Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Guards! Guards! is the best of the earliest and the best starting point, but few would say it's the best Discworld book. I'd classify the stages like this:

1-3: Finding his feet
4-13: Getting into the groove
14 (Lords and Ladies) - 18 (Maskerade): Really, really great books (Soul Music is a bit of a throwback though)
19 (Feet of Clay) onwards: The Golden Age, which in my opinion peaks with 29, Night Watch, and then begins to slowly tail off

I don't think anybody would dispute that the books which really won him the literature pedigree were the ones that came from the late teens onwards. But you can't start with those because they're all halfway through character and story arcs.

I really think the best introduction to the series is to begin with the Watch arc and read the first three books in it: Guards Guards, Men at Arms, and Feet of Clay. If you still aren't hooked after finishing Feet of Clay, you aren't ever going to be.

If, on the other hand, you read Guards Guards and absolutely love it, then hang around the earlier books and try to read in sequence, because there are rewards to be had by doing that, i.e. reading City Watch cameos in other books back when they're still a four-man joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I started reading the books from the beginning, and liked them from the start, but the first to really blow me away was Mort.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Mort was definitely something of a turning point. Arguably Discworld started to change from "just a parody of fantasy tropes" to a more realized world in Equal Rites, but Mort is the first book where we really start exploring that world.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

At the risk of being self-aggrandising:

Trin Tragula posted:

I think the best entry point depends entirely on who's asking for it.

If they like cop stories and whodunits at all (and a lot of people do), then yes, the Watch is a great place to start them off. But then there are people who read a great deal of trashy fantasy, and if someone like that comes along then you better bet I'm giving them The Colour of Magic. If it's someone who reads a lot of YA, then it might be Tiffany Aching or I might get them to read about Johnny Maxwell first. Someone who looks for strong female protagonists would be all over the Witches. I'd give a film buff Moving Pictures, a music nerd Soul Music, and a divinity student Small Gods.

If I'd started with e.g. Mort, or Guards! Guards!, I may never have read another one, but Jingo was exactly what I needed to help me get what Discworld was all about.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

idonotlikepeas posted:

Mort was definitely something of a turning point. Arguably Discworld started to change from "just a parody of fantasy tropes" to a more realized world in Equal Rites, but Mort is the first book where we really start exploring that world.

My wife couldn’t get more than a couple pages into Colour, but she had seen and enjoyed the BBC Hogswatch thing so I recommended she start with Mort. It was a Good Idea.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

At the risk of being self-aggrandising:

If I'd started with e.g. Mort, or Guards! Guards!, I may never have read another one, but Jingo was exactly what I needed to help me get what Discworld was all about.

After all the obituary praise, I read my first Pratchett novel. It was Mort, which I liked but didn't love. I plan to read more, but I'm also glad to hear that they get better.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Listening the the A Blink of the Screen on audiobook, I finally got to hear Stephen Briggs do the witches, and he's almost as bad at it as he is good at doing the Ankh-Morpork cast. I would really like to hear those books re-recorded with a female narrator.

(Actually, I'd like to hear multiple narrators for lots of books, but I guess the market just isn't there.)

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Rand Brittain posted:

Listening the the A Blink of the Screen on audiobook, I finally got to hear Stephen Briggs do the witches, and he's almost as bad at it as he is good at doing the Ankh-Morpork cast. I would really like to hear those books re-recorded with a female narrator.

(Actually, I'd like to hear multiple narrators for lots of books, but I guess the market just isn't there.)

Theif of Time had multiple narrators including Harlon Ellison. It owned bones.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Starting The Light Fantastic today :toot:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I have yet to hear a good Pratchett audiobook.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
For my money, if there's one author it's better to read off a page, it's Pratchett - you miss a lot when the puns are spoken, not to mention DEATH's, and the likes of Azreal in Reaper Man and alll that jazz*. I just can't see audiobooks doing proper justice to semi-subtle puns like the names of the pseudo-north-african nations in Pyramids etc.

*and footnotes

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Pidmon posted:

Theif of Time had multiple narrators including Harlon Ellison. It owned bones.

I really like that version's Death, as I think I've mentioned before (he did Death as deep and flatly calm instead of overdoing the bass), and a lot of the actors weren't very good at a variety of voices, either. Lobsang as read by the narrator from the Oi Dong scenes felt like a completely different character from the Lobsang voiced by Susan's narrator.

Still, it was way above Briggs giving everybody from the monastery a generic bad Asian accent.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So I've just read Dodger. I see what people mean when they say it could've been easily set in the Discworld.
Also reading through A Blink of the Screen. Just finished The High Meggas short story. It was quite interesting to read, if only to see just how much of The Long Earth series was Terry's idea. There's a lot more ideas from Terry in it than I initiallly thought.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The High Meggas story just made me realise even more that The Long Earth was a cool setting in desperate need of an interesting story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

idonotlikepeas posted:

As someone who read them as they were published in America, Mort was absolutely a major turning point, it was the first one where I really got chills from how heavy the emotions and stakes were, rather than just giggling at puns.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
For those of you hoping Rhianna would continue the series, I've got some bad news. The Shepard's Crown will be the final Discworld novel.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...s-10312426.html

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

red plastic cup posted:

For those of you hoping Rhianna would continue the series, I've got some bad news. The Shepard's Crown will be the final Discworld novel.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...s-10312426.html

That's for the best, really. Rhianna isn't a bad writer but she doesn't come close to Terry (though she has room to grow of course).

