Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Wow, just wow. The world is indeed just, I have learned this from your magnificent writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Boomers build their housing values up by keeping their lawns tidy and their driveways power-washed. A generation of carefully making sure they performed all the correct rituals to increase property values. They earned this, they worked for it.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

MickeyFinn posted:

Wow, just wow. The world is indeed just, I have learned this from your magnificent writing.
Actually, the world is indeed thus.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I disagree with all the "well, we worked hard for this!" poo poo, but I agree with the attitude of: if you can't afford it, move. Eventually, Vancouver and its rich rear end in a top hat inhabitants won't have anyone to perform basic services, and then the property values will plummet. If you can't afford to live in/near Vancouver, then loving don't, and quit bitching. That's how I deal with the insane cost of housing in Vancouver, and it's working out extremely well for me!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

PT6A posted:

I disagree with all the "well, we worked hard for this!" poo poo, but I agree with the attitude of: if you can't afford it, move. Eventually, Vancouver and its rich rear end in a top hat inhabitants won't have anyone to perform basic services, and then the property values will plummet. If you can't afford to live in/near Vancouver, then loving don't, and quit bitching. That's how I deal with the insane cost of housing in Vancouver, and it's working out extremely well for me!

Totally. When you have doctors agonizing over the inability to stay in Vancouver, it doesn't exactly bode well.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
At this point I have zero loyalty to the city that I was born and raised in, because it doesn't give two shits about me in return. I live here to be close to friends and family and because renting is affordable, but once my wife and I are ready to poop out some kids, or when taxes start going up to pay for boomers'... well, everything, you can kiss my rear end goodbye. No way am I funding these assholes' retirements and medical costs when they quite obviously don't give a poo poo about me or my generation.

If you can't make it work in Vancouver, move somewhere else. The beautiful city I once knew is pretty much gone at this point, and unless you have a social network you are plugged into that makes it worthwhile, why bother?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

PT6A posted:

Go east, young man.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What the Earth really needs is an opportunistic strain of superflu to wipe out the boomers.

* excepting boomers I care about

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My parents' four bedroom house near the grouse mountain gondola was the same price as my one bed wood frame condo on a busy street in a much worse neighborhood. They sure worked harder than me by having it go up 800% in value during my teenage years.

Meanwhile I'm about to hit the 10 year mark of condo ownership and my place hasn't gone up a penny. I should have worked harder!!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Well obviously if you had grass to mow your property value would've increased 742% in that 10 year time period.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

unlimited shrimp posted:

What the Earth really needs is an opportunistic strain of superflu to wipe out the boomers.

* excepting boomers I care about

We could easily raise 2 Billion people to the highest standard of living in human history, it just involves getting rid of the excess 4 Billion. :v:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

jm20 posted:

Well obviously if you had grass to mow your property value would've increased 742% in that 10 year time period.

That's the funny part, people used to say if you got a condo you were on the property ladder and move up. But nope, not anymore, condos are flat and houses keep getting more expensive, so I'm just as hosed as a renter. Only "just as" and not worse because my place is pretty ghetto/old and can't really drop in value much, and I have a super low mortgage that I could still afford if interest rates quadruple.

And if north shore condos are ever worth less than $200k Vancouver's gonna have bigger issues.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Totally. When you have doctors agonizing over the inability to stay in Vancouver, it doesn't exactly bode well.

It is amazing to see the disconnect in how they are going to cash in on all their hardwork, while simultaneously salting the earth for everyone younger than 50. (Yes, I am aware that it gets worse the younger you are.)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

There's a small handful of places where I could see condos rising in value over time, mostly in areas that are currently affordable with few condos, but which will likely become more desirable in the future due to gentrification, or better transit connections or people just realizing that the neighbourhood exists.

