Countblanc posted:

Someone make the all class unlock mod for the SNES version so I can do chaos without having to use freelancers. God bless.

The SNES version still has freelancers though? :psyduck:

E: wait nevermind, just realised you meant pre-wind crystal. :doh:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

AlphaKretin posted:

The SNES version still has freelancers though? :psyduck:

E: wait nevermind, just realised you meant pre-wind crystal. :doh:

Actually, they're assuming Chaos mode can assign you any job for any Crystal. So if you get Samurai for the Wind crystal, you're stuck using Freelancers until at least the Water Crystal. If you got Dancer at the Water Crystal, you'd be stuck using Freelancers until the Fire crystal. etc.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Golden Goat posted:

Is it better to use !blue on a mystic knight for the increased magic or would rapidfire work better with spellblade?

Rapidfire with Flare Blade will easily be better and rapid fire +ga blade against an elemental weakness will destroy bosses.

Dr Pepper posted:

Brave Blade isn't actually particularly tedious, especially since if you're doing one you have Knight, which can pretty easily shred 90% of Random Encounters.

And pretty much everyone's playing on an emulator, or iOS, so they have frame skip or autobattle.

Countblanc posted:

Use the GBA version with the SNES music/graphics patch if the unlock thing only exists for the GBA version? Using freelancers early on is fine though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Is it better to use !blue on a mystic knight for the increased magic or would rapidfire work better with spellblade?

Magic doesn't do anything for mystic knights other than give them more MP. The way spellblades work is if the enemy is weak to the spell's element, it ignores defense and does 2x, 3x, or 4x normal weapon damage damage based on the power of the spell.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Use the GBA version with the SNES music/graphics patch if the unlock thing only exists for the GBA version? Using freelancers early on is fine though.

I play co-op with a friend of mine for the FJF and the GBA version doesn't have that unless a patch exists or something

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fister Roboto posted:

Magic doesn't do anything for mystic knights other than give them more MP. The way spellblades work is if the enemy is weak to the spell's element, it ignores defense and does 2x, 3x, or 4x normal weapon damage damage based on the power of the spell.

Not only that, but some spellblade attacks are one-hit kills against enemies that aren't immune to instant death (like some bosses...).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ultrafilter posted:

Not only that, but some spellblade attacks are one-hit kills against enemies that aren't immune to instant death (like some bosses...).

-aga spellblade is instakill on enemies with corresponding elemental weakness and no Heavy flag.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Countblanc posted:

I play co-op with a friend of mine for the FJF and the GBA version doesn't have that unless a patch exists or something

You could probably just use a game genie code to unlock all the jobs or something?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Poque posted:

-aga spellblade is instakill on enemies with corresponding elemental weakness and no Heavy flag.

Bio and Holy as well.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

And Break Blade inflicts Petrify with 100% chance, so it might as well be instant death.

Flare Blade just makes your attacks ignore defense and gives you +100 attack power. It's nice but if you're hitting a weakness it's suboptimal.

EDIT:

Kyrosiris posted:

Does that 'special surprise' mess up registering a victory? I don't want to get into the Fiesta spirit and then get dq'd because I'm using a romhack, even if that romhack is essentially just a new coat of paint on the game.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 28, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This sounds nice, but there are only nine enemies in the entire game with a poison weakness. Good luck finding them!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

Does that 'special surprise' mess up registering a victory? I don't want to get into the Fiesta spirit and then get dq'd because I'm using a romhack, even if that romhack is essentially just a new coat of paint on the game.

That... I actually don't know. I may poke RK and see what he says.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
A Raving Loon submitted a ~*~FIESTA~*~ victory screen last year, so he should know.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Can Of Worms posted:

A Raving Loon submitted a ~*~FIESTA~*~ victory screen last year, so he should know.

[00:08:13] <~Kyrosiris> oh hey question
[00:08:23] <~Kyrosiris> did RK give you poo poo for submitting a victory snap with fiesta mod
[00:08:29] <A_Raving_Loon> nope
[00:08:32] <~Kyrosiris> kk

there you go :yayclod:

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Won that practice run. Ended up around Level 37.

Equip Bow with the Artemis Bow was pretty useful on a Dancer through the Rift for both survivability and because it's quite strong. Mystic Knight with !Rapidfire is downright broken. Ranger is pretty good on its own and was a steady source of damage. I used Lenna with the Yoichi Bow since it seemed better with !Rapidfire. Blue Mage sorta tapered off as far as damage goes, but White Wind and Mighty Guard was invaluable.

Yeah, this was a very easy kill. I'm ready for the actual Fiesta in a few days.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I'm really looking forward to participating as not only a first timer, but a first FFV timer too.

Question: what prevents someone from cheating their way through? I assume it's mostly a case of "don't cheat in the spirit of charity" otherwise your a massive rear end in a top hat kinda thing right?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

StarMinstrel posted:

I'm really looking forward to participating as not only a first timer, but a first FFV timer too.

Question: what prevents someone from cheating their way through? I assume it's mostly a case of "don't cheat in the spirit of charity" otherwise your a massive rear end in a top hat kinda thing right?

Partially, but also people do the fiesta because they enjoy the challenge of trying the game new ways. No reason to cheat if it is the entire reason you are playing the game.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's also why we all secretly hope for really difficult combinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Asiina posted:

Partially, but also people do the fiesta because they enjoy the challenge of trying the game new ways. No reason to cheat if it is the entire reason you are playing the game.

That's what I thought ^-^ There's no point really to pay for charity and then cheat your way through a challenge your making for yourself, otherwise what's the point. I was just curious because of all the patch talk and such.

/edit
In normal mode, is it possible to get the same job twice or thrice?

• Locked thread