As long as the Watch series is still being made.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Adaptions, spin offs, maybe tie ins gives a lot of leeway, including even future books set on the disc, so long as only the Pratchett books are classed as 'discworld novels'.

I also note that the Shepherds crown has been branded as 'a discworld novel'. The other Tiffancy Aching books weren't branded as discworld novels, were they?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

mediadave posted:

Adaptions, spin offs, maybe tie ins gives a lot of leeway, including even future books set on the disc, so long as only the Pratchett books are classed as 'discworld novels'.

I also note that the Shepherds crown has been branded as 'a discworld novel'. The other Tiffancy Aching books weren't branded as discworld novels, were they?

I believe they are Discworld young adult. Granny is a recurring character.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mediadave posted:

The first three were billed as "A Story of Discworld" in hardback, but all UK editions postdating ISWM hb are "A Discworld Novel".

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Is the long utopia worth bothering with? long mars didn't really do it for me.

fluppet fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 24, 2015

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Ursine Asylum posted:

My wife couldn’t get more than a couple pages into Colour, but she had seen and enjoyed the BBC Hogswatch thing so I recommended she start with Mort. It was a Good Idea.

Minor note: the TV adaptations of Hogfather, The Colour of Magic and Going Postal were made by a production company called The Mob for satellite channel Sky One, not the BBC.

They had planned to go on and make Unseen Academicals and then Sourcery but for reasons that were never really fully disclosed those projects were quietly shitcanned just before filming on Unseen was scheduled to start, and the rights all reverted to Pratchett's own company, Narrativia.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Which is for the best, the Hogfather was the best and Going Postal had some good ideas but the rest of the stuff they did was rubbish.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Going Postal had great casting but they didn't stick the landing very well. Still worth a watch, though Hogfather is by far the best adaptation of his work ever in my book.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

precision posted:

Going Postal had great casting but they didn't stick the landing very well. Still worth a watch, though Hogfather is by far the best adaptation of his work ever in my book.

Agreed.

David Jason was the perfect Albert. Why the gently caress did he suddenly think Rincewind was the better role?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Agreed.

David Jason was the perfect Albert. Why the gently caress did he suddenly think Rincewind was the better role?

I've always wondered if whoever was in charge of the casting ever read the book, or just simply looked at the cover.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

precision posted:

Going Postal gave us Charles Dance as Vetinari. :allears:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Honestly that is one the better highlights of the Going Postal adaption.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Honestly that is one the better highlights of the Going Postal adaption.

Along with David Suchet as Reacher Gilt, "Well that's an embuggerance" and the props for Dave's Pin Emporium. I'm really regretting that I flew to the 2012 Con, because the sign for the Pin Emporium was in the auction and if I could have carried it home I would own it now.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hated the adaptation's Reacher Gilt. Just a cackling saturday morning cartoon evilguy, when in the book he was a charming, honey-voiced, suave, partying motherfucker - and basically Moist's evil twin. He should have been an affable conman and instead he was basically Doctor Robotnik.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I wasn't a fan of the large number of times the Times showed his face on the newspaper transitions (or that Angua just flat out transformed in front of a criminal).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For some reason I always pictured Angua as a redhead.

e: wait, Angua = Anger? That has to be on purpose

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Pretty sure she was always blonde. She was from the uhh...Scandinavianny place with the other werewolves and the snow...oh, I'm a bad Discworlder.

On that note, having just finished the Death series, I'm wondering where to go next. Tempted to already reread Night Watch after Thief of Time though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

VagueRant posted:

Pretty sure she was always blonde. She was from the uhh...Scandinavianny place with the other werewolves and the snow...oh, I'm a bad Discworlder.

On that note, having just finished the Death series, I'm wondering where to go next. Tempted to already reread Night Watch after Thief of Time though.

Uberwald, and yes I think she was described as blonde in Men at Arms.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

VagueRant posted:

She was from the uhh...Scandinavianny place with the other werewolves and the snow...oh, I'm a bad Discworlder.

Überwald. Which is western Europe Transylvania type place, not Scandinavia. But yeah, she's always been blonde. That's one of the ways Carrot works out that she's a werewolf; because blonde wolves are rather rare.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Stroth posted:

Überwald. Which is western Europe Transylvania type place, not Scandinavia. But yeah, she's always been blonde. That's one of the ways Carrot works out that she's a werewolf; because blonde wolves are rather rare.

Well, the blonde hair, and the fact that she transformed into a werewolf after they enjoyed a night in bed. That was a bit of a clue.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

immoral_ posted:

Well, the blonde hair, and the fact that she transformed into a werewolf after they enjoyed a night in bed. That was a bit of a clue.

That doesn't happen to everyone?

Um...

I have to go now.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

precision posted:

For some reason I always pictured Angua as a redhead.

e: wait, Angua = Anger? That has to be on purpose

I do recall reading that Carrot was undergoing Angua management training. Don't remember which book though.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I know it's wrong but I still pronounce it "AN Gyoo Ah" in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

freebooter posted:

I know it's wrong but I still pronounce it "AN Gyoo Ah" in my head.

That's how I've always said it too. How is it meant to be said? Ang-wah?