The huge majority of condos though, typical cheap, tiny single bedroom places in random towers across Coquitlam, Burnaby, whatever, I can't see substantially moving in value at all.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 27, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a total disconnect over the health of the city vs its real-estate prices. There's a real idea that the economy and quality of life in the city don't matter, all that matters is real-estate prices and those things have nothing to do with each other. The city could become totally abandoned without any humans, all that matters is the prices keep going up and why won't they? They will always go up because vancouver is a great place to invest in real-estate, it's a great place to invest because prices keep going up, because people keep investing in it. You don't invest in the city because you need housing or even want to live there, you're investing because the prices keep going up. The city doesn't need an economy, it's perpetually rising housing prices are its economy, and it's green and renewable and sustainable. Imagine an economy where no one has to work, no industry, no jobs at all, everyone just grows fat on real-estate speculation. If you're not there to speculate why are you even in Vancouver?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Anecdote time: I'm looking* for a place to rent in Vancouver, and it's super difficult and expensive compared to times in the past. I'm surprised, what with all the condo inventory that's come online. Anyone encountering similar?

I suspect that price:rent is nowhere near as favourable to renting as it once was.

*: Yes, I often complain about the place, and I'm not a huge fan of it, but I need to be in the city for a while for family reasons

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yep. And according to Shelley fralic, get on board the ~equity ~ train or get the gently caress out

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

There's a total disconnect over the health of the city vs its real-estate prices. There's a real idea that the economy and quality of life in the city don't matter, all that matters is real-estate prices and those things have nothing to do with each other. The city could become totally abandoned without any humans, all that matters is the prices keep going up and why won't they? They will always go up because vancouver is a great place to invest in real-estate, it's a great place to invest because prices keep going up, because people keep investing in it. You don't invest in the city because you need housing or even want to live there, you're investing because the prices keep going up. The city doesn't need an economy, it's perpetually rising housing prices are its economy, and it's green and renewable and sustainable. Imagine an economy where no one has to work, no industry, no jobs at all, everyone just grows fat on real-estate speculation. If you're not there to speculate why are you even in Vancouver?

I've seen people in Calgary interested in buying a condo in Vancouver purely as an investment, not even to live there. It makes absolutely no loving sense to me. God knows if I wanted to invest that amount of money in real estate, I'd be doing it somewhere with a better climate and a path to an EU passport (Málaga or Sevilla both seem rather nice), so I could actually enjoy it in the meantime and have a (useful) legacy to give to any children I might have.

Canadians are pretty dumb, imho.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just this year almost everyone I know in Vancouver who rents are looking for new places due to rent increases or upkeep shortcomings (or quite often both). Two people were outright priced out, most are just fed up with their constantly rising rents in what are quickly becoming falling apart slums with little to no maintenance being done. All report that finding something similar to what they are currently in (but not falling apart) is out of their price range, and everything in their price range is either in a horrible place far away from their job, or has a loving shared bathroom. Some lament that they might have to move back to Victoria, which apparently carries a level of shame amongst Vancouverites as moving back to your parent's house in terms of level of social and economic failure.

At the same time the few people I know who bought a Vancouver* condo are still gushing about how great and awesome it is to own and not be paying some slum lord's mortgage anymore.

*Coquitlam or Delta at the closest, no one can afford anything in Vancouver proper.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yeah the rental market has gone completely off the rails in the past two years like I have never seen before in the near decade I've been down here. We're headed for a very major housing crisis in the next year or two if this keeps up.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I don't think Vancouverites see Victoria that way. I would love to live there but the idea of it being even harder for my wife and I to find a good job there scares us off. Plus we are both indirectly benefitting from the housing boom in our current careers.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Clearly if it is way cheaper to rent than own the problem isn't a speculative housing bubble, it's that rents are too low. Doesn't Vancouver have rent control policies?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Whistler has an even more hosed up rental market than Vancouver. The availability is SO LOW, like we seriously lucked out in finding a place that would allow pets. And rental rates are so high that's it's not actually that outrageously more expensive to buy than rent here. Honestly, with interest rates as low as they are right now, I'm sometimes tempted to try and save up a deposit and buy a house just so we don't have to go through the hell that is renting here every year.

The dumbest part is, like a good 80%+ of properties here are owned by people who just come up for the weekends, so they're totally empty most of the week.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rime posted:

Yeah the rental market has gone completely off the rails in the past two years like I have never seen before in the near decade I've been down here. We're headed for a very major housing crisis in the next year or two if this keeps up.

I have definitely noticed a sharp uptick in complaints about finding new accommodation from my renting friends. Are all the landlords simultaneously trying to move rents up to cover their mortgages at the moment?

cowofwar posted:

Clearly if it is way cheaper to rent than own the problem isn't a speculative housing bubble, it's that rents are too low. Doesn't Vancouver have rent control policies?

It does but only on tenancies. Due to the constant flipping of houses though, a lot of people are needing to move more often than they would prefer as their rentals shuffle through different owners, or get renovated. You can charge a new tenant whatever you wish.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

It's the Vancouver Sun, after all. If you open one expecting the New Yorker, you're going to be sad.

The Suns girls are the only high brow part of the newspaper.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

etalian posted:

The Suns girls are the only high brow part of the newspaper.

The Vancouver Sun is not a Quebecor paper, it's not like the other Sun papers across the country. It's more like a dumbed down local-news National Post.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I am laughing my rear end off that so many loving vancouverites are butthurt that the economist thinks this Potemkin village is boring as gently caress. Especially amusing is everyone who's never loving read the economist with the balls to call it a garbage publication.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How embarassing:

quote:

Property now Australia’s biggest industry: Property Council

The property sector now contributes more to Australian gross domestic product than mining, home ownership and financial services, new research commissioned by the Property Council of Australia shows.

In a short statement on the group’s website, Property Council of Australia chief executive Ken Morrison said the industry now had the “the largest economic footprint in Australia”.

The property sector is estimated to generate 11.5 per cent of GDP, employ 1.1 million Australians and pay $72.1 billion in state, federal and local real estate taxes each year.

“If we can unlock the potential to increase property’s contribution even further, that will mean more jobs and more prosperity for Australians,” Mr Morrison told Fairfax Media.

“Governments can help make this happen by abolishing our most distorting taxes — like stamp duty — and streamlining planning processes to make housing more affordable for all Australians.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/property-now-australias-biggest-industry-property-council/story-fn9656lz-1227372294372

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

More than financial? drat, that's insane.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh Australia...

Cultural Imperial posted:

I am laughing my rear end off that so many loving vancouverites are butthurt that the economist thinks this Potemkin village is boring as gently caress. Especially amusing is everyone who's never loving read the economist with the balls to call it a garbage publication.

The only people that cannot appreciate how boring Vancouver is, are those that have never been out of the city. Presumably this is a large part of this (boring rear end) population.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
I love that its boring because you're not threatened to be stabbed or mugged everywhere. Only the whitest suburbanite boomer would think of a city like it was some safari adventure where they get to drive by in a vehicle and watch a stabbing like a lion eating a gazelle. Idiots.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

There is a thread on my FB feed that has over 100 comments of idiot friends bitching about how this city totally isn't lovely and you're just wrong if you think it is.

It's pathetic.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Melian Dialogue posted:

I love that its boring because you're not threatened to be stabbed or mugged everywhere. Only the whitest suburbanite boomer would think of a city like it was some safari adventure where they get to drive by in a vehicle and watch a stabbing like a lion eating a gazelle. Idiots.

Hey, our local constabulary are doing their best to liven the city up. Cut them some slack you jerk.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If Vancouver is heaven I would sure hate to see hell.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Vancouver has done a good job marketing itself though. I've never been there, yet when I hear about it I imagine a nice climate, trees, a bit of misty rain, and shiny condos, despite reading pages and pages of this thread saying it's terrible.

So... nice job, whichever nanobot or marketing campaign implanted this image of Vancouver into my head over the years.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It's fine. These guys are retard crybabies

Someone was rude to me!! ONLY IN VANCOUVER :rolleyes:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You know the most stupid stuck up piece of poo poo you went to high school with? That's everyone in Vancouver.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yesterday at the corner of main and Broadway, I was helping an old woman with a gimped knee walk to the bus stop. The woman was out of her loving mind and who stopped to help me and call BC ambulance? American tourists.

This was during rush hour you loving cunts

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If you want to see Vancouver as a post apocalyptic wasteland watch battlestar galactica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Jumpingmanjim posted:

If you want to see Vancouver as a post apocalyptic wasteland watch battlestar galactica

I assume CI watches the nuke scene like conspiracy theorists watch the zapruder film.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 28, 2015